Hi there,

For people who find it too tedious to play with PBO unpacking and code editing to change the ennemy faction in their Combat Patrol scenario, I made this lightweight and easy-to-use addon: Custom Combat Patrol

Simply use my Custom Combat Patrol Init module instead of the Vanilla one and put the class names you want in the init.sqf of your mission.

• Like 3

Uhm... Im a decently experienced mission maker and I'd like to make my own version of combat patrol from scratch (without any scripting as well) but I cant seem to find anywhere that describes what the editor modules do in detail. Can someone help me out with this? Like links to places where they're explained and tutorials work fine.

7 minutes ago, Shepherd of Fire said:

Uhm... Im a decently experienced mission maker and I'd like to make my own version of combat patrol from scratch (without any scripting as well) but I cant seem to find anywhere that describes what the editor modules do in detail. Can someone help me out with this? Like links to places where they're explained and tutorials work fine.

The module description tells you every thing you need to know. You can also download the example missions from the Arma 3 - Samples pack available on Steam.

1 minute ago, R3vo said:

The module description tells you every thing you need to know. You can also download the example missions from the Arma 3 - Samples pack available on Steam.

Well they seem pretty vague to me..? Anyway yeah I'll dl the samples and see whats up. thanks.

12 minutes ago, Shepherd of Fire said:

You don't need any link. The only mandatory module is the init one. Then, on your map places some player(s) and, preview to check if the positions are suitable. For example, on Takistan, i decided to let all the locations as is. But you can remove, add, move them with the modules. Nothing to link.

For custom units, you can follow this topic or apply the bastaard module (not tested).
So far, you can do custom units, start at base, custom HVT or trucks... time multiplier and more with little codes.

Combat Patrol, pretty fun! It has been a long time since I did any vanilla search and destroy style missions, nice work.  

Setting time in the editor would not carry over to the actual mission during a combat patrol.  I was on Malden,  I set up the player, squad AI, some empty vehicles, CP module, set weather and time and then jump into MP, LAN and try it out but no matter what time I set in editor the mission would always be at 9am =\

Also seems like the weather settings I defined in editor would not take place in the mission.  I had a heck of a time making it foggy...hmm now that I think of it, I need to check TPW_fog settings, it may override what I am trying to do.

Choosing your mission location made for a hell of time as it teleports you ( only you not your squad) to said location...that's not cool lol. Sometimes it'd teleport a couple members of my squad ( I think they may be ones I made playable).  Didn't like the "hand of god" sticking me on the other side of the map. Good thing I keep SSPCM on hand for these unexpected hiccups =)

Wasn't long before I was back in the editor sticking zombie hordes all over Malden and watching/hearing the chaos unfold as CSAT tried to figure out WTH was going on haha. Really good times!

Edit: I see Haleks has a code snip for insertion, niiice! Never messed about with code for missions but I'll take a look heh

9 minutes ago, Zakuaz said:

Combat Patrol, pretty fun! It has been a long time since I did any vanilla search and destroy style missions, nice work.  

Setting time in the editor would not carry over to the actual mission during a combat patrol.  I was on Malden,  I set up the player, squad AI, some empty vehicles, CP module, set weather and time and then jump into MP, LAN and try it out but no matter what time I set in editor the mission would always be at 9am =\

Also seems like the weather settings I defined in editor would not take place in the mission.  I had a heck of a time making it foggy...hmm now that I think of it, I need to check TPW_fog settings, it may override what I am trying to do.

Choosing your mission location made for a hell of time as it teleports you ( only you not your squad) to said location...that's not cool lol. Sometimes it'd teleport a couple members of my squad ( I think they may be ones I made playable).  Didn't like the "hand of god" sticking my on the other side of the map. Good thing I keep SSPCM on hand for these unexpected hiccups =)

Wasn't long before I was back in editor sticking zombie hordes all over Malden and watching/hearing the chaos unfold as CSAT tried to figure out WTH was going on haha. Really good times!

There's a default time define in the CP_init file which will always overwrite editor presets (why, BIS?)

Your squad mates have indeed to be playable to get teleportet.

