Hey guys, I just wanted to take a moment to share a little mod I've been working on for not too long, my Greek Armed Forces.

Now I wouldn't say this is a very accurate version of the modern day Greek Forces, but I had originally set out to create a present day AAF faction and wanted to pull from the real world location for inspiration. As a result, I essentially made some Greek forces. Using references photos from the websites below, I re-textured some of Delta Hawk's U.S. Military units and outfitted them with some of Robert Hammer's M16s and NIArms weapons. I'm fairly pleased with the result but I will add that this is far from a finished product and that its mainly a config file that makes a new faction from existing addons.

In the addons folder are some extra .PBOs for optional mods to add their content into the Greek Faction.

References:

http://greekmilitary.net/greektroops.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Hellenic_Army

Required Addons:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=30004

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183435-rhs-escalation-afrf-and-usaf/

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23277

http://credmo.updatedtuesdays.com/tier1/ (M60, MP5, G3, M14, FAL, MG3, AR15, Minimi LMGs)

Optional Addons:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26067 (T-6 Texan II)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27766 (F16)

http://cup-arma3.org/ (MTVR, UH-1 Huey)

Crappy Photos:

http://imgur.com/a/qX5bj

Download:

EDIT: sorry, didn't receive permission from Delta Hawk, was under the impression I could release an addon that builds on his.

I tried to keep the faction nomenclature consistent with RHS, and I made the groups using ALiVE's Orbat creator, so they should be ALiVE compatible.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me, this is the first addon I've ever released please keep that in mind. And lets just call it an alpha? Yeah sure lets go with that.

Version:

0.1 Alpha

Edited by matt_baker1942
I'm stupid
  • Like 1

First, congratulations on the release. The units look nice.

Second, did you get the permission from all the authors to retexture/use their work? Delta Hawk explicitly states in his readme that retextures are not allowed.

Readme:

Q: Can I retexture your addon/mod?
A: No, sorry.

Q: Can I have the unbinarized files?
A: Generally no.

Eula:

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

1. DO NOT OPEN AND/OR EXTRACT THE PBO.
2. DO NOT RETEXTURE.
3. DO NOT STEAL OR RIP MY MODELS OR TEXTURES.
4. DO NOT REQUIRE SUBSCRIPTIONS, REGISTRATION OR OTHER INTRUSIVE REQUIREMENTS OR ADDITIONS TO DOWNLOAD THIS MOD.
5. FOR USE ONLY IN ARMA 3 AND ARMA 3’S EXPANSIONS.
6. DO NOT USE FOR COMMERCIAL OR MILITARY TRAINING PURPOSES.
7. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have worked very hard on this mod for a couple of years, spending my personal time, money and effort, for nothing at all, to give to the ArmA community this mod.  Please respect my wishes.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fingolfin said:

First, congratulations on the release. The units look nice.

Second, did you get the permission from all the authors to retexture/use their work? Delta Hawk explicitly states in his readme that retextures are not allowed.

Readme:

Eula:

I had asked permission from DeltaHawk to retexture some of his stuff and he strictly said no. I highly doubt he got permission from him.

3 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

I had asked permission from DeltaHawk to retexture some of his stuff and he strictly said no. I highly doubt he got permission from him.

I too think it’s highly unlikely, but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fingolfin said:

I too think it’s highly unlikely, but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah let's see. DeltaHawk told me I had to buy his models if I want to atler them in any way.

I was under the impression that as long as I made it so my mod requires downloading his mod, it's completely okay. I'll remove the download link, my apologies because I did not get permission from him or anybody.

You could return to AAF uniforms. Their combat fatigues are pretty generic or you could perhaps try to retexture the Serbian M93 uniform in RHSGREF because its also a pretty generic BDU type uniform. Also the AAF vest is actually a vest used by Greek forces, though I'm not sure its super widespread, so you could use that. If you used the vanilla woodland tactical vest and scattered it across a few classes that could kind of give the impression of older gear. And the AAF have PASGT helmets like the Greeks but you could again retexture RHS LWH helmets, the older USMC helmets that are basically just PASGTs. I hope you figure something out because I have long hoped for a present-day Greek faction using RHS and HLC and this looks promising.

I have attempted making my own BDUs but they aren't as good as DeltaHawk's obviously and I have some gun models too so if you know how to get the models in game I can surely give them to you if you want them as long as you take good care of them :)

1 hour ago, wsxcgy said:

You could return to AAF uniforms. Their combat fatigues are pretty generic or you could perhaps try to retexture the Serbian M93 uniform in RHSGREF because its also a pretty generic BDU type uniform. Also the AAF vest is actually a vest used by Greek forces, though I'm not sure its super widespread, so you could use that. If you used the vanilla woodland tactical vest and scattered it across a few classes that could kind of give the impression of older gear. And the AAF have PASGT helmets like the Greeks but you could again retexture RHS LWH helmets, the older USMC helmets that are basically just PASGTs. I hope you figure something out because I have long hoped for a present-day Greek faction using RHS and HLC and this looks promising.

Yeah I think I just went with Delta Hawks gear because I was mainly shooting to use the harnesses insteam of actual body armor since it's what I saw in the photos. If they fit on another type of BDU model, it shouldn't be a problem because I didn't touch the texture on that at all. I also didn't mind the fact that it said "U.S." on it because I'm sure they'd be given to them that way.

1 hour ago, alex150201 said:

I have attempted making my own BDUs but they aren't as good as DeltaHawk's obviously and I have some gun models too so if you know how to get the models in game I can surely give them to you if you want them as long as you take good care of them :)

Yeah I'm gonna have to pull back and re-think how I can do this. My "skills" (if you want to call it that) really reside in configuration editing and less photoshop or any 3D software. And I was shooting for making this look somewhat high quality. I just saw the materials there to make the faction, and wanted to put them together. I have put models into the game before, but they were always from sources that weren't me and therefore I could never release them anywhere.

2 minutes ago, matt_baker1942 said:

Yeah I think I just went with Delta Hawks gear because I was mainly shooting to use the harnesses insteam of actual body armor since it's what I saw in the photos. If they fit on another type of BDU model, it shouldn't be a problem because I didn't touch the texture on that at all. I also didn't mind the fact that it said "U.S." on it because I'm sure they'd be given to them that way.

Yeah I'm gonna have to pull back and re-think how I can do this. My "skills" (if you want to call it that) really reside in configuration editing and less photoshop or any 3D software. And I was shooting for making this look somewhat high quality. I just saw the materials there to make the faction, and wanted to put them together. I have put models into the game before, but they were always from sources that weren't me and therefore I could never release them anywhere.

Well the models are mine and if you want I can give them to you to put in game. I can give all permissions! I would do it but I have no clue how and I have tried many times weighting them and stuff but never actually succeeded doing it. :(

As for some Greek vehicles, perhaps you could get in touch with the HAFM team and see if they'd be willing to let you use them/update them. I am not sure if they are still working on their mod, but there hasn't been an update from them in some time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Well the models are mine and if you want I can give them to you to put in game. I can give all permissions! I would do it but I have no clue how and I have tried many times weighting them and stuff but never actually succeeded doing it. :(

Yeah player models are tough, Ive only done it the quick and dirty way using the skin modifier in 3ds max, I could give it a try, but I'm usually slammed in time and I'll be honest, i don't know how far I'd get haha.

5 minutes ago, Red Partisan said:

As for some Greek vehicles, perhaps you could get in touch with the HAFM team and see if they'd be willing to let you use them/update them. I am not sure if they are still working on their mod, but there hasn't been an update from them in some time.

I would, but RHS and CUP already have most of the vehicles you'd need. I'd stick with them because their stuff is pretty high quality. Leaving only me retexturing them to screw it up haha

So is it possible at this point to close the thread or maybe have it moved out of the complete area? Again my apologies for screwing this whole thing up

3 hours ago, matt_baker1942 said:

I could try to make some of said retextures I suggested, and you can decide if you wanna use them. I can play around with the RHS M93 and LWH, and the AAF vest textures some time in the next couple days and share. I'm definitely not the greatest at it but I'd say I'm certainly not the worst, hopefully they'll live up to your standards. 

14 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

I could try to make some of said retextures I suggested, and you can decide if you wanna use them. I can play around with the RHS M93 and LWH, and the AAF vest textures some time in the next couple days and share. I'm definitely not the greatest at it but I'd say I'm certainly not the worst, hopefully they'll live up to your standards. 

No that won't be necessary, I'll see what I can do with the AAF vest and some sort of BDU replacement. In the meantime I can try to upload the file again this time without any custom textures on the unforms right? that way it doesn't break any of Delta Hawk's wishes and people can still get a look at the structure of the units minus the cosmetic stuff. I'll leave that up to you guys.

• Like 1

Just now, matt_baker1942 said:

No that won't be necessary, I'll see what I can do with the AAF vest and some sort of BDU replacement. In the meantime I can try to upload the file again this time without any custom textures on the unforms right? that way it doesn't break any of Delta Hawk's wishes and people can still get a look at the structure of the units minus the cosmetic stuff. I'll leave that up to you guys.

Alrighty man, sounds good. Now that I've got my mind on it I still gotta try for myself haha but good luck on your own endeavors.

• Like 1

Here's my crappy proof-of-concept. The textures are poorly applied and the pattern's colors are pretty far off because I didn't spend very much time, because like I said, it was more of a quick and poorly executed test. Hope I'm not hijacking your thread haha. I hope you look into this option, I think it could turn out good if done well. You were right though, most Greek forces appear to use load bearing equipment rather than vests, a retexture of the CSAT LBV could probably do the trick while guys high priority guys like officers, squad leaders, and special forces get the vest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

Here's my crappy proof-of-concept. The textures are poorly applied and the pattern's colors are pretty far off because I didn't spend very much time, because like I said, it was more of a quick and poorly executed test. Hope I'm not hijacking your thread haha. I hope you look into this option, I think it could turn out good if done well. You were right though, most Greek forces appear to use load bearing equipment rather than vests, a retexture of the CSAT LBV could probably do the trick while guys high priority guys like officers, squad leaders, and special forces get the vest.

Nah you did a pretty good job. The vest still bothers me though :D

This are the vests we actually use:

post-9511-1277062715.jpg

and then we just put something like this above this one:

ae3f11e8255b454914e44facfe4e673a.jpg

We basically wear and have everything your army had in the 80's and 90's that's why DeltaHawk's mod goes so good with it and as much as I'd like to retexture his stuff, get some weapons to go with it like Toadiek's G3s and G36s we have a pretty good and accurate represenation. But DeltaHawk doesn't agree with anyone requestiing to retexture his stuff. :(