Hey dude, I'm glad someone decided working of some Navy ships stuff.
It was a bit confusing to see a battlefront on islands and sea stuff without any ships from bohemia.

I know it's difficult and you may be alone on this project, but I will surely follow this WIP with great interests.

Like everyone, I am only waiting for some more detailed textures, walkable ship and landable choppers and some indoors stuff.

The only thing I could propose is to have seats for passengers while the ship is moving, waiting for someone to develop some moving in a moving thing.

Good luck for the future, you have a great community behind you !

• Like 1

the issue with the artillery computer is, that it does only calculate indirect fire. It does not calculate fire for gun elevation angles below 45°.

Therefore it is only suitable for "Howitzer" fire, not for true direct artillery cannon fire - unfortunately.

Any plans for walkable ships, ship interiors, or landing helicopters on them while in motion?

Great job on the mod so far

an idea for landing helicopters on the ships would be an addaction for the helicopter to be attached to the helipad so that it would stick when the ship moves, then when the person wants to take-off there is another action for un-attaching

6 hours ago, Eldowww said:

an idea for landing helicopters on the ships would be an addaction for the helicopter to be attached to the helipad so that it would stick when the ship moves, then when the person wants to take-off there is another action for un-attaching

Thats exactly I'm working on ...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, x3kj said:

the issue with the artillery computer is, that it does only calculate indirect fire. It does not calculate fire for gun elevation angles below 45°.

Therefore it is only suitable for "Howitzer" fire, not for true direct artillery cannon fire - unfortunately.

I know about ... I've made artillery working turrets but as the AI won't use it I found better to use simple cannon waepons.

10 hours ago, WastedMike1 said:

Any plans for walkable ships, ship interiors, or landing helicopters on them while in motion?

Great job on the mod so far

For the moment try to get into Missile Boat as cargo ... you'll find yourself into a cargo room ... then use action menu to get out ... you will be on back of the ship and you will be able to use the attached boat ... ofcourse this will work only if the ship will not in move.

Unfortunatelly isn't easy to create walkable ships especially when ships are moving ... it is a game engine restriction ... but anyway I'm working on ...

So, I know you've had a lot of suggestions, and it seems like people constantly ask for the same things. (Landable helicopters, walkable deck, interior LODs, tomahawk missiles/artillery.) My unit has been testing out your ship for a bit now, and we have a list of things that could either be a fix, or addition, but I'll try and stick to simpler issues as I feel that the big ones will constantly be spammed by people who didn't read the rest of the thread. 

• Higher Resolution on crew screens in bridge. - Not sure if this is doable, or if Arma just gives a basic one, but for units that enforce first person only it would be a godsend.
  • "Drop Boat" actions for driver, so that he can drop any attached boats into the water.
  • Small discrete markings on the hulls to indicate where the entry/exit point is on the ships. 
  • Ability to attach other types of boats - for example, a modded RHIB boat, as the Apex Rhib is not available to all.
  • Ability to switch firemodes on Harpoon and/or VLS systems, so that they can fire on laser-designated targets rather than locked targets.
  • More countermeasures, rather than just smoke. 
  • Crewed spotlight and HMG positions on railing of the larger ships.
  • Animated anchors, scripted to keep ship in place when activated.
  • A horn for all ships. Deeper horn for bigger ship?

These are all ideas offered by members of my unit. They're just suggestions, in case you run out of ideas. 

We're rooting for you Aplion - Rome wasn't built in a day!

9 hours ago, M.Hawkins said:

So, I know you've had a lot of suggestions, and it seems like people constantly ask for the same things. (Landable helicopters, walkable deck, interior LODs, tomahawk missiles/artillery.) My unit has been testing out your ship for a bit now, and we have a list of things that could either be a fix, or addition, but I'll try and stick to simpler issues as I feel that the big ones will constantly be spammed by people who didn't read the rest of the thread. 

