4 hours ago, C.T said:

What's the plan for vehicles...the original green or are you going with any camo versions?

So far, it looks to be the original green.

yes there is a lot of homage to the original SLA army with primary vehicles wearing the plain light field green. There will also include some variations. Stand by for the next spotlight from Cannonsong. 

After a long break and a semester culminating in a published piece by yours truly in his college literary journal, we bring you the next spotlight!

SLA Forces Spotlight
“Hit and Run”

As US and RACS forces went on the offensive in the 2006 conflict on Sahrani, their rear lines and supply chains fell prey to perhaps the most iconic unit of soldiers in SLA service: the Especas. Today, we take a look at how these clandestine warriors have evolved over the last decade.

A902ADC93BD2CBD5A7FA9A8CDFED4053A32824E9

Who Are They?

The SLA Especas Command. “Especas” is a broad term for a number of units under the broader jurisdiction of the SLA that specialize in reconnaissance, sabotage, and clandestine warfare. They’re somewhat comparable to the GRU Spetsnaz of the former USSR, or the United States’ Green Berets, though generally combat-focused and expected to work in concert with- or in support of- more traditional troops.

In SLA Service

Ask any veteran of the 2006 conflict, be they American, RACS, or SLA, and they’ll probably have a story to tell about the Especas. Supply dumps going up in flames far behind lines that were supposedly secure, convoys never reaching their destinations, whole squads cut down by highly accurate fire from positions abandoned long before return fire arrived, the ‘Green Ghosts’ were the boogeymen responsible for every bit of bad luck the forces of South Sahrani faced on their push northwards.

59B87BDA28CAB92661339ABF70CB218C0938F775

These men weren’t the poorly-trained ‘Slags’ their enemies encountered during the early stages of the war; well-trained, highly-disciplined, and unconventional, the Especas held the rare distinction of being respected- and feared- by their opponents, and though many of the forces committed to the fight on Sahrani proper were all but decimated in the short-but-intense campaign, the Especas escaped relatively unscathed.

What made the Especas so effective in a war practically defined by the incompetence of their peers is a subject of some debate in military circles today. Whether it was their relative freedom in making tactical decisions in the field, their intense training, or some sort of unnatural good fortune, what was clear at the war’s end was that the Especas were a rarity in the SLA hierarchy: they were something that worked. As such, in the last 11 years, the Especas themselves haven’t changed much.

630DB031A3154631AD2588D3CA4FDE17A4FDF1DA

Given they’re comprised of an abnormally-high number of combat veterans compared to the rest of the SLA, Especas soldiers are highly-valued as advisors, trainers, and consultants through the rest of the army. An Infantry or even Guards commander that can call upon the experience of veteran Especas advisors is fortunate indeed, and though much of the Especas Command’s work in the interwar period remains highly classified, their use as trainers is well-documented.

83229457AD5E6EDF5B451AE0AC57826D2ED4922B

The only major change to Especas Command- aside from their increased integration into traditional forces- is the addition of the CTU or Counter Terrorism Unit. This group, comparable to the MVD or a more militant FBI, are a sign of the SLA’s reluctant drift towards a more westernized concept of special forces. Though they’re technically under military command, many of the Especas’ old guard don’t consider the CTU ‘true’ Especas, given their more ‘civilian’ role.

Features and Use In-Game

5144DB77D751C70B06EF00AF147F47DFE263228A

The Especas of the Project RACS SLA Faction are pretty darn similar to the Especas of old, though we’ve been sure to give them plenty of new toys to play with! Along with the classic Especas troops (green berets and all,) we’ve included expanded Recon troops and the aforementioned CTU, who sport body armor and ballistic helmets, making them well-suited to assault roles other Especas troops may be less equipped for. Generally-speaking, Especas soldiers come with better equipment, and carry modernized firearms and sights.

One thing to note is that the Especas are heavily focused on tactical missions and not necessarily strategic ones. Though they operate behind enemy lines, their objectives are almost always intended to be in support of other troops. If you’re looking for lone-wolf, black-ops style DEVGRUCOMFOR, you’ll not find them here.

Rumor has it the Especas troops even come with a CTU sergeant modeled after yours truly. This is, of course, merely nonsensical speculation spread by enemies of the state.

You know, fake news. ;)

Until next time, Viva la Revolución!

• Like 17

^^^^^ simply the best! well done as always Cannonsong! 

Stay tuned folks he has a lot more to show you. 

• Like 4

Thank you, as ever!

Yeah, next planned spotlight is going to be on one of my favorite aspects of the mod: The TONS of fantastic aerial weapons we're lucky enough to have, many of which were made by the legendary RKSL-Rock! You guys have seen some of these already, but we want to spotlight the sheer variety you'll have to choose from- including a few neat toys you haven't likely seen anywhere else ;)

• Like 4

Yet another awesome read!

