Kalle M.

1988 - Red Star Rises version 1.1

This is the second version of my OFP campaign 1988 - Red Star Rises.

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/33k1wtzc11cek52/%401988.zip

Arma: Cold War Assault version 1.99

Campaign: 1988 - Red Star Rises
Version: 1.1
Author: Kalle
Required addons: Editorupgrade103 by Mikero (included)
Islands: Everon, Kolgujev
Playable options: Singleplayer
Playable characters: 3
Missions: 19
Language: English

1988, Everon

"Michael Ferodov, a former resistance fighter is having a peaceful morning. Suddendly he's ordered to return to his army reserve unit. He and his teamleader, Miroslav Hodek travel to their platoon and they will begin refresher trainings. Next morning something terrible happens and they must fight for survival and freedom".

Features: Infantry combat, UAZ driving behind enemy lines, one gunship mission, several US black ops missions, drama and rescue mission. Fully English supported, unfortunately no voiceacting, lots of intros and outros, briefings, radio chatters.

This is a story-driven campaign!

TheNinjaStalker made a video where he plays my campaign:

IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET, THEN DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO!

Edited by Calman13
Update
  • Like 5

Positive feedback and comments are appreciated! I hope you people are still interested about these campaigns and this game though it's 2016!

• Like 1

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Calman13 said:

So, I've had problems with publishing my campaign which I have just completed. I decided to create a basic topic and here I will share the link to my mediafire page where you can download the campaign itself. Please test it!

https://www.mediafire.com/?33k1wtzc11cek52

Arma: Cold War Assault version 1.99

Campaign: 1988 - Red Star Rises
Version: 1.0
Author: Kalle
Required addons: Editorupgrade103 by Mikero (included)
Islands: Everon, Kolgujev
Playable options: Singleplayer
Playable characters: 3
Missions: 19
Language: English

This is a story-driven campaign!

TheNinjaStalker made a video where he plays my campaign:

IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET, THEN DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO!

Has anyone played this yet? Just wondering.

54 minutes ago, foxlauncher said:

I'm sorry I'm sorry, but what about the story of the campaign?

I can only say, that a guy goes tp army reserve training and soviets attack, you can find everything in the readme.txt file, it's good. Go and try it! :)

So far I've played until 04: Retreat is about to start.

I like the intro, a good story but not too complicated.

The build up to the first action is good, the training and the tension as I was constantly looking around for threats.

After running from the beach the team leader stopped about 100m from the base and wouldn't move. There was no waypoint to show what I needed to do, the team leader would have stayed there until he was killed. I ran to the base on my own and the mission ended. So a little bit unclear or the waypoint of the leader didn't go far enough to trigger the end of the mission?

Liking it so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JdB said:

So far I've played until 04: Retreat is about to start.

I like the intro, a good story but not too complicated.

The build up to the first action is good, the training and the tension as I was constantly looking around for threats.

After running from the beach the team leader stopped about 100m from the base and wouldn't move. There was no waypoint to show what I needed to do, the team leader would have stayed there until he was killed. I ran to the base on my own and the mission ended. So a little bit unclear or the waypoint of the leader didn't go far enough to trigger the end of the mission?

Liking it so far.

Hey, thanks for the comment! I thought Hodek would go to the base, but the point is, that atleast Ferodov would return to base. I think it's not a serious problem. I'm so glad you have enjoyed the campaign! :)

1 hour ago, prototype1479 said:

Some one should make MP version of this!

That would be a good idea. Did you play it through?

Just started on mission 06. I see you've used standard loadouts a lot, and how BIS set up the standard loadouts has always annoyed me about OFP. 4 magazines and 6 hand grenades makes no sense when it means only carrying 120 rounds of ammunition.

Mission 04 is a little too easy in my opinion. Maybe add some Soviet infantry to go along with the tanks.

Spoiler

Nice flanking move they tried though :f:

Nice that you used the T-55 a little, really used too little in the original game. In 1985 around 50% of the Soviet tanks in Europe was a T-55, in the conflict in 1985 on a remote island that percentage would have been even higher.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JdB said:

Just started on mission 06. I see you've used standard loadouts a lot, and how BIS set up the standard loadouts has always annoyed me about OFP. 4 magazines and 6 hand grenades makes no sense when it means only carrying 120 rounds of ammunition.

Mission 04 is a little too easy in my opinion. Maybe add some Soviet infantry to go along with the tanks.

Reveal hidden contents

Nice flanking move they tried though :f:

Nice that you used the T-55 a little, really used too little in the original game. In 1985 around 50% of the Soviet tanks in Europe was a T-55, in the conflict in 1985 on a remote island that percentage would have been even higher.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I totally agree with you, six grenades and four mags? Wtf? It makes no sense. I will keep that in mind when I'm working on my sequel project. Honestly I didn't want to spend time on that, I only wanted the player to have an AK47 instead of AK47 Cz. I also agree with the fourth mission, not much infantry, some tanks. I've been thinking that I won't release a new version, but I will make the sequel much better, like I will spend more time on the missions and I'll try to make it better.

• Like 1

I gave it a try and man... In terms of atmosphere OFP still is fantastic! Great campaign, I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Simple, straight forward and using the advantages and strength of OFP very well. Combined warfare, stealth missions, very recommendable.

I just played 8: Infiltrator and... Hehe that looked quite familiar.

