rasmus

3 FPS Bug and Random Crashes

50 minutes ago, M-Owen said:

There are no other news on the bug solution? Updates in sight?

Sitrep was posted today. You might want to keep your eyes on those.

my eyes are on it. No mention of it specifically. If this isnt addressed its gonna be a huge letdown to the entire community as its been some time dealing with it.

8 hours ago, NIVO72 said:

my eyes are on it. No mention of it specifically. If this isnt addressed its gonna be a huge letdown to the entire community as its been some time dealing with it.

The solution seems to be the 64-bit platform which, strangely enough, is mentioned at the bottom of that sitrep and that BI has communicated in the previous sitrep, on their twitter feed, on Reddit and on these forums.

In short, the 3fps bug is being addressed and BI have mentioned it. Many times and on via many media.

I haven't tested the 64 bits version yet, so I think it's too soon to say it fixes the 3 fps bug...

Remember (and I think I'm repeating myself here :( ) : the fact the game goes to 3 FPS and/or crashes is only the "symptom", not the bug itself.

The 64 bits version obviously remove (or delay) this symptom, but the only way to prove the bug itself has been fixed is to limit the memory usage with "maxmem" and check if the game memory consumption stabilise near the limit or not.

If the bug is still there, the 64 bits version will allow us to play longer... but we won't be able to prevent a big "system wide" freeze...

1 hour ago, Faelucc said:

I haven't tested the 64 bits version yet, so I think it's too soon to say it fixes the 3 fps bug...

Remember (and I think I'm repeating myself here :( ) : the fact the game goes to 3 FPS and/or crashes is only the "symptom", not the bug itself.

The 64 bits version obviously remove (or delay) this symptom, but the only way to prove the bug itself has been fixed is to limit the memory usage with "maxmem" and check if the game memory consumption stabilise near the limit or not.

If the bug is still there, the 64 bits version will allow us to play longer... but we won't be able to prevent a big "system wide" freeze...

Rather than speculate, why don't you simply try?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faelucc said:

Well I can say that since i switched to 64bit, i have not had the issue occur once. It used to happen every day without fail, and i have been on 64bit now for 4 weeks-it has not happened at all. So for me at least, I call that fixed.

54 minutes ago, domokun said:

Rather than speculate, why don't you simply try?

I already did a lot of tests on the 32 bits version, using several tools I know to debug a software (and investigate on memory usage)... I found a lot of things, and each time I had to check if it was related to this bug or not (and navigating through the code can be complicated without the sources...). As you can see, while I dont have a real proof, I'm not convinced. And while I'm not convinced about what I find, I don't come here to say I found something :p I wrote down the results of my tests, but they're still not precise enough.

Doing tests by following stricts procedures takes a lot of time, so I'm currently waiting to be on vacation to do more tests on the 64 bits version...

1 hour ago, ineptaphid said:

Well I can say that since i switched to 64bit, i have not had the issue occur once. It used to happen every day without fail, and i have been on 64bit now for 4 weeks-it has not happened at all. So for me at least, I call that fixed.

If the bug is fixed, fine! If it's not, but most people don't play too long and with too high graphic settings to see the symptoms, It's propably ok for them. But for the guys who can play with the settings maxed out, it may still be an issue (that's why I prefer to be sure : I don't want to hope too much and be disappointed at the end :p)

Everything is very disheartening, I always believed in this project, but today they are no longer safe. On this forum I will not write "I want my money back" but I wish the ArmA developers there actually were saying what is happening. This is a thread inserted on the official forum and I think more or less the problem is common to all players. I'd love to read their press release devoted to the problem, even knew what happened and above all what is being done to solve.

15 hours ago, M-Owen said:

Everything is very disheartening, I always believed in this project, but today they are no longer safe. On this forum I will not write "I want my money back" but I wish the ArmA developers there actually were saying what is happening. This is a thread inserted on the official forum and I think more or less the problem is common to all players. I'd love to read their press release devoted to the problem, even knew what happened and above all what is being done to solve.

Have you read the dev's Sitreps? I think you'll find that they provide a lot of answers to your questions

https://dev.arma3.com/sitrep

17 hours ago, skream said:

I want my money back...

After 4 years of gaming?

1 hour ago, domokun said:

Hai letto Sitreps del dev? Credo che troverete che essi forniscono un sacco di risposte alle vostre domande

https://dev.arma3.com/sitrep

I read Sitreps, and I also read that you probably should release the update next week.
I hope that in the next update the problem of low FPS and system crashes is actually solved.
My complaint is directed to the fact that until now has been very frustrating to play in these conditions, it is not nice to play with your team in multiplayer and having to leave the game server. I had the problem since it was released the latest update 1.66, from the time I can not play.

2 hours ago, domokun said:

After 4 years of gaming?

I had a working product to a product broken because of an update, If it were a car I would have the problem fixed free of charge. However because its a game Bohemia seem to think that because we spent money on it so long ago they don't need to fix it. 

They Updated it They Broke it.

