Luke_z_Brna

How to set texture/pic on billboard

Hello. I would like to ask you how can i set texture/pic on billboard. I have picture in 512x512 in .jpg format. I used settexture code/script or what is it but it didnt work.

Best regards DonbassCZ

Such as in Eden? You'll want to convert that file to .paa using Arma Tools. JPEG files won't load well.

I'm not at home but can get you the code to put in the object init later. If you're in a hurry, you can download Inshallah or Oasis of Marah in my signature (these have the least mod requirements) and search around for my billboards with custom ISIS/Taliban flag emblems.

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find the code for you to save you some time. BRB.

• Like 1

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0,"myPicture.paa"];

Place the .paa file in your mission root for this to work. If not I can get you the exact code I use after I get out of work.

You'll want to convert the .jpg to .png first (right click on it if you're on Windows 10. Click edit, and change the file type). Then open Arma Tools and use image to paa and direct it to the .png location.

• Like 1

Ok I looked at my missions. I use this exact code I posted but without the "Global" part. Not sure what global would stand for in this sense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

If it's a multiplayer mission, use global.

Hmmm. I got the code I use from a buddy (without Global) and that's all he makes is MP missions and the image loads fine on all clients.

What happens if you don't use Global? It seems to work but am I missing something about it?

Global means you do it on one machine and it automagically happens on all machines. That's why it's best for multiplayer.

It's possible your friend is using setobjecttexture and then using code to execute the command on all machines. With the advent of setobjecttextureglobal, that technique is redundant.

27 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Global means you do it on one machine and it automagically happens on all machines. That's why it's best for multiplayer.

It's possible your friend is using setobjecttexture and then using code to execute the command on all machines. With the advent of setobjecttextureglobal, that technique is redundant.

Oh ok. Even if I place the code directly in the object init and have the paa placed in the mission file itself I still need to run the global command for connecting clients to see the image?

I mean, I don't mind changing it in my released missions. I just want to make sure it's totally necessary for all clients to see the item and that I'm definitely doing it wrong (I can't test my MP releases with other people. I just wait for someone to complain before fixing stuff lol).

8 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

According to the biki, putting setobjecttextureglobal doesn't work if you put it in the init in the editor.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setObjectTextureGlobal

Interesting. On that page, Killzone Kid says this:

There is no need for remote execution of local command, when you can put local command into init field and it will do EXACTLY this, execute it everywhere and for JIP too

Doesn't that mean I'm doing it correctly?

Also, DB! Do NOT USE GLOBAL in the init field unless you want the code to execute a million times!!

If I understand it correctly, using the non global command is preferred if you're using the editor init fields because the editor init fields ARE executed on every machine. Therefore, you don't need to global them.

• Like 1

So I've been trying this for a good hour now and I'm about to have an aneurysm. What's the simplest way to do this?