mach2infinity

Maximum size of model?

Hope everyone's had a good Christmas. I've been wondering about doing a alien invasion/monster defence type mission/mod where you'd face the fighting machines (Tripods) from War of the Worlds (2005) or the Cloverfield monster. Their dimensions are as follows:

Cloverfield
Height: 250-300 ft (76m-91m)
Length: 1200ft (365m)

Tripod
Height: 150ft (45m)

I suspect the Cloverfield monster would be too large but the Tripod is still do-able. Is that so? I do realise it's not just size limits but also how many polys/faces the game allows as well. I did come across this thread but it doesn't really answer my question.

Many thanks!

There's ways around the size of the model...well sort of.  Should you do it is the question you should be asking yourself.  Btw wrong forum.  You'd want the o2 modeling.

• Like 1

50m is the largest a model can be while still retaining collision, that is 25m from the origin point (0,0) in the x/y plane. Height however can be incredibly high, as far as 100m if I remember right, and still retain collision.

My knowledge comes from buildings and environmental structures. A vehicle/character might have different properties at larger sizes, but the geometry limit is pretty universal.

Thanks guys and apologies for posting in the wrong section. Food for thought!

Delta Hawk to answer your question, yes absolutely! I think a monster/alien defence type mission would be awesome and introducing a new kind of enemy to the game would provide an interesting and new challenge. I also am looking into the Battle:LA aliens being introduced as they best fit the near future/milsim setting for Arma in terms of a more 'grounded' ET threat.

In that case I would suggest taking idea and putting it on a shelf, for now.  I'm not saying don't do it, but put it off to the side.  I don't know if you're new to modeling for ArmA, but if you are you should instead focus on traditional content being aliens.

The issue really is you're wanting to make new content that's not adaptable in the ArmA engine without serious effort.  Instead, you should take the content that's already in ArmA, and adapt that to your idea, which is an alien mod.

The reason why is the ArmA engine exponentially becomes more difficult the more you move away from traditional content, i.e. soldiers, tank, jets .etc.  This difficulty discourages a lot of modders once they fully realize it and they stop work on their project.

its a lot of custom animation work, if you cant use the human standard skeleton. Especially if the alien things need to have same feature list like humans (stance system, leaning, ...)