isenhand

LandGrid reference exceeded the range

I'm getting the following error in Terran builder:

ErrorMessage: {error} LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023, 1023], it is [753, 1025]

The error occurs when trying to view the terrain in Buldozer *after* I have added tress. I can see the terrain ok before I add trees. I have seen a solution to this for ARMA 2 but that doesn't work for ARMA 3.

Additionally, I get this message in the logs just before the error message:

No world found

Anyone with any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

Thanks. But that was for ARMA 2. The option are not available in the ARMA 3 version. So, still need a fix for ARMA 3.

I believe I had this issue before. What are the settings of your mapframe properties? Set Easting to 200000 and Northing to 0, and make sure your layers are imported at these settings too.

Are you using pboproject to build your map? Don't use addon builder, it will blindly build your terrain and tell you everything is ok, even if it's full of errors

I'm using terrain builder that comes with ARMA 3 toots on steam

<< Set Easting to 200000 and Northing to 0, and make sure your layers are imported at these settings too. >>

I went through all the layers just to check and they are all at the right coords. Just to be extra certain I redid the whole project from scratch importing each layer at the right coords. It still crashes with the same error message :(

11 hours ago, isenhand said:

I'm using terrain builder that comes with ARMA 3 toots on steam

I know that lol. But what are you using to make the pbo file to use in Arma? And I know its crashing with Bulldozer, but if you try to make the pbo with pboproject, it might tell you what's wrong with it

I was just using buldozer, I'll give the pbo a go next time I get a chance to play! Thanks.

ErrorMessage: {error} LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023, 1023], it is [2046, 2046]

This is fixed by increasing your texture layer size. Mapframe properties -> samplers -> texture layer. On larger terrains it is not enough to have this 2x your cell size, it has to be more, for example your cell size is 25m so instead of 50m use 100m texture layer size.

Remember that every time you change texture layer, you have to generate layers from processing tab.

Thank you very much, Snake Man. That worked :)

My cell size is at 30m so I put texture layer  to 120 and I can now run Buldozer :)

1 hour ago, isenhand said:

Thank you very much, Snake Man. That worked :)

My cell size is at 30m so I put texture layer  to 120 and I can now run Buldozer :)

Why is you cell size that high? http://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma:terrain:grid_cell_size

Also what size is your height map and sat map? I think you may be making some common newbie mistakes

Cell size is the same as the resolution for the height map. 30 m/px.

3 hours ago, isenhand said:

Cell size is the same as the resolution for the height map. 30 m/px.

That's going to look really bad, your sat map should be 1mpx. Your sat map will end up looking like something from the late 90s lol. Also why are you using a cell size of 30? The terrain is going to look bad at that size, I think altis is 4(?).

On 1/7/2017 at 4:05 PM, Snake Man said:

ErrorMessage: {error} LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023, 1023], it is [2046, 2046]

This is fixed by increasing your texture layer size. Mapframe properties -> samplers -> texture layer. On larger terrains it is not enough to have this 2x your cell size, it has to be more, for example your cell size is 25m so instead of 50m use 100m texture layer size.

Remember that every time you change texture layer, you have to generate layers from processing tab.

You actually want your texture layer size to be as close to 40m as you can get with your cell size and imagery resolution. Don't remember why but Miro was the one who told me that and I trust him... as we all do.

So how do you suggest to fix landgrid reference exceeded the range error?

On 1/14/2017 at 11:21 PM, Snake Man said:

So how do you suggest to fix landgrid reference exceeded the range error?

Not sure. It could just be a bad map design, 30m/px is fairly large and the engine might not like it. But Miro has always said to aim for 40 for texture layer size

I thought so. Texture layer size needs to be minimum of 2 x cell size, probably closer to 4 x.

That might be true too but perhaps Miro meant that terrains with an optimum texture layer size have a size of 40.

According to the height map I got, my terrain was supposed to be 30m/px. But when I put objects in it was obviously too large. So, I re set it to 10/px and that look about right. It also works better.