Sign in to follow this  
dekster

MP PvP mission ending trigger and starting problems

I'm having my first go at Arma edditing and decided to make a PvP multiplayer series of missions.I'm a total noob at this and only have some abstract knowledge of programming.
I want to use vanila Arma 3 stuff only. (so no mods have to be installed by the player)

The concept
Team A starts holding a certain area, team B has to seize the area. They do this by raising their flag(s).

The things I don't know how to do is setting up when the game is finished.

I want team A to win the mission
-if they still have a majority of flags and the timer is finished

I want team B to win the mission

-If they lower and raise all flags in the area (the mission ends)

-If they have a majority of the flags and the timer is finished

I also would like team A to start on a certain location, but respawn from another after a player gets killed.
Extra conditions:
-if a slot is not taken, the character does not respawn on the starting location.
-if a player picks and empty slot as soon as the game runs for a X amount of time, he starts in at the respawn location where he goes when he dies.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Sorry, I do not understand which part of your mission you need help with. Could you elaborate on the following:

• Does your mission already contain the flags?
    • If so, can you tell which team has which flags?
  • Does your mission already have a timer?
  • Do you already have the start position working for team A?
  • Do you already have the respawn position picked for team A?

7 hours ago, dchan200 said:

Sorry, I do not understand which part of your mission you need help with. Could you elaborate on the following:

• Does your mission already contain the flags?
    • If so, can you tell which team has which flags?
  • Does your mission already have a timer?
  • Do you already have the start position working for team A?
  • Do you already have the respawn position picked for team A?
  • I don't have the flags placed on the map yet, but of course I have a specific location in mind. 
    All flags are held by team A at the start of the game.
    I want the flag change to take a certain amount of time. (like a progress bar) The player has to run up to the flagpole and start the switching in the action menu. While this runs, he/she mustn't walk away from the pole or the capturing will be canceled.
    Team B should have the possibility to recapture the flag in the same way during the game.

• No timer yet
  • No, the starting position is one of my questions, together with the joining condition.
  • The respawn position is set for both team A and B.

Interesting. I'll split up my thoughts into different topics. Hopefully others can chime in with their thoughts as well.

Flags:

Spoiler
  • Since you already have some locations in mind for the flags, I would put markers over those locations and give each of them a variable name. You could be fancy or you could just enumerate them: flag1, flag2, flag3, etc.
  • Flag changing action would probably use the addAction command assigned to each flag.
    • Would need to check if the player who pressed the flag is alive and near the flag for X amount of time.

Starting positions:

Spoiler
  • A simple way to do the starting positions would be to create each unit at its starting area through the editor.
    • Each unit would be set to playable.
    • However, you'll have to place each unit individually
  • More preferable way would be to use a marker or something like it

Respawn:

Spoiler
  • Unless there's something special you need, I think the BI respawn system with the BASE configuration (1, 2) would work.

Timer:

Spoiler

A bit of information to take in so I would suggest starting with the respawn and starting position first. If you have not done so, you should dePBO some missions you have played to use as a helpful guide.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dchan200 said:

Interesting. I'll split up my thoughts into different topics. Hopefully others can chime in with their thoughts as well.

Flags:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Since you already have some locations in mind for the flags, I would put markers over those locations and give each of them a variable name. You could be fancy or you could just enumerate them: flag1, flag2, flag3, etc.
  • Flag changing action would probably use the addAction command assigned to each flag.
    • Would need to check if the player who pressed the flag is alive and near the flag for X amount of time.

Starting positions:

Reveal hidden contents
  • A simple way to do the starting positions would be to create each unit at its starting area through the editor.
    • Each unit would be set to playable.
    • However, you'll have to place each unit individually
  • More preferable way would be to use a marker or something like it

Respawn:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Unless there's something special you need, I think the BI respawn system with the BASE configuration (1, 2) would work.

Timer:

Hide contents

A bit of information to take in so I would suggest starting with the respawn and starting position first. If you have not done so, you should dePBO some missions you have played to use as a helpful guide.

Thank you very much for helping me out so far.

You may want to look into the sector module which is included in the base game. If you use that module, I don't think you can make it so that a player has to activate an action on the flag pole to capture it: it would be more like capturing a point in the Battlefield series.

• Like 1

On 20-12-2016 at 7:42 PM, dchan200 said:

You may want to look into the sector module which is included in the base game. If you use that module, I don't think you can make it so that a player has to activate an action on the flag pole to capture it: it would be more like capturing a point in the Battlefield series.

I've used this in my map. Setup a small radius and a 10 to 1 ratio to capture it.

I still have problems figuring out the starting positions. I don't think placing each individual unit is a good idea since the missions are for up to 90 players.
I have the idea to setup squads and then let the squad start around a specific marker.

(I must admit this is all a lot harder than I expected :icon16: )

Good to hear you're using the sector module: that should cut down the amount of stuff you'll need to write and test. 

You've jumped into the deep end of mission editing since you want to create a multiplayer mission, but hang in there. If need be, narrow the scope of your mission and then scale it up later once the basic pieces have been implemented. 

Units and Starting Position

I think it is necessary to place all playable units somewhere on the map as units created after the mission has loaded (using createUnit) will not be selectable in the mission lobby. What I've seen some missions do is place those units in a safe area (ocean, sky, etc) and then teleport them (setPosATL) to the actual starting zone once the game starts: this process would be unnoticeable to the players.

To prevent all the players from piling up in the same spot in the starting zone, you could select a random position within the starting zone marker and then teleport the players there (or groups of players in case of a squad). Here's a thread in case you're interested in how to find a random position within a marker.

Squads

Interesting idea. How do you plan to allow squads to form? For example, would you group up each of the slots in the mission lobby according to the squads (ALPHA: slot 1 slot 2 slot 3; BRAVO: slot 4, slot 5, slot 6) and/or would the squads form after the mission has loaded?

I'm having trouble with the sectors.
Each tutorial has more options in the game logic box, but I'm just seeing this ?

20161224104648_1.jpg

Are you looking for the option to change the side (e.g., locations) and unit (e.g., area) of a game logic? If so, it seems each of the separate options can now be found under the Locations tab: Systems -> Logic Entities - > Locations in the editor.