genesis92x

[CTI-COOP] Dissension

On 29.7.2017 at 6:16 AM, soolie said:

The code used just separates all the units in game into their configed roles and uses the "cost" var to set price(not ideal for this mission).

have you thought about making a formular from a bunch of config values based on the unit's equipment?

like:

- damage value of ammo of primary weapon

- presence of a launcher

- armor values of head gear and vest

- zoom level of attachments, if present

i've done something similar before just for weapons that i could dig up.

it could also be interesting to have different levels of each unit with different aim accuracy and overall skill settings that have different price based on that to add some more depth.

just brain storming/thinking out loud. good stuff!

• Like 2

I've been running the mission now for 3 hours and I'm seeing lots of building (and vehicles now, phew!)  Worryingly however I don't see as many AI heading out to take areas.  I've also been logging out and in at intervals to check on AI commander progress, and when I'm killing things now I'm getting Error: Unknown Vehicle when I kill a soldier :(

11 hours ago, bad benson said:

When BB offers you code, you accept it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bad benson said:

have you thought about making a formular from a bunch of config values based on the unit's equipment?

like:

- damage value of ammo of primary weapon

- presence of a launcher

- armor values of head gear and vest

- zoom level of attachments, if present

it could also be interesting to have different levels of each unit with different aim accuracy and overall skill settings that have different price based on that to add some more depth.

just brain storming/thinking out loud. good stuff!

That is a great idea... This is actually something we could easily do. I have a function that runs through and defines all weapons/vehicles/ammo. Adding in a couple extra variables for costs would be fairly straight forward. As Soolie said, when BB offers code you don't decline :D

11 hours ago, kremator said:

I've been running the mission now for 3 hours and I'm seeing lots of building (and vehicles now, phew!)  Worryingly however I don't see as many AI heading out to take areas.  I've also been logging out and in at intervals to check on AI commander progress, and when I'm killing things now I'm getting Error: Unknown Vehicle when I kill a soldier :(

Thanks! It's running fairly stable so far (no crashing of servers/etc), It seems the commanders burn through materials very quickly - so I need to figure out a good buff for materials. Possibly reducing the income timer to 1 minute or so? I also keep getting that Error: Unknown Vehicle error...why this error is happening I have no clue.

4 hours ago, soolie said:

When BB offers you code, you accept it.

Very true :D

• Like 1

Anything that I can do to help you, please ask.  I can put things onto my dedi, or test the shit outta the mission :)

Will investigate why the Error: Unknown Vehicle error pops up.  I do notice quite a spam of message in the RPT (none are critical however) but BIS have never told us what they mean (or how to fix them!)

Been hosting it today and loving it.  can't wait for the update!

Anyway, one thing that I've found is that when I have a squad and they kill a enemy I don't get cash/exp for it. 

UPDATE to my post above.  Even though I get don't get Unknown cash50 exp 50 (or whatever it is) after a long time running, I CAN get reward for the kill IF my AI gunner kills a soldier, however this doesn't happen if they are just in my squad.

Psychobastards AIS revive is a really really good fit for Dissension.  With a timeout of 300 seconds, this doesn't leave a lot of time for you group to get to you - or you have to make sure that you attack with another AI group.

Final thing I've noticed is on kill (at the start) the enemy bodies stick around for a bit.  When I rejoin my server after a few hours, when I kill something they IMMEDIATELY poof!  I've also seen AI troops being made at base only to poof seconds later!

****still checking the GitHub everyday :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kremator said:

UPDATE to my post above.  Even though I get don't get Unknown cash50 exp 50 (or whatever it is) after a long time running, I CAN get reward for the kill IF my AI gunner kills a soldier, however this doesn't happen if they are just in my squad.

Psychobastards AIS revive is a really really good fit for Dissension.  With a timeout of 300 seconds, this doesn't leave a lot of time for you group to get to you - or you have to make sure that you attack with another AI group.

Final thing I've noticed is on kill (at the start) the enemy bodies stick around for a bit.  When I rejoin my server after a few hours, when I kill something they IMMEDIATELY poof!  I've also seen AI troops being made at base only to poof seconds later!

****still checking the GitHub everyday :)

Thanks for the update! I am getting ready to release another GitHub. I am also working on Vcom, so I will be posting updates for both of them soon.

• Like 2

Hey Genesis, i've just seen your #17 video (im a bit behind the curve, admittedly). You mention a number of good and important topics which i would like to give some feedback on.

AI Cheating:
Yes it is certainly difficult to balance. Supply runs of course provide 'traffic' that can be attacked/protected. But since AI is unreliable this forces players to do the job (or the AI to cheat). It can be an easy money gainer, but i'd say the novelty wears off quickly (imagine a session of 3h - which is not unusual for a warfare mission i think). Personally i would not include the "pick up this and bring back to supply your team". What if players are busy fighting - which i would argue is the more fun part in arma. Should you force them to pick up supplies instead if they want to win? Realistically yes, but in terms of 'fun' i'd say no. There could be better ways to give players reasons to transport stuff from A to B - tying into the building system.

