Thats not true. What matters is contrast over the background. If you increase the surface area 100 times but have the same total heat radiated you are much less successfull in beeing able to detect it.

A IR flare does not produce the same amount of heat in total that a jet engine in full afterburn radiates. It burns hotter however (higher temperature over surface) -> higher temperature compared to jet engine. Which is what worked against early IR seekers. Nowadays there are algorithms to distinguish between such different objects.

This all looks fantastic, been playing around on dev branch and it's like a whole new game. Two questions on future plans:

1) Are there any plans to expand the scripting api to allow more in depth "Emission Control"? By that I mean that having the ability add radar functionality to map and editor placed objects which don't otherwise have radar properties defined in config such as radar domes would be splendid. Also being able to fine tuning things like range, which side they broadcast to, etc.

2) Are there any plans to refine/integrate the the group indicators functionality, possibly make it a bit more realistic by limiting it to GPS equipped infantry and mimic vehicle transponders rather than just having it tied to the group leader?

Can someone answer me- new sensor cam UI have pip distance limitation  or not ? 

On 4/8/2017 at 1:31 AM, oukej said:
On 4/3/2017 at 9:20 PM, PredatorPie said:
  • Slaving TGP to boresight

Num 5. You're welcome ;) (If you have a target marked, then Num 5 will take you to your target instead)

What's the action called in options? I can't find it. Is it on DEV branch yet?

Edit: I found it is connected to center look action which makes sense, but it is only working (snapping to locked target) after snapping to ground area first, and then pressing num 5.

Also you have to be in the TGP camera for this to work.

Can it be made to work without having to enter full view TGP?

Edited by venthorror
more info added

10 hours ago, Cenwulf said:

1) Are there any plans to expand the scripting api to allow more in depth "Emission Control"? By that I mean that having the ability add radar functionality to map and editor placed objects which don't otherwise have radar properties defined in config such as radar domes would be splendid. Also being able to fine tuning things like range, which side they broadcast to, etc.

Currently it's possible by making the radar itself a vehicle with sensors and dlink. It's definitely an interesting idea.
As for tuning sensor ranges via object attributes - I'm afraid that won't be possible, sorry about that.

10 hours ago, Cenwulf said:

2) Are there any plans to refine/integrate the the group indicators functionality, possibly make it a bit more realistic by limiting it to GPS equipped infantry and mimic vehicle transponders rather than just having it tied to the group leader?

We've still had some plans re the abandoned squad radar.

6 hours ago, venthorror said:

Edit: I found it is connected to center look action which makes sense, but it is only working (snapping to locked target) after snapping to ground area first, and then pressing num 5.

Also you have to be in the TGP camera for this to work.

Can it be made to work without having to enter full view TGP?

Atm we don't plan to make TGP controllable outside of the full scr. view, again sorry about that :/

• Like 1

Would that be possible to make airport radars visible on RWR at pretty much any range? I don't know from how far real aircraft can pick them up, but since they tend to be pretty powerful, I'd figure that they'd be easily spotted from quite a long distance. This could have some utility for orientation.

35 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Would that be possible to make airport radars visible on RWR at pretty much any range? I don't know from how far real aircraft can pick them up, but since they tend to be pretty powerful, I'd figure that they'd be easily spotted from quite a long distance. This could have some utility for orientation.

That math is easy and not terribly sensitive.  1.5x the distance from the source (forgetting any ducting).  It's actually a nice idea.

Anyone else having trouble locking radar targets with blackwasp? It seems to work sometimes and not others, and weapon locking (AA) seems to be a bit sketchy too, sometimes i'll lock the target but the missile wont lock it when its in range, i have to cycle through my weapons and when i come back to A2A missiles it will usually start locking but not always. The new Opfor plane won't use AG weapons against SAMs it prefers its cannon lol. And A2A MR weapons  need to have their range increased slightly please , and the seeker heads on the 9X and AMRAAM D are way to prone to countermeasures. I also noticed in the Blackwasp cockpit that the weapon panel displays weapons that aren't even in the game(yet hopefully HARM SDB looking at you!)

• Like 1

What targets where you trying to lock on to?  The Shikra stealth has a smaller RCS and is hard to lock onto with your Radar locking missiles. You have to get within a KM or 2 for them to lock on.   And IR missiles you have to get almost right behind them and close.

Love the new jets, but for some reason i cant engage any targets.

I i press "T" i cant lock any target. 

Switched Radar on. Just placed me in a jet and some tanks and AA vehicles, but no luck with locking and engaging them^^=)

Will theses Jets be able to create a sonic boom? I am currently in the dev branch and I haven't noticed it yet. Also, I noticed I can't engage targets beyond visual range, why is that?

- Is there a reason why only the wipeout shows where TGP is pointing / area locked on the sensor window and with a specific HUD icon?  In the new jets there is no visual cone that shows where TGP is pointed or any icon on the HUD that shows the point where it is area locked.   

- On wipeout when TGP is area locked there is an indicator that shows up in the HUD (dashed circle) that shows the specific point on the ground to line up for CCIP or gun runs (very useful).   When this area locked point is out of HUD FOV (either left or right ) there should be an indicator (maybe on the heading tape) to indicate which way to turn to bring the area lock point into the HUD FOV.  Can this be added? 

- Does radar only work for Air targets?  I could not get the Radar to find or lock ground targets.  Maybe ground targets are laser and IR / TGP indicated and locked only.

