rasmus

3 FPS Bug and Random Crashes

Are u using any mods?

My experience so far happens only on 3 Coop servers hosted by the same clan, while using a particular mod. Removed the offending mod and everying went smooth.

Check the "Arma 3.exe" in Windows Task Manager, FPS drop happens when it's Working Set (Memory) goes up to about 3GB, 25-30min after joining the server.

No, I'm not using any mod.

2 hours ago, -Snipes- said:

FPS drop happens when it's Working Set (Memory) goes up to about 3GB

Yes, cause it seems it's a memory leak. The hard part is to find what should be freed and curently isn't. That's why some people say that going to 64 bits will "solve" the issue (ability to use more memory). Actually, it will only "delay" the issue, AND you will have to limit the memory used by the game if you don't want to have 3 fps (or less) when your OS will start to use the swap (your RAM will be full at this moment)...

As i don't use any mod, I'm pretty convinced the leak occurs in the base game :p

• Like 2

21 hours ago, alexbu said:

Hey guys,

A friend an I just tried -maxMem2047 for about 1 hour on EPM1 KOTH and it worked fine, no FPS drop or any crash ! :yay:

Good evening guys,

I go back on my lastest comment (see above): I crashed once today (in 3 hours). I was dead and wanted to respawn, pressed ESC and then I got a black screen. I could't do ALT+TAB / WIN+TAB / CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Nothing was responding, I had to turn off the computer manually. What is weird is that I could still hear people talking in the chat, meanning the game was still open.

ps: My start up parameters  were: -maxMem2047 -skipIntro -noSplash

Right after the crash I desabled -skipIntro -noSplash and it did not crash again

I guess that was an isolated crash, what do you think?

6 hours ago, alexbu said:

Good evening guys,

I go back on my lastest comment (see above): I crashed once today (in 3 hours). I was dead and wanted to respawn, pressed ESC and then I got a black screen. I could't do ALT+TAB / WIN+TAB / CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Nothing was responding, I had to turn off the computer manually. What is weird is that I could still hear people talking in the chat, meanning the game was still open.

Right after the crash I desabled -skipIntro -noSplash and it did not crash again

I agree, this sounds like a different issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Faelucc said:

Here the result:

Command line parameters: "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -exThreads=7 -enableHT -maxmem=2047 -mod=

Played for 1h45 on 2 differents PvE servers. On Altis with infantry, ground and air vehicles (as passenger), explosions, heavy fights, lots of AI, more than 50 players (everything you can expect in Arma 3...).

I played for >1h longer than usual, but this is "normal" when i reduce the view distance to 1600m (which was the case here, cause i forgot to change the server specific settings...)

In the rpt file, as always: "DX11 error : CreateTexture failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY" several times during the 3fps drop (with a lot of memory stats), and repeated at the end of the logs (cause of the crash).

So it seems to be the same bug with and without the "-maxmem=2047" parameter :(

Thanks for the details. Definitely the same issue. I wonder why you are not seeing the same improvements as others in this thread? The only difference in parameters between you and I is the-exThreads=7 but I can't imagine why that would make a difference.

Ever since the last patch my in-game FPS is horrible, 20fps for non-combat operations and then as soon as we get into the shit my fps will drop to 9fps, I haven't had this 3FPS issue but since this last patch, the whole game under performs more so then ever before. Changing my setting does nothing, I've changed everything to low and has no effect. Crazy :down:

Hi!

Because it is related, and not everyone reads SITREPs, here a quote from SITREP #00186:

Some of our players have been reporting an issue where their game performance degrades drastically over time. We've already spent months hunting the infamous '3FPS Issue'. The process has led to various improvements and fixes, but we have not yet been able to find the full cure. Project Lead Petr Kolář asks the community for help on the forums once more: "As we are yet unable to reproduce said behavior on our internal machines, we need your help to crush this issue. There is a Feedback Tracker ticket about this issue, we would like to ask anyone experiencing said behavior to collect their dxdiag data (simply by typing "dxdiag" in their start menu and saving the profile, removing the Machine Name and Machine ID parts) and trying to get minidumps of their memory prior and after the issue using ProcDump (thanks to the guys from Microsoft for recommending this software to us)." We hope to have some results soon and will continue the pursuit for a solution. We once again apologize to anyone affected. Ensuring a more consistent game performance is and will remain our priority.

Here the link for twitter:

The need to use a dump of the process memory proves that it's more complex than an already complex memory leak :(

I'll provide that when i can, and wish you good luck!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 2:53 PM, Faelucc said:

Here the result:

Command line parameters: "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -exThreads=7 -enableHT -maxmem=2047 -mod=

Played for 1h45 on 2 differents PvE servers. On Altis with infantry, ground and air vehicles (as passenger), explosions, heavy fights, lots of AI, more than 50 players (everything you can expect in Arma 3...).