Building system.
You mentioned you are not sure how the gameplay/justification should be. Last time i posted (the task suggestion) i pulled it out of my "wish-gamemode" concept sheet. Let me pull out the section on building ^^
Building custom bases is finicky and time consuming. In Arma warfare you dont just have zombies and bandits running around like in 99% of survival rpg games. From cars to tanks, bombers and Artillery there is everything. Stuff that can flatten a base in seconds. That's why it would be a bad idea to encourage or try and support building the players "dream castle". In warfare your HQ is a field base mostly. Let's develop this idea further:

Instead of having the player build buildings wherever he wants, it would make more sense to have it more coordinated. So a commander task could be to build an outpost. There can be certain types and they provide different functions. Positions could be chosen by the commander if necessary (but some player input might be good in some cases to not have an airfield surrounded by cliffs for example). Once position is chosen, players have to build specific (predetermined) buildings within a certain area around this position to have the outpost operational. There may be optional buildings that can extend functionality of the outpost or just help to defend it. So you basically have a check-list of single buildings/objects that are required to make the outpost functional. Should any be destroyed, the commander can then automatically issue repair orders, as he can determine what is missing. Players may add walls and other defensive stuff if they want, but the maximum object count should be restricted. Remember: Field outposts, not dream castles. Reason: Stuff will get destroyed, multiple times even. It is pointless building some base for hours if somebody can carpet bomb it. In fact, the outposts of the enemy provide logical non-town targets for your commander to attack (which he knows of thanks to your recon activity)
Some outposts periodically need ammo/fuel to keep functioning. This is where the Supply-Trucking comes in. This can be more infrequently than the ressource supplies without affecting the base economy or gameflow too much.

Forward operating Base [FOB] (unfortified or fortified) - the classic, an idea that i already pitched to Benny for his Becti version many moons ago ;)

• Small headquarter Bunker/Tent
  • build ammo storage area
  • build group rest area (bunker/ Tent)
  • optional - build fighting positions and static weapons (infantry bunkers, mg nest, tripod AA/AT)

Purpose: Forward respawn, infantry recruitment and handweapon-rearm point place closer to the front line. Reduces travel-time.
Needs to be within certain (long) range of HQ to allow recruitment. Range can be extended via Communication relays (see below).
May require periodic supply with ammo (the more people use it the more often).

Communication Relay.

• build communication antenna.
  • build generator.
  • build walls/fences (optional).

Purpose: connect various smaller outposts/bases to make them functional. A net can be build
May require fuel over time

Infantry support mortar position (2-3 mortars)

• build arty protection sandbag circle /dirt wall circle
  • build mortars
  • build small ammo storage 'building'/ crate
  • build camo nets (optional)
  •  

"Divisional" artillery firing position

• min 1, max 3 units of howitzer/MLRS/heavy mortar. Mobile or Static possible.
  • build or park artillery unit(s)
  • build arty protection around it (dirtwalls, large stonebags,...)
  • build large ammo storage
  • build camo nets (optional)

These firing positions are manned automatically by AI gunners. Firing is ordered by commander only. Firemissions can be requested by players.
Ammunition has to be supplied realistically for players (due to power of artillery) - that's where the ammo storage comes into play, since you have a defined and logical place where somebody with supplies should go to perform the resupply.
Maybe have a "ammo wallet" for players. Everytime a player brings ammo, he can request a number (maybe 1-2) firemissions from artillery. Player has to pay for ammo.
Alternatively it's a task. Bring certain amount of shells. Reward: either money or ensure 1 arty firemission. (it is quite powerfull after all)

Build small custom airfield (VTOL aircraft/helos)

• build aircontroll building (bunker or tower)
  • build 1-3 landing platform
  • build hangar (concrete structure) for buying planes
  • build ammo storage
  • build fuel storage
  • build power generator
  • build quicklaunch ramps (optional)
  • build AA defenses (optional, certain max amount.)
  • build radar (optional, provides intel for friendly vehicles and AA defense weapons)

(requires fuel and ammo periodically, depending on usage)

In case an outpost is destroyed completey, it might make sense not to rebuild in the same place. Having artillery in the same place makes them more vulnerable. As for the building process itself, one truck load per n-amount of buildings could be used. You load truck at HQ, drive the truck to destination, place the buildings. Either you get an empty truck back, or the truck despawns (not so immersive and leaves player without vehicle, but may be better option for AI squads doing this task).

It's a lot of stuff that it would require (i guess) which is why i didnt mention it the last time. Maybe it gives you some new ideas for Dissension. The last section of my sheet is dealing with experience and recruitment (though its more tailored to my total conversion), not sure if that would interest you.

