rasmus

3 FPS Bug and Random Crashes

Hello, so there is this big 3 FPS issue. All my Friends arround the World got this Problem since the last big "Update". In one of the Posts on this Hub a Developer gave some Solutions, nothing worked out for me, also he said that a "few" of us got this Problem which is not true. In my opinion most of the gamers or at least half of all gamers got some hugh problems with the Game since the 1.66 Update. Is there any Information what the Dev is doing or how the progress on this Problem is?

The Newest Problem i got is that the Game is crashing and the "Arma3.exe" is still running on constant Ram in my Taskmanager, when this happens i get no Bugreport or anything that i can send towards Bohemia.

• Like 1

I really start to worry - a new sitrep out today and not a single word about the  severe memory bug. If the next DLC is released without the 6fps/memory bug fixed, i will loose my last confidence in this game.

• Like 1

I get the same feeling

Several weeks with this issue, and no one says anything, like if 64bits is going to be the magic fix, except that the game was fine for months earlier

I've played the 64bit DEV Branch, and I got that same FPS issue and I'm running a i56600k with 16gigs ddr4 Ram, with a 1070 8gig FE. I've also tested the dev 32bit and wouldn't you know it same bug. as in 1.66 I messaged them and they acted as if I was a computer noob. I replied with. "as I stated in my original post I can send my RPT and DUMP files so you guys can resolve the issues" they never responded for me to leave it for them. As for stable branch version I submitted several support requests each adding the rpt and dump files to the support teams and again no response. IDK what they are thinking, but it shouldn't be business as usual. 

• Like 1

Hey there,

All my friends and I have the same problem. Everything is ok but after few minutes (from 25 to 40) the game is crashing. Actually, the game goes into Background task. And because of that our computer do not allow all ressource to it.

I sent a message to Bohemia interactive, this is their answer:

"we will take a look into it. Please note that if this crash happens only on

King of the Hill mod then the problem is most likely in the mod itself and that

is something we cannot fix from our side."

Before receiving this message, I tried to install a previous Nividia driver (from August), run game as admin in order it does not go into background --> No result, crashs still occur.

@rasmus I really hope your topic will  gather lot of complaints in order Bohemia corrects this problem which is now happening for few weeks.

9 hours ago, jmayr2000 said:

I've played the 64bit DEV Branch, and I got that same FPS issue and I'm running a i56600k...

This is the first time hearing someone on the 64bit dev branch is getting the 3 fps problem. So just to clarify, along with the 3 fps, you're getting the texture loading bog down and objects to low polygon?

If so, you need to share your experience on the 64-bit Executables Feedback thread and/or the Feedback Tracker. I see you've messaged them, but I would go ahead and post your crash dumps anyway.

For me, the current 64bit dev version 1.67.140099 (vanilla) is working fine. No crashing. No slow-loading textures/objects after 40+ minutes of testing.

Me and my mates (4-5 guys) having the same issue, very often.
 (IFA3 mod - 1944 KOH).

- Freeze - afterwards very bad textures and 3-5 fps.

Only a gamerestart seems to fix it.

7 hours ago, kridian said:

This is the first time hearing someone on the 64bit dev branch is getting the 3 fps problem. So just to clarify, along with the 3 fps, you're getting the texture loading bog down and objects to low polygon?

If so, you need to share your experience on the 64-bit Executables Feedback thread and/or the Feedback Tracker. I see you've messaged them, but I would go ahead and post your crash dumps anyway.

For me, the current 64bit dev version 1.67.140099 (vanilla) is working fine. No crashing. No slow-loading textures/objects after 40+ minutes of testing.

I they asked me to see if it happened in a unmoded arma and said yes. then they were like verify the game and start over. I responded. I'm not a noob I tried that. The exact error was:

Version 1.67.139969
Fault time: 2017/01/13 14:50:54
Fault address:  01A6673B 01:00F8573B C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3_x64.exe 

On 1/25/2017 at 10:42 PM, kridian said:

Just to chime in here...

I get the same issue,low polygon texture bug and near to 1 FPS,after roughly 40 minutes of game play,in a scenario that runs around 50FPS with 50% of AI in mission engaging in combat at same time.

In this case...its in SINGLE PLAYER. A sudden and for unknown reason,i go from buttery smooth 50FPS or above,to almost nothing.There is no indication or clue as to why it occurs,but it lasts anywhere from a few seconds,to a few minutes,every ten or so minutes,after roughly 30-40 minutes of gameplay.

No mods which change gameplay are being used,except a few triggers here and there with bis function tasks as their activation's.

I am reinstalling TBMALLOC from Fred,to test with large pages of memory to see if it helps,as in the past it seemed to run my game smoother.