• Higher Resolution on crew screens in bridge. - Not sure if this is doable, or if Arma just gives a basic one, but for units that enforce first person only it would be a godsend.
  • "Drop Boat" actions for driver, so that he can drop any attached boats into the water.
  • Small discrete markings on the hulls to indicate where the entry/exit point is on the ships. 
  • Ability to attach other types of boats - for example, a modded RHIB boat, as the Apex Rhib is not available to all.
  • Ability to switch firemodes on Harpoon and/or VLS systems, so that they can fire on laser-designated targets rather than locked targets.
  • More countermeasures, rather than just smoke. 
  • Crewed spotlight and HMG positions on railing of the larger ships.
  • Animated anchors, scripted to keep ship in place when activated.
  • A horn for all ships. Deeper horn for bigger ship?

These are all ideas offered by members of my unit. They're just suggestions, in case you run out of ideas. 

We're rooting for you Aplion - Rome wasn't built in a day!

Nice suggestions mate ... they are in my next update agenda now :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Αplion said:

Nice suggestions mate ... they are in my next update agenda now :)

We'll try and keep 'em coming. My milsim unit is planning a 40-ish person naval battle using these bad boys on Sunday, so I'll see what suggestions will come out of that. 

I'll do my best to filter out the terrible suggestions though :)

On 29.01.2017 at 11:26 AM, Αplion said:

I know about ... I've made artillery working turrets but as the AI won't use it I found better to use simple cannon waepons.

If you set the cannons up as arty-only, you can make AI use artillery cannons by the "Fire Mission" waypoint, or calling artillery by scripting commands. Considering that most naval combat these days is done with anti-ship missiles, I'd suggest going ahead with indirect-only setup for the ship guns. Direct fire with the main guns is of limited utility (especially by AI, I don't think they can handle naval combat too well), but indirect fire can be very valuable to mission designers who want the fleet's guns to support units on the ground. Plus, a fleet of warships firing its guns it has remarkable cinematic flair, especially at night. :) Great for spicing up carrier operations.

Not to mention that so far, you've only made NATO ships. So there's no one to fight on water. :) You wouldn't be firing the big guns at speedboats, the ships have other weapons for that.

2 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

If you set the cannons up as arty-only, you can make AI use artillery cannons by the "Fire Mission" waypoint, or calling artillery by scripting commands. Considering that most naval combat these days is done with anti-ship missiles, I'd suggest going ahead with indirect-only setup for the ship guns. Direct fire with the main guns is of limited utility (especially by AI, I don't think they can handle naval combat too well), but indirect fire can be very valuable to mission designers who want the fleet's guns to support units on the ground.

Not to mention that so far, you've only made NATO ships. So there's no one to fight on water. :) You wouldn't be firing the big guns at speedboats, the ships have other weapons for that.

I think more of what people are yearning for is the arty computer for something like a Tomahawk missile, rather than just shelling the area with the main cannon. It would make the ships have much more purpose in large scale operations, where the infantry will most likely not be in line of sight of the destroyer. Lets them be an offshore missile battery- even if this capability is only added to a couple of the ships.

This would definitely be useful, but the big problem is that Tomahawk is a cruise missile. I don't think ArmA can do them, at least not without serious scripting. It could do ship-launched ballistic missiles, but those are few and far between. Working cruise missiles would certainly be useful (I really liked the part where you lased targets for the ships in ArmAII), but I'm not sure how viable. Shelling the area with the cannon is the next best thing.

7 hours ago, dragon01 said:

Have you checked on CSAT and AAF factions ? some ships are on OPFOR and Indep sides also.

What I meant that all the real classes are from NATO countries, and the fictional ones look the part, too. Maybe AAF could use some of them, but none of those ships really look like OPFOR.

Just now, dragon01 said:

What I meant that all the real classes are from NATO countries, and the fictional ones look the part, too. Maybe AAF could use some of them, but none of those ships really look like OPFOR.

My point was to have something as opponent for NATO ships ... thats why I've also add them retextured on OPFOR side. Now about real Iranian Navy ... I've no idea. 

