Holy crap! This is pretty amazing, very cool integration. I hate hearing people complain about using TFAR as a addon. So this provides an excellent alternative.

Love the concept, see a shortfall though

I run both an addon and a vanilla server (TFAR on the addon server)

We use voip on the vanilla public server constantly and although this would add a very immersive level to that, how do you cater for long distance communication between group leaders on command net ?

Based on your video presentation, it would seem that command net comms would also deteriorate over distance. If this is the case I would suggest that you do not limit the range of command net and possibly side net broadcasts. (We use side net as an emergency channel for squad members to communicate when their squad leader is down (revive mode) )

Our CAS pilots also tend to be their own group leader and can be some distance off from ground troops, so limiting the brodacast distance to them would also be detrimental

Conclusion

Command and Side should have no distance limitation

Group should be standard squad radio distance, like you have it

Otherwise this addon is only really fully useful for small clans who play a squad sized mission at the most, we run with 50+ players on our game nights and can have assets spread over a large area

• Like 1

@terox Agreed.  For now, I'm working on getting the script to work as intended in an efficient way.  Afterwards, I'll move onto expanding its features.  For now, all channels function similarly to Group with 1050m being the maximum comms range you'll have to be from a friendly player to be able to talk in that channel.  After some tests last night, I realized I still need to work on finishing what I have implemented already.  Once that's done, I'll work off of that.

For the record, ACRE2 and TFAR will absolutely be better in almost all ways when compared to my script, except for possibly ease of access and file size.  I'm also trying to work around Arma 3's limitations to execute this idea well enough.  I think it's doable, but not anywhere near the level of TFAR or ACRE.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phronk said:

@terox Agreed.

Great news, looking forward to seeing this develop

• Like 1

An additional thought for this.

You have afaik 10 custom voip channels to also play with, or if its pvp split that into 2 sets of 5

Add a custom mission based  gui to enable/disable these on the fly and define via a configuration page their various purposes. range settings etc to your hearts content

I have a mission I coded that has such a gui, if your interested i'll dig it out and pm it to you

It can't hurt to have a look.  The code I have right now is still very much a work in progress and I need to work out the bugs before adding more content or expanding what I have.  I'd like to see how you did it though, just for curiosity's sake in case my planned method is flawed.

[Development News]

Expect the upcoming (No ETA) version of AFAR to be a major improvement in all aspects.  I've already fixed a lot of core bugs with the script and expect to have the rest of them fixed by the time the code is released.  I apologize for the script being so incomplete thus far.  It is possible that after this update, I'll be able to expand the script into long range radio functionality and possibly simultaneously working on a radio interface.  I'm very new to interface coding and all that, so if you're experienced with that and want to contribute, please let me know and we'll talk.

Here's a WIP change-log for the next update.

I created a feature request ticket for BI to add a new client-side (local) script command to locally mute a player.

• Like 1

Download Link (Google Drive)
Download Link (Armaholic)
Version: 0.4

ADDITIONS:
• Added: Side, Command, Group, Vehicle, and Direct channel is fully supported

• Added: Every VON channel has its own PushToTalk eventHandlers

• Added: GetInMan/GetOutMan eventHandler to toggle Vehicle channel

• Added: Higher pitch radio "in" sound for Command channel

• Added: Distance check to radio "in" functions

• Added: Distance check to radio "out" functions

• Added: Animation of character using radio, when player talks on radio

• Added: Speech volume is set to 0% upon death

• Added: Speech volume is set to 100% upon respawn

ADJUSTMENTS:
• Changed: Sounds are now defined in new "SFX.hpp", instead of Description.ext

• Changed: Renamed "rFN.sqf" to "f.sqf"

• Changed: "Fuzz" function variables renamed to avoid repetition conflicts

• Tweaked: "Fuzz" function's initial player check

• Tweaked: "Fuzz" function checks if player is alive, instead of isAbleToBreathe

• Tweaked: Each channel's privileges are handled independently

• Tweaked: Improved player distance check

• Tweaked: Reduced maximum radio range to 1200, down from 2000

• Tweaked: Increased volume of static

• Tweaked: Global/Direct channel cannot create radio static

• Tweaked: Vehicle channel is disabled when no other player on your side

• Tweaked: Variables are all private

FIXES:
• Fixed: Distance check's array of near players wasn't reset upon keyRelease

• Fixed: Players outside of radio range would still hear radio sounds

• Fixed: Static/floating radio when player disconnects during a radio transmission

• Fixed: Script error when a dead player tried to speak

• Fixed: Corrected in-game AFAR instructions briefing

• Fixed: Corrected information in ReadMe.txt

OPTIMIZATIONS:

• Optimized: Removed redundant vehicle player check when removing attached objects

