not many mods featuring old classy ships..(though there was a napoleonic themed mod complete with ships in OFP i think) especially not a 18th century galley frigate! im sure alot of people are hyped for this mod sir, besides.. all the possible shenanigans/scenarios/missions with this bad boy! 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2017 at 11:11 AM, warden_1 said:

I think it is more of a "how much can one person do in Arma" thing. So far you've got quite a bit of stuff going but as far as getting some outfits for characters, another weapon or two, the ships working in some combat form.... seems like a lot to look forward to. At the end of the day when all is said and done, a nice pirate themed map with smaller Caribbean islands and some navy vs pirates sort of battles would be cool. I really just want to shoot other people off the opposing ship with wildly inaccurate weapons.

I think whenever people hear the word "pirates" they think of flamboyant pegged leg sailors with an eye patch and a parrot on their shoulder saying "argh matey!", and then naturally only think of ship battles.  It's unfortunate because there was so much more interesting aspects of the early 18th century in the West Indies, not with just pirates, but people, governments, economics, British, French and Spanish influence.  But you're right, I'm only one person, though a couple guys are helping out with certain features.

Interesting piece of knowledge there was rifled muskets back then capable of hitting a man size target at 200 meters, which is odd since most people who play ArmA don't often engage targets beyond that range.  On the flip size of that, they took a lot longer to load verses the typical musket a soldier would use.

I decided that the only way a player could walk on a ship with dignity was to wear a cocked hat while doing so, so I made a cocked hat!  Cocked hats, as they were called in the 18th century, was a hat just about every male from most countries wore, including royalty and common farmers.  They had a very interesting history and in fact, were worn the way they were for a very good reason.  Originally soldiers wore large, felt, rimmed hats, kind of like the Musketeer's hats.  As muskets became the standard weapon on the battlefield, soldiers would cock up the right side brim to avoid the musket's lock burning the felt.  As they would shoulder their muskets on the left side of their bodies, they would cock up the left side brim.  Naturally the back side brim followed suit.  And as military uniforms back then signified wealth and influence of nations civilians would soon start wearing them.  They also had "cockades" on them, with the color signifying their country of origin.  This cocked hat is typical of what a British Naval Officer may wear in the early 18th century.

Arma3_x64%202017-07-03%2015-58-44-99.png

• Like 16

Hey everyone!  I'm excited to show you my latest addition to my ship, the French Naval Boarding Axe!  Naval boarding axes serve a distinctive purpose aboard an 18th century Man-O-War.  Smaller than a battle axe but larger than a hatchet they were used to clear away debris from a ship, cut away damaged rigging and pull away burning obstacles.  Also, obviously, they were used to split open the heads of the enemy, dismember them and lay their insides to bare.  As morbid as this sounds it makes you appreciate how we fight wars now days.  I'd pick a bullet over an axe to the head any day :/ 

Axe1.jpg

I also used a different approach to modelling and texturing this fearful weapon.  Instead of doing the traditional high poly to low poly projection I simply chamfered the edges, similar to how assets in the games Star Citizen and Space Engineers are modeled.  While to us it's more polygons to the game engine it's not that different than the traditional method, yet speeding up asset creation times and bypassing the normal map issue that plagues artists modelling for ArmA.

axe2.jpg

• Like 16

Hey guys, just want to give you all an update.  It has been quite exciting past two weeks.  I've continue work on the ship.  Using the multi material shader I've added tons of bolts (really oversized rivets) throughout the entire ship.  Though these little details are small it really adds to the immersion of being inside an early 18th century Man-O-War.

I've also started experimenting with damage.  This is going to be quite tricky as there's a lot of things that can break for a number of different reasons like masts and yards.  Hopefully soon I can show you all the inside.  Next week though I think I'll once again try making slops.

• Like 8

Awesome, I made a post in the tanks DLC saying how much I had hoped to see old tanks like a WW2 era M24 Chaffee/T-34/Sherman/etc used by syndicate.... something super obsolete, but still a big threat to an infantry squad that wasn't expecting to face that sort of threat and didn't bring appropriate weapons to deal with such a threat.

Some people thought a T-34 in 2035 would be too old, but I disagreed for the above reasons (it can still pose a threat far above the threat you'd face if you replaced the tank with modern infantry according to the crew number)

A ship like this would be even more out of date and even more awesome. I imagine you could make it have left and right guns with a magazine size of 10, fast ROF but long reload time, terrible accuracy, but still capable of outranging a standard infantry rifle.

