gc8

setBehaviour bugged?

hi

has anyone noticed that if you call setBehaviour for single unit the behaviour is changed for all units in that group.

so:

player setBehaviour "CARELESS";

is same as:

(group player) setBehaviour "CARELESS";

is this a bug?

the only way I know how to set different behaviour for units is create unit without group, set its behaviour and then use join command to move it into a group.

Hi,

According to the Notes in this BI Wiki page concerning the "setBehaviour" command, it's not a bug.

I suppose that it's link to the reaction of group members. If one of them is in Combat mode, the other ones will go in Combat mode too. Like in real life, if someone move into Combat position after spotting a possible hostile, the other ones do the same to prevent any situation. BI surely want that like it to simulate this grouped reaction.

The only issue I find in this, it's when AI are not grouped and can not see the other ones but react as well as the one they don't see and being alerted without any communication between them.

Here is the page link : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setBehaviour

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost_Warden said:

Hi,

According to the Notes in this BI Wiki page concerning the "setBehaviour" command, it's not a bug.

I suppose that it's link to the reaction of group members. If one of them is in Combat mode, the other ones will go in Combat mode too. Like in real life, if someone move into Combat position after spotting a possible hostile, the other ones do the same to prevent any situation. BI surely want that like it to simulate this grouped reaction.

The only issue I find in this, it's when AI are not grouped and can not see the other ones but react as well as the one they don't see and being alerted without any communication between them.

Here is the page link : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setBehaviour

Makes sense, I was thinking the same. Seems like BIS let the command to take object as argument so that the join workaround can be used.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Makes sense, I was thinking the same. Seems like BIS let the command to take object as argument so that the join workaround can be used.

I can guarantee you that the Object argument has nothing to do with join workaround. You can just as well join unit in a new group and use its group as argument for setBehaviour. The fact that unit is supported is because it is standard format for many group commands to accept a unit from the group as argument.

2 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

I can guarantee you that the Object argument has nothing to do with join workaround. You can just as well join unit in a new group and use its group as argument for setBehaviour. The fact that unit is supported is because it is standard format for many group commands to accept a unit from the group as argument.

Well I just hope BIS wont change it. Or if they do change it so you can change behaviour unit by unit.

1 hour ago, gc8 said:

Well I just hope BIS wont change it. Or if they do change it so you can change behaviour unit by unit.

Why would anyone change an ancient command which may break oh so many missions. Something might get broken accidentally which could lead to command behaviour change. When this happens BIS will try to fix it ASAP. Intentional changes happen very rarely and when absolutely necessary, and this is usually well announced in advance. So I think setBehaviour is safe.

• Like 1