oukej

Jets - Custom Panels (GPS, Camera feeds, ...)

It's pretty representative of the way real mine detectors work. More advanced models can also display a "minimap", but a basic detector depends on signal strength, which can be translated to distance. Of course, a basic detector won't give you a signal from 15m off, but I don't know what the more advanced ones can do.

Ideally, it would require you to equip a detector like you would a weapon and show the data in a diegetic panel, but what we have now is a definite improvement.

• Like 2

Love the new mine detection info panel. But 15m is a bit far isn't it?

2 hours ago, R3vo said:

But 15m is a bit far isn't it?

Considering that most vehicles and infantry do not have a mine detector at all, i'm okay with that. Maybe 10m would suffice, but having to walk directly by it would be too "much" for arma i think. Also remember that all mines in arma are visible if you look close enough. So having a mine detector with 3m for example would be a bit silly, as you are equally capable to see them with your eyes at that range.

Only thing that should be checked is wether or not the thing detects them through walls and objects, which would be unfortunate.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, x3kj said:

Considering that most vehicles and infantry do not have a mine detector at all, i'm okay with that. Maybe 10m would suffice, but having to walk directly by it would be too "much" for arma i think. Also remember that all mines in arma are visible if you look close enough. So having a mine detector with 3m for example would be a bit silly, as you are equally capable to see them with your eyes at that range.

Only thing that should be checked is wether or not the thing detects them through walls and objects, which would be unfortunate.

What if mines are in the grass? Tripwires are especially good at hiding

Wouldn't it be possible to give the mine detector a 3 meter range and display mines up to 15 meters only if they are visible from the camera view? This could be indicated by different coloured dots and an inner circle (3meters)

Not sure though if that is in the scope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R3vo said:

Wouldn't it be possible to give the mine detector a 3 meter range and display mines up to 15 meters only if they are visible from the camera view? This could be indicated by different coloured dots and an inner circle (3meters)

I think developers can add mine detector configuration to the EDEN Editor like they did with other sensors :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R3vo said:

Please keep in mind that a distance of 3m a running player who isn't focusing 100% attention on their mine detector is going to run over the mines before they even have a chance to see it on the detector.  At 15m a player running has a small amount of time to be switching their focus between the game-space (eg your first person and ADS modes) and their mine detector UI.

It's about giving players a small chance to actually see the mines on the detector while running.  Unless of course you're advocating that everyone should be walking?

The only other solution would be to implement an audible tone when a mine is present on the detector.

BI: not sure if this is intended but the mine detector UI is usable whilst in a vehicle.  As per my point above this can be balanced as the detection radius is only 15m which is not enough for a vehicle doing any speed other than barely rolling.

• Like 1

I think that a 3m range should be fine. Of course, that means you will be walking all the time... when in a minefield, anyway. Generally, you search for mines in places where you suspect the mines to be. Don't expect to be running around and still be able to look for them, that'd be silly. Minesweeping does generally require 100% of your attention, you know? On the other hand, mines are generally placed where there's a chokepoint or something to defend (they can also be placed on the roads, but ArmA lacks any kind of "road clutter" and junk that usually litters roads in war zones, making any road mines and IEDs painfully obvious). When approaching such a location and when you know that the enemy might be using mines, you should proceed with caution. If it were up to me you'd have to switch to the detector and sweep it along the ground like in reality.

An audible warning would be nice, as well. Real detectors do have that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Guys, It's always personal to have such features. Some people like realistic gameplay, some not. As I've said, It'd be better to have an option to configurate mine detector's capabilities in editor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dragon01 said:

I think that a 3m range should be fine. Of course, that means you will be walking all the time... when in a minefield, anyway. Generally, you search for mines in places where you suspect the mines to be. Don't expect to be running around and still be able to look for them, that'd be silly. Minesweeping does generally require 100% of your attention, you know? On the other hand, mines are generally placed where there's a chokepoint or something to defend (they can also be placed on the roads, but ArmA lacks any kind of "road clutter" and junk that usually litters roads in war zones, making any road mines and IEDs painfully obvious). When approaching such a location and when you know that the enemy might be using mines, you should proceed with caution. If it were up to me you'd have to switch to the detector and sweep it along the ground like in reality.

An audible warning would be nice, as well. Real detectors do have that sort of thing.

Good sir I see we are engaged in a debate of game-play vs realism.

Any chance we could also get a "GBU 12 CAM" ? It's sometimes impossible to see whether the bomb hit its target or not, a  CAM would really help with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Any chance we could also get a "GBU 12 CAM" ? It's sometimes impossible to see whether the bomb hit its target or not, a  CAM would really help with that.