I played for >1h longer than usual, but this is "normal" when i reduce the view distance to 1600m (which was the case here, cause i forgot to change the server specific settings...)

In the rpt file, as always: "DX11 error : CreateTexture failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY" several times during the 3fps drop (with a lot of memory stats), and repeated at the end of the logs (cause of the crash).

So it seems to be the same bug with and without the "-maxmem=2047" parameter :(

Hello Faelucc

Try playing a bit more with the setting, also try to increase your view distance as you please to see how it runs. I would imagine that the game still runs better or longer with the setting enabled. You can also set another parameter if you want to try something more, try to set this -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi

I know that this is the default allocator, but i have for some reason had more success with both settings enabled. I know it doesn't make much sense, but what can i say... Arma. :)

Also when you get the 3 FPS but, does your game crash or are you just stuck with the 3 FPS bug?

On 2/5/2017 at 10:13 PM, alexbu said:

Good evening guys,

Funny that you should mention this, i have never really had problems with crashes like these until yesterday. My game crashed like you describe, at first i thought it was my graphics driver going but it appeared to be an Arma 3 Error (i didn't get to see it in time before the screen went black again). I could hear people talk on TS for a short while and then i got out of the frozen state back to desktop. However my Audio was crashed so hard that i couldn't get any sound out of my headphones again until i restarted my computer.

Anyhow, like pabloelkillo said, this sounds like another issue.

On 5.2.2017 at 5:46 PM, -Snipes- said:

Are u using any mods?

My experience so far happens only on 3 Coop servers hosted by the same clan, while using a particular mod. Removed the offending mod and everying went smooth.

Check the "Arma 3.exe" in Windows Task Manager, FPS drop happens when it's Working Set (Memory) goes up to about 3GB, 25-30min after joining the server.

Its a problem in general this has nothing to do with mods or modding i think. the first few times this "3FPS Bug" happend to me i realised that it just happened when smoke appeared like from Pawnees shooting rockets or Kajman using their Rocketpots. After the first 20 Times or more it happend randomly.

I too have the same problem, since the last update, it happens often during the game that I get 3 FPS !!!! Absurd!!!

I have been getting this issue for the past 2 weeks now, I feel sorry for the people who have had it for months but I had never heard of this problem until recently when it started to happen to me. It was only when I did a search and came across this thread that I realised many others are having this issue. Since I'm late to the show it would be pointless of me to follow the instruction from page 1 as it seems it does not work so I'm going to add what the trouble is that I have in game.

I mainly only play King Of The Hill and Wasteland and I can tell you this bug doesn't happen with Wasteland for me, it always happens with King Of The Hill. When I get on a server I have no problems but it always starts around the 20 minute mark and then the game will stutter getting 4fps. I have tried to wait it out and sometimes it will pass and I think to myself "oh it's fixed" until I die and then click respawn then my game crashes altogether and I have to quit. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks on a daily basis and I have no idea what it is but I hope they fix it soon but looking at the length of time it has been going on I don't hold out much hope.

It is very annoying and people are right, it is getting to the point where it's unplayable, I mean it has got to the point for me where I just don't seem interested in playing King Of The Hill anymore because I know what is about to happen. Please fix this issue and do not release anything else until it is fixed.

I opened a support ticket on this problem and invite all of you to do so, although I believe that administrators are familiar with.
They told me to uninstall the game, clean all the folders, install it again. I hope that soon resolve this issue because I believe that soon we will not have the version 64Bit

17 hours ago, ss9 said:

Instead of "hunting for the problem" just revert back to before the problem started.

I'm sure it's not quite that simple, but, um, yeah.

Hi,

I don't think that "revert" to a previous release is a good solution for that kind of issue. I'm not telling that we shouldn't talk about that, but we must understand what it really means :

1. Would you agree if BI just "give up" when they face such difficulties? And how long would we wait, without any new things and improvements, if they don't update the game until that specific bug is fixed?

2. Reverting to a previous state also means less reports and less people to test things and help, and maybe more time for a fix to be found.

Also, we need to remember that some players are not experiencing this issue... I'm jealous, but "forcing" them to play in a previous version for no reason (from their point of view) may not be fair too.

Ok ... it would not be right to restore the previous version, but we always talk about a stable version ... how is it possible?
This is not a small mistake, but one that does not allow you to play and I think it is as serious as the situation.
I see the BI advertisements about everything, but there are no updates to this common problem.

11 hours ago, ss9 said:

Well, it hasn't improved performance, so it's a step backwards, so reverting would actually be a step back in the right direction.

