oukej

Jets - Custom Panels (GPS, Camera feeds, ...)

On 4/15/2017 at 2:12 PM, higgins909 said:

How about you just put it into the cockpit of the vehicle instead of cluttering the UI?  Most of the guages/screens are just for show/some super low res.

From what I can tell this seems to be intentional -- time/effort on their part versus gameplay/modder benefit, especially for modders 'reviving' no longer supported community vehicles by writing config mods.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:12 PM, higgins909 said:

Also shouldn't give every person of the vehicle access to all the screens, say the gunner would get different from the driver.

This is possible, if not implemented yet.

I was kind of hoping this DLC would be the starting point to a new visual damage model. Like a wing being torn off in the 3d model without the damage state going to 1 and boom. The same i was expecting for the Tank DLC, like blowing off the tracks or a knocked turret. Maybe the changes would be more visual than functional but i think destructive models would breathe some new life to the 3d world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlostex said:

I was kind of hoping this DLC would be the starting point to a new visual damage model. Like a wing being torn off in the 3d model without the damage state going to 1 and boom. The same i was expecting for the Tank DLC, like blowing off the tracks or a knocked turret. Maybe the changes would be more visual than functional but i think destructive models would breathe some new life to the 3d world.

Well technically it is possible to have wings and shit rip off, just requires a quite a bit of config and model work. 

So feedback from tonight session, I've a lot to say:

- No radar alert (missile incoming) when your a gunner, even if you have the radar open. It should be present for both the pilot and the gunner cause you may have to take the control of the chopper.

- No zoom in the gunner view when in the pilot position. Impossible to follow what the gunner is looking. the thing is when your gunner and you display the gunner view, the Panel zoom when you zoom IRL, so I know it's possible. Please add the zoom view of all other view than your current seat. (like zoom of the gunner and the driver when you're commander, etc)

- No map/GPS Panel for the passenger in vehicle. On vehicle like Transport chopper, I can understand, but on ground vehicle like the Armed hunter, you only have 3 seat (driver, gunner and.... passenger). So the 3rd soldier is completely useless. Give the GPS panel for all the seat or turn all right front seat into commander/ or give them GPS Panel too

Something else not related to Panel display but more to chopper themselves, when your a pilot and you have a Human gunner (not a IA) you can't perform a manual fire. Is that a bug?

10 hours ago, S3blapin said:

- No radar alert (missile incoming) when your a gunner, even if you have the radar open. It should be present for both the pilot and the gunner cause you may have to take the control of the chopper.

In what situation? I've tried Blackfoot gunner vs. some AA Titans and I'm getting missile warnings correctly.

- No zoom in the gunner view when in the pilot position. Impossible to follow what the gunner is looking. the thing is when your gunner and you display the gunner view, the Panel zoom when you zoom IRL, so I know it's possible. Please add the zoom view of all other view than your current seat. (like zoom of the gunner and the driver when you're commander, etc)

This one is tricky. AI doesn't switch zoom levels (but they are considered for AI calculations), in MP it would require transfering this information from gunner player. So the zooming more or less remains for the pilotCamera views.

- No map/GPS Panel for the passenger in vehicle. On vehicle like Transport chopper, I can understand, but on ground vehicle like the Armed hunter, you only have 3 seat (driver, gunner and.... passenger). So the 3rd soldier is completely useless. Give the GPS panel for all the seat or turn all right front seat into commander/ or give them GPS Panel too

There isn't a good way to define specific properties per individual seats (unless they are person turrets aka firing from vehicles). GPS availability on different seats is a nice catch though!

Something else not related to Panel display but more to chopper themselves, when your a pilot and you have a Human gunner (not a IA) you can't perform a manual fire. Is that a bug?

It is intended, players shouldn't take over other players' actions.

• Like 2

Radar alert

We tried yesterday with a friend in the blackfoot. He spawn a AA team and a AA titan and I fly directly above them. They lock and launch missile at us. He was able to see the missile coming at us but didn't have any warning tone or red cone on the radar display.

Maybe it's because he wasn't actually piloting the chopper. In your test Di you actually fly the chopper in the gunner place or did you have a friendly pilot to do that?

Gunner camera zoom.

So it's complicated/too heavy for the server to transfer the information? So could you please zoom constantly this display? I mean, if you can't make the display zoom when the gunner zoom, make it fixed to max zoom constantly. It would be way better and usefull than the view we currently have 

GPS on all seat:

Yeah that would be really good to have access to GPS for all seats. How did you define whoch screen appear in which seat? Did you do that manually? The best way would be to allow access to the same screens for all seat.

