Sgt Potter

STRV 103C - Swedish Cold war MBT mod.

1920px-Stridsvagn_103_Revinge_2013-1.jpg

The Stridsvagn 103 (STRV 103), also known as the S-Tank, was a Swedish post-war main battle tank. It was known for its unconventional design: it was turretless with a fixed gun traversed by engaging the tracks and elevated by adjusting the hull suspension. While turretless armoured fighting vehicles are usually classified as assault guns or tank destroyers, despite its unique gun laying process the Strv 103 is considered a tank because its designated combat role matched those of other tanks within contemporary Swedish doctrine. It is the only tank of any kind since World War II to dispense with a turret.

The Strv 103 was designed and manufactured in Sweden. It was developed in the 1950s and was the first main battle tank to use a turbine engine. The result was a very low-profile design with an emphasis on survivability and heightened crew protection level. Strv 103s formed a major portion of the Swedish armoured forces from the 1960s to part of the 1990s, when, along with the Centurions, it was replaced with the Stridsvagn 121 and the Stridsvagn 122.

Introduction

The mod in question is a 1960s Swedish Main Battle Tank with a unique design.

bFG9uNw.jpg?1

No turret and a fixed gun.

Madness you say? Indeed.

This tank was designed with defensive operations in mind, following Swedish army doctrine. Its unique design allowed a lower profile tank that was capable of digging itself into a hull down position (note the Fold-able bulldozer) to hold off against its enemy. Keep in mind that in the 1960's most tanks had no form of stabilizer as they do today, so the conventional tank had to stop to fire, so this left the 103 with no disadvantage to other tanks of its time and that is also the reason it was scrapped in 1997 replaced with a Swedish variant of the Leopard 2A5.

NAZFaw4.jpg

Tank in Arma 3

hCf0VVZ.jpg

Crew spot WIP.

The 103 was crewed by 3, A driver/gunner, a commander, and a systems operator. All 3 members could drive the tank (Systems operator only in reverse). No loader as the 103 had an AutoLoader with a 4 second reload time. 

The tank was powered by two engines, a diesel for slow cruising and maneuvering the tank in aiming, and by a Caterpillar turbine, it was the first use of a turbine engine in a production tank.

It armament Consisted of Bofors 105 mm L74 rifled gun with 50 rounds, its Secondary armament's were 2 fixed 7.62 mm KSP 58 (swedish FN MAG) machine guns 1 anti-aircraft 7.62 mm KSP 58 machine gun. An interesting point to note is that the tank is fired and aimed by the driver, but the commander also had the option to do this.
An interesting point to note is that the tank is fired and aimed by the driver, but the commander also had the option to do this too, it was possible to operate the 103 by one person.

Now on to the suspension, since the gun was fixed the whole tank had to move to aim at something, it did this by engaging the tracks and elevating by adjusting the hull suspension. Here is a video of it in action: http://youtu.be/HUPfnAbFlfU?t=116

Since my discovery of this tank, its has led to me actually wanting to see it in Arma 3 and I thought Id share the progress, I will have a working version in a few day's and I will want to test it, so tell me if your interested.

Misc:
More ingame photos:
http://imgur.com/a/ilt5o

Some extra reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103

Credits:

Burnes Armories: For all the heavy lifting and helping me add my dream tank into Arma 3. Without him none of this would be possible. you can check his other works here or his youtube

Arsenalen - The Swedish tank museum and there wonderful staff for allowing me access to the tank and not commenting on my girlish giggles. you can check them out here: http://arsenalen.se/en/

Bohemia for making Arma 3 - The best and most painful game I have ever played ;)

and the positive Arma Community as a whole

Download:

(note: this is a WIP mod)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0o9Eoipy1GjMHJZNDNoNFJ0S0U

Do not upload this mod outside of Biforums without express written permission from me, the only exception to this is www.Armaholic.com

I will not ever give permission for this modification to be hosted on ANY life modification servers.

• Like 15

Cannot load texture burnes_foxhound\data\jackal_mount_co.paa.

When placed in Editor. 

Really nice vehicle. Postet a bug in the quote box.

On 12/19/2016 at 6:26 PM, znooptokkie said:

Really nice vehicle. Postet a bug in the quote box.

Yes, we just forgot something, will try fix it for next time! :)

Do not hesitate to give feed back if you test this or use it in a mission!

Just now, sammael said:

awesome work. Is it planing other unique tank mod?

Next up is an IFV, CV9040 and CV9030.

• Like 2

Very nice!

Sure brings back memories since I was a mech on this back in the 80's :)

/KC

Nice one mate! Had a ride in one during the Swedish exercise "Sydfront" as a kid. Friggin awesome.

Nice!

I havent installed it yet, but the secondary arnment wasn't 3 fixed machineguns.. it was 2 fixed and the AA mounted one for the commander.. 
The two fixed guns was mounted in the box on the left side , and on the pictures above they have the rubber "stopper" in place.. on the first picture one is brownish and the other is green..  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bergmania71 said:

Nice!

I havent installed it yet, but the secondary arnment wasn't 3 fixed machineguns.. it was 2 fixed and the AA mounted one for the commander.. 
The two fixed guns was mounted in the box on the left side , and on the pictures above they have the rubber "stopper" in place.. on the first picture one is brownish and the other is green..  

Yes I learned this when I went to visit, It was crazy, I made a mistake in the post, it should be changed now, thanks! 

Really great work! Only thing I see are really weird smoothing groups (or normals?) on model.

18 hours ago, dontshootmemf!! said:

then you have seen this tank up close? The side armor seems almost made up of jerrycans? ... What it is inside fuel?

They are cans of diesel fuel for one of the engines, as well as added armor.

On 12/31/2016 at 1:00 AM, kllrt said:

Really great work! Only thing I see are really weird smoothing groups (or normals?) on model.

an you take a photo and link it?

• Like 2

What do you plan to make next? I personally hope for an Strv-2000.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Polyus said:

What do you plan to make next? I personally hope for an Strv-2000.

The intent is to do the STRF 9040, 9030, 90105, 90120 - T, and the STRB 90 but its all on hold at the moment for the foreseeable future. This looks interesting and down the line its a possibility.

• Like 2

No, any uploads found on Steam Workshop will receive a DMCA.

• Like 2

Is this still being worked on? Are you planning to ever release this to workshop now? Or do you consider this abandoned?

Please do not resurrect DEAD threads ... check the date of the last post then check the last time the author was on.  Anything over about 6months without any action is dead.  Welcome to the forums BTW !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1