This project made because I'd like to see some naval aspects in game ... I was not thinking about full realism when started working on them. For me they are so real as everything in a game during year 2035 ... anyway ... I've no intention, at least for the moment, to make real Iranian (or whatever NATO hostile) ships ... sorry about that.

• Like 1

Tried this because I wanted to have something to shoot at when flying around, little did I know they bite back, they totally kicked my ass haha. 

Didn't think it was going to be such a well made mod, the ships are amazing and they look so great.

Never really noticed until now how sorely we lack naval warfare in vanilla Arma, and how fun it can be.

Very cool mod, so glad I tried it. 

• Like 1

Hi, nice Navy ships Mod.

Any plans of a tactical map/radar view(Weapon Officer Station), like in the Swedish Forces Pack?

Here a Screenshot with 2x enemy Ships:

20170130234158_1g1sqg.jpg

Here a older Video:

• Like 1

I know it's all a lot of work and you might have other priorities on what you like to get done first, but this here would be my wish list of features for the future:

- all weapon systems should be fully stabilized

- both the Phalanx and the ESSM should be trying to intercept incoming anti-ship-missiles - the Phalanx furthermore should try to intercept additionally ATGMs, laser guided bombs, mortars and artillery shells

- the Phalanx should have a higher rate of fire and come with extra magazines - that take some time to reload though

- the Phalanx should also engage helicopters, jets as well as non-armored ground targets in range - but the priority should be intercepting incoming projectiles 

- the large caliber ship guns should have the ability to be used for indirect fire - per artillery computer [if the AI can't handle both, it would be cool if at least a player could switch to artillery computer and use the guns as artillery]

Current issues I've noticed:

- the Phalanx can't be rotated at times, and the AI isn't reliably engaging targets (same issue with the patrol boat gunners)

- AI using the cannons have trouble aiming, especially at closer ranges (e.g. firing at infantry close to the shore)

- some of the weapon specifications seem to be not accurate at the moment:

The La Fayette's 100mm gun has a rate of fire of 78 (!) rounds per minute in real life

The Oto melara 127/64 Lightweight cannon has a rate of fire of 40 rounds per minute in real life

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redken said:

Hi, nice Navy ships Mod.

Any plans of a tactical map/radar view(Weapon Officer Station), like in the Swedish Forces Pack?

i will Dream about this system in Aplion mod and 

Spoiler

vanilla HMS Proteus

Hello,

I just leave a message here to say that your work is amazing. And what a pleasure to see a La Fayette frigate when you're french !

Hope you will never be disappointed by all the guys who don't realize what it means to work on such project people asking you for more features and to hurry up for the next release. Just work on it when you want, to do what you want.

Take care,

Calden.

• Like 1

these ships are quite dangerous! ;) I had put a bunch of them near the coast to have a look at , while at the same time I was flying the new MI-28 from RHS...next thing I had about 3 AA missiles zooming towards me hahaha :) Great work

• Like 3

First of all, great work, I'm really keen to see where you go with this.

Secondly, I have a bug that does not look to have been reported elsewhere.  For reasons unknown the Corvette's bridge is transparent (I can provide a screenshot if needed, and I'm running the latest version of your mod).  

Thirdly, Is it possible to add cargo/civilian ships to the mod. even if only as statics? Tanoa has a pile of docks, but nothing to put in them :(

8 hours ago, Psyfer said:

First of all, great work, I'm really keen to see where you go with this.

Secondly, I have a bug that does not look to have been reported elsewhere.  For reasons unknown the Corvette's bridge is transparent (I can provide a screenshot if needed, and I'm running the latest version of your mod).  

Thirdly, Is it possible to add cargo/civilian ships to the mod. even if only as statics? Tanoa has a pile of docks, but nothing to put in them :(

Please provide a screenshot in order to see the issue reported.

I'll see about cargo/civilian ships as well ...

• Like 1