Easy typo fix, go into the AFAR folder and edit the init.sqf in there: make sure you delete "common\client\" referenced anywhere in there.

Just now, phronk said:

Easy typo fix, go into the AFAR folder and edit the init.sqf in there: make sure you delete "common\client\" referenced anywhere in there.

Already tried that. Doing so brought back the :
Variable 'r_dis' does not support serialization and should not be stored in the mission namespace.

Are you sure you're using the right version? I don't disableSerialization with r_dis referenced.

• Like 1

Changing subjects, I found this "Phone" on Armaholic but was unable to download (Armaholic stopped working a couble weeks ago for me).

Description: This won't compete with ACRE/TFAR, but it will somehow expand the possibilities you got in terms of immersion and mission design. E.g. not every guerilla group got state-of-the-art radios in their pocket and now they can communicate via the phone.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24865

Perhaps this could act as inspiration for Phronk 🙌

• Thanks 1

Has same problem as barccy: Variable 'r_dis' does not support serialization and should not be stored in the mission namespace.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, phronk said:

Are you sure you're using the right version? I don't disableSerialization with r_dis referenced.

Yeah, I didn't see it before with .8 up until now, went through other scripts without finding anything similar, and I just tried the same mission with the AFAR description.ext and init.sqf entries commented out to disable it and that eliminated the error mssg. I went through a lot of the AFAR stuff too, and haven't found any reference in what I've seen so far though. It's weird.

https://youtu.be/RZjIDfo1X70

Oh you're right, I had stored findDisplay 46 into a global variable r_dis, which also counts as missionNamespace. (As an experiment and forgot about it)

I fixed it by renaming all r_dis references to (findDisplay 46). Also fixed the init typos. I'm investigating a possible desync bug before updating. My internet is terrible now, so it could be only on my side but just need to confirm I don't have any major network/performance issues hiding in the code before updating AFAR with a hotfix. Will try to get one out today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 4

hi phronk. I downloaded the demo (from Google Drive I think) but I get some script file missing error

Download Link (Google Drive)

Download Link (Steam Workshop)
Download Link (Armaholic)

Version: 0.94b [HOTFIX]

Size: 52 KB

ADDITIONS:

• Added: Admins will be forced into Direct channel, if they talk in Global channel

ADJUSTMENTS:

• Changed: Clicking the "Mode" button in the radio UI toggles the options menu

• Improved: Talking in RTO channel without meeting parameters disables itself

• Improved: Efficiency of code for all "in" and "out" scripts

• Improved: Radio options within radio UI are now color-coded

• Tweaked: CurrentChannel parameter is now passed to "out2.sqf" (Experimental)

• Tweaked: "_p" is now a private variable

• Tweaked: "_seat" is now a private variable

FIXES:
• Fixed: Script error related to storing display 46 as global variable "r_dis"

• Fixed: Script errors related to script path typos

• Fixed: Client-side RPT errors related to missing ; and } in UI code

• Fixed: Script / RPT error from talking on radio while no friendly players on

• Fixed: Abrupt ending of transmissions should transmit more reliably now

• Fixed: Side channel was using the RTO channel's permission in some cases

• Fixed: Talking in the RTO channel while incapacitated would broadcast a squelch

• Fixed: Clicking "Mode" button on radio interface would duplicate buttons

OPTIMIZATIONS:

• Optimized: Talking in radio channels without players to receive won't alert AI

• Optimized: Trimmed unnecessary code from "G_in.sqf"

• Optimized: Replaced toUpper with toUpperANSI in the AFAR "init.sqf"

REMOVALS:

• Removed: Removed "r_dis" global variable

• Removed "V_in.sqf" no longer calls "r_out2"

• Removed: Redundant isAbleToBreathe check in some "in" scripts

• Replaced: Redundant "_hasBP" local variable in 'M_in.sqf'

KNOWN BUGS:

• Mouse buttons not supported (LMB, MMB, and RMB)

Really sorry about the poor hotfix and the delay for the actual hotfix, I intended to update this on the 17th but ended up going to the hospital (Not COVID-19 related) and am trying to recover but may need another visit. So, before my insides kill me, here's a stable update.

If you find any bugs, issues, or have any suggestions, please forward them to me!

Thanks & enjoy!

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, phronk said:

Really sorry about the poor hotfix and the delay for the actual hotfix, I intended to update this on the 17th but ended up going to the hospital (Not COVID-19 related) and am trying to recover but may need another visit. So, before my insides kill me, here's a stable update.

