aussieterry84

Where would BIS have to go next, to top the Tanoa map?

For me it struck me while watching a youtube vlog, country America, with little towns and thick forests. Because for me at the moment Tanoa is the greatest ArmA map ever released. Its gonna be very hard for the next original map (non remakes) to top the thrill of Tanoa.

From what I remember on the 'behind the scene' videos of Tanoa, they shortlist a few regions and eventually decide through internal demos and discussions.

If looking for a place they haven't been before, South America/Mexico would be cool, revisiting the world of Ghost Recon advanced warrior. If the next map is with the next version of Arma and new engine, if it renders that much better, eastern Europe may be cool to see in high definition and take us back to the title's roots.

With Tanoa, BI seemed to predict the crazy Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and we always feel on the verge of a another European war, so who knows!?!

Africa has a lot of operations going on nowadays and has quite a few different biomes. There are gleaming coasts, thick jungles, and endless deserts. There's a lot in terms of resources going on there as well, what with China looking to expand their footprint there to compete with the West. I could realistically see it as a potential theater.

• Like 3

I know people are sick of the middle east..But I would LOVE a modern well made map of an east Afhan region like the Hindu Kush. Alkl those high mountains and river valleys-thick pine forests and little towns. Great for SpecOps missions as well as convoys and ambushes and choppers navigating the mountain passes. Takistan is just too open and featureless-you see enemies from kilometres away easily there. the FATA map captured it quite well-but I mean something on the scale of Altis or Tanoa.

• Like 8

I agree with revisiting the Middle East and certainly for the reasons given by ineptaphid. If the Arma 3 (along with the 64 bit upgrade) would allow us to enjoy bigger towns with more maze-like alleyways, seen on FATA as well, it would be a welcomed addition.

• Like 4

I'd love to see an African map, there is such a wide range of terrain in African countries. I'd also like to see another non-island map like Chernarus was. An African savannah with some towns and villages, maybe a single city with the whole map surrounded by desert and maybe a coastline on one side.

• Like 5

BIS has covered Woodland with Chernarus, Desert with Takistan, mediterranean/island with Altis, Jungle with Tanoa, think its time they went with Mountains/Snow environment. Urban needs better building/furniture tech! :)

• Like 9

I hope they will keep and port the current maps Altis/Stratis, Tanoa (and Malden) to future games/projects plus adding new maps. Would be nice to have 5 or 6 different BI maps providing the same quality for the game at the same time :)

• Like 1

I vote for arid Africa, e.g. Savannah. Tonal where art thou?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tupolov said:

BIS has covered Woodland with Chernarus, Desert with Takistan, mediterranean/island with Altis, Jungle with Tanoa, think its time they went with Mountains/Snow environment. Urban needs better building/furniture tech! :)

I rather would like to see a stable  season system than just a fixed snow map.

• Like 8

I`d love to see a proper BIS snowy terrain at some point. Something along the likes of Finland, Sweden, etc. Winter ponchos, parkas, overcoats, etc. Africa could also be lovely. Still have fond memories of running around in the boiling heat of Far Cry 2. Something similar in Arma would definitely be sweet.

1 hour ago, luki said:

I rather would like to see a stable  season system than just a fixed snow map.

Agreed, proper snow system with terrain deformation, blizzard/mud effects etc.To some extent its also about the assets that come with these terrains - vegetation, rocks, cliff faces etc that would help the community build out further mountain/cold weather scenarios.

• Like 5

I'd like to see something like Hokkaido (Japan's most northern main island). I think this location would be suitable for a good snow terrain and would offer pretty unique assets of all types that haven't been done before. Cherry blossoms and other exotic Japanese vegetation would be aesthetically new to players. Not to mention Japanese architecture. Imagine combat in and around old feudal Japanese shrines.

If im honest i dont want to see another bohemia map. the quality is average and they do not fix even major gamebreaking bugs or barely have any kind of love or long term support for the maps. they keep on using buggy rocks and glitchy objects instead of just fixing them once and forever. Its time for some Major FIX DLC.

and first of all the new standard of mapping is Taunus. Tanoa is a joke against it imho.... Tanoa is in my eyes some beta at least. barely any destruction of building or any object working, barely enterable buildings. no furniture at all... map gets old after 2 weeks... and jeez.. the rocks are even more glitchy than those from Altis and Stratis...

