T.B.D : Trains By Duda 

(D) A.R.C : (Duda's) Arma Rail Corp.

or (JOKE!) A.R.S.E : Arma Rolling Stock Enhanced! :don11::don15:

edit...

R.E.A.L : Radically Enhanced Arma Locomotion

Thanks guys. I like ATS and like "Advanced". I think it will be:

Advanced Train Simulator (ATS)

• Like 7

Anyone have any ideas for detecting the CUPS train track objects? Was able to use the lineIntersectsWith/lineIntersectsObjs/lineIntersectsSurfaces with the tracks on Tanoa. However, that doesn't seem to work with the CUPS tracks.

There are a couple that get detected if the line intersects the metal rail, however, most can't be detected at all with those  methods

is there someway we can alter the unbinarized rails in the BIS sample packs so your scripts can detect them? 

1 hour ago, Auss said:

is there someway we can alter the unbinarized rails in the BIS sample packs so your scripts can detect them? 

I've taken a look at the unbinarized rail in CUPS. The underlying problem is that the "View Geometry" LODs for most of the rails are missing or only cover the metal rails. Ideally, I need the view geometry to cover the entire track (e.g. a simple box around the track). Without the View Geometry LOD, it appears non of the lineIntersect* methods work. Looking into how to open a request with the CUPS team. Maybe it's something that can be fixed.

If that can be fixed, that would be great. Otherwise, I have a work around using findNearestObjects / findNearestTerrianObjects that might work.

15 minutes ago, NeoArmageddon said:

Missing view geo is definitly a bug. We will fix it ASAP.

Thanks @NeoArmageddon

Will there be more testing? I am following this topic for weeks! Though last weekend (when you ran the test) I missed the message because I was not at home... Literally I cannot wait untill this is going to be published. So excited!

3 hours ago, -Sirion- said:

Will there be more testing? I am following this topic for weeks! Though last weekend (when you ran the test) I missed the message because I was not at home... Literally I cannot wait untill this is going to be published. So excited!

There will be eventually - won't be able to work on this next week, but hopefully will be ready soon.

Here's the list of things to do before the first release:

• Feature: Need to add a loading message the first time you get into a train (takes about 10-15 seconds for the train start moving since it has to initialize the track map)

• Feature: Need to allow the player to disconnect cars from their train. (This one is the most complex and will take some time)

• Feature: Need to add support for players to ride on the train.

• Feature: Need to add limits to the train length.

• Bug Fix: In MP, the player is unable to control the train when they get out and get back in. Needs to be fixed.

• Bug Fix: Need to add controls to prevent others from "driving" an engine that's part of another train.

From the original list of features, here's what will be available in the first release:

• Multiplayer support. Mod only required to be installed on server
  • Uses vanilla train and track models. However, it will have the ability to add support for additional train cars / engines.
    • Will support the CUPS train models, but won't support the CUPS tracks. The CUPS train models still look pretty good on the Tanoa tracks.
  • You will be able to drive the static trains already on Tanoa (not placed via editor).
  • Driving the train will be done in 3rd person (see videos for example of 3rd camera movement - you can also zoom in / out with mouse wheel)
  • Can automatically detect and follow tracks placed on a map.
  • Multiple cars. Attach by backing up into a car on the track. Detach by getting out of the train and walking over to the car to detach.
  • Multiple cars & inclines causes slower train acceleration. You can add multiple engines to increase acceleration.
  • You can ride in other cars (same type of 3rd person camera as driver)
  • When approaching a track split, you can hold left/right to direct the train (works in both forward and reverse)
  • Some sort of damage handling (e.g. hitting other trains, driving off end of track, etc)
  • Ability to jump out of train
    • However, you wont get injured. You'll just move to the ground next to the train.

Probably also won't add sounds for the first release.

• Like 14

Are the trains designed to be player operated only? Or can we set up scheduled trains and scheduled stops? In an Exile/Wasteland scenario it would be a decent form of transportation if player could just hop on at a marked stop.

This looks pretty amazing great work.

• Like 2

i'm going to force revolve so many missions around those trains man. i was thinking since you showed some interaction with cars in one of the videos. how would the train react to a bridge disappearing underneath it? i'm thinking since most, if not all, bridges can't be destroyed, they will require some hideobject hacks and stuff to blow them up.

would this require care from your side, as in checking, if a rail segment is hidden, or would you think it would already react properly as is? i'm thinking not since you keep them in place via scripting and not collision. i dunno. just a thought i had.