• Optimized: Checks if players nearby are alive/same side in same line of code

• Optimized: GetIn/Out eventHandlers are added on init, instead of every keyPress

• Optimized: Talking in Vehicle channel

• Optimized: currentChannel check for the radio "in" functions

• Optimized: Improved use of remoteExec

• Optimized: Improved radio's "Fuzz" function

• Optimized: Improved radio's "In" functions

• Optimized: Renamed "_plAFAR" variable to "_nearP" (nearPlayers)

• Optimized: Deleted unused "_fz" variable

• Optimized: Deleted a few lines of redundant code

• Optimized: Deleted redundant "isDedicated" check in "init.sqf"

REMOVALS:

• Replaced: onPlayerKilled and onPlayerRespawn scripts with eventHandlers in "f.sqf"

• Removed: Player count variables from script

• Removed: Useless initial distance check for radio "in" function

• Removed: Useless array of player distances

• Removed: Useless "_dlAFAR" and "_dAFAR" variables

• Removed: Useless call in the "KeyUp" displayEventHandler on init

• Removed: Redundant "_plAFAR" variable from "Fuzz" function

• Removed: Redundant surfaceIsWater check in beginning of each function

• Removed: "_rEH" local variable holding getInMan/getOutMan eventHandlers

• Removed: Some comments from script

• Removed: rob223344 from the credits; contribution not used

• Removed: Credits from Instructions Manual briefing

KNOWN BUGS:

• Script error when talking to an incapacitated/dead player
  • Instance where radio static persists indefinitely, until you reconnect
  • Releasing other keys while holding down PushToTalk key is glitchy

• Like 4

Very simple radio interface which will be featured in update 0.5 (Not yet released), but the animation shown is already in the currently released version.  I'm struggling to fix a couple bugs remaining in the script, but once they're squashed I'll update the script.  ETA unknown...

• Like 2

i love this for existing but i have some questions?

- does it work for multi-way coms (like having a 4 way chat in group).

- can i disable command and side for certain people but not command for others to create an effective 'command channel'

- can i disable peoples ability to hear command and side channel

- can i disable the radio appearing in front of you.

edit: hope to see this replace TFAR for the casual arma gamer (sorry, but i dont think anyone can bear TFAR for immersion and milsim quality.)

The radio functions basically the same as the default game's VOIP, with some factors taken more into consideration:

0. Global Channel - Not really supported, I suggest keeping this disabled (Default disabled)

1. Side Channel - Only players on your side within radio range (1050m) of another friendly player can talk on this channel

2. Command Channel - Only players who are squad leaders and within radio range can talk on this channel

3. Group Channel - Only players who are in your squad can talk on this channel

4. Vehicle Channel - Only players who are in the same vehicle can communicate on this channel

5. Direct Channel - Doesn't use radio, since this is more of a 3D local voice thing.

You cannot mute/unmute specific channels.

You CAN disable the 3D radio and character animation in the script pretty easily in the commented configurations section at the top.

I'd like to implement a long range radio and more channels in the future, but my focus is and will remain mostly on bug fixing until all major issues are resolved.

• Like 1

Is there any way for this script to not allow more than one person to speak at once? This is the only feature that I would miss from TFAR.

Also, I would really love to remove the 3D radio floating in front of my characters face. It takes away from immersion heavily. How can I do this? There is no option in the config!

Thank you!

The option will be included in the next version, sorry for not specifying.

Sorry for double-posting, but I need your feedback on your opinions regarding the content described below.

I'm currently experimenting with replacing Side channel with Command channel.  I'll explain the differences below with AFAR in use:

• Side Channel: By default, everyone on the same side can communicate via this channel only through text. (Voice can be enabled by mission maker)
  • Command Channel: By default, only squad leaders on the same side can communicate via this channel through text and VOIP.

The utilization of Command channel instead of Side channel will help limit traffic over side-oriented VOIP while also adding better emphasis on squad leaders to communicate between each other and for them to relay information to their subordinates.  The reason why I may need to totally replace Side channel is because players cannot switch to a channel with text and VOIP disabled.  The possible drawbacks?  Only squad leaders will be able to see their map markers which were placed in Command channel; their subordinates cannot see, whereas Side channel allowed all players on the same side see  each other's map markers placed in Side channel.

Side channel just felt too open for just anyone to communicate in, at least for my taste, but also Command channel makes squad leading more of an interesting responsibility to interact with other squad leaders and your subordinates will rely on you more for things like that.  Need a helicopter transport?  Then you'll need to get in touch with a pilot who leads a group. (I'd recommend a senior pilot leading a flight group or have the pilots in each of their own little solo groups)

PS: This radio script breaks with Dynamic Groups enabled because it handles groups differently than normal.  With that said, don't worry about players starting their own groups with this radio script in place as long as you don't have the Dynamic Groups system enabled on the mission.

