aussieterry84

Where would BIS have to go next, to top the Tanoa map?

I think a map with a focus more on natural structures would be really cool.  Something like arches, caves, and maybe a better developed underwater area for scuba missions.  One of the things that I disliked about Altis was the repetition of either bland farmland or sparsely forested area.  Tanoa was a nice change up and I liked the tall rock faces, but it was still mostly a large rain forest along with plantations.  I know that there were special areas in both, like the excavation, salt lake, and swamp, but more of this kind of stuff that provides variation needs to be present.

Also, I'd like to see them either make the terrain war-ravaged with wrecks, damaged buildings, and military bases, or peaceful with none of those things.  Having a half-damaged island without a strong story behind it (the civil war really doesn't inspire me) sometimes limits the areas where I can create missions. It would allow map makers to develop their own stories and bases/wrecks.   Also, seeing futuristic vehicle wrecks in the middle of battle also breaks immersion slightly.

• Like 4

I'd love to see some big mountainous terrains with space for helicopter or aircraft operations, and room for patrols on the ground. And snow!

Settings that I think would be really good would be;

Far East Siberia: CSAT vs Russia
Himalayas: CSAT vs INDFOR
Norway: CSAT friendly Russia invading vs NATO

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, flax_ said:

100% on this, getting vehicles stuck in mud because its raining would be amazing. Although that could quickly descend into feature creep and a lot more work than just a map.

Why don't you mod this feature now?  Detect the ground texture under the vehicle (like you do with SoundHit), check if its raining, if so, slow the vehicle by some percentage.

Need a proper Winter Map..with a DLC of snowmobiles and snow machines..snowfall,blizzard conditions and frozen lakes and rivers..

Diesel

13 minutes ago, diesel tech jc said:

Need a proper Winter Map..with a DLC of snowmobiles and snow machines..snowfall,blizzard conditions and frozen lakes and rivers..

Diesel

One thing I would warn against with snow maps...Think of playing on Takistan-it is so open and all one colour, that you can spot enemies easily from hundreds of metres away. The same could easily happen with snow maps making them quite dull, unless masive care to detail was given to trees, rocks, ground clutter etc.

1 hour ago, ineptaphid said:

One thing I would warn against with snow maps...Think of playing on Takistan-it is so open and all one colour, that you can spot enemies easily from hundreds of metres away. The same could easily happen with snow maps making them quite dull, unless masive care to detail was given to trees, rocks, ground clutter etc.

Yeah that's true...Thirsk was a decent mix but it just isn't up to A3 standards..something like a late fall snow or early spring where there is a mix would be great. Chernaurus is ok but again not really up to A3 standards. Regardless I would really like to see one..or take it a step further and do a season mix...where the mission maker decides the season..from a late fall turning into winter with snow cover.

Fictional Scandinavian Island, somewhere in the Baltic Sea, NATO tensions with Russia, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AegisWolf said:

Fictional Scandinavian Island, somewhere in the Baltic Sea, NATO tensions with Russia, etc.

^ This guy... this guy right here knows what he's talking about. I would prefer that it's NATO vs USSR back in the mid 80s though.

I would be quite interested in a map set in Scandinavia, but I don't really think there's much opportunity for a story around that area.

On 1/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, aussieterry84 said:

For me it struck me while watching a youtube vlog, country America, with little towns and thick forests. Because for me at the moment Tanoa is the greatest ArmA map ever released. Its gonna be very hard for the next original map (non remakes) to top the thrill of Tanoa.

Thats easy aussieterry.... Sahrani

On 1/15/2017 at 0:20 PM, Aengus Lennox said:

I'd say a big city in Europe/America. If it had an airport that could make for some great missions!

Taunus might satisfy your needs: 

• Like 1

An all land terrain map, like Vietnam jungle all over, with some more open spots around, but not just a jungle in the center, or with patches of jungle, full jungle map, Chernarus size:

• Multiple hilltops, not too small.

• Rivers, running and trickling, deep and shallow.

• More wooden structures, and no concrete stuff.

• Sensible creation of new vehicle assets. STOL aircraft and helicopters, non futuristic.

• Non-self-propelled artillery

• A more refined jungle, and not like Tanoa, with either "passable" or "non passable" jungle, for vehicles. A little more variation to the density of the jungle.

• Traceable tracks on the ground, from passed players and vehicles. Not necessarily a 100% whole trace, but across trace'able ground, like mud, sand, etc.

• Having pre-built defensive positions already fixed to locations around the entire map, here and there.

• Birds going quiet by players making noise nearby. I never experienced that on the Tanoa map.

• Make an effort creating environmental sounds, that are mixed, and having variations (not just some damn and same tweet-tweet-tweet sound).

• Multiple variations of the map, to offer different types of gameplay. I.e a variant with razed mountain tops (among other things), maybe more crop fields in an area, etc. 

• Destructible base objects, that look nice. Making destruction of things more meaningful for gameplay (like razing an area beyond repair), not just to make it pretty.

On 14/1/2017 at 4:28 PM, AegisWolf said:

Bornholm at your service :f: