ran

Kiev russian aircraft carrier

Ermh... looks rather high-polygon... and could use some texturing tounge.gif

Dude how many polys is that??

wow. Nice.

I like the look of that.

I am soooo happy that ships are being made for flashpoint.

lol that thing looks like 10,000,000 polys.

Aircraft carriers huh!

You wait ages for one and then two come along at once. biggrin.gif

Nice!

Yeah, any words from the creator? (I'm aware a picture's worth a thousand words biggrin.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Oct. 06 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, any words from the creator? (I'm aware a picture's worth a thousand words biggrin.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

At OFP.INFO:

Prospero: Still a long way to go, but anyway...

cool... but why show em so early? now i know about it and have to wait. tounge.gif

GREAT WORK!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Oct. 06 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do u need GeForce6 to be able to run this thing? Or will GeForce 5 do?  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think that if you have a Radeon 9700 the game will go down to 1fps when you put this baby on the mission.

GeForce4 minimum, and really designed to be placed out at sea (without land in sight, and viewdistance set to < 1000m), or as a Quake-type level in itself (yes, it is enterable) for "storm the aircraft carrier" levels. The carrier is 274 meters long.

I started it purely as an experiment - can one take a very high poly-count model and import it into OFP? The answer seems to be yes, with a few tricks.

Oh and I did check - at this stage it is actually quite playable on a GeForce3 system. And it's just fine when walking around it - when the engine doesn't have to render too much of it at once.

I would be very grateful for any pointers to (or indeed, soft/hardcopies of) suitable photographic reference material of the Kiev class carriers (not the Modified Kiev class - that's a pretty different animal). This will help speed the production process.

One more thing - I am currently modeling the deck runway paint pattern as a solid object to avoid the rather ghastly way the OFP engine renders runway textures from afar.

Prospero

whered you get the model from? It looks vaguely like a model from Commanche/Hokum, in a non textured sort of way

looks great..high poly like most people mentioned. u can remove some unwanted details..like those squares on the floor..did u make this model from scratch?

cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Oct. 07 2002,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">GeForce4 minimum, and really designed to be placed out at sea (without land in site, and viewdistance set to < 1000m), or as a Quake-type level in itself (yes, it is enterable) for "storm the aircraft carrier" levels. The carrier is 274 meters long.

I started it purely as an experiment - can one take a very high poly-count model and import it into OFP? The answer seems to be yes, with a few tricks.

Oh and I did check - at this stage it is actually quite playable on a GeForce3 system. And it's just fine when walking around it - when the engine doesn't have to render too much of it at once.

I would be very grateful for any pointers to (or indeed, soft/hardcopies of) suitable photographic reference material of the Kiev class carriers (not the Modified Kiev class - that's a pretty different animal). This will help speed the production process.

One more thing - I am currently modeling the deck runway paint pattern as a solid object to avoid the rather ghastly way the OFP engine renders runway textures from afar.

Prospero<span id='postcolor'>

How did u overcome 128 meters limit for models?

I just hope this doesn't become one of those overly ambitious projects that never gets finished. confused.gif

Fingers crossed...looks nice.

I don´t know mucho about doing Addons, but the radar of the heli in the screen shows many objects around. Maybe it´s not just an Addon but two or more put together. Just a thought.

Thanks habdoel:) I already have that link though:(

I was looking at purchasing some ref material from Jane's, but they charge almost ten thousand dollars for their Warships CD...

Talk about a f****ng rip off. For that sort of money, I'd want my own scrapped Kiev class carrier.

Prospero

i cant find other ones, but i go to the library some of these days, we have a good military section(mostly ww2)...and we have a good scanner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Sharpshooter @ Oct. 07 2002,10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don´t know mucho about doing Addons, but the radar of the heli in the screen shows many objects around. Maybe it´s not just an Addon but two or more put together. Just a thought.<span id='postcolor'>

I think we are looking at a static model of the Kiev with several enemy units (guns and aircraft) on top of it. It would have to be static to keep the other objects from falling off while the carrier is moving.