Now that is a question :) In our current setup of PGMs the camera isn't purrfectly authentic on any asset. Initially we thought we'd have it just for AGMs. So... Bombs too? AAs? ;)

• Like 7

I'd say yes if possible for bombs to simulate a TGP view for BDA.  AA?  meh you can usually see your Smoke trail and other fighter craft to get a decent idea if an AA hit or not.

32 minutes ago, oukej said:

Now that is a question :) In our current setup of PGMs the camera isn't purrfectly authentic on any asset. Initially we thought we'd have it just for AGMs. So... Bombs too? AAs? ;)

the idea of a bomb cam seems pretty sweet. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oukej said:

Truth be told, I use the missile CAM quite rarely. The missiles are locked anyway and hit their target more often than not, where bombs, especially when a noob like me is flying hit very poorly ;)

So yes, please bombs too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, oukej said:

I hate to say it but  please no. Agms you can say they have an IIR or other optical sensor with an uplink but gbus dont for the most part, gbu 15/130 would be an exemption as they are IIR seekers with an uplink for pilot/copilot terminal guidance. Very few missiles or pgms have a camera relay. Definitely not for AAMs SAMs or AT. But thats me i guess. 

R3vo not being a dick but can i ask how the cam helps you more than the target pod? 

52 minutes ago, snoops_213 said:

R3vo not being a dick but can i ask how the cam helps you more than the target pod? 

I yet have to figure out how to properly utilise the target pod.

• Like 1

This looks like something that would be best added as a difficulty option. Missile cam is available on some systems (usually those you can steer manually), but it's by no means a common feature on small missiles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

This looks like something that would be best added as a difficulty option. Missile cam is available on some systems (usually those you can steer manually), but it's by no means a common feature on small missiles.

According to configs it's dependent on the vehicle and the missile ammo.

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

This is known as Man In The Loop weapon systems. What we like to call TV-Guided missiles.

They were more common before TGP's came into service, because they gave a "closer look" at the target before impact and allowed last minute adjustments. TGP's have completely replaced the need for weapon camera links where the release platform may always retain line of sight to target. Some cruise missiles and standoff weapons still have that feature so you can make final adjustments and/or divert attack in case of bad intel etc.

So realistically speaking : No (for AA, AGM and GBU-12.)

Gameplay? May give unfair advantage because you can confirm hit and assume target is dead instead of relying on sensors. It's almost like spectating the enemy while playing if you ask me.

should be server/difficulty option IMHO.

9 hours ago, R3vo said:

I yet have to figure out how to properly utilise the target pod.

You use it the same way you use a UAV.

How about you just put it into the cockpit of the vehicle instead of cluttering the UI?  Most of the guages/screens are just for show/some super low res.

Give tank drivers and gunners more of a cockpit like the commander in say the strider.  They can zoom into the road or their gun, zoom out to look at their gauges/screens.

Also shouldn't give every person of the vehicle access to all the screens, say the gunner would get different from the driver.

Sigh...  I wish effort was being put into fixing the Vehicles and Aircraft, but I guess we need more problems down the road, that won't get fixed either.

On 4/14/2017 at 6:44 AM, R3vo said:

if its using already-detected mines I think its fine to show where they are precisely

but it should not be showing undetected mines until the player is very close and witihn visual range

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/detectedMines

I just test the change this weekend and I have some stuff to point.

First, that's amazing, continue in this direction, you're the best. :)

Then for the suggestion:

- Could we have the real view of the turret, inside the sight rather than just the "head" view. Or at least, when the gunner is zomming make the display zoom too.

- Can you remove the close display from appearing in the "next/previous" display list? We already have a bind to do that, so it's useless and not really practical. At least give us the option to remove it. :)

- I don't know if it's here or other to discuss about that, but I had huge trouble to navigate between the target pinned by the radar. When I press "next target" sometimes it switch to another target sometimes it don't switch, sometimes it will switch to a target once and then you won't be able to switch back on it, even if you can see it on the radar display.

- a bomb view like a missile view... it's needed... really ^^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S3blapin said:

- Can you remove the close display from appearing in the "next/previous" display list? We already have a bind to do that, so it's useless and not really practical. At least give us the option to remove it. :)

Sounds like a bug. There should be only "next panel" entry in the action menu and that only if you don't have it bound to any key.

2 hours ago, S3blapin said:

- I don't know if it's here or other to discuss about that, but I had huge trouble to navigate between the target pinned by the radar. When I press "next target" sometimes it switch to another target sometimes it don't switch, sometimes it will switch to a target once and then you won't be able to switch back on it, even if you can see it on the radar display.

Every other keypress it returns to the "priority" target (as evaluated by the systems). WIP improvements so you can cycle targets more seamlessly.

• Like 2