bludski

Unnamed Vietnam War Map (cambodia/laos)

4 hours ago, GodsFist said:

This is Amazing can't wait to fight here.

I've made a mp mission in the editor but when I put it on our Server it says that we have to install the Adittitional Keys.

We're can i find those?

Thanks!

You can't. Yet.

Aha oke that's why :) Than we have to be patience and just wait, Thanks anyway for you're repley

23 minutes ago, GodsFist said:

Aha oke that's why :) Than we have to be patience and just wait, Thanks anyway for you're repley

or turn off signature verification, fine when playing with friends, not advised on a public server.

I was attempting to make a simple ambush mission on a supply convoy in the jungle...bringing supplies to the guerrillas (VC/NVA), unfortunately the AI can't drive any vehicles on the jungle roads without bouncing off the trees on either side every few feet. This makes even a small 3 vehicle convoy impossible. 

Yes, I agree with dr@gon. it would be nice to have at least 1 or 2 cleared crossing the map

This would allow for instance a ho-chi minh trail scenario. 

• Like 3

we have huge amounts of praise for the map, it is beautiful, realistic and great to fight on. Along with Da Krong, these are the best 2 maps ever made for arma fighting CQB.

key things causing problems from this weekends limited testing (the unsung dev team and elite-warriors playing co-op evolution on it against AI):

- the bases are too crowded with stuff, and not enough space - even placing ammo crates for the units to access, they inevitably clip some clutter like a garbage can or crate or furniture item, and de-spawn. causing us a huge headache fixed by zeusing in new crates all the time.  just need a simple open space in a few places without stuff in it. also hard to place lights for night use.

- really hard to pre-place MGs in the bunkers due to the floor design (seems like 2 layers so the feet are buried in 3den), they get confused and rise up and sit on top of the bunker. i guess i can fix this by working out their posASL and fixing it in their inits

- roads are too cramped even for players to drive on, we drive through the jungle instead as its easier. the jungle is more open than da krong, and much easier to navigate the terrain, so roads with all that crowding from trees and those horrific V shaped vines (also a hated plant on da krong lol) with really bad geo/clipping are avoided. often the roads are blocked by trees or vines from each side, so you can't get past. this makes having AI convoys attacked in side missions completely redundant. which is a shame right now, as the road layout is lovely, and very realistic feeling. the roads are harder to navigate than the jungle, so something ain't quite right there.

- the temples are amazing but no use whatsoever for AI. we had to rescue players trapped in the big ones, using helicopters to extract them which was funny. they were lost in the maze hehe.

- we will add a man-made, mission-side airbase on the top empty flat part of the map, as we use planes in our missions, and the runway feature isn't as you said, intended to function..

so all in all, this is a great map and will feature heavily in our mission cycle, and people will love it like a favourite pet, but the design of certain parts is not remotely usable by the dumb-ass AI, which limits the areas of it we can use in our missions, and that is a shame.

we would rank it joint top best map ever in arma. so great work mate, and look forward to seeing it develop.

I have decided to remove unsung requirement from this map because major philosophical differences with the unsung mod and my motives for spending time creating a map for arma.

Next version uploaded to steam will be standalone and have nothing to do with the vietnam conflict. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eggbeast said:

- roads are too cramped even for players to drive on, we drive through the jungle instead as its easier. the jungle is more open than da krong, and much easier to navigate the terrain, so roads with all that crowding from trees and those horrific V shaped vines (also a hated plant on da krong lol) with really bad geo/clipping are avoided. often the roads are blocked by trees or vines from each side, so you can't get past. this makes having AI convoys attacked in side missions completely redundant. which is a shame right now, as the road layout is lovely, and very realistic feeling. the roads are harder to navigate than the jungle, so something ain't quite right there.

That's because no road areas don't have any real malus to wheeled driving speed.

I've only seen this feature in one north european map (can't remeber its name...).

36 minutes ago, bludski said:

Next version uploaded to steam will be standalone and have nothing to do with the vietnam conflict. 

Will you stick to old buildings (I would prefer that) or will you include the modern looking ones ?

• Like 1

Just now, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

Will you stick to old buildings (I would prefer that) or will you include the modern looking ones ?

I'm staying in the same time window and same location. Nothing modern. French settlers left long ago and local Khmer don't like stone buildings and only drive ox carts. Only difference is no mod requirements and less lower back pain for me, resulting in a better boonie map for infantry combat for everybody. Any custom objects I make will be old Khmer stuff except state police and abandoned french buildings.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, bludski said:

Only difference is no mod requirements.

That will make your map available to all communities. Thx again !

• Like 1

I've been playing the map without the Unsung mod loaded anyway and it looked pretty damn good already. Works great as a generic Asian/African/South American jungle map.

• Like 1

Just now, Bitesrad said:

I've been playing the map without the Unsung mod loaded anyway and it looked pretty damn good already. Works great as a generic Asian/African/South American jungle map.

Well then soon you will see some buildings in the empty spots :) Steam page is updated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bludski said:

I have decided to remove unsung requirement from this map because major philosophical differences with the unsung mod and my motives for spending time creating a map for arma.

Whoa, so much for constructive criticism.

You were planning on doing a non-Unsung version anyway, You could have just said you aren't making any major changes take it as is or leave it....next version without Unsung up next in the very near future. You already put the work into placing the assets no need wasting it. Instead shortly after getting feedback from the beta test you just drop Unsung. Seems a bit sensitive.

You are a very talented map maker but you will need a thicker skin if you plan to continue modding, as a rule its a thankless job.