I don't understand BI at all.. they got maps which are huge, look at battlefield.the rush game mode simulates there is "huge"map which isn't, you blow up 2 mCom stations and advance on offense, previous parts of map becomes unavailable since engine can't render all that. but again, that's the only good thing about BF. we got arma here, maps are huge, it can be done without breaking a sweat, but devs are so sloppy, same CP I played 5months ago gets released with malden dlc. I remember xmas gamesessions, I played this exact CP that time. Nothing new here after months, and this lame mission bugs like trucks blowing up or laptops getting destroyed at start or forget all that, forget them all hear this: HVT spawn like 90m away from insertion point, you kill HVT and mission ends. is this a joke? people here struggling to make some "long run" mission via evading lame teleport at init or customizing things.. I don't think i am too harsh, just wanted to stress this out specially at this thread, take as a constructive arguement if any devs give F's about but i am sure nobody does so, sorry for spamming you people.

4 minutes ago, archibald tutter said:

I don't understand BI at all.. they got maps which are huge, look at battlefield.the rush game mode simulates there is "huge"map which isn't, you blow up 2 mCom stations and advance on offense, previous parts of map becomes unavailable since engine can't render all that. but again, that's the only good thing about BF. we got arma here, maps are huge, it can be done without breaking a sweat, but devs are so sloppy, same CP I played 5months ago gets released with malden dlc. I remember xmas gamesessions, I played this exact CP that time. Nothing new here after months, and this lame mission bugs like trucks blowing up or laptops getting destroyed at start or forget all that, forget them all hear this: HVT spawn like 90m away from insertion point, you kill HVT and mission ends. is this a joke? people here struggling to make some "long run" mission via evading lame teleport at init or customizing things.. I don't think i am too harsh, just wanted to stress this out specially at this thread, take as a constructive arguement if any devs give F's about but i am sure nobody does so, sorry for spamming you people.

Personally, I'm happy to get the beautiful map Malden and a new way to see it in action quickly (CP).  I bought this game more than 3.5 years ago, and they just gave us some great content for free.  What's not to like?  And look how quickly the improved CP spin-offs are arriving from the community.  Life is good.  :)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Personally, I'm happy to get the beautiful map Malden and a new way to see it in action quickly (CP).  I bought this game more than 3.5 years ago, and they just gave us some great content for free.  What's not to like?  And look how quickly the improved CP spin-offs are arriving from the community.  Life is good.  :)

well..you either completely tryingto bury my point via ignoring or you completely missed my point. I am not criticizing BI over anything. I would like to see this CP more complete, better and more finished instead of releasing same stuff from months ago. I want arma to be better, not just average, that was the whole point of my post. I agree with you on the rest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, archibald tutter said:

well..you either completely tryingto bury my point via ignoring or you completely missed my point. I am not criticizing BI over anything. I would like to see this CP more complete, better and more finished instead of releasing same stuff from months ago. I want arma to be better, not just average, that was the whole point of my post. I agree with you on the rest.

I agree. You can think Malden + CP and much more sample stuffs are for free. Then, as johnnyboy said, it's just some extra pleasure. That's right.

On the other hand, I guess it was not so difficult to make this CP compatible with several groups, more reliable for comms (so often experienced destroyed at start, I had to find a workaround), compatible with other factions (by clicking on init module options and browsing the loaded ones), and add some parameters like number of tasks before end mission.

I hope we will see something like that in future? At this time, I'm doing my poor own scripts (and it's also a pleasure!).

• Like 1

The fact that factions or units are not customiseable out of the box os very disappointing.

A few global variables which mission creators could overwrite and the issue would have been solved.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, R3vo said:

The fact that factions or units are not customiseable out of the box os very disappointing.

A few global variables which mission creators could overwrite and the issue would have been solved.

It is indeed. Seems like bare bones really. 

Perhaps they wanted to see was there a real interest in combat patrol after a brief honeymoon period before investment of more resources into it.

To Not acknowledge how a mission mode itself can make more money than a dlc or even an expansion pack is unwise. Day z, more recently unknownplayers battle royal sold millions of copies in a few months..

It benefits both players and the company if executed right.

There is serious money to be made from a proper BIS made game mode. With the input from dev branch fully implemented. I'm hoping the tac ops and orange dlc will be utilised parts attached to a deep mission mode that will avoid wasted opportunities. drive the sales behind them and indeed another surge for arma overall .

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Shepherd of Fire said:

So Is there any way we can customize the factions to contain modded units?

Yes there is. There is a small addon mentioned in an ealier post which does that. Or you can go the extra mile and unpack all functions including the ones for the tasks and edit them manually (warning! very tedious and prone to errors)

2 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Yes there is. There is a small addon mentioned in an ealier post which does that. Or you can go the extra mile and unpack all functions including the ones for the tasks and edit them manually (warning! very tedious and prone to errors)

Alright, thanks, I'll look for it

Are there any usefull new functions or script commands for random patrols for use in own missions? the random patroul function from BIS (the old one) does not allow to define areas to patrol.

Havent played this mode -are there any AI ambushes? Are they using the buildings in any way? I see CBA has added a Garrison Waypoint and was curious if BI use it.

Reason (besides the obvious) Im asking is so much has been done by SP designers and the ALIVE mod that bring alot of excitment and tension to patroling like IEDs, house ambush, CQB etc module that Im wondering what makes this stand out?

1 hour ago, froggyluv said:

Havent played this mode -are there any AI ambushes? Are they using the buildings in any way? I see CBA has added a Garrison Waypoint and was curious if BI use it.

Reason (besides the obvious) Im asking is so much has been done by SP designers and the ALIVE mod that bring alot of excitment and tension to patroling like IEDs, house ambush, CQB etc module that Im wondering what makes this stand out?

The AIs are using buildings according to mission settings.

Why does this stand out? Easy. No mods required.

The AIs are using buildings according to mission settings.

Oh well that is good, glad to hear thats starting to get official attention

Why does this stand out? Easy. No mods required.

Haha -i hope thats a joke. Official missions should be the vanguard of mission innovation.

41 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Oh well that is good, glad to hear thats starting to get official attention

Haha -i hope thats a joke. Official missions should be the vanguard of mission innovation.

Oooh...  Ok.  I wouldn't use innovation at all in describing the mission. 

My personal experience playing (online now but I cannot see having ai making it so different). Spawn all run to objective. Of which there is 3.  Kill hvt, destroy vehicles, destroy communications.  If I'm honest they play like side missions in domination or invade and annex. Only difference is the ai spawn up on your ass most times. When you complete or fail mission you go to exfil(a nightmare when playing with random players not interested in objectives).  

I may have missed it. It is ok for quick jump in get into action. Personally escape the island has more depth. And that don't really either.

I'm really just trying to spare you froggy because I think you may be disappointed. But with anything taste for yourself. 

• Like 1

Tanks teabags -thats pretty helpful and kinda what i expected. Thats a shame if AI spawn right on the player - that kills the fun and tension of tactical planning as basically its just a quickest finger turkey shoot. I wonder if any of the BI devs actually enjoyed any of the old R6 or GR's/Swat's -in which the whole joy and reason to play against the less cerebral AI - is watching their routine, buying into the immersion of it and then successfully interupting it through proper planning. This is why PvP is not as desirable for this type of gamer -as players are all there to fight -not walk around on a smoke break and act clueless to danger.

Ah well, thank god for the editor..

Have you actually experienced AI spawning near you? I'm surprised beacause the town garrison spawns during objective init after location selection and then only reinforcements are being spawned, all of them very far from the AO.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jezuro said:

Have you actually experienced AI spawning near you? I'm surprised beacause the town garrison spawns during objective init after location selection and then only reinforcements are being spawned, all of them very far from the AO.

love the mode

few things:

- disable friendly fire if you expect it to be played on an unadministered/unmoderated public server. can disable it with a handledamage event handler, not sure how it would interact with the revive system tho.

- widen the "extraction" radius so players dont have to group up at the end to complete the mission, which is bait for trolls and griefers to have everyone in a small area

- AI accuracy feels a tad too high, not much, just a little

46 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

- AI accuracy feels a tad too high, not much, just a little

Isn't that controlled by server settings?