Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Was roaming around a bunch of snow maps and one thing that bugged me was that the SNOW texture was MOSTLY FLAT with trees sticking out like sore thumbs. Hard to ever show anything was walking or driving through since the terrain never breaks up while grass can be flattened.

 

So  is it possible to create a snow grass mod or even a snow colored water mod that would sit on top of the snow texture, to create the depth? So players can be knee deep in "snow" or hide in some snow. And to show disruption if something passed through?

 

The snow colored water mod would need to turn off the wave effect shader and drowning effect but I think it would be good enough to hid the player if they prone. Does not have to be water but some kind of object with depth.

 

This is just thinking out loud to increase the immersion of snow effects. Sorta like an opposite of the NO GRASS mods out there.

 

Could be applied to sand, mud or dirt as well.

hiking-trail-snow-30268489.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Valken said:

Was roaming around a bunch of snow maps and one thing that bugged me was that the SNOW texture was MOSTLY FLAT with trees sticking out like sore thumbs. Hard to ever show anything was walking or driving through since the terrain never breaks up while grass can be flattened.

 

So  is it possible to create a snow grass mod or even a snow colored water mod that would sit on top of the snow texture, to create the depth? So players can be knee deep in "snow" or hide in some snow. And to show disruption if something passed through?

 

The snow colored water mod would need to turn off the wave effect shader and drowning effect but I think it would be good enough to hid the player if they prone. Does not have to be water but some kind of object with depth.

 

This is just thinking out loud to increase the immersion of snow effects. Sorta like an opposite of the NO GRASS mods out there.

 

Could be applied to sand, mud or dirt as well.

 

Very true. Some new snow effects would be awesome. VBS has some amazing snow stuff going on now-snow melting and causing rivers to flood, vehicles getting stuck in it, weight of snow causing roofs to collapse..there are videos on youtube showing it. 

 

For a map with a different snow style, check out Bariga-it only has patchy snow here and there, and it looks good. Sorry for the bad pic-it was the only one I has on my PC, but it shows what I mean :)

 

Sh8Mvw9.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ineptaphid,

 

Thanks for the photo. Looks really good so I will try it. The only other winter maps with great terrain detail were Ural and Chernobyl Zone where they had a lot of smaller winter shrub to mask the flat snow texture.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the illusion of snow depth could be achieved by making the ground not flat. Like, at roads or paths or areas of high general traffic the terrain dips down and the textures change from snow to snowy dirt or dirty snow or whatever. Grasslands and fields having uneven ground, accumulation of snow drifts, that kind of stuff.  I think the size of polys in terrain meshes are usually too big to do that well though. I've actually spent a decent amount of time pondering how snow could be done right in arma in moments of boredom. I can't say I've ever seen a terrain do winter correctly. What bothers me more than the awkwardness of ground snow is probably all the tress becoming entirely white. Sometimes snow packs on to surfaces of trees like branches, but that only accumulates in extreme conditions and will usually eventually fall or be blown down. All deciduous trees and bushes should be bare, maybe with a light dusting of snow for the impression of snow in the air being blown or recent fall. Conifers will be same, not all white but lightly dusted. We have decent bare trees and we already have conifers so I don't know the excuses and I don't know why they always go through the trouble of making these silly looking white trees. Areas where there is tall grass like marshes or general grasslands tend to have some grass still poking up and some incomplete coverage over the grass. Forest floors will have the bare bushes and occasional dead plant sticking out, plus things like fallen trees amd branches, but end up pretty empty and consistently covered in snow. In towns your snow is packed down or melted in a lot of spots and it will end up rough and uneven from foot traffic, so some rough looking snow textures with blends of removed, melted, or dirtied snows where appropriate would supplement, but overall towns would be flat. Also, things like fences, statics, houses, sheds, stores, whatever, they all need some snow added in their top surfaces, in the very least in the form of retexture. I'd figure the people making snow maps must've seen snow and know how it works, but I do understand it is a lot lot lot lot lot of work to do all of it right. I couldn't and wouldn't expect that from a modder ever though, terrain making is enough work as is without all that overhead work to make it perfect. 

 

TL;DR: Bohemia should just make a winter map to make the perfect environmental recreation, like they did for jungles with Tanoa.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 5:46 AM, wsxcgy said:

TL;DR: Bohemia should just make a winter map to make the perfect environmental recreation, like they did for jungles with Tanoa.

 

Would be awesome if Bis would create Winter versions of Altis, Stratis and Malden to test the snow depth theory. Perfect Christmas 2017 DLC for us. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valken said:

Would be awesome if Bis would create Winter versions of Altis, Stratis and Malden to test the snow depth theory. Perfect Christmas 2017 DLC for us. :D

not gonna happen...also, wrong thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im part of a milsim community and looking for a mod that, Simulates someone drinking Coffe/tea

 

Is there any mod/addon for this

 

Mvh

Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!

Could anyone point out to a working civilian jets mod, which is compatible with the latest version of Arma 3? There used to be the Ivory Jets mod, but it is not compatible with the game anymore. Thanks! :dontgetit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im part of a milsim community and looking for a mod that, Simulates someone drinking Coffe/tea

 

Is there any mod/addon for this

 

Mvh

Smurf

 

The only thing that comes to mind is the DSS mod, It had a survival module that had a drinking animation for canteens, sodas etc.... https://youtu.be/7LyEhhbqxkY?t=29

....however, the mod hasn't been supported for a few years now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!

