Standing on top of a fort and taking fire from a gunboat in the distance. Or maybe even go treasure hunting and find a small island, but u can't get in there - so u anchor ur ship and make ur way into island with the rowboats. On the Island u will meet tribes or even pirates! If I knew how to make maps, I would make the ultimate one just for this mod!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Oh no, it's been over a year since I've posted any progress.  My brother got me playing Ark again which is taking up some of my time but I'm still working on this project.  I've been working a little on the secret addition trying to make her move in the water.  I've also been working on the interior of my English Man-O-War.  Hopefully I'll be able to post some screen this weekend.

I was going to release an early alpha on New Years but certain developments have changed my plans, hopefully for the better.

• Like 4

ayyy, dont worry bout it, its your mod, take your time! its good to take occasional breaks every now and then.

just a question regarding how the ship will move, will it use the vanilla boat Physx or you gonna do some custom fiddling where wind direction and speed will affect how the ship sails/move? 

• Like 2

I really want to have it based on wind direction and speed, and heading.  This will obviously affect the speed of the ship, the maneuverability, list to the side and subjectability to hull and mast stress which could lead to damage, keeling over or de-masting.  It also greatly affects combat efficiency since the ship with the weather gage, meaning with the wind in her favor, can out maneuver an opposing ship.  Also depending on positioning a ship can use the listing to their advantage in combat such as a ship having greater range for her cannon on her weather side verses the opposing ship having her cannon on her lee side pointed into the ocean.  In these situation the ship with the most experienced captain will surely have the upper hand.

But I'm not a scripter, nor do I know anybody willing to take on such a task, so for now they move like normal ships, just really slowly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HazardousJay said:

ayyy, dont worry bout it, its your mod, take your time! its good to take occasional breaks every now and then.

just a question regarding how the ship will move, will it use the vanilla boat Physx or you gonna do some custom fiddling where wind direction and speed will affect how the ship sails/move? 

6 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

I really want to have it based on wind direction and speed, and heading.  This will obviously affect the speed of the ship, the maneuverability, list to the side and subjectability to hull and mast stress which could lead to damage, keeling over or de-masting.  It also greatly affects combat efficiency since the ship with the weather gage, meaning with the wind in her favor, can out maneuver an opposing ship.  Also depending on positioning a ship can use the listing to their advantage in combat such as a ship having greater range for her cannon on her weather side verses the opposing ship having her cannon on her lee side pointed into the ocean.  In these situation the ship with the most experienced captain will surely have the upper hand.

But I'm not a scripter, nor do I know anybody willing to take on such a task, so for now they move like normal ships, just really slowly.

Mr. Hawk why not try getting in touch with Feint; the guy whose made the RQ-11 Drone & more recently the shark mod, Because he has a sailing mod done and posted (See Link)  maybe he can share some scripts from that mod??? 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892308157&searchtext=sail+mod

• Like 2

On 11/14/2017 at 11:26 PM, Digger James said:

Mr. Hawk why not try getting in touch with Feint; the guy whose made the RQ-11 Drone & more recently the shark mod, Because he has a sailing mod done and posted (See Link)  maybe he can share some scripts from that mod??? 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892308157&searchtext=sail+mod

Unless something's changed recently, Delta-Hawk is already aware of Feint's impressive work...

7 minutes ago, domokun said:

-snip-

OOhh... didn't see that post so nvm mind, but in hindsight; redundant statment, yes, was  I just trying to help and speard mod knowledge, also true, LOL :don11:GLORY TO HIS MAJESTY'S EMPIRE!!! Now I'd heading back to Kokoda since it's 1942 for me and kill me some monkey faced Tojo! DAHAHAHAHAA~!!!

• Like 1

Wow its beautiful my god all the recent additions to future navy assets being added just makes me love this community! cant wait to see her in action on the relatively high seas of arma

• Like 1

It's been too long since I've posted an update, so today it's going to be something special. There's still a lot that's work in progress, but let me take you inside of a galley frigate, the HMS Persephone!

The quarter deck, looking aft, was where the helm was located along with the binnacle which held the navigation equipment. This quarter deck has four swivel guns, but some frigates had as many as eight swivel guns and even six four-pounder cannon.

Persephone_16.jpg

The gun deck looking forward was where most of the cannon were situated and stowed. The Persephone and other galley frigates like her carried a complement of 20 cannon, typically six-pounders. Numerous swivel guns along the gun deck bulwark was common.

Persephone_15.jpg

The gun deck also had a defacto spar deck, where extra spars where stowed, which acted as a cradle for the ship's boats. Ships like the Persephone carried about two boats, a longboat or pinnace and a yawl or a gig.

Persephone_14.jpg

The foc'sle (forecastle for you land lubbers) was armed with two or four swivel guns and on some ships two bow chasers, typically long 9's which were lengthened nine-pounders made for range. The ship's bell was usually situated on the foc'sle.

Persephone_11.jpg

On the berth deck things got uncomfortable for the common sailor. Looking forward you can see the manger, where animals were stowed. Here you can also see the riding bitts, galley flue and anchor cables. Along the whole length of the ship's hull were sweep ports, where large rolling oars where positioned to aid in movement during unfavorable winds, much like galleys...hence the term, "galley frigate".

Persephone_10.jpg

Looking aft on the berth deck you can see the area where 150 sailors lived and shared. At night each man was allotted 18 inches for his hammock but they were generally too tired and worn out to care. During the day eight sailors where seated at each table. There was grating to allow for the circulation of air, but it did very little. The berth deck was generally hot, humid and stuffy. The pungent stench of urine, ammonia, body odor, feces and stale salt water, along with the rocking of the waves, was enough to make even the strong stomach nauseated. The only reason why sailors weren't puking all day was they barely had food to eat, which usually consisted of moldy, stale bread and dry, salted pork, both ridden with weevils and maggots. The only thing that made life bearable was a mixture of slimy water and rum called grog. A sailor's life was so uncomfortable only certain military personnel could possible begin to imagine what it was like on an 18th century Man-O-War.

Persephone_09.jpg

Going beyond the canvas covered wooden frames we'll find the area where junior officers were berthed. You'll also find the bottom of the capstan, which was used to purchase the messenger cable which pulled up the anchor cable from the sea bed.

Persephone_07.jpg

Past the deal panel bulkhead was the wardroom, where the senior officers, Martime Regiment of Foot captain and surgeon where berthed in tiny canvas cabins that could easily be taken apart in times of action. The wardroom was also where the officers would have their meals at the wardroom table. They would have to be careful not to bump their heads on the tiller. There was also two cannon stowed here, typically long 9's, designated as stern chasers.

Persephone_06.jpg

Going up the forward companion way back to the gun deck you'll see the top of the capstan and the deal panel bulkhead for the great cabin, which would be removed during times of action.

Persephone_04.jpg

Going through the doors you'll either find the captain's bed cabin or the coach cabin, where he would sleep in a rigid bed hanging from the above deck beams. This rigid bed conveniently would also serve as his coffin.

Persephone_03.jpg

And beyond that is the Captain's day cabin where he had his meals and his own personal latrine in the quarter galley. He also enjoyed the fresh ocean breeze through the light ports and stern galley windows while he drank his fine wines and gin.

Persephone_01.jpg

A captain's life aboard an 18th century Man-O-War or even a merchant ship was a stark contrast to the common sailor's life. The common sailor was usually paid low wages, if any at all. They were strictly discipline for the slightest infraction or disobedience. Few were even whipped about deck like manged dogs and beaten for the pleasure of the captain, owner or officers. This typically bred resentment and discontent among the crew. Most sailors served aboard ships in the 18th century in an honest service, hoping that they may become respectful and wealthy men some day. Some sailors, however, saw there was no future in an honest service and decided to make their wealth one way...or another.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful man just absolutely beautiful! as a sailor my self (only small racing craft boats like a Club 420 and such) it is great to see such a wonderful tallship come to fruition in arma

• Like 1

18th century sailing ships aren't really my thing, but this looks really nice. You can tell a lot of research and effort went into it. Good job! :drinking2:

• Like 1

Amazing  :)  Hope this will make it also into the next Arma game ( which will I guess support a lot more game mechanics like melee )

cheers

On 12/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, Laqueesha said:

18th century sailing ships aren't really my thing, but this looks really nice. You can tell a lot of research and effort went into it. Good job! :drinking2:

To be honest I wasn't that interested when I started this project years ago.  I was more interested in the romance of a sailing ship and decided to make a 3d model as a side project, but then I began to learn more about ships, like how a 200 ton anchor was pulled up from the sea bed.  Then I began to learn about the Golden Age of Piracy and I was much surprise by the true story and how much it differed from the cliched stories we're use to seeing as children.  In fact I found the true story so compelling, not only as a piece of history but a reflection of modern day society, politics and economic struggles, that I now understand how these stories have survived for so long and will continue being told for centuries, even millennia to come.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:46 AM, Private Evans said:

Amazing  :)  Hope this will make it also into the next Arma game ( which will I guess support a lot more game mechanics like melee )

cheers

I'm sure the next game will have a lot of great features, but I'm not very optimistic how much it'll benefit or be applicable my project.  Hopefully BIS will make it easy to adapt new features to applications not necessarily specific to the modern warfare genre.