ONLY one microscopic point: BMD-2s only real bonus is it's air-mobility. Other then that i'd go with up-armored BMP-1\2s any day )))

I'd rather give people the choice to use whatever they fancy ;)

• Like 1

Agreed - i'm assuming Especias have access to whatever hardware SLA got + some VIP swag if I were to make a lore-friendly mission?

That's actually a Guards vehicle, not Especas. You might note the fellows in front of it aren't wearing green berets. I included that shot as a teaser of what's to come :D

The Especas probably piggyback on whatever they can get ahold of, especially since nine time out of ten, whatever Rambo shit they're doing likely takes command priority. No dedicated aircraft or vehicles under their command, but if one of the most badass units in your military asks for something, chances are, they'll get to borrow it!

• Like 2

Shit - after re-reading I spotted 'em too. Yeah - guards might be more for "show 'em your size" rather then actual tactical application - BMD-2 sure looks sleek and all!

Might also give the Guards some fancy toys like bare-bones AS-VALs (i'm looking at you RF Guards VDV on 9th May parade) :f:

• Like 1

Nicely done. A bit of lore with soul put into it is never something to turn down!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, slatts said:

Nicely done. A bit of lore with soul put into it is never something to turn down!

THIS!

Actually this is why I like VTN alot - they (like this mod) have actual written lore and they build assets around it!

A detail (unfortunately) often overlooked by mod devs...

• Like 1

The Guards are something of a middle-ground between something like the Airborne/Rangers and better-equipped conscripts. Their best guys probably scratch right up against the middle of the pile for a first-world country's elite divisions, but their greenest guys are just conscripts with more patriotic fervor and a bit more body armor. They get -74s and the occasional fancy optic, but don't mistake 'motivated' for 'elite.'

As for their use of BMD-2s: Given their use as shock troops, there are a few air-mobile Guards units, and of course, anything you can drop on a parachute or sling below a chopper is a godsend to them. The BMP-2 is certainly more protection, but if you want to get boots on the ground in an archipelago and naval transport is out of the question, a little less armor and a cramped troop bay in exchange for a 30mm gun and ATGMs in the field is a perfectly acceptable trade for them. Plus- yeah, I reckon there are a fair few of them that think it just looks sleeker, too. ;P

And thanks, guys! I love stretching the ol' creative-writing muscles with stuff like this, and it keeps wld motivated, so it's fun to do!

• Like 5

My mistake - I was thinking more like "capital city barracks queens squad" Guards rather then shock\assault troops )))

• Like 1

Yeah, they've got a little bit of that, don't get me wrong- SLA requisitions has quite a few headache thanks to the Guards demanding 'cooler' equipment (Or as they'd put it, 'weapons fitting of the most dedicated soldiers of the Revolución!') but at the end of the day, they are meant to back that image up by being the tip of the spear in any conflict.

How WELL they'd do is to be seen...

• Like 2

Great job on the lore maybe on the release of the version  a pdf of the lore & back story could be prepared 

• Like 1

another perfect showcase for the glorious Sahrani Liberation Army! north sahrani TRUE SAHRANI brothers!!!

in serious note, those model and texture work is top-notch! brings the southern kingdom to shame :P

• Like 2

On 5/7/2017 at 4:56 PM, Brett Staats said:

Great job on the lore maybe on the release of the version  a pdf of the lore & back story could be prepared 

Very good idea...

Once Cannon gets a bit more out would you be interested in working on this?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wld427 said:

Very good idea...

Could take a bit of doing, but I can probably organize something. Once there's more, of course! SO MUCH to sort out, organize, make up on the spot...

• Like 2

Nice work guys!! Maybe there is another chopper for the bad guys, with is not that well known?

He seems to be active, maybe he is willing to let his beauty to be ported?

Cheers

On 5/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, wld427 said:

Very good idea...

yeah

Something that would also fit pretty well in my opinion would be those two vehicles. They are some modifications of the BTR-60 made by Cuba and would be pretty much what the SLA might be using. 

Spoiler

cuban_fsv_l3.jpg

btr-60_with_zu-57-2_turret_cuban_cuba_army_military_parade_havana_revolution_square_april_16_2011_003.jpg

• Like 4

those are some great suggestions.... i want to get the stock core finished before i start making any "funnies".

things will be getting a little dangerous for low flying aircraft and helicopters.....

qATjUVU.jpg

• Like 15

I'll take two... to the capitalist F-181 :drinking:

Behind-Enemy-Lines-2.jpg

8 hours ago, bars91 said:

I'll take two... to the capitalist F-181 :drinking:

Behind-Enemy-Lines-2.jpg

That was actually an SA-13.....

and only time will tell if you will get one of those.... :f: