silola

X-Cam-Taunus Version 1.1

hey silola,
thank you and your team for this awesome map!

i don't know if you know them already.
i just found two little bugs at RMA, both at main hall.

- It rains inside and you have outside sound in this area

- the left and right entrance (at the main entrance) have invisible windows or something, so you can't shoot trough it

Best regards,
Schulz

• Like 1

Absolutely stellar work guys! You've really outdone yourselves. The amount of detail and interiors, attention to fine things, is just mind boggling. That combined with the HUGE scale, this has to be one of the most impressive mod made ARMA maps I've ever set eyes on!

Can't wait to see the development cycle of this amazing project!

• Like 2

Many thanks for all the nice comments guys !!!

Again ... we know the performance is very bad for some people, but as I said it is not possible to create such a detailed map

which then runs with 60 frames in each area. This should be understandable to each of you.

In particular, the cities are very performance-intensive.

The best way to increase performance is to reduce the viewdistance.

If that does not help, there is only one way: upgrade your PC ... sorry.

Silola

• Like 10

As far as crashing goes mentioned by Ski2060, we both use i5's with GTX 1070's.  He uses a 6600k and I use a 4690k.  Our systems are both fairly new(his quite a bit better than mine).  We both experience black screen crashing that causes the following error: UNABLE_TO_INIT_DXGI.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1VBIDmhhfYRMHJ6TEhHR0pOVDA is a link to the full crash report if you have the time to check it out.  The map is great except for ht crashing that makes it unplayable.  Keep up the great work!

Side note, I made a post on the WIP version, however, it is now closed so I made this post to this version.

Edited by Rogue16thJSOC

Amazing map, I just downloaded now. Simply outstanding work.

But can I ask surely there are too many objects and too much detail to use this in multiplayer? I'd like to put this in my groups repository but it seems like it is going to be a multiplayer nightmare.

14 minutes ago, rekkless said:

Amazing map, I just downloaded now. Simply outstanding work.

But can I ask surely there are too many objects and too much detail to use this in multiplayer? I'd like to put this in my groups repository but it seems like it is going to be a multiplayer nightmare.

32bit performance is not great as you already mentioned.

Test it on the 64bit dev branch. Runs fine there. If you still got problems it means you need a better computer or it is not setup properly.

Hi, great Map Dudes keep on working, nice Job..

But I have some little bugs to report. I think it is with collision from some floortexture. Have only spottet two places for now, but I think there are more....(Feldberg and Saalburg) Have made some screenshots about it, links are on the end of the post. If you walk around all is normal, no problem. Just drive in with some vehicle and there is no collision betwen the vehicle and the floortexture, you just sag down to the maplevel....

I solved this issue on the Feldberg with some concrete floors builded with the Exile mod witch I have running too..

Sorry for my bad english,because of this, here the same just in german.....

Hi, das die Map großartig ist wiederhole ich jetzt nicht nochmal, aber die kleinen bugs wollte ich nochmal in deutsch verfassen, irgendwie liegt mir diese Sprache besser... Wobei englisch eigentlich nicht schwer sein kann, in Amerika zb sprechen das schon gaanz kleine Kinder....

Also die festgestellten Bugs haben irgendwie was damit zu tun, das manche Boden-Texturen keine Kollision mit Fahrzeugen haben. Ist mir nach ein paar Stunden des Testens bisher an 2 Stellen aufgefallen. 1x am großen Feldberg und 1x an der Saalburg.

Man kann als Spieler wunderbar da umherlaufen oder mit dem Fahrrad rumfahren, alles ganz normal. Sobald man aber mit einem Fahrzeug auf die Fläche fährt, sinkt man ein bis zur eigentlichen Mapöberfläche.

Am Feldberg habe ich das Problem behoben, in dem ich ein paar Betonteile gebaut habe, was zur Mod Exile gehört, welche u.A. auch auf dem Server läuft...

Davon mal ein paar Screenshots-Links

Talla

Pic 1 - Map Location Feldberg

Pic 2 - with vehicle

Pic 3 -without vehicle

Pic 4 - other side of Feldberg

Pic 5 - Map Location Saalburg

Pic 6 - inner courtyard Saalburg

Edited by CHiLL3R
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adjudantloic said:

THIS IS THE BEST MAP EVER BETTER THAN ALTIS OR STRATIS FOR THE RP but the fps :'( :'(

Please don't post all in capitals as this equivalent to shouting and is in violation of the forum rules.

• Like 2

On 7.1.2017 at 6:19 PM, metalcraze said:

Here is a simple mod that makes Taunus use new ArmA3 lighting for those who want it - but with some differences versus vanilla BIS configuration:

- slightly more pronounced red colors during daytime

- deeper shadows

- brighter nights with a more natural blue tint

My default Taunus looks as gamma bright as yours.

I cannot de-pbo - Is that ArmA PPFX (if so, please post code line)? As @Recolor is a widespread mod, you could also deactivate its active effect before you do your coloring, because as you know, the pp fx stack on top of each other and users get confused. He uses a global var.

I do it like this:

if !(isNil "GF_RC_ColorCorrection") then
   {
      GF_RC_ColorCorrection ppEffectEnable false;
      GF_RC_ColorCorrection ppEffectCommit 0;
   };

Wow this looks insane/awesome/holy cow, I just saw it pop up on steam.  

I'll be checking this out over the next few days, thank you for what appears to be an outstanding job on map making!

Time to put some Ravage action in Taunus, wooha!

Hope you folks can get the dust particles from vehicles/infantry working, I love particles haha.

