5 minutes ago, 4Chains said:

Fair enough. I will take this into account. Thanks for the input.

Benzopila is a based on a rural village, so I've typed "Ukrainian Village House" into google and the first page seems to be full of these houses. 

While trying to use only enter able buildings I am quite limited on this project as to what content I have to use. This project is a one-dude show and
so I was trying to avoid having to learn custom content creation, something I have little knowledge in. My next project will introduce custom buildings
if I can find some other team mates.

Could you provide an example of a street of houses that are what you would call "Modern Village" housing? This would be a great help.

Thanks.

Im living in a town,which... 'merged' into itself a few villages.Probably makes sence to go there this weekend and take some photos.

I can't say it's fully match village type,but it's close enough to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pan Samogon said:

Im living in a town,which... 'merged' into itself a few villages.Probably makes sence to go there this weekend and take some photos.

I can't say it's fully match village type,but it's close enough to it.

I'd really appreciate any photo's you could provide! Google street view seems to only be available on highways in most of the country. 

oh yeah,I google maps...

So,first one is average village inside town.Slightly diffirent,but you probably can imagine worse quality of road and smaller fences.Average village have 1-3 of such 'roads'.Shape of them usually random.

https://www.google.ru/maps/@56.3104412,44.0382312,3a,75y,142.93h,72.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stegyQWVZiL9c19W1CD90Ig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=ru&authuser=0

Another element of some villages is a pre-soviet church... or it's much often it's wrecks.

Actually village which doesn't have church called "Derevnya" in Russian Language and those,which have it is "Selo".

http://swalker.org/uploads/posts/2015-02/1424789359_swalker.org_cam00113.jpg

82776.jpg

• Like 2

Having it accurate to terrain and building placement and vegetation is a good thing, but to make it truly accurate for 1:1 you are going to find it hard to recreate the area you are working on with limited skills.

1:1 can mean one of two things, scale, or accuracy. Accuracy means EVERYTHING, from the exact placement of every bush and tree to the look and style of the buildgins you use.  Map making does involve artistic license, but it depends on how far you want to take that license to make it your own, and, how much effort you are willing to put in to make accurate.

Making Benghazi for me, I have had to adopt a lot of artistic license for the map, not only because the place is so fecking huge but I just don't have the skills to replicate every building there might be in the city. I intend to put in some major map specific buildings for Benghazi, like the Tibisti hotel, and the Green Office ( a teepee looking building) and the catholic church on the water front, I already have a WIP build of the lighthouse. But I don't intend to place buildings in the exact location they should be on the map. I suppose making a city is slightly different to making a rural area, but there are some rural areas in my map too, that I need to look at carefully to make it feel right. I've contemplated using the village buidlings for Takistan in these areas but I know that geographically they might not sit right. Thats where your artistic license comes in and you have to make a decision on what you want to do for the realism of the map. 

I think the key is to catch the feel and essence of the location you are recreating. I have had test games on Benghazi with friends and each one has said it feels just like a city should, intimidating highrises, narrow streets, lurking alleyways, blind corners etc, fighting in a built up area is scary enough in real life, and its just as scary in game. 

Like I said if you capture the feel and essence you are on to a winner. 

• Like 4

So,I get back to my home,so continue...

It's gonna be long post,but I'll try to explain how it's should look like typical village.Actually almost nothing changes since even since Russian Empire(Note:Ukraine was part of Russian Empire,as well as Baltic countries,part of Poland and Finland).

Spoiler

territory_growth.png

Literally,changed building materials.

So,usual village devided into small lot,located near the road.It's not a perfect square,usually it's rectangle(Smaller rib on the road) or shape depends on terrain.Lots devide by small fences.

The main living building called "Khata",usually they're builded in traditional style even today.Inside they're separated into 2 spaces - heated living rooms and non-heated entrance room(always exist) and sometimes storage,utility rooms,garage,toilet,living space for animals such as chicken,cows,pig.

I've posted photos earlier,so I skip examples.

This lot also usully have a bathhouse called "Banya",It share same conception - they have cold entrance and hell's ovenspace for washing.The photo I just posted is the most traditional way of preparing Banya,aka "The Black Way"."The White way" - smoke just leave the tube and bath just heating up.It's located in the deepest corner of the lot.

Spoiler

ith2014_estonia_08528.jpg

traditsionnaya-russkaya-banya-v-protsess

The lot itself have a lot of space around.It's used for growning fruits,vegetables and flowers.Flowers usually grownup in front of the house,also they're also can be some trees,like appletree,peartree,cherry,plum,grape well,literally everything beatiful-look things.

134111_original.jpg

Another notable buildings which can be there is a various greenhouses

EBKXQf_vn20.jpg

45iii.jpg

And small inventory storages.

Sarai_1.jpg

Part 2: comming soon.

• Like 3

Part 2:

I've described probably everything about houses and ground around it.So now,the village itself in general.

The main building of the villages.

1)Church.In Imperial Russia it was a pride and joy of local village owner.Some of them been builded even 400 years ago... and it's still stays.Yeah,ancient bricks was far much better than modern,sad but true.Since in 1917 Bolsheviks start rule the country,they starts destroy churches,cuz they was atheistic.A lot of them was just abandoned,but not destroyed.
So literally a lot of villages have such wrecks.If village doesnt't have it - it was never ever been there.

2)Local Village Club house.In USSR it had mostly propoganda purposes.Today it's place where people can talk to eachother,play tablegames,dance etc etc.Sometimes they even have local scene or Cinema.Nothing too special.As examle - small club under spoiler below.