• Like 1

my feedback is only that, i'm not trying to force you to do anything. just relaying feedback from the test team this weekend, in case it is helpful and feedback from me as a MISSION designer. so for my missions, i would prefer those suggested fixes. that's nothing to do with unsung mod, but rather some changes that may help other future MISSION makers using the map. so whether unsung is involved or not, is nothing to do with this feedback.

"major philosophical differences" - i simply suggest how to improve the map for all mission makers to use it with ease. at present it is not AI-freindly, and i am sure over time you will come to see that. meanwhile you have given yourself less assets to work with because you can't understand my motives for feeding back, maybe read this and re-evaluate, or not, as you see fit. either way we will enjoy your map in future, thanks.

16 minutes ago, dr@gon said:

Whoa, so much for constructive criticism.

You were planning on doing a non-Unsung version anyway, You could have just said you aren't making any major changes take it as is or leave it....next version without Unsung up next. You already put the work into placing the assets no need wasting it. Instead shortly after getting feedback from the beta test you just drop Unsung. Seems a bit sensitive.

You are a very talented map maker but you will need a thicker skin if you plan to continue modding, as a rule its a thankless job.

Nothing to do with taking criticism.. at all.

I'm making an infantry map and that has always been the plan since day one.

You make it evident that you have no use for such but a lot of others do.

I don't give a rat's ass about how you guys work around me not having an airbase on the map.

If you want to know, it has more about the way you do things and the circle jerk dependancies and the futility of making something look nice with ancient objects. 

The way you prevent people from picking out the few things they like is also kind of repulsive if you want to know I really feel about it.  

+ several other reason that don't really matter to anyone here.

• Like 1

That's sad. I'm not going to rise yto abusive comments.

AI are not gonna get down this road. thought you should know

XDotIst.jpg

17 minutes ago, eggbeast said:

AI are not gonna get down this road. thought you should know

Time for AI to dismount and continue on foot......aren't these hurdles to be expected on a jungle map?....it's not an manicured estate after all. 

• Like 3

@bludski I just tried the newest version of the map and got this error message:

Warning Message: Cannot open object blud_mancave\blud_vc_mancave_bk.p3d

1 minute ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

@bludski I just tried the newest version of the map and got this error message:

Warning Message: Cannot open object blud_mancave\blud_vc_mancave_bk.p3d

Thanks. It will be fixed in the next upload today.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

Time for AI to dismount and continue on foot......aren't these hurdles to be expected on a jungle map?....it's not an manicured estate after all. 

that's fine, i was just feeding back our experiences porting my evolution mission to the map.

if bludski has issues with using the unsung mod, he is welcome to speak to us about that. we collaborate with a lot of modders, and several map makers. it's not always smooth sailing, due to technical limitations, but we usually reach acceptable compromises. It's good that he uses unsung huts, like my burnable huts placed all over the map. it would be silly to remove it all because he doesn't like my mission-maker feedback. he is welcome to ignore it of course. i often ignore feedback myself, if i feel i don't have time to explain my design plans to every random guy who shows up posting on our thread.

the way i understood it, he would use the huts or specifically what he likes, if he could just add it to his own pbos, right? maybe i misunderstood. i'm all for things being more modular, meaning not having to load giant mod packs to play a single map. don't get me wrong. i love me some unsung. just in general i feel single modules should be independant of eachother as much as possible.

of course as long as it makes sense. if we're talking a few objects for example. of course no one wants to download the whole of CUP terrain core for each map all over.

have you guys thought about letting the CUP team pick some objects other maps could benefit from so they could add them to CUP? then CUP could eventually support all kinds of climates. but that might be out of their scope. i jsut always thought having icebreakr's objects (african stuff) in there would be cool. might be overkill.

i dunno. just some constructive ideas.

EDIT: i'm sure those roads can be widened a little later once the personal stuff is out of the way. not really a unsung or no unsung matter, if you ask me. ;D

also i love this map a lot. keep up the good work. it is very immersive with all the attention to detail and convincing places.

• Like 1

yes exactly, we agreed to allow him to use the huts we developed from indo's mesh, in his standalone version, because he was collaborating with unsung mod to make a map we could also release. The burnable huts, including several of the lods, the config and scripts have been built by me, as part of the unsung mod. I am really happy that he wanted to use them, as they create a great atmosphere in the battle.

That's the kind of team we are. we are happy to talk with our source artists and create marriages between creators where appropriate.

I think maybe he has taken my mission-related comments a little personally, which i can understand when you put in tireless hours of work and someone posts an issue up, but there's no need to destroy it all over a simple misunderstanding.

all he has to do is disregard my feedback, not insult the mod, and destroy our relationship.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bad benson said:

he would use the huts or specifically what he likes, if he could just add it to his own pbos, right?

like i say, we were able to broker a deal about some of the huts, but some of our assets were made many years ago by authors no longer with us, or indeed reachable, and their license terms with us prevent us from releasing their content to the community, or even other mods. it is always a model by model case-by-case discussion about sharing for this reason. It is because we respect model authors prior contributions that we protect them. If there are circular dependencies in the mod, that is my fault as lead configger. This is not intentional, but when you use parts of one model in another, over the 14 years the mod has been developing, we inevitably create these issues.

I have to say bludski, I am encouraged by your work, especially the focus on detail for the infantry. I enjoy the claustrophobia one can get and the authenticity of the jungles and villages. Happy to here the standalone is coming along now, hope to add this into our groups map rotation for some operations.

• Like 1