Fun times could ensue when inserting this into a modern military scenario - assuming the side opposing it has no tanks/air/artillery support - like a mission where you play as FIA raiding a coastal area, and then out of the blue this thing shows up unleashing broadsides on your squad...

A static object would be cool, a static "turret" capable of firing broadsides would be even better.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ex3B said:

Fun times could ensue when inserting this into a modern military scenario - assuming the side opposing it has no tanks/air/artillery support - like a mission where you play as FIA raiding a coastal area, and then out of the blue this thing shows up unleashing broadsides on your squad...

A static object would be cool, a static "turret" capable of firing broadsides would be even better.

i plan on attaching some Phalanx CIWS and D-30 AT cannons on it for some fun battles against modern ships and planes XD

Yea...I don't know if that would go over very well lol.  The biggest hurdle I have in front of me right now is making a basic uniform.  I would like to make British and Spanish sailors and marines.  At least then there's a legit team vs team scenario.

• Like 1

Like spanish with the comb morion helmets and armor or later era spanish ?

Spanish circa 1715 that served in the West Indies.  As early as the second? sacking and occupation of Nassau by the Spanish and French in 1703 and as late at the wrecking of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet.  I don't think they still used morion helmets during that time but if you have studied this era I'm all ears.

From what I found so far it appears they largely abandoned the Comb Morion, so you are right there, the tri hats and other styles seem to have taken over by this time.

Just an idea but maybe lurking in the Total war center threads for empire total war, might give you some ideas , as it takes place roughly in that time era. 

I'll take a look there.

Good news everyone!  Someone from another community was kind enough to donate some assets for my use if I do decided to make a mod!  I can't say what these assets are, but one of them will be something every player will become very familiar with!

• Like 8

The latest "addition" that someone was kind enough to donate is coming along nicely. But in the mean time I want to show you my British soldier from around 1705. It took me awhile to get to this point and I worked on this most of my labor day weekend, so I hope you all like it. This isn't specific of any regiment but rather a generic testing platform for military uniforms from around early18th century.

If I was going to make a mod this would be the beginning of it. Imagine yourself as a 15 year old boy in England around 1705. If you were lucky you were poor and worked on a farm instead of being a starving beggar in the filth infested poor parts of London. You know the War of Spanish Succession rages across Europe, but for why and how you could not say, other than an inbred Spanish King has died and Europe did not want to see Spain and France unite under a single monarchy. Considering you were poor and had a roving mind that desired adventure you decide to volunteer to serve Queen Anne, a person you love and admire, and fight in the War of Spanish Succession. At least they would give you fair wages, drink and food, right? Hopefully Divine Providence will smile upon you with this opportunity to serve your country. Maybe, just maybe, this will be a good thing...right?

1715%20pic%201.jpg

• Like 13

So I've made my British soldier's accoutrements.  Yes, I've done my research.  By 1710 "British" would have been appropriate verses "English" :f:  At some point I'll make a French version.  It has also crossed my mind to make my first real life character.  I guess you could call him the "Darth Vadar" of 1715.  Can anyone guess who this is???  Here's a hint.  He was a real person torn between two sides but ultimately betrayed his comrades.

soldiers%202.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your likes guy! I definitely appreciate it! This weekend I took my musket and turned it into a pistol! It doesn't have reload animations yet nor is the cock and frizzle animated, but it is functional. A lot of the work I've been doing these past few months is making simple, functional assets to build upon and if this does turn into a mod, polish and improve on them.

A working pistol is actually one of my milestones for this small project. I have several milestones and I'm happy to say more than half of them are in a functional state.  And I can't say how much I appreciate the help I have been receiving from some very talented people in the community!  I don't want to go into detail but things are looking pretty good considering the nature of this project.

Next big milestone will probably involve bribing BIS with a few six packs of beer for some information.  We'll see how that goes.

1715_pistol.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

at this rate im gonna run out of compliments to give! that flintlock model is well done!

• Like 1

Another weekend update! This time it's the "pinnace."  It's very work in progress, more of a place holder to be honest as time is running out.  To the common land lubber it looks like a "long boat" but a pinnace was very different. Obviously a ship couldn't just sail right onto a beach, so they would use boats like the pinnace. They were two masted light boats used to ferry passengers or soldiers to and from shore, communication between ships, scout out soundings for anchorage, or convey water or provisions. The Persephone and ships like her would typically carry one in addition to a yawl or a launch on what was consider the spar deck. In times of action though they were generally put over the side and towed astern. If you've seen the movie Master and Commander you can see in the first part of the movie both the Surprise and Acheron with their boats astern.

