oukej

Jets - Custom Panels (GPS, Camera feeds, ...)

Something related to discuss:

- what else would you expect in minimap? (navigation, units)

- do you need something else for custom scripted display?

- something else you miss?

I don't know if this has been answered, and I don't recall seeing it on the Wiki regarding all the new targeting/sensors/datalinking.

Will radar distance display be customisable for modders?  Currently there looks to be a max radar display of 12 KM.  If a modder sets his sensors to have a longer range than this, targets will not show up on the radar display, correct?
At greater than 12KM, but within custom sensor targeting ranges, the vehicle should be able to be locked on to, but just will not show up on the 12 KM capped radar display?

Will the radar display be capped at that 12 KM range display, or can a modder change that to whatever they want for their mod?

3 hours ago, dr. hladik said:

1) in minimap screen it would be cool to have a "terrain avoidance" mode. Idk how feasible that is or performance intensive that would be. Essentially a mode where you only see the heigth map. All parts of the heigthmap that are above current ASL should be filled with color / some fill pattern, the rest should be displayed dark.

2) C-scope display mode would be nice to have ( http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/ew-radar-handbook/images/imgv6D.gif )

3) Some way to achieve visual interference to certain displays via external means. (e.g. the visual cameras with white noise, or the radar with some other noise /flickering). Would be usefull in case of external jamming script or component damage for example. I'm not a gui guru, so maybe this is already possible in an easy manner?

4) (not custom display, sensor rather) A way to extract all, or just specific radar information via script, so it can be utilized in custom interfaces (e.g. simplified Radar warning receivers like in old soviet aircraft - e.g. Mig21) or processed further with external scripts

One issue with the current GPS is that roads disappear at high (might be 140-150kph?) speeds. This is fine in itself, but many of the lighter vehicles are able to go above this speed, and losing navigation when you're driving down a road at 180kph can be a bit of a pain.

2 hours ago, ski2060 said:

I don't know if this has been answered, and I don't recall seeing it on the Wiki regarding all the new targeting/sensors/datalinking.
Will radar distance display be customisable for modders? 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Custom_Info#Properties
Look for SensorsDisplay >> Range

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ski2060 said:

@oukej  So Display range and Radar range will be fully custom capable.  Awesome!

I'd also point out that at one point the max was 8 km, but for kicks I got it to 16 km in a config mod... the only reason that it's set to 12 km right now is because that's the current range on the passive radar sensor template from which the non-civilian aircraft are inheriting. Please also distinguish between marking and locking, because (as previously mentioned) a missile's lock parameters are separate from its sensors' detect/track parameters.

10 hours ago, dr. hladik said:

Would it be possible to manually re-size the new info screens? Like we could with the old GPS window? 

11 hours ago, dr. hladik said:

Main thing to consider is people not knowing how to switch displays on the minimap. I think the controls to change should be on the display in a text box, at least initially (for the first few months). There are lots of systems even now that are available but players don't know about the controls. I don't think a once-off hint will be enough to teach.

Also, I think it would be good if the Squad Radar was implemented in the minimap display.

11 hours ago, darkChozo said:

One issue with the current GPS is that roads disappear at high (might be 140-150kph?) speeds. This is fine in itself, but many of the lighter vehicles are able to go above this speed, and losing navigation when you're driving down a road at 180kph can be a bit of a pain.

Also, having the roads on can help navigation in helicopters and often even planes, so having the roads on all the time could be quite useful.

5 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

Would it be possible to manually re-size the new info screens? Like we could with the old GPS window? 

I am sorry, not in this vanilla setup and not via in-game UI layout customization. Loss of resizing is the new system's drawback.
However it's possible in config to adjust panels' positions per vehicle and panels' sizes per resource.

13 hours ago, x3kj said:

A way to extract all, or just specific radar information via script, so it can be utilized in custom interfaces (e.g. simplified Radar warning receivers like in old soviet aircraft - e.g. Mig21) or processed further with external scripts

It should be possible using just the config :)
Take a look at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Custom_Info#Properties, SensorsDisplay >> showTargetTypes. You can also check the RscCustomInfoSensor resource and create your own instead of it. Define your own symbology, use red dots instead of the warning sectors, etc.

5 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Main thing to consider is people not knowing how to switch displays on the minimap.

Agreed. We need to address that at least for the Main branch release.

1 hour ago, oukej said:

It should be possible using just the config :)
Take a look at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Custom_Info#Properties, SensorsDisplay >> showTargetTypes. You can also check the RscCustomInfoSensor resource and create your own instead of it. Define your own symbology, use red dots instead of the warning sectors, etc.

Thats nice, but still leaves the "process further" part completely out of the question. And imo this is the biggest weakpoint of the old and also new "intel" system - there is no way to access it from the outside. Everytime a modder wants to add new functionality to models/scripts/missions based on information (be it processing info for other means, displaying via alternative methods, or various other things), he has to write his own intel system from scratch.

10-02-2017 
EXE rev. 140343 (game) 
EXE rev. 140343 (launcher)  

DATA  

• Tweaked: Field of View in aircraft is no longer scaled according to their speed (WIP)

I know it's not strictly sensor/custom info related but would certainly help with situational awareness - would it be possible to have FOV sliders for different scenarios - eg 

• FOV on foot.
  • FOV in ground vehicle.
  • FOV in air vehicle.

2 edits for Jets camera mode.