Thx

2 hours ago, CANADAVE said:

- Does radar only work for Air targets?  I could not get the Radar to find or lock ground targets.  Maybe ground targets are laser and IR / TGP indicated and locked only.

Is this in the Wipeout?  If so it does not have a radar at all.  Neither does the To-199.

Question, can some one explain to me how this will effect the ground vs air game? Mainly with AA tanks?

33 minutes ago, silentghoust said:

Question, can some one explain to me how this will effect the ground vs air game? Mainly with AA tanks?

AA can turn off its active radar and hide.

AA can hide under trees and foliage thus making it harder for aircraft to find it.

Aircraft (If they have it) can turn off their active radar and hide.

Aircraft now have TGP Cameras so they can find stuff with the eye rather than sensors.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

AA can hide under trees and foliage thus making it harder for aircraft to find it.

Aircraft now have TGP Cameras so they can find stuff with the eye rather than sensors.

It's so awesome.  Got me giddy like a school girl!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Is this in the Wipeout?  If so it does not have a radar at all.  Neither does the To-199.

I was not able to see a manually placed ground unit on any new jet radar in the editor. 

1 hour ago, CANADAVE said:

I was not able to see a manually placed ground unit on any new jet radar in the editor. 

Odd.

I just tested the Wipeout, F-181 and the A-149 and while the Wipeout didn't have a radar it still picked up targets once they entered the visual and IR ranges.  The 2 radar equipped jets picked up stationary and moving targets reasonably quickly.

2 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

So if a AA tank kept it's engines off IR won't necessary  lock on tell it's guns get hot or something? 

Just now, silentghoust said:

So if a AA tank kept it's engines off IR won't necessary  lock on tell it's guns get hot or something? 

If AA stayed perfectly still, no engine with Active Radar turned off the only way to find it is to actually see it with your own eyes. Pretty sure anyway I haven't actually tested that idea

LGB's are far simpler in my opinion. They have no propulsion and so do not require the firing platform to "set up" within the missiles capabilities in order to guarantee a hit. The thing that makes LGB's different though is that they usually only guide the last few seconds before impact. This means that the pilot essentially drops it with CCIP (continuously calculated impact point) or CCRP (continuously calculated release point), as if it were a "dumb bomb". The result of this is that the bomb follows a ballistic trajectory towards the target area and does not guide. The TGP of the aircraft does not emit laser energy until the last few seconds before impact. The laser then goes active and the bomb picks it up, meaning that if the bomb is off-course, it will adjust towards the laser in the terminal flight phase.

The reason that an LGB normally never guides from the start, is that the laser guidance system is quite crude. It will basically zig-zag in and out of the reflected laser energy, causing massive drag and reduced range. The other reason, of course, is not to alert enemies of your laser guided bomb until the very last possible moment.

Some huge advantages of LOAL is that if the designator is by FAC, the aircraft dropping the bomb can go defensive immediately after release. You can also "lob"/"loft" bombs over hills or terrain (which means dropping the bomb in an upwards trajectory so you "throw" it into a trajectory. Although this is seldom or never practiced with LGB's, there are other GBU types, such as JDAM (GPS) guided bombs, that are excellent for this purpose. Naturally, since you can't see the target during these attacks, they are commonly used on buildings because they have a low probability of moving around. :)

Very informative and one of the more interesting comments I've ready in a while. Thanks.
  • Like 1

I must say, the animated radar on top of the Cheetah/Tigris that spins if radar is switched to active is a nice touch!

• Like 4

Does the sensor indicates if targets are below or above us?

Shouldn't exist the incoming missile threat, because of that we know when to deploy flares. Only a warning when a missile was launch and their position.

Shouldn't we able to lock friendly, heat signature it's the same, but mark them with a cross instead of the square symbol.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2017 at 9:49 PM, oukej said:

Currently it's possible by making the radar itself a vehicle with sensors and dlink. It's definitely an interesting idea.

Thanks for the reply, I think this would be a great addition. I did previously try to simulate this by placing an AA vehicle inside a radar dome structure, not had much success as the vehicle needs to be manned and hideObject or disableSimulation also disables radar and dlink (as it should). Enemy CAS also zero in on the vehicle almost instantly and engage and destroy it. I imagine this could be a persistent problem, even if the radar vehicle is made to be a disembodied virtual entity it would be difficult under the current system to prevent AI from attempting to engage it.

Another question with regard to making AI pilots appear a bit intelligent and increase thier life expectancy in missions where the creator (or curator) might not want to have to micro manage them so much. Would it be possible to create some kind of "No Fly Zone" module that could be synced to an area trigger to simulate knowledge of or perceived threat from potential AA in that area and prevent AI aircraft of different types from venturing into it?

8 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Odd.

I just tested the Wipeout, F-181 and the A-149 and while the Wipeout didn't have a radar it still picked up targets once they entered the visual and IR ranges.  The 2 radar equipped jets picked up stationary and moving targets reasonably quickly.

Very strange.  I was able to get the visual indicator in the wipeout at about ~2km, but no radar indicator in the F181.  I am going to try again.

Note - all I am doing is placing a crewed OPFOR artillery piece beside the runway then doing flybys with the radar active / turned on using various ranges and at various AOA (incluiding pointing nose of the aircraft right at the vehicle).  I'm using a 12KM view distance and 5km object distance so I don't think this is the problem.

The purpose of my evaluation was to test the radar effectivity beyond a clients set object view distance and different AOAs).  Has anyone done this?  is the radar effective beyond an object view distance or is it like the old simple radar where the radar can only see up to the set view distance?

thx for the reply.