Spoiler

Disguise as Russian and kill an officer in a bar, equipped with a silenced pistol. :don11:

:D

Great job so far, Calman!

Edit:

I agree with JdB, Hodek didn't return to the base but stopped 100 m before it and I spent 5 minutes waiting before moving on myself.

As a motivated and obedient soldier I sticked to my SL so maybe you should make that part clearer to the player (maybe Hodek gives a new order or so).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Undeceived said:

I gave it a try and man... In terms of atmosphere OFP still is fantastic! Great campaign, I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Simple, straight forward and using the advantages and strength of OFP very well. Combined warfare, stealth missions, very recommendable.

I just played 8: Infiltrator and... Hehe that looked quite familiar.

Reveal hidden contents

Disguise as Russian and kill an officer in a bar, equipped with a silenced pistol. :don11:

:D

Great job so far, Calman!

Edit:

I agree with JdB, Hodek didn't return to the base but stopped 100 m before it and I spent 5 minutes waiting before moving on myself.

As a motivated and obedient soldier I sticked to my SL so maybe you should make that part clearer to the player (maybe Hodek gives a new order or so).

Thank you, Undeceived, I am honored! I am so glad you enjoy it.I'm now working on the sequel, I've made four missions now.

It was a nice campaign and some of the missions kinda reminded me of BIS campaign... nvm it deserves a 6.5/10.Simple story, easy missions and no complexity i recommend playing it with a mod (i played with dan mod) but some of the dialogues were out of sync what i mean is some guy speaks and the dialogues ends so fast that i couldn't read the whole sentence.

ATTENTION SPOILER AHEAD:

Spoiler

maybe there should have been a mission where the enemy commander gets stuck between saint pierre and durras and he is in vernon and u have to control him and get out of the island. i dont remember vernon getting captured. or add some enemy patrols because in some of the walking missions i felt pretty lonely but that would make it hard for others.

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 7:57 PM, prototype1479 said:

It was a nice campaign and some of the missions kinda reminded me of BIS campaign... nvm it deserves a 6.5/10.Simple story, easy missions and no complexity i recommend playing it with a mod (i played with dan mod) but some of the dialogues were out of sync what i mean is some guy speaks and the dialogues ends so fast that i couldn't read the whole sentence.

ATTENTION SPOILER AHEAD:

Reveal hidden contents

maybe there should have been a mission where the enemy commander gets stuck between saint pierre and durras and he is in vernon and u have to control him and get out of the island. i dont remember vernon getting captured. or add some enemy patrols because in some of the walking missions i felt pretty lonely but that would make it hard for others.

Thanks for the feedback man! The story is simple indeed, perhaps I will create a GOOD story someday in OFP :)

Finished it now.

It was a cool campaign and it was fun to play it. And as I said - OFP still has so much atmosphere.

And...

Spoiler

What, Hodek survived?? Wow! :)

I asked myself how he was killed, suddenly he was lying there, dead. And I heard some distant shots but couldn't see anyone. Them I ran away with the rest of the group.

Now to the feedback:

Spoiler

First of all - it was bug free, I can't remember any showstopper and heavy bug.

The only thing was Hodek not returning to the base (mentioned earlier), but it's not that bad.

If you wanted, there would be some things to improve the campaign (or maybe you can use some of these things in your next projects). Most of them aren't that difficult:

- The finishing cutscenes of some missions (when the "Mission accomplished" appears) sometimes is out of place, the camera is not pointing at the player

- Use the fadeSound and fadeMusic command before quitting the mission and also use TitleCut ["","black out",1]; to black out the screen

- Often I saw enemies standing still while their comrades two meters away got killed.

- Here and there the missions were a bit empty. You could place some patrols in the forests and on the roads, this would also be good for the atmosphere. Many parts where nothing happened. There was one mission where it would have been super cool if some enemy units came: It was in the Morton mission where the player is commanded to move to the crossroads. I had a blast with the landscape while moving there - so beatiful - and I imagined how damn cool it would be to see a enemy group or maybe a small vehicle coming down the road to that crossroads from the distance... :)

- All in all the campaign was very (I'd even say TOO easy). Hence some more patrols, but you could also send some enemy reinforcements, when the player accomplishes tasks.
- Sometimes I thought that it would be better to make one mission out of two. For example the Morton mission and the next one where you meet Hodek. You could create a small mid-cutscene (even the intro of the next mission) and then move on with it. The briefing feels like an interruption sometimes and the missions (ok, not particularly the Morton one) feel too short sometimes.

- Ok, that's all for now - I'll get back to you if I remember more.

This sounds really interesting and so I have a few questions:

1) required mods = CUP? because it's simply marked Everon, Kolgujev

2) any chance that this could be hosted on Steam's workshop?

3) I understand that it might be complicated for some missions, but any chance of a COOP version?

4) you mentioned this is the second part of your campaign, so where's the first? maybe you want to add a link to each part in your signature (rather like our good friend Undeceived)

5 hours ago, domokun said:

Hi mate, this is for OFP/ArmA CWA so there is no CUP ;)

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 0:24 PM, domokun said:

3) I understand that it might be complicated for some missions, but any chance of a COOP version?

4) you mentioned this is the second part of your campaign, so where's the first? maybe you want to add a link to each part in your signature (rather like our good friend Undeceived)

I said that this is the first part:) If I had made a mistake, can you please verify where?

My bad. I didn't realise that this section of the forum was OFP (I thought that it was A3).