Hotkeys to move the camera while in flight mode.

http://imgur.com/a/JD5Fi

I.E. be able to control the jet with wsad, be able to control the camera with p;l' (or something of the sort, even leave it unbind)

Ability to switch camera tracking modes.
Current: As the jet moves, the camera moves with it.
2nd: Track ground - Keeps lock on ground, any input simply moves it more along the ground.
2nd: PT2, when locked on a vehicle, it'll track the vehicle until you lose sight of said vehicle. (either by the jet obstructing camera itself, or by object/terrain)

For example, the current A-10C is a perfect example of this. (including proof of concept + real world application)

When it's not slew, camera is subject to adjust by anything the plane does.. even by simply fliying. When it's slew (green border around it) - it'll stay locked to target location till told to move.
That way you can easily make maneuvers, without having to constantly adjust the camera just to keep it in place.

P.S. love the new updates. <3 Never thought I would ever see Arma falling in line with DCS, but now I see it's actually possible.
P.S.S. Thank you for letting us be able to adjust the plane while in camera mode. (Ctrl+Right Click)

2 hours ago, zebby5000 said:

Ability to switch camera tracking modes.
Current: As the jet moves, the camera moves with it.
2nd: Track ground - Keeps lock on ground, any input simply moves it more along the ground.
2nd: PT2, when locked on a vehicle, it'll track the vehicle until you lose sight of said vehicle. (either by the jet obstructing camera itself, or by object/terrain)

This is already in the game, default keybind is Ctrl-T. Works in the pilot camera, as well as in drones, and will lock on to ground or vehicles depending on what you're pointing at. It's not tutorialized at all though, I'm pretty sure the only way you're going to learn about it is external guides.

Still a bit awkward to use though, since it's difficult to control the pilot camera and fly at the same time. Some sort of autopilot would be useful, though I believe BI have already said they don't plan for one in the Jets update.

• Like 1

Woo! Today's update added, amongst Other things:
Tweaked: Sensor displays now have 4 range modes (e.g. 4km, 2km, 16km, 8km) 
And new sensors to AA Titan (IR)  and Zephyr(Radar)

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, dr. hladik said:

In terms of units displayed on map\minimap, can you make it so that friendly units instead of showing their generic name on hover (i.e. "Rifleman", "Grenadier", etc) would show their names instead?

For minimap, it would be nice to have grouped units displayed on it, as well as maybe location of tactical ping. Oh, how about having custom waypoint direction displayed on borders of minimap until it comes into view?

5 hours ago, x3kj said:

On a side note - the issue with the "too detailed, uncluttered information" is not isolated to old/new sensors. It also applies to TI and NV view since they exist in Arma - they are also crystal clear and have extreme contrast - making them much more powerfull than they would be IRL.

You know that the all-seeing capabilities of the TI stuff can be mitigated by changing the time of year right?  During some parts of the Arma calendar TI is near useless.

Agreed though that it is far more advanced than IRL and many threads have been posted about it.

5 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

During some parts of the Arma calendar TI is near useless.

When does that happen for example?  Default date is July 12 o clock... summer time in altis - and its still with extreme contrast between man and ground for example. It surprises me that there isnt even an ambient temperature value that one could read easily

Bug (i'd say): when an active radar unit was destroyed, the "dark grey" icon still shows as emitting radar. CAS planes also showed the destroyed units still on their display for longer range compared to those units that got destroyed but had radar turned off. This should not happen.

As far as I can tell there is no way to access most of the new custom info displays via scripts. Would be nice if RscCustomInfoMiniMap for example used:

onLoad = "[""onLoad"", _this, ""RscCustomInfoMiniMap"", ""IGUI""] call (uiNamespace getVariable 'BIS_fnc_initDisplay')";

That way the displays would be stored in the uiNamespace and be accessible for scripters. Useful for drawing custom icons on the minimap like we can on the current stable build.

Not sure if this is the place to say this. It's not related to jets but related to custom info. 

I just realised that if you are on foot and have a mine detector, you can use the custom info panels to display mine detector's sensor. Now life is much simpler when playing at veteran difficulty :)

An unexpect gift, a very satisfying gift. Thanks, you just made my day, more specifically, my birthday. Thanks BI!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, martin_lee said:

Not sure if this is the place to say this. It's not related to jets but related to custom info. 

I just realised that if you are on foot and have a mine detector, you can use the custom info panels to display mine detector's sensor. Now life is much simpler when playing at veteran difficulty :)

An unexpect gift, a very satisfying gift. Thanks, you just made my day, more specifically, my birthday. Thanks BI!

Dude I am so happy you stumbled across this.  I have been wishing and hoping that BI would actually make the Mine detector a little bit more entertaining to have than the current stable branch usage.

Here's a screenshot showing the UI for the mine detector:
57943141293526581563C5AB9B9A799E1818660D

• Like 5

The new mine detector UI looks neat, though it makes it even easier to find mines now, especially since it has a range of 15m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

The new mine detector UI looks neat, though it makes it even easier to find mines now, especially since it has a range of 15m.

It depends mate.  If the settings are done so that the red triangles do not appear (based on difficulty settings) then despite knowing that a mine is 15m away you still have to visually find it.  This is a significant improvement over magically detecting every single mine instantly and having red triangles appear on them for all to see OR having absolutely 0 idea where a mine is other than hearing your character say "there's a mine over there".

I loved your mine sweeper script R3vo by the way.

• Like 1