EDIT: I play on stable

I also experience this issue a lot (1 FPS, polygone mayhem) with and w/o mods, stable branch. Can it be somehow connected to sound? I think my FPS drops occur when something "exceptionally cool" happens: big explosions, gun shots, etc. I already tried without any sound mods and changed the windows sound quality settings as suggested in a different post. But no success yet

Whatever it is it needs fixing ASAP, About the only thing you can do all day in arma is build a mission in editor as long as you don't test it. Or play on a map that doesn't have a ton of objects like buildings, after the update I was playing on Fallujah map and that one is a medium map with a small amount of buildings and it ran fine. Maps like Altis, and Tanoa not a chance.

Sorry, i have no idea how to delete this "Quotes". 

So this is what i was getting as answer to my Bugreport with Loc.

Hello,

please try clean reinstallation of Arma 3:

1. Uninstall the game. 
2. Make a backup of Arma 3 folder in Documents.
3. Delete both Arma 3 folders in Documents and Steam:

\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\Documents\Arma 3

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3

4. Reboot your PC.
5. Run Steam as Admin, download the game.
6. Try to run Arma 3 (without mods).

This should fix your issue.

Best regards,

Dominik Flandera
Bohemia Interactive

Allready did that, did not work, never played Arma 3 with when the 3 FPS bug appears as long as "koth" vanilla is no mod in the traditional way.

Best regards,

On 25.1.2017 at 11:08 AM, alexbu said:

Suffered this since the last patch too, I've given up playing for now due to it crashing or chugging so badly...

13 hours ago, Nick Seafort said:

Suffered this since the last patch too, I've given up playing for now due to it crashing or chugging so badly...

What is your set up and your in game video settings.  

3.4GHz i7, 970GTX, 16GB RAM, all on SSDs. Quality settings are maxed apart from Terrain (VH), distance is varied but typically aroun 3k/1.6k/20m, HBAO+ high, FXAA Ultra and AF Ultra.

My performance is fine, right up until everything drops to distant-LOD and frames drop to the 0.5-3fps region. Sometimes resolves after 1-3mins, sometimes resolves after FLUSH, frequently leads to a crash.

This affects a significant number of people in my community, it's esssentially caused the death of a few of our recent ops... Didn't have the issue before the latest update, and now I get it within 5-40 minutes of play every time I've tried.

Getting this issue atleast once every 40 minutes with any combination of mods on any map, using the default memory allocator. The memory leak is located within the base game somewhere, not mods. ArmA 3 1.66 stable.

Hardware

i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz

16gb 3200MHz RAM

Geforce GTX 1070

Samsung 950 Pro M.2

i also opened a topic in the troubleshooting area of steam, there the resonance is even bigger. 

Dev's fix this bug pls. I cant play Koth or Singleplayer without a crash every 60 Minuts or so.

Hello

I would also like to pitch in on this topic since it is a very big problem for a lot of people. I play with The Art of Warfare (TAW) and we have had this bug quite a bit, the best example was our last mission yesterday when we had 40+ people attending and we had numerous people including me experience this bug throughout the mission.

I might not have a fix for the problem, but i have a theory as to how it happened and perhaps how to minimize it a little. BI has been trying to push their 32 Bit version of the game to be able to use more resources and with 1.66 they did push the proverbial envelope from 2 GB of memory to 3 GB of memory in 1.66.

Below a short quote from a BI OPREP. See this for the entire article, the quote is from the very end.

However, although it is true the support for 64-bit has yet to hit our Main Branch, we decided to give you all at least something as a small appetizer. Starting with Update 1.66, when run on 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Arma 3 will be able to effectively work with more than just 2 GB of memory. The current limit has been increased to 3 GB. Magic, yay!

I suspect that the memory leak was introduced with that patch and that particular attempt to improve upon the game. It is in my opinion not to far fetched to assume this.

As i mentioned earlier, i have no fix but there is a little something that might help mission makers until this is resolved. We in TAW AM 2 usually play with 40+ people on our server however we usually have multiple objectives and we therefore split up the Battalion to achieve everything. Usually this works fine and we don't have the 3 FPS but that often, however yesterday we had a mission where we all had to assault the same objective. This resulted in a lot of assets and players being in close vicinity of each other. We experienced the bug way more in this type of engagement which logically speaking makes sense since more objects would have to be loaded into your memory and the leak would probably achieve critical mass faster. So perhaps mission makers or Zeus'es should try to refrain from making to large engagements for the time being, this might increase the lifetime of your mission.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, rasmus said:

5. Run Steam as Admin, download the game.

I would also shortly like to quote this. I love it when someone like BI gives out advice like this, because it would fix absolutely nothing. Running something as Admin only gives that program privileges, which in this case are not needed. If the game or Steam needed admin privileges to install then the install would prompt for it during/before the install.

