14 minutes ago, five_seven5-7 said:

Where is the structural damage now that we have mach 1+ jets? A heavy loadout plane pulling to many GS when its traveling too fast should be consequences

Individual payload weight is not taken into consideration.

I know that, but why you can have the same agility in the CAS, regular jet and the stealth versions? Balance? Should be a trade off, I'm willing to take some damage in order to shoot down that superior plane

49 minutes ago, five_seven5-7 said:

I know that, but why you can have the same agility in the CAS, regular jet and the stealth versions? Balance? Should be a trade off, I'm willing to take some damage in order to shoot down that superior plane

So far, the only 'balance' seems to be weapon loadout. If you bring 8 GBU-12's then you can level a small village, but you are not going to shoot down many jets if they have AA missiles :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strike_NOR said:

So far, the only 'balance' seems to be weapon loadout. If you bring 8 GBU-12's then you can level a small village, but you are not going to shoot down many jets if they have AA missiles :)

Exactly, if you want to dominate the ground, well you cant dominate the air and vise versa. 

Is there any directive or BIKI article describing the model needs for hitpoints?  Should I presume they are similar to other hitpoints in that it needs:

- model.cfg section

- hit-points LOD selection
 - any visual LOD / shadow LOD selection

Does it need a matching selection in FireGEO?

Does it need definition in config.cpp class HitPoints?

Dear hitpoints enthusiasts,

I'm bringing you an update! I've been trying to balance some hitpoint values as I've promised earlier. They'll be coming with the next devbranch, and for now, affecting following planes:

• Wipeout (Plane_CAS_01)
  • Neophron (Plane_CAS_02)
  • Buzzard (Plane_Fighter_03)

The hull shouldn't be as weak as were the objections before, however I'll be happy for more feedback.

Remaining planes should be COMING SOON(tm). Next ones I'll focus on are the fighter jets coming with the DLC, Black Wasp, Shikra and Gryphon, so it can be tested all together, but please have patience with me :)

On 4/23/2017 at 0:55 AM, hcpookie said:

Is there any directive or BIKI article describing the model needs for hitpoints?  Should I presume they are similar to other hitpoints in that it needs:

- model.cfg section

- hit-points LOD selection
 - any visual LOD / shadow LOD selection

Does it need a matching selection in FireGEO?

Does it need definition in config.cpp class HitPoints?

Hello,

there is one article about hitpoints, https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Damage_Description, however, this one won't be that helpful I'm afraid :)
I've been tasked with creating such documentation for community (especially for Jets edition) and I'm really sorry that it's not yet done, seeing you've got the content to be seen in devbranch already. So I'll try to shed as much light as I can here, feel free to ask any questions.

Yes, they work the same as other hitpoints. Meaning, they need:

- selections in hitpoint LOD ("name" parameter in config)

- selections in visual LODs ("visual" parameter in config)

- names of selections in visual LODs in model.cfg sections

- HitPoints class in config.cpp

- change some of the animation sources

- no, selection in FireGeometry is not necessary

There are several hitpoint class names, which are supported by the engine and are used in the plane upgrades. Some of them have specific naming for the gameplay features.

• HitHull
  • HitEngine
  • HitEngine2
  • HitFuel
  • HitFuel2
  • HitAvionics
  • HitLAileron
  • HitRAileron
  • HitLCRudder
  • HitRRudder
  • HitLCElevator
  • HitRElevator

With HitAvionics, you'll need to make the animation for turning off the screen.

With any flight controls, you'll need to change some of the animation sources to the damage version. New engine sources for these purpose are following:

• aileronLeftDamaged
  • aileronRightDamaged
  • aileronTLeftDamaged
  • aileronBLeftDamaged
  • aileronTRightDamaged
  • aileronBRightDamaged
  • rudderLeftCenterDamaged
  • rudderRightDamaged
  • elevatorLeftCenterDamaged
  • elevatorRightDamaged

Note: AileronT and AileronB sources were used only for Wipeout for the air brakes, as they are on the ailerons

Once I'll have the documentation ready, I'll post the link here, but having my hands full right now, I'm sorry once again :)

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Asheara said:

Note: AileronT and AileronB sources were used only for Wipeout for the air brakes, as they are on the ailerons

Praise! I haven't been able to figure anything out since they were first introduced, this little guide just reduced that to like 10-20mins haha! Thankyou!