Spoiler

10613362.jpg

3)Village Primary School.Big villages have this building.Can't really even show somtheing,cuz it's too various.

4)Farming houses,hangars,elevators,mills(Industrial,not windmills),lumberjacks and other farming constructions.You may see some in Chernorussia.Things from BIS Chernorussia will be enough for this I think.

Tried my best in such huge text,so hope you still understand me,cuz English isn't my strong side.

• Like 2

Don't trust the Pan Samogon! He don't telling the truth about 1 floor houses!))) The wooden houses he showed are very rare in Ukraine. Most of such structures were built from coquina(?) blocks. http://imgur.com/a/jJ753

If u interested i can send you some picts so u can use it for retexturing for example stratis buildings.(http://imgur.com/a/x68wy) Where Pan is right is that such buildings you placed on the map quit to exist in 50th!)))

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rayko said:

Don't trust the Pan Samogon! He don't telling the truth about 1 floor houses!))) The wooden houses he showed are very rare in Ukraine. Most of such structures were built from coquina(?) blocks. http://imgur.com/a/jJ753

If u interested i can send you some picts so u can use it for retexturing for example stratis buildings.(http://imgur.com/a/x68wy) Where Pan is right is that such buildings you placed on the map quit to exist in 50th!)))

Well,both true and not.Brick houses are also common even in Russia,but I had lack of attention to it while writing this.But still - the villages should be around the same.Here is an example of brick house.Construction are about same as wooden but made of bricks.

rd_90.jpg

dom-sovetskaya-ulica-selo-motovilovo-oto

And as example I telling truth is this ruined Donbass villages house,which have about same construction.

Spoiler

1407704378_10476342_844671745543633_7501

1419345222_12.png

1016017072.jpg

And now the author of this map start thinking: what does this ruskies want from me? To get 3dmax and start building a house?!?!)))

I understand that to create a map and to create a building - it's two big differences!)) I hate the buildings from chernopuss but they will look more better than from IF...

5 minutes ago, Rayko said:

And now the author of this map start thinking: what does this ruskies want from me? To get 3dmax and start building a house?!?!)))

I understand that to create a map and to create a building - it's two big differences!)) I hate the buildings from chernopuss but they will look more better than from IF...

Just read OP posts above precisely,mr.Chukcha... :don9:

And...

chukcha-ne-chitatel-chukcha-pisatel_1127

7 hours ago, Pan Samogon said:

Just read OP posts above precisely,mr.Chukcha... :don9:

As i understand the author request a photos of village streetview to know how to place the buildings he already have. As he said before he will create a completely new buildings in his next project. We start to discuss a types of buildings which are not in present arma content - so that is why i wrote that the map creator could think that in our two previous posts we were somekind requesting to make such structures.)) But anyway it was some kind of joke! :dummy:

I wouldn't start changing this too much, I thought it looked pretty good as it was.

• Like 9

He probably can only work with stuff that ArmA offers anyway. 

• Like 1

It does weigh heavy on me that I can't pull off a like for like realness of Ukraine. I appreciate all the input. I'm going to continue on as is. If people are actually interested in modeling these buildings then I would do everything I could to support them but it's a very niche project and I highly doubt I'll find someone who would. 

• Like 6

Regardless of the genuinity, the terrain has great atmosphere and it is utterly beautiful and cunningly crafted. Don't worry about it my guy.

• Like 8

Agreed, I think it looks absolutely amazing so far, I wouldn't change a thing

5 hours ago, 4Chains said:

It does weigh heavy on me that I can't pull off a like for like realness of Ukraine. I appreciate all the input. I'm going to continue on as is. If people are actually interested in modeling these buildings then I would do everything I could to support them but it's a very niche project and I highly doubt I'll find someone who would. 

The lack of custom buildings  is sadly the biggest problem when it comes to specail themed terrains.

Anyway, keep up with the amazing work, it looks beautifull!

Didn't someone release some enterable cherno buildings? 

Found the link. 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31819

Maybe using some of them will get you closer to your vision. But i think we all agree ya doing a fantastic job so far.

Edited by spookygnu
Link for mod

Took a break today and spent it having my first dabble in 3ds Max. It's very overwhelming but you tube is gold in this situation. Here's my first bang out of a ukrainian/russian apartment building (a corner of it at least). I thought maybe if I make it in segments and have the apartments work like Lego that maybe I could get a lot more out of my work aka make various heights and lengths of apartments when map making. Early days I guess. Anyone got the bible on custom buildings for ARMA 3? Peace.

b4ac6d1385ab971ca360b61a305dc77d.png

• Like 13

Thats a good way of thinking dude. I thought the same thing about our custom builds for rso. But you can proxy stuff together aswell. So maybe do the rooms as a proxy to save on the face limitation. Or you could have one or two floors accessible.

Modularity is a very good idea. Soviet apartment blocks all look the same, except for dimensions. :) So if you can put together a "Soviet building kit", it might end up seeing a lot of use among the authors of terrains like that.

only downside to this is (although achievable if well thought out) is ai pathing.

• Like 1

Hey,

There's a lot of good ideas here.

I just can't wait to being able to test this map ingame.

It's clearly the kind of terrain that can be used for multiple types of scenarios, combat, exploration, stealth...

Using a Ghillie Suit and hide in the vegetation can get some real nice infiltration moments :f:

• Like 1