7 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

If im honest i dont want to see another bohemia map. the quality is average and they do not fix even major gamebreaking bugs or barely have any kind of love or long term support for the maps. they keep on using buggy rocks and glitchy objects instead of just fixing them once and forever. Its time for some Major FIX DLC.

and first of all the new standard of mapping is Taunus. Tanoa is a joke against it imho.... Tanoa is in my eyes some beta at least. barely any destruction of building or any object working, barely enterable buildings. no furniture at all... map gets old after 2 weeks... and jeez.. the rocks are even more glitchy than those from Altis and Stratis...

Personally I think BI's maps are some of the highest quality out there. The detail on the terrain itself is often great and you only have to look back to 2012 to see the length's the dev's have gone to get it right. Admittedly it is a shame to see a lack of furniture and enterable buildings but BI have given a reason for this - performance. Taunus is a lovely map but it cannot hold up to the performance of Altis and Tanoa in my experience.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:44 AM, tupolov said:

Agreed, proper snow system with terrain deformation, blizzard/mud effects etc.To some extent its also about the assets that come with these terrains - vegetation, rocks, cliff faces etc that would help the community build out further mountain/cold weather scenarios.

100% on this, getting vehicles stuck in mud because its raining would be amazing. Although that could quickly descend into feature creep and a lot more work than just a map.

• Like 3

I'd like to see urban maps, and on top of that, improved CQB AI who can better utilize buildings and interior combat; a feature quite lacking in the ArmA series and would be a good new ground for BI to pave.

• Like 3

Well, at this point, if anything exotic, I would try African indeed. Apart from that, well, the only thing, I would be thrilled about is a piece of my own country/region, which is unlikely, since Chernarus is "diffrent but similar". And yes, perhaps time to move forward rather whole terrain technology as for optimization, season cycles/weather on the terrain impact etc. BI always had great map designs, that deserve more love from technical side to make them shine even brighter. Also, I'm not really CQB fan, but I can't ignore, so also whole interiors/urban aspects could be improved. And, as for me most important thing, finally make vanilla maps "enliven on wish" (best on engine level), not 100% desolated. With extensive, user friendly customization of course. These are directions, I would love to see in the next Arma. 

• Like 1

Mountainous region/mountain platou.   

• Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 10:46 AM, Maio said:

Mountainous region/mountain platou.   

This, more of this!

I already liked Tanoa with a lot of inaccessible areas, however having some mountain ranges would really be something.

For me I want to see modern urban...a huge city state like the below but it can be fictional of course:

We have the GPU power and storage via SSD now... its only the engine that needs updating to support it.

• Like 1

Sounds like BIS are better off investing in terrain tech rather than a specific map, but honestly I doubt that will happen.

There was a lot of press/coverage around Altis and similar for Tanoa despite things like lack of enterable buildings, furniture, weather system. If you're BIS, you know you have a good terrain/map team so you want to put those guys to work building a terrain(s) that will sell the next "expansion" - if there is one. Keep in mind the next few DLCs are not expansions, so maybe we will get DLC specific terrains - like a large low fidelity map for aircraft, or a something suitable for tanks - again avoiding the urban/enterable building issue.

Given that we have no clue what Tac-Ops DLC or Orange DLC will be, we can only speculate. Tac-Ops could bring an urban map and maybe Orange DLC (knowing those guys love their procedural gen) will address furniture and other such things from an environment perspective.

Sadly, given the move to Enfusion at some point, I doubt they will invest in improving the terrain/weather tech, but we can only hope!

• Like 2

Somewhere green and dirty, I hate Altis and it's endless yellow and don't like Tanoa with it's ultra clean buildings. It's like all the buildings where made that day lol. I loved Chernarus with it's dirty rundown look.

A terrain in a small modern city would be nice. Sort of like Georgetown on Tanoa except maybe 3-4 times bigger, with more detail. Trade-off is of course low detail outside the city but we do need a modern, urban environment.

Having a Takistan/FATA/Zargabad style map with current Arma 3 tech would be a most welcome addition to the game.  My group often gravitate back to the small villages of Takistan (great performance also) when we struggle to get over 30fps on Tanoa and Altis.  Don't get me wrong - Tano is a spectacle to behold and a great accomplishment, however, do we enjoy creating battle scenarios in a seaside vacation spot......bring me a war-torn gritty half destroyed city on the outskirts of the Afghan boarder anytime :)

With the size of Altis and more recently, Tanoa, I would argue a case for the possibility to have regional weather or certainly regional terrain differences with high mountain areas with snow covered hilltops while lower areas may see rolling hills etc.

Wishlist for me would include:

River system (not just Islands as in Tanoa)

Extreme terrain differences on the same Map -  (Desert - Woodland - Snow), if one large Continent style map again.

Several smaller Terrains rather than one huuuuuge continent (performance issues)

• Like 4