• Like 2

This is looking incredible! For me it's the most exciting addon currently in development, can't wait to play with it.

There are many interesting remains of the golden age of piracy you mention in my neck of the woods, Bristol UK. Just let me know if you need to add photogrammetry of period docks and buildings to your project...your ship may well have docked up near this pub round the corner to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandoger_Trow 

• Like 1

That's a really interesting place.  I would love to have a beer (or two) there.  Parts of England would be a great backdrop for many of the reasons and events that eventually led to the Golden Age of Piracy but I don't have many resources to make those locations.  I don't really have anyone to make the West Indies either, so if anyone wants to take up that challenge please let me know.

• Like 1

Happy New Years Everyone!

It has been another exciting year. So much has happened since I've announced this project a year ago to this date. I started out with nothing more than a half finished galley frigate, the H.M.S. Persephone but to be honest this project was obviously much more than just one ship. Rather it is a proof of concept of features and assets, called Nassau 1715.

Nassau 1715 focuses on the social, power and economic struggles that occurred in the West Indies in the early 18th Century, forgoing the stereotypical cliche of the genre and instead telling the true story of history's most notorious and barbaric criminals who plundered the seas and the bold men who hunted them down. I still don't know if I'll make a mod because there's still a lot to do but if anybody wants to help out send me a PM. I guess I'll keep working on this and see what happens. But now, it's hard to look at everything in this project in one glance!

Bloodwyn has made a mod, WMO - Walkable Moving Objects, where it's possible to walk on moving objects, which is critical for my project. He has been adapting it for walking on moving 18th century ships. More tests and work are needed, but it shows very promising, even in a multiplayer environment. Regardless though of how it turns out, I cannot illustrate with words how amazing Bloodwyn's work has been. He has also experiment with something just as critical that has eluded me for so long. More news to come later ;)

I've also made several uniform and weapon items, centered around early 18th century English soldiers. I easily adjusted these items to create this, a sailor of a questionable moral disposition and profession. He more than likely has sailed to India for the trade, stepped on the sands of the Arabia, took in water in Madagascar perhaps also looking for the abandon crew of Henry Avery, sailed around the Cape of Africa, and served on board a merchant in the Triangle Trade and then finally taking up the piratical account in the West Indies.

1715_pirate1.jpg

Lastly I have one more announcement. I have hinted at a new, major addition to my project a couple times previously and seeing how I started last year announcing a new ship I think it's only appropriate today to announce another new ship, the Sloop! I want to thank philipjn from the Pirates Ahoy Community who was so kind to donate the base model for this project. Pirates and privateers in reality mostly used Sloops, which were fast ships being able to beat and tack against the wind closer than a square rigged ship like the Persephone, were generally well armed carrying up to 14 cannon and 12 swivel guns and had a shallow draught allowing them to pass over sand bars where the English Men-O-War were not able to. A typical multiplayer crew would be about 4 - 10 players, making the sloop the go to vessel for players. In particular, I would like to announce the Sloops: Corvus, Buck, Albas, Corsica, Revenge/Royal James (Stede Bonnect, Master), Ranger (Charles Vane, Master), Swift Fortune, Antelope, Swordfish, Henry and Sea Nymph (William Rhett, Commander), Bersheba (Henry Jennings, Master), William (John "Calico Jack" Rackham, Master), Ranger and Jane (Robert Maynard, Commander) and the Adventure (Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, Master).  Some of these sloops were real, some are fictional.

1715_sloop.jpg

It has been an exciting year and I have no doubt 2018 will even be more exciting!  There's still a lot to do though.  Most of the hard stuff is functional, but there's still missions, buildings, objects, other ships, gear and clothing, weapons and animations that need to be made.  If you would like to help out just send me a PM.  Even if it's small like creating a config file for a pistol or creating a 5th Rate English Man-O-War any help would be appreciated!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

On 01/01/2018 at 8:34 PM, Delta Hawk said:

Happy New Years Everyone!

It has been another exciting year. So much has happened since I've announced this project a year ago to this date. I started out with nothing more than a half finished galley frigate, the H.M.S. Persephone but to be honest this project was obviously much more than just one ship. Rather it is a proof of concept of features and assets, called Nassau 1715.

Nassau 1715 focuses on the social, power and economic struggles that occurred in the West Indies in the early 18th Century, forgoing the stereotypical cliche of the genre and instead telling the true story of history's most notorious and barbaric criminals who plundered the seas and the bold men who hunted them down. I still don't know if I'll make a mod because there's still a lot to do but if anybody wants to help out send me a PM. I guess I'll keep working on this and see what happens. But now, it's hard to look at everything in this project in one glance!