I honestly think that it is a shame that BI will not acknowledge that there is a problem when there clearly is. A simple short message in a SITREP or on Twitter would assure the entire community that someone is looking into it. Instead, we are all left to wonder not knowing when we can expect some stability in this otherwise great game.

EDIT: I actually just had an idea that might or might not work. If any of you guys out there can reproduce the error on a regular basis then please try to run the game with the following parameter: -maxMem=2047

I cant claim that i have enough knowledge of how the actual game/engine works to know if this would produce any favorable results, however it never hurts to try and giving the game a hard limit for memory which is the same as it was before we had the problem might put a plug into that leak. The only other thing i can think of to test would be installing a 32 Bit Windows and then running the game on that since the engine only supports 3GB Memory if your Windows is 64 Bit.

32-bit Windows + 32-bit game: 2047

64-bit Windows + 32-bit game: 3071

64-bit Windows + 64-bit game: (physical memory*4)/5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GanX said:

I honestly think that it is a shame that BI will not acknowledge that there is a problem when there clearly is. A simple short message in a SITREP or on Twitter would assure the entire community that someone is looking into it. Instead, we are all left to wonder not knowing when we can expect some stability in this otherwise great game.

Well they have acknowledged it on pretty much every channel over the last few months.

"The performance degradation bug (low FPS until a game restart) was unfortunately not fixed in 1.64."  SITREP 175
"One optimistic piece of news is the potential progress in our investigation of the infamous "3FPS Drop" issue."  #177
"Sadly, the newly introduced memory allocator does not solve the issue for all players."  #178

I'm pretty sure on this forum, discord, reddit, feedback tracker, and steam too.

45 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

Well they have acknowledged it on pretty much every channel over the last few months.

"The performance degradation bug (low FPS until a game restart) was unfortunately not fixed in 1.64."  SITREP 175
"One optimistic piece of news is the potential progress in our investigation of the infamous "3FPS Drop" issue."  #177
"Sadly, the newly introduced memory allocator does not solve the issue for all players."  #178

I'm pretty sure on this forum, discord, reddit, feedback tracker, and steam too.

Well i have apparently been a bit out of touch with reality then. xD Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have seen the stuff about performance degradation but i didn't think that they meant the 3 FPS bug with that. But from your quote i see that this is what they mean. I also did not think it was the same because my game usually recovers from the bug after a little while where FPS goes back up to about 30, i can usually provoke a recovery by minimizing the game and maximizing it again.

Same problem here in the my community. Since the release of Tanoa the 3 FPS bug startet and got worse every update.

At the moment Arma 3 is unplayable for us because every couple minutes someone has a disconnect because of the 3 FPS bug or Arma 3 crash.

In this situation i cant understand why BI does not try to fix this as fast as possible.

There are many people with this problem, but it seems like no one cares at BI.

well BI apparently gave up on debugging it and hopes that 64b build will solve it

so far it didnt..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenfist said:

@Greenfist you are a true hero! I was thinking BI did not give a damn about this story like DICE did with BF3 by desabling all official servers...

Anyway thank you for your explanations and I truely expect BI care about this problem and they will fix this issue asap.

Ty again

A Problem i had was every 10 seconds it would freeze (drop frames?) for 2 seconds. even in the main menu it was doing this. tried messing with all the parameters etc to no avail. I only have 8GB Ram but with game running still had like 35% free. Ended up just going into task manager and killing everything to free up all of about 5-10% more ram and it seemed to fix the problem. Just in case someone else is having a similar thing. Still dont think it should be stuttering like that though, Ram was no way near capacity.

Specs are: i7 2600k, 8gb ram, 1tb SSD, gtx1080. 

20 hours ago, GanX said:

EDIT: I actually just had an idea that might or might not work. If any of you guys out there can reproduce the error on a regular basis then please try to run the game with the following parameter: -maxMem=2047

I cant claim that i have enough knowledge of how the actual game/engine works to know if this would produce any favorable results, however it never hurts to try and giving the game a hard limit for memory which is the same as it was before we had the problem might put a plug into that leak.

Hi @GanX. Thanks for your well thought out post. I am a mission maker for a similar size mil-sim group and we are suffering badly from this bug and I am able to reproduce the crash at will with a number of my missions.

I am in the middle of testing your suggestion above and for the first time I've been able to get past the 1 hour mark without crashing. I have a suspicion you may have stumbled upon a brilliant interim measure. I'll run further tests over the next week and will report back.

I'd be keen to hear if anyone else has success using this method.