Sign in to follow this  
ja391045

Thermal Friendly Optics

I've been playing through Apex, and it's a blast.  However, on the missions where you have NVG IIs, the thermal capability which should be a life-safer in the thick jungle, isn't nearly as useful as it should be.  The reticles on the rifle optics all-but disappear in thermal. In 2035, I'd imagine someone would have figured out how to add a little heat or chill to the optic reticles just for contrast, maybe not the reflex dot, but the in-scope reticle.   What I've ended up doing is using the thermal capability more for scanning, and once a heat signature is located, I'll switch to NVGs to actually engage the target. I end up switching NVG modes a lot.  If you can put your scope right over the target, you can barely make out the reticle over the white background of the target.  However, for the most part, if you leave your thermals on while engaging, you are just tube shooting and hoping for the best.  Are there any reticles which are more thermal friendly in the arsenal? 

I've probably misunderstood your question but with the TWS (Thermal Weapon Sight) you can toggle between White-hot and Black-hot like this-

With White-hot we can't see the aiming dot-

AA3-TWS1_zpsczvkcuum.jpg~original

But with Black-hot we can-

AA3-TWS2_zpsnlyjnht7.jpg~original

• Like 1

^ I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that you can't see very clearly through optical sights when using thermal vision-enabled goggles like the ENVG-II, not about switching between optic modes.

As for OP, it's realistic that you can't see through optical sights clearly (or at all) as the glass on optics project their own thermal image. You can see through holographic and collimator sights slightly, but you still won't be able to see the reticle itself. The best thing to do is either stick to the weapon's ironsight (unequip your optic) or use the backup ironsight on the optic itself if it has one.

Yes, some optics can actually be a hindrance rather than a help, so I tend to prefer good old iron sights in many cases.

For example a lot of scopes have got a fixed zoom (eg 5x etc) which makes it hard to keep the crosshairs on a nearish target that's moving fast across your field of view such as a running man, vehicle or chopper.