Manual Fire:

Yes, I agree with that, but you could handle it the way you handle gunner/copilot takes control of the chopper.

Just put a list option for the gunner to unlock the firing command and then the pilot could do manual fire. This way the gunner can still control when the pilot has access to the weapon.

I suggest that because yesterday, I was able to lock a vehicle with the missile but my gunner wasn't able. So if I was able to take control I could have shoot that vehicle. Same problem with the Kajman. You can equip it with bomb. Th pilot has a nice HUD sight with point of impact but is not able to release the bomb... Thats quite annoying since the gunner don't have this.

And it could lead to some new mecanism for ground vehicle too (with the tank dlc for example). Like hunter-killer mecanism where the commander can "take control" of the turret and shoot it (in fact the turret will just try to match the target marked by the commander sight) :)

Anyway thanks for the answer

• Like 1

I have not read through the entire thread, so I will just post my "naive" idea:

Since TGP camera shows render distance fog when aircraft is on high altitudes.

Could it be possible to make TGP camera pick up view, as if it is placed at a distance that can be rendered, on the imagined line pointing from the real TGP to the desired target?

Aircraft and---------------------------------virtual camera-------target

REAL TGP                                        in PIP range

• Like 5

On 4/23/2017 at 0:39 AM, venthorror said:

Aircraft and---------------------------------virtual camera-------target

REAL TGP                                        in PIP range

That's an excellent idea, but it only really applies for high altitude because:

If you are flying low you may have this situation:

Aircraft and-----------Obstruction-------------------virtual camera-------target

REAL TGP                                                           in PIP range

Which may allow you to effectively "spectate/ghost" enemy vehicles from behind cover.

So the right way would be to detect obstructions like so:

Aircraft and-----virtual camera------Obstruction--------------------------target

REAL TGP        in PIP range

• Like 2

S3Blapin:

On 4/20/2017 at 11:56 AM, S3blapin said:

Radar alert.

He spawn a AA team and a AA titan and I fly directly above them. They lock and launch missile at us. He was able to see the missile coming at us but didn't have any warning tone or red cone on the radar display.

I believe this works just as it should. First of all the Titan AA is an IR (passive) guided missiles. This means the missile does not give out any radiation from its seekerhead that the blackfoot can detect. Therefore you should NOT receive a warning PRIOR to a missile launch. After launch is something else. If what you're saying is that it doesn't warn after launch then it has to be some bug. The missile gives off light in the UV and IR spectre due to the rocket motor energy. Which should show on the RWR/Sensor HUD.

make it fixed to max zoom constantly. It would be way better and usefull than the view we currently have

I agree with you on this one. A zoomed out low res PIP doesn't really do much use, not even for eye-candy :)

Th pilot has a nice HUD sight with point of impact but is not able to release the bomb...

Fixed unguided weapons like rockets and free-fall bombs should absolutely be controlled by Pilot by default IMHO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

I believe this works just as it should. First of all the Titan AA is an IR (passive) guided missiles. This means the missile does not give out any radiation from its seekerhead that the blackfoot can detect. Therefore you should NOT receive a warning PRIOR to a missile launch. After launch is something else. If what you're saying is that it doesn't warn after launch then it has to be some bug. The missile gives off light in the UV and IR spectre due to the rocket motor energy. Which should show on the RWR/Sensor HUD.

Sorry if it's not explained correctly, English isn't my native language ^^"

I'm totally fine with IR missile that don't give warning prior launch. My problem is the following.

My friend and I decided to test the radar capabilities with the blackfoot. I was the pilot and he was the gunner. We both had the radar up to follow what happen, etc.

He deployed some AA titan and infantry with MANPADS and my job was simple fly above them and try to dodge as many missile as I can.

When I get the first missile warning, I can clearly see it on my radar with the "M" symbol and the flashing red cone. But my friend in the gunner position didn't have this warning. For him, no missile was coming and if he didn't had a direct view of the incoming missile, he wouldn't even know that we were engaged.

I think it's mainly due to the fact that he was not the one who control the chopper.

I agree with you on this one. A zoomed out low res PIP doesn't really do much use, not even for eye-candy :)

Yes. I really hope we could get something better than what we currently have. :)

Fixed unguided weapons like rockets and free-fall bombs should absolutely be controlled by Pilot by default IMHO.

Yes I really don't understand why they did it like that!! And they should also allow the pilot to shoot all the weapon by using the same system used for piloting the chopper 

The gunner unlock the command of the weapon and the pilot cake control of them.

