Sign in to follow this  
pierreofthefrench

Workshop Missions and Mods - What can missions/mods execute?

Hi all, I've poked around with missions scripting in the past, but I'm really looking for a concrete answer on this. I love modding and mods in general for all games, but, as a software engineer myself, I tend to get a bit paranoid of what I install / grant permissions to.

When I download an Arma3 Mission or Mod, what kind of things can these do? ie. Execute .exes, include and reference compiled c++?

I know that mission files are .pbo, which contain an arma scripting language, which limits itself to functionality supported by the engine. However, I've always seen a lot of references to compiled C++ code. Some mods (like Breaking Point) seem to do a lot more than just script together some gameplay behaviors so I can only assume it does a bit more than just scripting language things.

Looking through the CUPs addons and BattleRoyale, I only see .pbos and a few other non-code/binaries. Are there particular restrictions on mods vs missions, how can I tell if they're trying to install/execute binaries or arbitrary code? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the only way to go about this is, if the author specifically states to not alter work then you cannot, if they say you can well you can, if nothing is said then I presume you can look at it? But if you wanna republish then ask? 

On 1/7/2017 at 7:21 AM, xxgetbuck123 said:

I guess the only way to go about this is, if the author specifically states to not alter work then you cannot, if they say you can well you can, if nothing is said then I presume you can look at it? But if you wanna republish then ask? 

That wasn't quite what I meant. I was more referring to the technical capabilities of the mods/missions themselves, not really making changes to them personally. When I download user created content to my computer, I want to know what it can do. For instance, can a mission include a script that will read from any arbitrary file on the system? Stuff akin to that. Appreciate the reply though!

There are some Mods with .dlls which are able to create Files etc. Not sure If there is a real Limit or not

Hi i have a question will the template command allow special characters?

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions {
        class ARMA3 {
                template = Policepro99's%20Somalia%20War%20Server.Mog;                         // Mission to load (Mission file located in MPMissions. For now I have it set to a default ARMA3 mission.)
                difficulty = "Regular";                                         // Server difficulty Settings (Recruit, Regular, Veteran, Mercenary)
        };
};