tinboye

Running Dedicated server/HC on same machine.

I hope someone can help me out.

I am having problems running my HC on the same machine as the dedicated server box.

if you read my forum https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/201898-headless-client-issues-since-v158

you can get more details on the issue I am having, If i could move the post to this section of the forum I would.

the issue I have is my HC can connect to my server remotely, but not when its ran from the same box.

I believe its to do with IP routing/Ports.

screenshots are in the post above.

I hope someone can help me out.

thanks

are you running your HC on the exact same machine. exact same folder as your running server from? I have no router, no firewall, ip address is static, and as i said earlier, I can connect remotely with my pc here in canada, to the server in france fine as HC, but running it on the same machine does not work.

I also went as far as installing a dedicated server on my pc in canada, and ran the same bat file that works in arma3 game folder, just changed the arma3.exe to arma3server.exe and when I do that, hc does not even  try to connect.

According to the question you asked, which is a quote from your other thread , I am assuming you are trying to run your HC and your Dedi server from the same folder

You cannot do that, they must be on seperate installs (Folders) they cannot share the same resources.

You should also avoid trying to run a bunch of addons until you have proven your basic install, your only going to add to the confusion

Strip all your addons out from your initialisation, disable battleye and start with the most basic of server install and HC install as you can get, prove that then add complexity

Hope that helps

i will try this out ty terox, as far as stripping all the addons and such, the server works fine, the HC runs fine, it was just the fact that the HC could not run off the same machine. I will setup a HC server on the machine and see if it connects!

so just had time to do this now, and unfortunately its still not working.

I installed another arma3server on the same box. put the mods required in the folder.

added

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3server.exe" -client -connect=127.0.0.1 -port=2352 -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Zks_Items;" -noPause -noSound
pause

and like before the white client window just sits there, never connecting.

on my remote pc I tested with bat

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3.exe" -client -connect=94.23.252.71 -port=2352 -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Zks_Items;" -noPause -noSound
pause

which connects fine.

Actually, you can and should use the same folder for all mods.

I think your only problem is that in your connect line you need to add the port of the server.

-connect 127.0.0.1:2302

4 minutes ago, SSgt Ryan said:

Why?

Its much easier to manage mod folders if you separate them into some sort of logical format

For example, all island addons placed in an @Islands mod folder

There are some @mods that you cannot place into different mod folders, such as TFAR, this limitation I am guessing is caused by the pathing to .dll files it uses, (This is just a guess though)The only downside to having a lot of mod folders occurs on a linux system where the Bikey/Bisign verification system can get overloaded.

1 hour ago, SSgt Ryan said:

I think your only problem is that in your connect line you need to add the port of the server.

-connect 127.0.0.1:2302

If you look at the commandlines I posted, they contain the ports there. 

-connect=127.0.0.1 -port=2352

Actually, you are defining the port that the headless is running on with -port. Trust me. I've tested this many, many times. Any instance of arma3 or arma3server.exe requires a port because technically even clients can host their own instance that is multiplayer capable.

I run multiple servers and hc's for those servers all on the same IP. How do you think you think you tell the different HC to connect to the right server when all instances are running on a box with the same IP?

1 hour ago, terox said:

Why?

Its much easier to manage mod folders if you separate them into some sort of logical format

For example, all island addons placed in an @Islands mod folder

There are some @mods that you cannot place into different mod folders, such as TFAR, this limitation I am guessing is caused by the pathing to .dll files it uses, (This is just a guess though)The only downside to having a lot of mod folders occurs on a linux system where the Bikey/Bisign verification system can get overloaded.

I was unclear in that part of my post. I meant the arma3 main folder should contain all your mods, but yes, the mods should be broken up. You just don't need multiple installations of the game on the same PC to run multiple servers.

hmm interesting, i will test this out, does not state this anywhere in the HC guides.  but my question to you then is, why can i use that commandline to connect to a server on remote host and it connects.

Because you are using the public IP address to find the server which defaults to the 2302 port, (or whatever the server instance is using) using the internal 127.0.0.1 does not default the port for some reason. 

This has been something I've been meaning to add to the wiki, but it's always down or I forget my user account when I go to do it.