This way the pilot can fire an ATGM in case if the gunner don't manage to lock/see the target or is doing something else

1 hour ago, S3blapin said:

When I get the first missile warning, I can clearly see it on my radar with the "M" symbol and the flashing red cone. But my friend in the gunner position didn't have this warning. For him, no missile was coming and if he didn't had a direct view of the incoming missile, he wouldn't even know that we were engaged.

We are aware about an issue where the gunner doesn't hear the warning. But we can't reproduce an issue when the missile would be visible on sensors display only for the pilot and not the gunner. Any chance you could record a video from both perspectives pls?

• Like 1

I'll try to do that. I think I have a video of my friends in the gunner position where you can see the missile comING at us without warning tone.

I'll upload it and give you the link so you can take a look while we try to reproduce it. :)

On 4/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, oukej said:

It is intended, players shouldn't take over other players' actions.

I can understand this however is it possible to have Manual Fire configured in the same way the Release Controls function works?

This way a gunner could 'unlock' the Manual Fire option for the pilot who could take control of fixed weapons (DARs for example) and use them himself before passing the weapons back.  At any point the gunner could 'lock' controls and return control of the weapons to himself.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2016 at 6:03 AM, oukej said:

Navigation ... - the navigation is now rotating.

I quickly skimmed over the comments, so I may have missed one similar to this. What about a config option to disable the rotation and rotate the player marker instead? (how the GPS currently works). It's something I would prefer to the new method and seems like a personal preference sort of option like customising the positioning of UI elements.

Disregard if somebody already mentioned this :)

1 hour ago, destruktoid said:

I quickly skimmed over the comments, so I may have missed one similar to this. What about a config option to disable the rotation and rotate the player marker instead? (how the GPS currently works). It's something I would prefer to the new method and seems like a personal preference sort of option like customising the positioning of UI elements.

Disregard if somebody already mentioned this :)

They've accounted for this. In addition to changing which panel is showing, panels can also have modes. GPS panel allows you to switch between rotating and static modes, and other panels like radar lets you toggle range, camera panels let you toggle vision modes if available, and so on. The only thing that I would add is another keybind so you can move through the modes in both directions.

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I can't find any specific details.

So it's been said that we won't be able to resize the left / right panels in the layout editor like we could with the old GPS.

Why can't we? Is it a limitation with PIP scaling or something?

I would absolutely love the ability to make the panels a little larger without having to change the whole interface size setting. I play with the interface size set to small, and all the other UI elements are the perfect size (e.g. weapons / aircraft info at the top of the screen), but some parts of the left / right panels are just darn hard to read (e.g. the text on the radar / sensor display).

22 minutes ago, CNutter said:

So it's been said that we won't be able to resize the left / right panels in the layout editor like we could with the old GPS.

Why can't we? Is it a limitation with PIP scaling or something?

It's a limitation of sharing the same resource for left/right. We could eventually allow resizing that resizes both panels at the same time. We've tried it but we've run into issues with the customization menu itself.

• Like 4

Is it possible in the gps, to continue to see the player icon in the dark sides of the outer border. Its to easy to lost the orientation and tracking especially in the jet showcase.

15 minutes ago, five_seven5-7 said:

Is it possible in the gps, to continue to see the player icon in the dark sides of the outer border. Its to easy to lost the orientation and tracking especially in the jet showcase.

How? I mean seriously, you got a bearing indicator in the HMD, just do a 180.

Cheers

Don't be a grumpy :grinning:. 180 isn't always a solution, if you fly in a parallel line to your goal even if is a clicks away...

I'd like a way to zoom in/out on the map in the MFD, as it is difficult to orient sometimes to different objectives when flying, as the map only zooms out so far.  I do like the option given for north up and nose up orientation though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

How do we hook the GPS display now?

Not possible afaik. See the following: 

Regarding mine detector "radar" vs. "beep" detector - why not have both? Let the mission designer choose (and if he doesnt want to he can let the player choose).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, x3kj said:

Regarding mine detector "radar" vs. "beep" detector - why not have both? Let the mission designer choose (and if he doesnt want to he can let the player choose).

I posted something similar on the general dev branch thread, since i'm not a fan of the "mine radar" and would rather a beeping noise, like the mod we currently have enabled on our community server allows.

To quote myself:

Maybe make two additional mine detector classes, one that makes beeping noises, and one that has the mine sensor. There was reportedly a conflict with some mods that use MineDetector for other things, and adding new classes should solve that.

Of course, if it's enabled via script command or server config (maybe as a difficulty setting) then that's cool too.