Thats an insanly good map. One of the best ever released for any OFP/Arma game. I live something like 25-30 km away from the area depicted in that map, but also in the Taunus region. I must say you made an amazing job to make this map look very familiar even for a local, beside the obvious Arma buildings that dont fit to the local architecture. Im also very happy that you made an effort to include the sights of the region: The Feldberg panorama tower, the Kastell Saalburg (a reconstructed ancient roman fort), open-air museum Hessenpark, the various castles. Too bad you couldnt include the amusement park Lochmühle (we used to go when i was child), but there a no "amusement park" assets out there for Arma. But i also like how you took liberties to create interesting locations (that airport!!!)

A central european based map is always great to have among all the eastern european and middle east/central asia maps. But then also having a map based on the region, where im from is simply phenomenal, especially when its also such a beautyful designed and large one. Thank you so much.

I encountered one minor strange issue with one building. (x=14259, y=12175). Its a building with a partly enterable ground floor. When i tried to place some objects in that groundfloor, the building suddenly became a non-enterable building and i had a massive FPS drop in the editor. I wasnt able to recreate the, maybe it was some weird combination of factors coming together.

• Like 2

Pretty and very well laid out.  I had the game lock up on me 2 times while trying to place some modules from within the editor.

I admit I was flying all over the map via the editors camera looking at stuff, getting excited then flying off somewhere else when it started to chug...  I was looking at a large cylindrical tower around the middle of the map.  

Been a loooong time since Arma has given me any grief haha.

So I fired up the 64bit Dev build and was able to finish placing the rest of the Ravage modules, exported to SP/MP and so forth.

I loaded in and noticed the grass and tree foliage had a very strange edge effect on them, all of them.  Like I had set my sharpen filter to 1000 haha.  Obviously that was going to be enjoyable so I swapped back to editor ( still using 64bit) and sure enough the foliage all looked a little wacky.  

This could be a number of things obviously. 

I checked my sharpen setting within the game it is set to default.

I was not able to try it again with the 32bit exe. I do not recall seeing this over sharpen effect while I was using the 32bit exe to layout the mission prior to it locking up...I had run out of "free time" for the evening hah, I'll do that tonight.

Taunus is a gorgeous map. And it gave me serious ArmA depressions back. Because you add only fractions of life to the map of which it deserves. One single firefight few AI vs. few other AI at a single spot somewhere on that vast terrain, and your FPS hit the ground. Makes me feel sad. But maybe in 20 years I will laugh about today and play ArmA 3 with 1000s of units and 100s of FPS in a VM :)

Knowing about the size of the terrain and the possible amount of AI and life, that is frustrating.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tortuosit said:

Taunus is a gorgeous map. And it gave me serious ArmA depressions back. Because you add only fractions of life to the map of which it deserves. One single firefight few AI vs. few other AI at a single spot somewhere on that vast terrain, and your FPS hit the ground. Makes me feel sad. But maybe in 20 years I will laugh about today and play ArmA 3 with 1000s of units and 100s of FPS in a VM :)

Knowing about the size of the terrain and the possible amount of AI and life, that is frustrating.

That's not a special Taunus problem ... please try the same quick-mission with default arma units and default sounds and without any other mod.

I've played many hours @Taunus with some DAC missions without any problems.

Silola

• Like 2

I did rather talk about ArmA in general and not about Taunus problems in particular. Big and rich maps reveal the poorness of AI performance because of the big gap between the two. Yes I know there are reasons, I already know ArmA. I was just talking. 

On 25.12.2016 at 0:03 AM, silola said:

Known issues

- No dust on all surfaces

Regarding this dust-topic:

Its a problem with CUP, as they are already defining their own surfaces in their vehicle-config (CUP_Terrains_Worlds -> DustEffects).

That overrides any own configs (i found this out on my own map-project -> loading with the CUP-Mod: No Dust-Effects / loading without CUP: Dust works as intended in my own configs, but i am missing all the A2-Objects of course).

So far I have not yet found a solution around this problem... but i suppose this is the same for your map. If anyone comes around with a solution for this problem  the Taunus-Map could be improved further (and I would also be happy for my own project).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo_D41 said:

Regarding this dust-topic:

Its a problem with CUP, as they are already defining their own surfaces in their vehicle-config (CUP_Terrains_Worlds -> DustEffects).

That overrides any own configs (i found this out on my own map-project -> loading with the CUP-Mod: No Dust-Effects / loading without CUP: Dust works as intended in my own configs, but i am missing all the A2-Objects of course).

So far I have not yet found a solution around this problem... but i suppose this is the same for your map. If anyone comes around with a solution for this problem  the Taunus-Map could be improved further (and I would also be happy for my own project).

Thanks for repoting cosmo. I hope there is a solution available soon.

Silola

I guess there is no solution for the 1-5 fps bug we get on this map? They need to get the 64bit out?

Kinda sad that after 30min-1h a restart is needed. So up to 3-4 each server uptime...

The next CUP terrains update isn't far around the corner now, there's a good chance it will fix the particle effects on Taunus.

It will also add geometric occluders, that will most likely make a noticeable difference regarding performances.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silola said:

Thanks for repoting cosmo. I hope there is a solution available soon.

Silola

Here is the solution from the CUP-Bugtracker:

http://dev.cup-arma3.org/T1864

The only reason it was overriding their dust effects is because it was loading after their dust effects, and replacing them. If they added CUP_Worlds_DustEffects as a requiredAddon then there would be no issue, except maybe them overriding the CUP dust effects if they didn't copy those.

Part of this issue comes from the way you have to define dust effects. You can't inherit and add to a nested array (or atleast not from what I've seen), so in order to add dust effects for your map, you have to define all dust effects again.

Perhaps you can try this for Taunus, at least it worked for me (also it will disable the dust-effects for other maps loaded at the same time)