So i went into my dedibox server folder, made a copy of the arma3server.exe to arma3hcserver.exe

made bat file:

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3hcserver.exe" -client -connect=127.0.0.1:2342 -password=**** -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack;" -noPause -noSound
pause

i have my mission.sqm with the HC

class Item73
		{
			dataType="Logic";
			class PositionInfo
			{
				position[]={2196.9661,13.450195,13278.655};
			};
			name="Headlessclient";
			init="this enableSimulation false; this allowDamage false";
			isPlayable=1;
			description="Headlessclient";
			id=173;
			type="HeadlessClient_F";
			atlOffset=-299.74197;
		};

still all i get is

xqs3uiQ.png

when i run the hc bat via my remote game folder i get

nHj9NiT.png

Looked at your other thread. Both the headlessclients[]= and local clients[]= need the IPs wrapped in double quotes. 

Also try with battle eye disabled.

Finally -profiles should be a directory / folder location. Not sure if the way you have it for Linux is correct, but for window it is a file path

Just to clarify as best as possible since i haven't heard back and am now on my PC so i can type a bit better:

This is my setup for running the headless client:

In the Arma 3 main folder i have:

arma3server.exe

arma3server_op_1_hc_1.exe

I use shortcuts to run them. Here is the server line:

C:\steamcmd\arma_main\arma3server_op_1.exe -profiles=D:\A3_serverCFG\arma_main_CONFIG\ -par=D:\A3_serverCFG\OP_1_Param.txt

The server cfg settings for that may (i'm no 100% on all of them) HC:

kickduplicate = 0;
verifySignatures = 0;
allowedFilePatching = 0;
requiredSecureId = 0;
requiredSecureId = 0;
headlessClients[]={"127.0.0.1","104.243.34.34"};
    //List of IPs allowed to connect for Headless
    //If the HC are located on within the same VM guest use 127.0.0.1, otherwise use the local IP addressing of the VM host
    //This connection must have unlimited bandwidth and almost no latency otherwise BAD THINGS HAPPEN!
localClient[]={"127.0.0.1","104.243.34.34"};
    //List of IPs allowed unlimited bandwidth for Headless
    //If the HC are located on within the same VM guest use 127.0.0.1, otherwise use the local IP addressing of the VM host
    //This connection must have unlimited bandwidth and almost no latency otherwise BAD THINGS HAPPEN!

BattlEye = 0;

The param file for the server:

-name=server
-config=D:\A3_serverCFG\arma_main_CONFIG\op_1_config.cfg
-cfg=D:\A3_serverCFG\arma_main_CONFIG\op_1_basic.cfg
-mod=@CBA_A3;@RHSAFRF;@RHSUSAF;@RHSGREF;@RHSSAF;@task_force_radio;@CUP_Terrains;
-port=2302
-cpuCount=4
-High

The HC shortcut:

C:\steamcmd\arma_main\arma3server_op_1_hc_1.exe -profiles=D:\A3_serverCFG\arma_main_CONFIG\Headless_Clients\ -par=D:\A3_serverCFG\OP_1_HC_1_Param.txt

The param file for the hc:

-name=HC_1
-mod=@CBA_A3;@RHSAFRF;@RHSUSAF;@RHSGREF;@RHSSAF;@task_force_radio;@CUP_Terrains;
-port=2305
-connect=127.0.0.1:2302
-client
-noSound
-password=******
-High

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, SSgt Ryan said:

Looked at your other thread. Both the headlessclients[]= and local clients[]= need the IPs wrapped in double quotes. 

Also try with battle eye disabled.

Finally -profiles should be a directory / folder location. Not sure if the way you have it for Linux is correct, but for window it is a file path

I will check the server.cfg, the -profiles=hc just means it creates a folder called hc within the root folder, where ever the arma3hcserver.exe is  its no different than specifying a path, if i wanted to keep my RPT's and all that outside of the server folder.

in my server.cfg I now have

localClient[]                               = {"127.0.0.1","94.23.252.71"};
headlessClients[]                      = {"127.0.0.1","94.23.252.71","70.65.176.234"};
battleyeLicense                         =1;

BattlEye                                     =0;

I updated my bat to

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3hcserver.exe" -client -connect=127.0.0.1:2342 -port=2346 -password=1test -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack;" -noPause -noSound
exit

i check ports being used i get this

UiuAXY1.png

BYWO6lD.png

still samething no change.