Quick questions..

1) Can the AileronT and AileronB be used apart from the Wipeout, as currently the F35 I'm working on uses the Ailerons, Flaps and Rudders at the same time as speed breaks, so I'm not too sure what to use or even do there. 

2) Is there like a HitGear hitpoint classname or anything? Not sure how we go about doing it for the gear. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

I see no problem in these sources to be used elsewhere, depends on the model, therefore it's difficult for me to give pointers, however - it was used only on Wipeout because it was the only one having airbrakes like that.

Originally, for the ailerons and subsequently the airbrakes were used following engine sources:

• aileron
  • aileronT
  • aileronB

Those have now also damage variants as written above, because it looked quite strange when you have damaged aileron, but the airbrakes part kept moving as if nothing had happened :D

I am not certain whether this reply was helpful, but... the sources exist, they are defined in the engine, and I see no reason why they couldn't be used elsewhere, it wasn't just exactly needed before :) Both sources written in this or previous posts are available for use, depending which one would be more suitable for you.

For the gear - no, there is no HitGear hitpoint at all. What is seen in the game as separate hitpoint category and possibility of damaging them is fully handled by the engine. I would compare it a bit to the lights - they are also not in the Hitpoints subclass.
I'm not certain how you have it configured, and whether it works, depending whether you have the physX wheels implemented on your plane.

• Like 4

In the jet showcase, I got a force landing without hook support. All stats were red and after a few seconds with the jet in rest, it exploded. Not all forced landings and crashes result in explosions like the movies.

So I just have to ask:

When flying jets showcase mission I noticed that when I shot neophron with guns it caught fire, but kept flying like normal for a few seconds. Then it exploded and started spiraling down. 

I made a rough carrier landing in the F/A181 later and caught fire. I was able to eject a few secs later and the jet exploded a little after I ejected.

Is this part of the engine damage model or was it simply a fire script for the mission?

I really enjoyed that feature and wish it was either default or a toggle feature in mission editor.

Could not find anything about it in the biki. 

Actually since most vehicles have a "fuel" Hitpoint it would be nice to have this effect on them as well. Fire is a real problem and is, to my knowledge, a lot more common than instant explosion. Look at tank wrecks, they are often just "burnt out". Jets, depending on design, usually catch fire quite easily from damage in real life.

For people with my taste it would greatly increase immersion, and also give you as a player that extra chance to bail out before certain explody death.

If fires are not implemented into engine, I can understand that, seeing that it does make damage more random/inconstitent. You have done outstanding work with the hitpoints for jets regarding the current solution! Thanks a lot!

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any engine functionality such as this. :( 
I've verified it with our programmers as well, and I certainly wouldn't mind to pimp the damage model to perfection. However, as far as I know it's not engine based, I don't have any parameters for such shinies, must have happened on the scripting level in the mission itself.

However, I agree it would be beautiful. There are still some things I'd like to do with these, but... I'm not good with the firebending ;)

giphy-3.gif

• Like 2

Hey guys ! Not really related to jets, but hitpoints in general. I noticed a destructionEffects class inside some hitpoints (like the winch from all helicopters, see for yourself inside the config viewer). Basically, it makes some sparks scatter in different directions after the destruction of said hitpoint. This is awesome !

Is it planned to be improved and deployed on all hitpoints ? It could be really nice to see some fire pop of the jet/heli engine when it's destroyed, and shut down a second later (like some sort of fire emergency shut down). Nice for player feedback ("oh, look I must've hit something important", also less binary than destroyed/not destroyed vehicles), and if it's done correctly it could make some really good visuals, something like :