• Like 3

Will there also be support for other maps with implemented railroad tracks, like Esseker and Chernarus? Would it detect those tracks? If so, I'll make another survival server on Esseker using the trains on the (abandoned) railroad tracks. I see myself driving around the post-apocalyptic landscape... Damn.

PS. If there will be more tests, I'd love to participate. :)

17 minutes ago, -Sirion- said:

Will there also be support for other maps with implemented railroad tracks, like Esseker and Chernarus? Would it detect those tracks? If so, I'll make another survival server on Esseker using the trains on the (abandoned) railroad tracks. I see myself driving around the post-apocalyptic landscape... Damn.

PS. If there will be more tests, I'd love to participate. :)

For the first release it will support any map with the tanoa train tracks. The tracks on Chernarus won't be supported in the first release due to some issues with their track models (there's a post above about this).

Just now, duda123 said:

For the first release it will support any map with the tanoa train tracks. The tracks on Chernarus won't be supported in the first release due to some issues with their track models (there's a post above about this).

Oh well, anyway, I'm mostly playing Overthrow on Tanoa, so I think there will be plenty of fun driving these trains around the (existing) tracks of Tanoa, with a very long network already set. Not to forget you have plenty of switches and different ways to go to, unlike Chernarus or Esseker where there isn't much railroad track to drive on.

In Overthrow I see me and my squad already making a portable base on a train with storage crates, tents (so we can fast travel to the train if we need to) and freaking HMG emplacements to defend the train if needed. If this will be released, I'll test it out right away, and might donate to support your work. I'm a train-freak, and I already find it very amusing to watch the short video's you're placing. Also still messing around with your Command script replacing High Command. You're an Arma God, my friend.

• Like 1

I'm more interested in unmanned capabilities. I'd rather have a train at scheduled stops and a map indicators so that players can use it for transportation, or AI missions in Exile/Wasteland that are towing tanks or transporting gear. Without the handling of train collisions in first release it is simpler to go with predetermined schedules/routes anyway. It might be too laggy to let the server control the train via a script, might require a headless client to run smoothly for unmanned situations. I guess we will find out soon enough. 

This got me thinking about a ferry system. Some kind of scheduled ferry that goes between islands on Tanoa. Though the larger boat models tend to cause players/vehicles to fall through. 

Anyway, great work.

• Like 5

On 26.2.2017 at 6:37 AM, Centrifugal said:

This got me thinking about a ferry system. Some kind of scheduled ferry that goes between islands on Tanoa. Though the larger boat models tend to cause players/vehicles to fall through.

now that's an awesome idea. consider it stolen :don9: also a great platform to experiment with code to make it possible to walk on moving objects.

i was just thinking about an elegant way to do this the other day without having to provide boats or helos. for some kind of semi civ resistance scenario like overthrow.

• Like 2

How's the development on this going? If you require any assistance with development I'd be happy to help. (Senior software dev here)

Looking really impressive! Still I'm looking forward to first person view though ^^

2 hours ago, CSmithTanoa said:

No more update?

Asking for an update is against forum rules. That the auther doenst post something everyday, doesnt mean the addon is dead or anything, maybe he is just busy IRL.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2017 at 4:09 PM, duda123 said:

There will be eventually - won't be able to work on this next week, but hopefully will be ready soon.

Here's the list of things to do before the first release:

• Feature: Need to add a loading message the first time you get into a train (takes about 10-15 seconds for the train start moving since it has to initialize the track map)

• Feature: Need to allow the player to disconnect cars from their train. (This one is the most complex and will take some time)

Honestly, for the first feature (adding a loading message), I would recommend just creating a startup sound that plays when you enter the train.  Real trains take a long time to start up.  This delay adds to the immersion.

For the second feature (remote disconnect), I would not even worry about creating this feature.  Yeah, it's a game and you want to make things easy for players, but remote disconnection sounds a little advanced for the purely analog connections between these trains in real life.  In real life, you'd have to ensure that all of the trains are ready for connecting before bumping them together.  And you'd also have to manually release the coupling by hand by walking to that train.  So I think the existing method of walking to the individual train that you want to disconnect is the way to go.  Plus it reduces your development time.  I know I've had projects slow way down due to feature creep or because I personally wanted to solve some issue that probably didn't matter in the larger scheme of things.  But of course, it's your addon.  Have fun creating it!  Looks great so far.  :)

• Like 3

it would be better to have the trains decouple. That is what trains do