If i use

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3hcserver.exe" -client -connect=127.0.0.1:2342 -password=1test -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack;" -noPause -noSound
exit

and do not include -port 2346

then it shows

kyUTr9O.png

I tried this even

localClient[] = {"127.0.0.1","94.23.252.71","0.0.0.0"};
headlessClients[] = {"127.0.0.1","94.23.252.71","70.65.176.234","0.0.0.0"};

with the above even, still no change.

Well I feel like you're doing everything right Arma 3 wise at this point to be honest.

Sometimes it's something so silly when people aren't used to each others way of doing it. Like you could be missing quotes, or used the wrong ones somewhere. I'd have no idea. But it all looks good to me.

I would try it finally with the public IP address, from the box (not from a different pc). If that doesn't work then I would say you're going to have do some digging in your OS / on the forums to find the answer.

Sorry i can't help more.

• Like 1

i appreciate the help. I already talked with the rack provider, which i rent the box from, and they say its nothing to do with the OS/hardware.

But i think it has something to do with the way the IP address/ports are routed, I run windows server 2008 r2 and have no firewall.

IIS7 is installed

i just find it strange that a remote IP can connect fine, yet the hc on the same machine cannot. I am not a network tech. Nor do i understand advanced networking for things like that.

Just sux that i have to dedicated a whole PC to run a HC. when i shouldnt have to, my dedibox has more than enough resources. 32gb ram, 8 cores etc. I have ran more than 10 arma servers at the sametime on the box.

Are you sure none of those mods requires @CBA_A3?

Last thing if you want to try. I converted all of your information to the old way i used to do it, .cmd style. Try giving this a run as a .cmd:

start "" "C:\TCAFiles\Users\komurikunmeow13\7\arma3hcserver.exe" ^
-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack; ^
-profiles=C:\TCAFiles\Users\komurikunmeow13\7\ ^
-name=HC_1 ^
-port=2346 ^
-connect=127.0.0.1:2342 ^
-client ^
-noSound ^
-High ^
-password=1test

And here it is again with public IP. If neither those work i'm not sure what the issue is:

-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack; ^
-name=HC_1 ^
-port=2346 ^
-connect=94.23.252.71:2342 ^
-client ^
-noSound ^
-High ^
-password=1test

well final solution

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3hcserver.exe" -client -connect=94.23.252.71:2342 -port=2347 -password=1test -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack;@OCP_JBad;@JBad;" -noPause -noSound
exit

F75QXIH.png

So to conclude, if you need to run hc on same machine as server, here are points to note:

1. CAN be ran from the same folder as dedicated server.

2. Must include both -connect=actual ip:port

3. Must include -port=different.unused.port for hc to connect with.

4. Battleye does not have to be disabled.

I have to thank everyone who assisted me in figuring this out! especially SSgt Ryan

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. I had contacted bohemia even and they didnt even assist me with the issue.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SSgt Ryan said:

Are you sure none of those mods requires @CBA_A3?

Last thing if you want to try. I converted all of your information to the old way i used to do it, .cmd style. Try giving this a run as a .cmd:

-name=HC_1 ^
-port=2346 ^
-connect=127.0.0.1:2342 ^
-client ^
-noSound ^
-High ^
-password=1test

And here it is again with public IP. If neither those work i'm not sure what the issue is:

-name=HC_1 ^
-port=2346 ^
-connect=94.23.252.71:2342 ^
-client ^
-noSound ^
-High ^
-password=1test

I had forgotten i had added open chernarus project with jbad, the HC still connected, but it would give the error of deleted mod. once i added those 2, it connected fine.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:26 AM, tinboye said:

well final solution

start "Arma3hc" /min /low "arma3hcserver.exe" -client -connect=94.23.252.71:2342 -port=2347 -password=1test -profiles=hc -name=hc "-mod=@Exile;@A2OP;@ryanzombies;@RZInfection_for_Exile;@NATO_Russian_SF_Vehicles;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons;@EBM;@RDS_Civilian_Pack;@OCP_JBad;@JBad;" -noPause -noSound
exit

F75QXIH.png

So to conclude, if you need to run hc on same machine as server, here are points to note:

1. CAN be ran from the same folder as dedicated server.

2. Must include both -connect=actual ip:port

3. Must include -port=different.unused.port for hc to connect with.

4. Battleye does not have to be disabled.

I have to thank everyone who assisted me in figuring this out! especially SSgt Ryan

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. I had contacted bohemia even and they didnt even assist me with the issue.

so 2342is the port that server running on and 2347is the random port that unused?