Could anyone point out to a working civilian jets mod, which is compatible with the latest version of Arma 3? There used to be the Ivory Jets mod, but it is not compatible with the game anymore. Thanks! :dontgetit:

 

You should check this mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725531641

Also Sabre's ones.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756347016&searchtext=sabre

And if I'm not wrong CUP Vehicles have some civilian planes too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 6:02 PM, PuFu said:

not gonna happen...also, wrong thread

Well aren't you a bundle of joy! There goes all hope! :D

 

Maybe some modder can create the texture layers to remap the official BIS maps to winter like the Chernarus version... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Valken said:

Well aren't you a bundle of joy! There goes all hope! :D

 

Maybe some modder can create the texture layers to remap the official BIS maps to winter like the Chernarus version... 

I think it would be silly, Altis, Malden, and Stratis are all way too close to the equator. Maybe CSAT makes a new device that causes climate change, to rival their earthquake machine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Virtual Arsenal, like many, I would like to see numbered stats/specs, mostly for weapons. 

 

I searched the web and did not find a mod.  Is there a mod or a function one can activate too see gear specs in numbers, or better still, DPS, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

I think it would be silly, Altis, Malden, and Stratis are all way too close to the equator. Maybe CSAT makes a new device that causes climate change, to rival their earthquake machine?

 

Leaked CSAT Counter Intelligence and Mother Nature Joint Operations Command reports regarding current ongoing NATO and ISIS activity in the region:
 

Quote

 

Jerusalem Israel:

snow-jerusalem.jpg

slide_329566_3224282_free.jpg

 

Palestine / West Bank, Israel:

 

slide_329566_3224281_free.jpg?1386937134

 

Cairo, Egypt:

snow-in-cairo-egypt-december-2013-1.jpg

 

Istanbul Turkey:

istanbul-snow-nationalturk-0482.jpg

 

Acropolis Greece:

NEWS_SNOW_07.jpg

 

Island of Skopelos, Greece:

NEWS_SNOW_06.jpg

 

Aleppo, Syria:

aZQwbNG.jpg

 

Homs, Syria:

2013-12-11T201530Z_01_SYR37_RTRIDSP_3_SY

Suspects found in Syria:

snow-middle-east.jpgmaxresdefault-2.jpg

 

Lebanon:

2013-12-11T164530Z_01_LBN06_RTRIDSP_3_SY

455072551.jpg&w=1484

 

 

Looks like Cobra is really gearing up the Weather  Dominator, again:

 

Cobra_MASS_wip_13.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Valken said:

Leaked CSAT Counter Intelligence and Mother Nature Joint Operations Command reports regarding current ongoing NATO and ISIS activity in the region:
Looks like Cobra is really gearing up the Weather  Dominator, again:

lmao okay you got me there. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since i am from Greece ...

and the developers have include Malden (Lefkada Island , Greece ) , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefkada

I think it would be nice a winter edition.!

Malden:

Island of Lefkada (or Lefkas) ,  Greece , in winter:

xioni_sti_lefkada_201703.jpg

DSCN3754.jpg

67.jpg

315.jpg

 

karya-xioni1.jpg217.jpg9278b3e78794ccf125fea4774dc57027.jpg

 

 

and an overal view of the island (summer)

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Since i am from Greece ...

and the developers have include Malden (Lefkada Island , Greece ) , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefkada

I think it would be nice a winter edition.!

Wowzers! That is beautiful. I second this request, the Mediterranean is really pretty and winter is really pretty, putting them together, how do you go wrong? Maybe texture the grasses to be thinner looking, texture the ground textures with some snow buildup, texture snowy roofs, modified lighting, slightly snowy trees. I don't know how it would work exactly but I'd imagine there's a way.

 

9 hours ago, Valken said:

Looks like Cobra is really gearing up the Weather  Dominator, again:

 

Cobra_MASS_wip_13.jpg

This has got me thinking, we need a Cobra faction and a Weather Dominator as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!

I searched everywhere, but I have not yet found a mod of the new galil, the galil ace. It would be incredible to have this weapon in Arma 3

 

RPC_Fort-227.jpg

galil_ace_2x.jpg

 

1200px-IWI-ACE-N-22-5_56mm-NATO-Magazine

Ace_32_close_stock.jpg

 

Ace_52_side_2.jpg

ACE32.JPG

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 5:03 AM, wsxcgy said:

This has got me thinking, we need a Cobra faction and a Weather Dominator as well.

 

There is this mod on Steam Workshop but I think it needs more work:

 

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052782388/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

 

Hiss Tank here:

 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=461673906

 

 

There is also this mod from ARMA 2 (really great) and love to see it ported to ARMA 3:

 

And then this classic mod for Operation Flashpoint:

 

 

Would love to see a modern updated version of Cobra as OPFOR engaging NATO, CSAT and independents for ARMA domination.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see an addon that simulates shockwave on vegetation, making trees "swinging" around a bit if something explodes near them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RabbitSniper said:

Does anyone know of a mod that adds a placeable rope?

 

Thanks

Do you mean a rope as a placeable editor object? I was looking for one as well..Couldnt find one. And I know why you want it ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×