If someone would like to make a script to launch the boat from the ship, tow it or bring it aboard send me a PM!

1715_pinnace%201.jpg

1715_pinnace%202.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love this mod even more now, just because you're someone else who has seen Master and Commander.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 5:41 AM, HazardousJay said:

she's quite a beaut!

just a curious question, will the pinnace have FFV functions?

As you can imagine loading a full length musket, much less a sea service musket, in a boat was quite a task.  Never the less, they often fired pistols and blunderbusses from boats so yes, the pinnace will have FFV.  It would also be an important feature when assaulting an enemy ship by boat.  You can also walk around on the boat while it's moving.  Just last night I boarded the boat on Altis' beaches, rowed out to the Persephone, climbed up her side gangway and onto the deck of the ship without dipping my toes in water ;)

On 10/17/2017 at 5:45 AM, ineptaphid said:

WoW! Never saw this mod before-it's amazing!

Hmmm...seems I need to do more to spread the word.

On 10/17/2017 at 12:46 PM, REFORGER88 said:

I love this mod even more now, just because you're someone else who has seen Master and Commander.

Master and Commander is one of my favorite movies.  I've research a few things in the movie and it's actually very accurate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, domokun said:

@Delta Hawk Maybe @feint can help you with a script to tow your pinnance?

After all he's the author of the very excellent Paddle Mod as well as the Sailing Mod

Feint is pretty busy.  I'm not sure if he has time to help with my boat.  The long distance goal is to have players both row the boat and rig the masts to sail the boat.  I feel like I'm understating the role the boat plays in my ultimate goal of making a multiplayer modification.  The typical boat, whether it's a canoe, pirogue, gig, pinnace or the longboat, is very much the starting point of any adventure, especially the pirogue.

Not to go off on a tangent about how important boats are (which I will)

Spoiler

but some of the most famous pirates started off with canoes and pirogues.  On April 4, 1716, Henry Jennings and his armada of sloops, the flagship being the Bersheba, came across a large French merchant, the St. Marie, in a bay off the coast of Cuba.  Jennings had met Sam "Black Sam" Bellamy the previous day while he was looting another ship and agree to join in on the assault of the St. Marie.  Bellamy had two or three pirogues with his crew, which led the assault on the St. Marie.  Bellamy's crew in the pirogues was naked with baldrics of pistols and cutlasses screaming and yelling like savage, wild men as they approach the St. Marie.  The crew of the St. Marie was half terrified and half confused, nevertheless, Jennings and Bellamy were successful in their assault and took the St Marie, and while plundering the St. Marie found out she had a consort, the Marianne.  But the world being small back then, the Marianne was already captured by Benjamin Hornigold, who had previously cross Jennings while looting the Spanish Plate Fleet of 1715 off the coast of Florida. 

The enraged and furious Jennings bent all of the Bersheba's sails in pursue of the fleeing Marianne and Hornigold, but the St. Marie which Sam Bellamy and his crew was aboard was a dull sailor and barely manage to weigh anchor by the time the Bersheba and the other sloops left the bay.  Bellamy and his crew seized the opportunity and presented their locks and cutlasses to the what little crew of Jennings was aboard the St. Marie and demanded they surrender the treasure aboard of her.  Bellamy conveyed the treasure onto their pirogues that were being towed by the St. Marie and sailed off into the wind.  Jennings was unsuccessful in capturing the Marianne and upon returning to the St. Marie was so enraged at Bellamy's treachery he cut what crew members of Bellamy that were still aboard the St. Marie into pieces and ordered the sloop Bellamy had captured the previous day burnt to the water line.  In all, more than 20 Frenchmen and Englishmen laid in pieces from Jenning's rage that day.

Bellamy in his pirogues managed to catch up to Hornigold's ships and Hornigold was so pleased at Bellamy's treachery he gave command of the Marianne to him.  This was a surprise to one of Hornigold's crew members as he believed he would get command of the Marianne.  The name of this crew member? 

Edward Teach...better known as Blackbeard.

1 hour ago, Corbinnator said:

@Delta Hawk Its looking amazing im sending my cowboys and Indians your way to FIGHT!!!! 

I already went on a tangent before but lets say a lot of Indians in the Caribbean, such as the Kuna, didn't like the "whiteman"...at all and they were very "passionate" in their hatred.  If you're interested you can read about François l'Olonnais who met up with a tribe of Kuna.  It didn't end well.

• Like 2