Sorry for the long ass post, but your input is critical to my decisions moving forward with this project.

- Phronk

Hi Phronk, 

Just some feedback.....

I like your thinking on Command vs. Side. I shut off "side" every chance I get, along with any "global" channels, if possible. 

In regards to Dynamic Groups, that is sad to hear. I use dynamic groups since it is a groups management system built in to the game. Now that said, I am waiting for Patrol Ops 4 and A3 Framework to be released, and see what groups management Roy86 is using.

In addition to above, the continuous static bug is a script killer, and caused me to pull your product. I would make that your number 1 priority. Form follows Function. If not fixed already, please fix that, as it really kills your great idea and script. 

You have a wonderful script. I do not like using mods on my server. And this product fills a sorely needed gap in Arma 3. I thought BI was going to revamp the comms. 

I'd love to get Dynamic Groups compatibility, it's half the reason why I started the script (For my mod-free Altis/Stratis/Tanoa Insurgency missions) but we'll see.  I think it handles groups totally different than normally, unless I'm overlooking stuff.  I'm still investigating the conflict.

The static bug is my top priority.  The script is mostly ready for another release, I just can't figure out what the hell triggers the bug.  If help me note when the static bug starts to persist, that information will help me greatly.  Reporting related script and RPT errors, if any, is also helpful.

Here are some instances to test the script for:

• Player connecting while you're transmitting to another player
  • Player disconnecting while transmitting or receiving
  • Player dying while transmitting or receiving
  • Player leaves radio range while receiving (Most likely cause)
  • Player is outside of radio range but others aren't while transmitting or receiving
  • Player is transmitting or receiving to players who are in a separate vehicle?

The above is not a list of what causes the bug.  They're just things to test and if it causes the bug, it'll help me tremendously with fixing and releasing the script in a stable state.  If you're willing to help test the latest version for what causes the bug, message me and I'll send you the latest version, since the code is dramatically different from the last version.

• Like 1

I'll try and do some testing, capture the exact moment it happens. I could speculate, but that does do anyone any good. 

Any input from you guys is always helpful, especially bug reports that help me narrow down what causes issues.  Most of the process of fixing bugs is speculating what makes the bug tick and how it can be fixed.

If you check my Steam page's Addon-Free Arma Radio thread, you can see I've gotten a lot accomplished and there are good changes to look forward to.  Don't worry guys, I won't release another update until the static bug is fixed (at least for most or all common cases).  I'm pretty sure the bug occurs when a player is in range while he or someone else it talking, but then leaves the range mid-conversation before the transmission ended.  I've already fixed a couple instances that cause the bug, such as talking in vehicles.  Sorry about the current shitty version, I didn't thoroughly test it but the next will be far better, I think. 

Once the major static bug is fixed, expect an imminent release.  Testers will be needed to test my version of course, so that I don't rush the release of another broken version like an idiot.

• Like 1

Hi phronk/hustler, I sent you a Steam friend invite if you need a tester/guinea-pig :) script sounds wonderful! Steam name should be Sjakal, arma profile Bishop.

My timezone is CET so compared to your US timezone it may be tricky to be online at the same time, but perhaps in my late evenings or weekends it can work.

I've played Arma since it was called Operation Flashpoint, and I have some Arma scripting experience (i.e. currently fiddling around with my own revive system).

All major bugs are fixed and I'm working on resolving any minor issues remaining.  I still need to conduct thorough tests with at least 3 people total with the version I'm working on, to assure there are no locality issues.  Thankfully, a few people have come forth to help me and actually followed through, which led to confirmation of some minor issues, as well as confirmation of fixes.

IMPORTANT: Please vote on whether you like the 3D radio pop-up while you're talking on a radio channel or if you dislike it.  The reason the 3D radio exists was originally for debugging purposes and I thought it'd be interesting to leave it in.  However, if you guys don't like it, I'll remove it altogether for convenience.  Again, any and all feedback is helpful.  Thank you very much!

• Like 4

On 6/10/2017 at 9:23 AM, phronk said:

However, if you guys don't like it, I'll remove it altogether for convenience.

Why not make it a configurable option?  It can be set by the mission maker in the init.sqf.  Another option would be to add a one time AddAction or Radio command so player can hide/show it, so then its a player preference rather than a mission designer prefererence.

Hi!

I agree with johnnyboy, adding a bool variable check to show that is easy.

IMHO using a radio shouldnt be a "transparent" action on which the player just hits some button and talks, because a real radio usage means to pick some device, drop your weapon or hold it with one hand etc... A radio picture bothering in half of the screen may help to simulate that.

EDIT: Really excited to see if BIS makes the command you asked for.