I assume you'll make a custom map for this mod, right?

Ships and uniforms are pieces of art. Good job! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think what is most enjoyable about this thread is that we can tell you are enjoying the work you are doing. It's a fresh breath into ArmA and honestly I think it's really awesome that you are taking the time to animate all the rigging, coming from a maritime school in the states, I love every bit of this. Cheers!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2018 at 3:14 AM, atunero said:

I assume you'll make a custom map for this mod, right?

Ships and uniforms are pieces of art. Good job! 

I'm trying to get a map made but no one has really stepped up to do it.  Ideally I would need a map that includes the easy coast of Florida, the Bahamas, the Grand Bahamas and of course New Providence Island.  For now though the Berry Islands would be alright.

On 2/22/2018 at 5:48 AM, HitmanTwoActual said:

I think what is most enjoyable about this thread is that we can tell you are enjoying the work you are doing. It's a fresh breath into ArmA and honestly I think it's really awesome that you are taking the time to animate all the rigging, coming from a maritime school in the states, I love every bit of this. Cheers!

Thank you!  I do enjoy it.  Learning the real history behind the pirates of New Providence island was an eye opener and I really want to bring what I learned to this project.

• Like 2

And May I add that that horse Mod has great potenial not just as extra for your era, your going for but WWI & II! hope the guy who made it expands & Improves apon it... 

As I already said over at PA!, this looks amazing!

I just finished 'The Republic of Pirates' and 'Under the Black Flag', so this certainly is a nice coincidence for me :P

Out of curiosity, what did you use as a base for the Persephone? The AotS Blandford?

And do you need both a french warship and a merchant or a combination of both, like the Whydah Galley?

10 hours ago, malibu.stacey said:

As I already said over at PA!, this looks amazing!

I just finished 'The Republic of Pirates' and 'Under the Black Flag', so this certainly is a nice coincidence for me :P

Out of curiosity, what did you use as a base for the Persephone? The AotS Blandford?

And do you need both a french warship and a merchant or a combination of both, like the Whydah Galley?

I'm half way through with 'The Republic of Pirates'.  I've also listened to "A General History of the Pyrates" on youtube.  Very fascinating.  Hard to believe it's not fiction.

Yes, the Persephone is based on the AotS Blanford with a longer forscle and quarterdeck.  She can also fill the roles of the HMS Phoenix, HMS Greyhound, and thankfully the Whydah.

The French ship would be a combination, preferably the La Mercure.  She, of course, would fill the role of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

• Like 3

The French ship would be a combination, preferably the La Mercure.  She, of course, would fill the role of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

Le Mercure certainly is a good starting point for a recontruction of the QAR (with some modifications, like a spritsail topmast), but as far as I know La Concorde was built as a privateer, so probably had sleeker lines than Le Mercure.

Here´s an interesting build log for two models commissioned for the North Carolina Maritime Museum, using a small, early 18th century french privateer as a base for the QAR: https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3741-queen-annes-revenge-by-shipmodel-1710-136-scale/&

To make matters even more confusing, one of the captives aboard Blackbeard's ship later described her as 'dutch-built', which may indicate a steeply rising sheer aft/quarterdeck, possibly similar in appearance to L' Aurore or Neptunus (No 14).

On 8.3.2018 at 11:02 PM, Delta Hawk said:

'm half way through with 'The Republic of Pirates'.  I've also listened to "A General History of the Pyrates" on youtube.  Very fascinating.  Hard to believe it's not fiction.

Yeah, some of the stuff that happened would make you cringe if you saw it on tv show (e.g. the lives of Avery or Rogers) . And it's amazing how small the vast majority of the pirate vessels were.

Speaking of ships, I tried to find some reference material for your asset list, but didn´t find that much as most of the plans I have are either out of period or shipped-rigged and thus too big.

If you want I can sent you some of the plans via pm :)

• Like 1

For gameplay purposes I'll probably use the La Mercure because she has a berth deck, which will give players a place to explore and experience the claustrophobic conditions on ship in addition to the motion of the ocean.  One of my goals is to make players uncomfortable just enough so they don't forget they're on a ship in ArmA ;)  I saw somewhere both the QAR and Whydah had quarter deck cabins but both Teach and Bellamy razée their new flagships to remove them.

In regards to small ship when testing out the sloop and the frigate in game in shallow waters it's very clear to me why they chose sloops more often than not instead of larger frigates, sloops being able to pass over the sand bars of the Caribbean where frigates otherwise would not. 

While Avery and Rogers were bad they pale in comparison to François l'Olonnais.  If you have time I would recommend listening to an audio book on youtube, called Buccaneers and Pirates of our Coasts that details his piratical career.