Some functionnalities have been added. As spmeone said on this forum, this bug exists at least since the release of APEX. Should we remove Tanoa? :p

4 hours ago, Faelucc said:

Sono stati aggiunti alcuni functionnalities. Come spmeone detto su questo forum, questo bug esiste, almeno a partire dal rilascio di APEX. Dobbiamo rimuovere Tanoa? : p

you should not remove Tanoa, you say that this bug existed long before, for me it is not true. After the last patch I have encountered this problem, so ...

On 25/02/2017 at 9:32 PM, ss9 said:

I'm not talking content and other fixes, which may or may not even be tied to the .exe.  I'm talking about the memory use functionality.

This is only possible if you know where is the issue. And, if the devs knew that, the bug would have been fixed.

Do you only know when the bug was introduced? There has been a lot of reports about it recently, but that doesn't means the bug is recent. It may have been unnoticed for a long time because the game (and the assets used) didn't use enough memory to reach the so known 4 GB limit (and crash). But with all the updates, some players started to use a lot more memory, and that's why we started to see reports.

I'm not saying that it's the case, but it's a possibility.

The only thing I know today: The game fails to limit it's "Private Data" memory section (memory allocated with the VirtualAlloc functions) to the value maxmem (manually or automatically set) under some circumstances (for example, when you die or respawn). We know when it started to be an issue, we don't know when it started to be (at all)...

On 2/2/2017 at 1:16 PM, pabloelkillo said:

There are a few guys in my group who aren't affected by this issue so I asked them the following question:

"For those who are not experiencing the "3 FPS then crash" issue, are you running -maxMem=2047 as a launch parameter by chance?"

So far, 100% of those who don't have the issue are running that parameter

Furthermore, I crashed out of every mission I played this week and up until today I crashed out of every mission I tested for over an hour. I added -maxMem=2047 to my launch parameters this afternoon and since then I've run two missions for well over an hour and haven't had a single crash.

I'm starting to get optimistic about this.

I've been using only HT and maxmem 2000 as launch paremeters for a few months and it has certainly helped with my 3fps bug, I still get it but it's like once a few hours instead of every 30 minutes as it was before. Friends I play with has also used it for a few weeks now with success.

I downgraded to win7 and it seems that 3fps bug happens very rarely now. Unfortunately I still get memory could not be written CTD every few hours or even more frequently, sometimes in menu, sometimes when closing. Vanilla or modded all the same. It seems to crash on some missions more often than others for some reason.

It's crazy to think that this has become normal among the arma communities I play with.

"Oh admin/CO/pilot/squad leader/medic crashed, goddamm broken game"

"Let me restart my game before new mission to delay the crash"

"Sorry FPS bug, let me go prone here/attempt to land the helicopter and experiment with changing resolutions before game crashes"

I'm so fed up with it. There's many things I would like to see fixed and improved like a year old aiming deadzone bug or having the archaic action menu cleaned up with quick access slot keys for inventory items: to make explosive charges actual weapons you have to pull out and not place them on the helicopter when trying to board while action menu keeps resetting when someone else boards it, or removing eject option from action menu, or grenades as actual weapons you have to switch to, to stop people from fragging friendlies with a quick key all the time or million other things that frustrate the hell out of playerbase.

But this constant crashing takes the cake ATM. Hopefully 64-bit delays crashing by a few more hours. I'm being cynical here cause at this rate I doubt it will ever get fixed. Too bad there's no competition for arma to pressure the developers. While I love this game and Im hyped for Malden free DLC or customizable aircraft arsenal from jets DLC and various other future improvements I really hope they prioritize these technical issues first and put more people on them.

Sorry for the rant. I just love this game that much.

I'll explain (again) about the "maxmem" parameter:

When you play with the "-maxMem=2047" parameter, you limit the quantity of memory the game should use in the "Private Data" section. When you don't use this parameter, the game set the parameter itself (in most cases, with a higher value).

BUT, the actual bug is: when this Private Data section is full, sometimes the game still allocate memory in it without freeing some blocks. So it use more and more memory in this section, until reaching a critical value.

Ok, now what happening:

* Without manually set the maxmem parameter: Your game will quickly fill almost all the memory in that section with cached data. This is normal. Then, you will only have a little more memory to allow he leak to "expand". So, you game will quickly crash.

* When manually setting this parameter to 2047: Your game will quickly use 2 GB of memory in that section for cached data... The memory leak is still here, but it has more free memory to expand, that's why it takes more time to reach a total of 4 GB of memory used by the process (and crash). So with this parmeter, depending on your settings, what happen and how many time you play, you may not crash. But you still have the leak.

• Like 1

There are no other news on the bug solution? Updates in sight?