If you find any bugs, issues, or have any suggestions, please forward them to me!

Thanks & enjoy!

First of all thank you for the Update and I wish you a quick and full recovery! Besides taking good care of yourself and not catching anything "new".

2nd... get ready cause our good friend @Dedmen is on the job for you to finally rock this script of yours to the NEXT level. 

Dedmenwill-Fix-2.jpg

At least with my settings, I can't select Direct Channel, at least from the AFARadio UI and / or keybinds. Once the radio is brought up and channel selected, I can't do direct communication anymore. How am I going to taunt enemies I sneak up behind, now?

@LSValmont  💀 Any day now!

@barccy Direct Channel cannot be selected via the radio interface, you'd have to set a PushToTalkDirect keybind for that. (For now, anyway). Can still select it via < and > if you enable the "r_chOn" setting in the "CFG.sqf" file.

• Like 2

The good news is I've received zero bug reports since my last release of AFAR and the group I've done tests with haven't run into any issues worth noting either. My in-house version of 0.95 adds some new features and a couple fixes, but one of the new additions I'm working on (And need some feedback before proceeding to completion of it) is support for Allies channels to allow Independent players to communicate directly with an ally.

Right now, I don't like it. Adding support for Independents to communicate with allied Opfor or Blufor has increased the filesize to almost 100kb (Up from 54kb) and may impact performance slightly noticeably. Additionally, it's clunky. Because they're custom channels (Ally Channel and Ally Channel [O], prevents enemies from communicating with eachother), they don't have easy to access PushToTalk keybinds to talk in those channels. The support channel also doesn't have its own keybind, but it's a single channel. If you're Independent allied with Blufor and Opfor, you'll have an additional 2 more custom channels. So with the large increase in filesize, performance impact (Due to how many checks it has to do for which faction you are and who hears your static, when talking in the ally channels), and overall clunkiness, I'm close to abandoning the Ally Channel idea, but before I do so I wanted some input from you guys. Is it something you would actually utilize? Is it that important to just add? I feel there are very few missions that play with all 3 factions played by players who would benefit from this -- not including the life and zombie missions, which this isn't designed for anyway, so it most likely isn't worth it. Feedback is appreciated!

I'm holding off on updating 0.95 regardless if I keep/remove the Ally code until BI adds the custom script commands I requested 3 years ago; supposedly the command is/has been created and just has to be approved into a branch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phronk said:

The good news is I've received zero bug reports since my last release of AFAR and the group I've done tests with haven't run into any issues worth noting either. My in-house version of 0.95 adds some new features and a couple fixes, but one of the new additions I'm working on (And need some feedback before proceeding to completion of it) is support for Allies channels to allow Independent players to communicate directly with an ally.

Right now, I don't like it. Adding support for Independents to communicate with allied Opfor or Blufor has increased the filesize to almost 100kb (Up from 54kb) and may impact performance slightly noticeably. Additionally, it's clunky. Because they're custom channels (Ally Channel and Ally Channel [O], prevents enemies from communicating with eachother), they don't have easy to access PushToTalk keybinds to talk in those channels. The support channel also doesn't have its own keybind, but it's a single channel. If you're Independent allied with Blufor and Opfor, you'll have an additional 2 more custom channels. So with the large increase in filesize, performance impact (Due to how many checks it has to do for which faction you are and who hears your static, when talking in the ally channels), and overall clunkiness, I'm close to abandoning the Ally Channel idea, but before I do so I wanted some input from you guys. Is it something you would actually utilize? Is it that important to just add? I feel there are very few missions that play with all 3 factions played by players who would benefit from this -- not including the life and zombie missions, which this isn't designed for anyway, so it most likely isn't worth it. Feedback is appreciated!

I'm holding off on updating 0.95 regardless if I keep/remove the Ally code until BI adds the custom script commands I requested 3 years ago; supposedly the command is/has been created and just has to be approved into a branch.

How about separating both into different scripts?

So if players just need the radio features they use the 54kb version and if players need the individual communication (perhaps with a phone like UI and player IDs to make the "Calls") use the other 46kb script.

Could be a way to keep things clean and neat while attending two unattended niches in the community 😉  

• Thanks 1

It's worked for me, no issues as well. I was going to say what LSValmont said, if you've already got it working, just release two versions and people can use whichever they want. Think you'll be close to doing the "Application Free Arma Radio"  addon/mod now that it's all stable and the feedback tracker thread said something about a volume adjuster going down to zero which might be the same difference as mute?