@skream That's how software development works: there is bug, and they will fix it, "free of charge" (they never said they won't). Did you ask Microsoft the same thing about their OS?

If you know better than anyone what's is that bug and how to fix it, why don't you share that with us? :)

27 minutes ago, Faelucc said:

@skream That's how software development works: there is bug, and they will fix it, "free of charge" (they never said they won't). Did you ask Microsoft the same thing about their OS?

If you know better than anyone what's is that bug and how to fix it, why don't you share that with us? :)

I havent ever said I knew how to fix it. 

This isn't software development. This is a product they have made 100's of 1000's off of. Customer service and letting the customers know what is going on should be forefront. 

This isn't just any bug. This is game breaking, and it's frankly crippling to some of the larger communities out there. This is BIs flagship game, and this has already taken way too long to fix. People I know, including myself, who have been die-hard fans of the game series since OFP, are losing faith in both BI's ability to fix this issue, and quite frankly, the willingness and urgency of how they go about it. This needs to be a "drop everything else and concentrate on this" issue, or else I fear a large part of the community will simply abandon BI's products in the future. I'm certain some of the larger communities are already at the point where they will think twice before buying DLCs and new games in the future.

16 hours ago, skream said:

I havent ever said I knew how to fix it. 

This isn't software development. This is a product they have made 100's of 1000's off of. Customer service and letting the customers know what is going on should be forefront. 

I'm sorry but this IS software development.

Arma is a piece of software (not hardware) and it is still in development. In fact, I'd suggest that they're using a Waterfall model, probably Agile software development.

The size of the customer installed base has nothing to do with this fact. In fact, BI sold 2.5M copies of A3 in 2016 and possibly 3M by this year.

BI is fixing it. I agree that the fix has taken BI longer than many of us would like. But fixing bugs can take many months. Especially when reproducibility is difficult.

But don't get me wrong. I think that the 6+ months that it's taken for BI to fix this has dented it's reputation among consumers.

Essentially it's down to a prioritisation of limited resources.

Trust me, I've worked in software development for 15+ years.

• Like 1

The bug is not a simple solution. I think it is a clear concept to all consumers and the fun of ArmA 3, which always use the BI software.
For the solution of this problem is taking a long time, all this creates discontent, especially in large and small gaming groups.
I am confident that this week will be released the latest update, I look forward to receive and read the long-awaited news.
ArmA 3 is one of my favorite games and I would not be disappointed by another software failure.

• Like 1

1. It took way too long for BI to publicly acknowledge this bug. (This affects community moral - that feeling of being ignored).

2. I still don't think it's being taken as seriously as it should be. From day 1, BI priorities have been off (how many 2035 mods are there? ;) ) and seriously... who cares about Tank and Jets improvements - when the game has become broken at the core. I don't even know why that's even being discussed whilst this issue still exists. 

I actually think I got LOADS for my money with this game so I would happily pay £20 for the '3FPS removal DLC'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bravo93 said:

1. It took way too long for BI to publicly acknowledge this bug. (This affects community moral - that feeling of being ignored).

If you think BI "publicly acknowledged" this bug only the 2017-02-06 (when they oppened the "3FPS Issue" - Call for Help topic), you probably missed this bug report: Playing for period of time leads to low framerate (3 FPS) and never recovers, created the 2016-07-04 (and razazel is on it since the 2016-07-12). Some others bug reports may exist.

4 hours ago, bravo93 said:

who cares about Tank and Jets improvements

Some people don't have the 3 FPS bug, so they care about the future :)

10 hours ago, Faelucc said:

Se si pensa che la BI "pubblicamente riconosciuto" questo bug solo il 2017/02/06 (quando oppened il "3 fps Emissione" - richiesta di aiuto argomento), probabilmente perso questo bug report: Giocare per il periodo di tempo porta a basso framerate ( 3 FPS) e mai recupera , ha creato il 2016/07/04 (e razazel è su di esso in quanto il 2016/07/12). Possono esistere alcune segnalazioni altri bug.

Alcune persone non hanno il bug 3 fps, in modo che si preoccupano del futuro :)

is no excuse, It is a common problem of many players.

18 hours ago, Faelucc said:

Well I play in a community of 80 people, and I don't think there's a single person there who has never got this bug.

Even if you don't get it, how can you even play the game properly when the rest of your section/squad are constantly crashing out randomly? It's massively disruptive for any clan/community. 

If the 'future' is 3FPS bug for most people, with shiny new tanks and planes - I'm out.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:54 AM, Faelucc said:

If you think BI "publicly acknowledged" this bug only the 2017-02-06 (when they oppened the "3FPS Issue" - Call for Help topic), you probably missed this bug report: Playing for period of time leads to low framerate (3 FPS) and never recovers, created the 2016-07-04 (and razazel is on it since the 2016-07-12). Some others bug reports may exist.

As the submitter of the bug report, it wasn't even new by that time and there were active threads being contributed to by BIS team members. Frustrating as it has been to all of us, the fact that it hasn't been fully resolved just speaks to its complexity. It definitely isn't for lack of attention from BIS.