• Like 6

i was gonna report this a week ago but i got too lazy, it seems like spawning stops after a few hours on takistan and chernarus is where i tested using rhs mods and cup terrains, towns dont get populated when you go near the circles and we end up just sitting there i've also noticed when you're fighting a pmc commander you dont get rewards for killing the opfor militia sent after you

I notice in the parameters there is the option there for Ironfront. I am not able to get this working could I missing something or still WIP? keeps reverting back to vanilla. Mods used @IFA3_AIO_Lite, @cups_core, @cba

11 hours ago, devilspawn said:

I notice in the parameters there is the option there for Ironfront. I am not able to get this working could I missing something or still WIP? keeps reverting back to vanilla. Mods used @IFA3_AIO_Lite, @cups_core, @cba

I haven't tested this recently. It worked for me last time - however there could be something going wrong. I will take a look when I work more on Dissension this coming week.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:28 PM, Coul said:

i was gonna report this a week ago but i got too lazy, it seems like spawning stops after a few hours on takistan and chernarus is where i tested using rhs mods and cup terrains, towns dont get populated when you go near the circles and we end up just sitting there i've also noticed when you're fighting a pmc commander you dont get rewards for killing the opfor militia sent after you

I noticed this the last time I played it...I will be sitting down and tweaking the AI - I think we are hitting the group limits somehow. And nice catch on the PMC commander AI.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, genesis92x said:

I haven't tested this recently. It worked for me last time 

I see IFA3 AI running around now :D

however there could be something going wrong.

on spawning you get a vanilla vehicle, reason why I thought IF was not executing properly. Any way to customize this option? file?

I will take a look when I work more on Dissension this coming week.

wicked :P 

I keep checking GitHub every day looking for updates :)  I'm even happy to test WIP versions (if there was a branch for it!)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 2:46 PM, kremator said:

I feel .... something is stirring ....

Nawww.

I really feel like I have polished the farming aspect of the game. I was able to fix that nasty bug were potatoes were growing waayyyy to fast, which eventually resulted in them usurping control over the player. Which OF COURSE lead to the eventual uninstallation of ArmA 3 if the player left the potatoes unchecked for too long. Man these spud bugs get worse every iteration.

Anyway, look forward to Dissension: Farm Manager coming soon!

lol

Had been checking the git and noticed some changes :)  In a good state to play ?

34 minutes ago, kremator said:

lol

Had been checking the git and noticed some changes :)  In a good state to play ?

I think the one on Git is good to playish. I am rewriting the spawning code and rewriting the commander mission request system at the moment and everything is broken!

• Like 2

I have tested the last version from Github, with the last script version of Vcom.

Units in the stronghold are like human turrets, they don't move even if they know the enemy position.

They are also very hidden as when a blue group move next to a green stronghold, they never see the green units inside and the green units never attack the blue units unless they are in the line of fire.

Why not spawn a stronghold made of static MG, turrets and sand walls with a group with a guard waypoint inside ?

It's even more problematic with big town as the offensive team will move to the center of the town and stay there. The town is not captured and green continue to spawn out of the line of sight of the offensive team.

Could you had a search and destroy waypoint to the stronghold position so the team will make an assault after reaching the center of the town, if the town is not already captured ?

A patrol script could also work if it use search and destroy waypoints.

Also if too many towns are already under attack, there is no more spawn of green troops in additional towns, making them uncapturable. Is there a maximum number of green teams on the map ?

AI team doesn't reinforce nearby team : two teams attack the same objective.

One is fired upon by a green team and counter attack.

The other one doesn't react, even if they are 50m away from the green team, with just the top of a hill between them.

So they doesn't react to sound of the fire fight or radio call.

At must, they goes down. They were already at there waypoint.

Is there a problem with the gunshoots detection ou the communication between squads ?

I very much want to test this mission out but i cant for the life of me figure out how to actually play with the files from the github.

I'm a complete noob, how do i install the mission ?

Download the .zip and extract it.

rename the directory (delete the -master)

Copy the directory in c:\%yourprofile%\Documents\Arma 3\mpmissions (or my documents if you are still in W7)

open the game and host a server

Select Tanoa to find the mission.

If you want to play it on an other map, just rename the directory with the name of the map.

If you have a problem with vcomai menu errors at the lunch of the mission, replace de vcomai directory with the last one from the script version.

14 minutes ago, Erendil said:

Download the .zip and extract it.

rename the directory (delete the -master)

Copy the directory in c:\%yourprofile%\Documents\Arma 3\mpmissions (or my documents if you are still in W7)

open the game and host a server

Select Tanoa to find the mission.

If you want to play it on an other map, just rename the directory with the name of the map.

If you have a problem with vcomai menu errors at the lunch of the mission, replace de vcomai directory with the last one from the script version.

Thank you very much bud, appreciate it !

Cant wait to play now!

Can you buy vehicles at captured towns? It seems kinda unbalanced if you can only purchase vehicles at base especially if you get ambushed like 5 km away from base even forcing players to build structures or a fob style vehicle depot would be better