• Like 1

Ally Channel has been scrapped. 💔

I consulted with the group I play with, as well as some other experienced scripters, and came to the conclusion that it is an unnecessary addition to the script. Missions with 3 playable factions with varying alliances is unusual and the likelihood of them needing a dedicated channel to communicate with eachother directly is also unlikely. On top of that, most large groups use TFAR or ACRE, further reducing the chances of AFAR being used at all -- let alone a larger group that plays with those parameters. Most communities know they can communicate with their Allies in Direct Channel anyway.

• Large groups tend to use TFAR, ACRE, or Discord
  • Very unusual for a mission to feature 3 playable factions with varying allies (Playable Independent faction allied with West, East, or both)
  • remoteExec can be slow or play out-of-order, especially with the heavy Ally code in a larger scale mission
  • Filesize increased dramatically (Doubled) to take alliances into consideration
  • Noticeable performance impact when sending/receiving. This could get worse with larger player count.
  • Clunky controls, too many channels to manage, becomes counter-intuitive
  • No keybinds to PushToTalkAlly1 or PushToTalkAlly2 makes controls even worse

I backed up a version that has the Ally code in case I decide to revisit the idea, but for now, it is too heavy and clunky to use reliably. Instead of having this sluggishly sit with the rest of the code, I pulled it out entirely. With that said, I've fixed all script errors and recent tests have gone very well. My next task is to focus on coding distance factors back into the script to more quickly and easily integrate requested script commands (If they ever make it into Arma). That means to make sure you up vote the ticket so I can get it in ASAP!

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, phronk said:

That means to make sure you up vote the ticket so I can get it in ASAP!

Up voted hard!

Also, once you get this command it would be extremely easy to make an Addon-Free ArmA Phone Script:

Display Player list with a GUI when Phone key bind is pressed.

Player clicks on a Player to make the "call".

A tone sound plays.

Other player clicks the "ANSWER CALL" little GUI pop up.

Script Sets the VOLUME to 0 for all other players outside the "CALL".

Once one of the players click the "HANGS UP" button their default volume values for other players is restored.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, phronk said:

That means to make sure you up vote the ticket so I can get it in ASAP!

Please don't, the internal ticket already targets the next game update, spamming that FT ticket won't change anything on that. It will rather awake my deeply seated hate against spammers.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:23 PM, LSValmont said:

Display Player list with a GUI when Phone key bind is pressed.

Player clicks on a Player to make the "call".

A tone sound plays.

Other player clicks the "ANSWER CALL" little GUI pop up.

Script Sets the VOLUME to 0 for all other players outside the "CALL".

Once one of the players click the "HANGS UP" button their default volume values for other players is restored.

Wouldn't you then want different volume per chat channel? so that you can still hear direct chat while on the phone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Wouldn't you then want different volume per chat channel? so that you can still hear direct chat while on the phone?

Yeah exactly! So I guess it should set VOLUME 0 to all other players on all channels other than Direct 😅

2 hours ago, Dedmen said:

the internal ticket already targets the next game update

Finally! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

8 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Please don't, the internal ticket already targets the next game update, spamming that FT ticket won't change anything on that. It will rather awake my deeply seated hate against spammers.

Thank you! Looking forward to the update!

• Like 2

Hi! Please make "Volume for AI & UI" a toggable option in the CFG.sqf next update. Cheers!

@icarium To be honest, that setting was sort of a placeholder in case I add a better option later. All that option does is set your Radio volume (Also found in Audio settings) to 0% or 100%. So technically, all you have to do is just add 0 fadeRadio 0; to the init of your mission or something to get the same effect you're looking for. My radio script checks the radioVolume, so that's why it doesn't check a custom AFAR volume variable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! Nice work with AFAR. Using it on our Ravage server (Funkuchenhaus) in combination with dynamicGroups. Also looking forward to the return of distance effects.

Another question comes to mind: If "r_alertOn=true" does that influence whether or not talking on the radio will also simultaneously mean talking in direct channel? Talking on the group radio channel does broadcast your voice via direct channel into the game by default, right?

Cheers

@icarium r_alertOn is a setting that the mission maker can toggle in the 'CFG.sqf' and it enabling it means players can alert nearby AI of their presence when talking -- applies to all channels, except Vehicle. This description is also next to the setting.

8 hours ago, phronk said:

@icarium r_alertOn is a setting that the mission maker can toggle in the 'CFG.sqf' and it enabling it means players can alert nearby AI of their presence when talking -- applies to all channels, except Vehicle. This description is also next to the setting.

Ah, I over-read the AI part, my bad. Thanks!