Bloodwyn has made a mod, WMO - Walkable Moving Objects, where it's possible to walk on moving objects, which is critical for my project. He has been adapting it for walking on moving 18th century ships. More tests and work are needed, but it shows very promising, even in a multiplayer environment. Regardless though of how it turns out, I cannot illustrate with words how amazing Bloodwyn's work has been. He has also experiment with something just as critical that has eluded me for so long. More news to come later ;)

I've also made several uniform and weapon items, centered around early 18th century English soldiers. I easily adjusted these items to create this, a sailor of a questionable moral disposition and profession. He more than likely has sailed to India for the trade, stepped on the sands of the Arabia, took in water in Madagascar perhaps also looking for the abandon crew of Henry Avery, sailed around the Cape of Africa, and served on board a merchant in the Triangle Trade and then finally taking up the piratical account in the West Indies.

I also want to show you what DeanosBeano has been working on, a functional horse for ArmA! Horses were brought over to the New World by the Spanish in the 1500s and would enable players to explore islands, travel to remote destinations and add gameplay elements to the land where players can interact with AI for missions, trade and quests.  I am continuously amazed at the ingenuity and determination of the community's modders pushing past the limitations of ArmA.  Just looking at everything in this project often makes me forget I'm even playing ArmA.

Lastly I have one more announcement. I have hinted at a new, major addition to my project a couple times previously and seeing how I started last year announcing a new ship I think it's only appropriate today to announce another new ship, the Sloop! I want to thank philipjn from the Pirates Ahoy Community who was so kind to donate the base model for this project. Pirates and privateers in reality mostly used Sloops, which were fast ships being able to beat and tack against the wind closer than a square rigged ship like the Persephone, were generally well armed carrying up to 14 cannon and 12 swivel guns and had a shallow draught allowing them to pass over sand bars where the English Men-O-War were not able to. A typical multiplayer crew would be about 4 - 10 players, making the sloop the go to vessel for players. In particular, I would like to announce the Sloops: Corvus, Buck, Albas, Corsica, Revenge/Royal James (Stede Bonnect, Master), Ranger (Charles Vane, Master), Swift Fortune, Antelope, Swordfish, Henry and Sea Nymph (William Rhett, Commander), Bersheba (Henry Jennings, Master), William (John "Calico Jack" Rackham, Master), Ranger and Jane (Robert Maynard, Commander) and the Adventure (Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, Master).  Some of these sloops were real, some are fictional.

It has been an exciting year and I have no doubt 2018 will even be more exciting!  There's still a lot to do though.  Most of the hard stuff is functional, but there's still missions, buildings, objects, other ships, gear and clothing, weapons and animations that need to be made.  If you would like to help out just send me a PM.  Even if it's small like creating a config file for a pistol or creating a 5th Rate English Man-O-War any help would be appreciated!

Missions's Oh my god, i'm ya gal if ya need help with missions i love making detailed missions just for fun anyways i'd be honored to help 

Edited by R0adki11
removed quoted images and videos as per forum rules.
  • Like 3

I just found this and it looks like the best mod for arma 3 ever, pls dont tell me i have to wait too long for it

• Like 1

Is is possible to download this mod somewhere? I might need it for a pirate themed movie  :D

• Like 1

Hey everyone!  Still working on this project.  I've done most of the rigging on the sloop now I'm just experimenting with textures.  Later I'll make damage textures and animate parts of the ship.  Pics to come later!  At some point I'll need someone to script a sail system.  If someone is willing I can give them a light version of the sloop.  PM for extra information!

Currently though I'm working on clothing.  Clothing is a huge aspect of this project that I've been avoiding :[   This is somewhat an exciting time because I have to switch sculpting programs.  Right now I'm in 3d Coat after playing around with Zbrush for a week.  Hopefully I can get a lot of clothing done before fall.

Oh, yea, I forgot.  I've also learned how to host a multiplayer game so hopefully soon I'll be able to get a lot of people on a game and stress test the ship and see how the game handles multiple people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just wanted to stop by and show you all this, the sloop Swift Fortune with a starboard tack.  I'm quite proud of how much better my sail texture making is compared to where I was a year ago seen on the Persephone in the background.  As you can see I've done a lot of rigging on her, added some 6 pounders and some swivel guns.  Notice her lee guns are quite useless as they're pointed into the ocean.  Tacticians take note.  Also sailing enthusiasts will notice her topsail isn't set for a starboard tack.  I'm currently in the process of animating her yards and sails.

A lot more work to do on the sloop though, more rigging, metal stuff, name placards .etc.

47A52BD867A6E59EA83311AFF50804F713412897

• Like 15