• Like 1

Can someone make an island like this with shoals?  Arma3_x64_2018-03-30_17-08-06-82.png

• Like 4

Hey everyone!  It has been awhile since the last update, but we've been busy working on some pretty exciting things.  Bloodwyn is currently making the sloop able to sail and he has done a great job so far!  The sailing experience will be authentic and very unusual for ArmA but I'm sure you all will enjoy it!  Once it's finish we'll look at making a video on sailing in ArmA.

I recently switched over to 3d Coat for sculpting.  My first two projects from 3d coat were headwraps and slops.  Slops were clothing that poor sailors typically wore.

Nassau1715%20slops.jpg

• Like 19

Hey everyone, I know it's been awhile since the last update but we're still working hard on this project.  Bloodwyn has been working on the sailing system and a few additional features yet to be announced, but we feel we can show you this now.

We recently brought onboard Luca who is working on a map, a very important part of this project that is based on a real location with a very interesting history but more information will follow as the map comes along.  We're also thinking about multiplayer missions and how we can be historically authentic without sacrificing enjoyable and engaging gameplay. 

Right now we're in need of a Graphic User Interface designer to make some basic dialogues and to import a new font or two, something similar to this.  If you're interested in help sent me a pm.

Nassau1715_menu.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Awesome, this absolutely reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean game released by Bethesda in 2003.

• Like 2

Wow, things have really taken off since my last visit!

Let me know if you need any help with research or sailing model feedback.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 4:24 AM, Private Evans said:

Awesome, this absolutely reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean game released by Bethesda in 2003.

Interesting.  Anything in particular that reminds you of Pirates of the Caribbean?

It is the general atmosphere  of your screenshots. I imagine this old game to look like your stuff if it would have been released today on a more modern engine. The open world mode was amazing including a trading and faction system and random encounters and events that would perfectly work in your mod :)

cheers

Pirates of the Caribbean ist still modded btw

https://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Hey everyone.  We’ve been pretty quiet for a while now but that’s because we’re hard at work on some pretty amazing stuff.  So much has happened over the summer it's hard to include it all, but these are the biggest highlights that we would like to share with you for now.

@ppitm, who is an experienced real life sailor, is working with @bloodwyn1756, our scripting wizard, to deliver an authentic and engaging, yet playable and enjoyable sailing experience that encourages team work and basic seamanship.  We’re also working on some pretty creative ways of firing the cannons that has never been done in ArmA and using grappling hooks to “clap” two ships together for boarding.

Nassau_1715_sloop.jpg

Bava has been working on a French 4 pounder.  The 4 pounder was one of the smallest cannons carried by ships in the 18th century, usually on the gun deck of smaller ships and on the quarter deck and forecastle of larger ships.

nassau_1715_4_pounder.jpg

I’ve been working on a new uniform called Justacorps.  We incorrectly call them “frock coats” today but the justacorps, complete with jacket, waist coat and breeches, was the standard attire for any respectable man during this era.  They were made famous by Charles II in 1666 and have had a lasting effect on men’s fashion for centuries.  In fact, today’s 3 piece suit is a descendant of the Justacorps.  As this is the common fashion for men there will be several different Justacorps representing the different economic classes in the early 18th century.

nassau_1715_newjustacorps.jpg

Last, but not least, I would also like to announce our first terrain that Luca has been working on, Gun and Cat cays!  These are real islands off the coast of Florida and have a simple, but interesting history.  Cat Cay was named so because the island resembled a cat line of a ship.  The notorious pirates, Edward Teach alias Blackbeard and Charles Vane, used these islands during their piratical careers.  As much as a beautiful, tropical paradise as these islands are the shoals to the east side are a dangerous hazard even for the most experienced sailor.

nassau_1715_catcay.jpg

As this project develops we’re getting close to a release of a proof of concept which will include basic assets that we may be expanding as this project grows.  As you can imagine this is large project, so if you’re interested in helping out just send me a PM.  Specifically we're looking for 3d artists to create 18th century map structures and buildings, specifically English, Spanish including Castillo De San Marcos and maybe German, 18th century weapons and objects, and retexturing already created assets, and also animators to create weapon animations and ship actions

• Like 18

If I remember correctly a manual is on the list and should hopefully be included within the first release, don't quote me on it though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Digger James said:

Could you write perhaps a manual to how to sail and operate one of these boats?

In the long run, there´s going to be a small, square-rigged 'tutorial ship' with just three sails on two masts that should be very helpful in learning the basics of sailing like tacking and wearing :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Digger James said:

Could you write perhaps a manual to how to sail and operate one of these boats?

Yes, there will be a manual.  It will be important to know basic seamanship and sailing.  Thankfully, a lot of stuff has been simplified in Nassau 1715 so the manual won't be too big.

• Like 2

Ok, so a small update.  Though we've been quiet a lot has been going on.  We don't have a release date yet, but the puzzle pieces are beginning to fall into place for a proof of concept release.  We've been working on uniforms, the terrain, damage and firing cannons.  Not many pictures yet but we'll release some more information soon.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2