sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0D - Delta Released !!!

@axtros tetet was referring to the BOHEMIA patch 1.68 not the unsung patch. the fixes in unsung since the Bohemia update will be released in the ECHO version maybe in July if you're lucky.

@Ethridge Unfortunately we cannot agree to any external mod being made to patch unsung. It has always been a self-contained standalone mod, and will remain so.

That being said, if you would like to send us some improved textures to consider including, we will certainly examine them closely.

Whether they get included or not is completely up to BigStone, who makes all our uniforms with authentic, accurate, period detail.

We are short of support, so if you wish to help out, add me on skype rgraham.ld

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eggbeast said:

@axtros tetet was referring to the BOHEMIA patch 1.68 not the unsung patch. the fixes in unsung since the Bohemia update will be released in the ECHO version maybe in July if you're lucky.

@Ethridge Unfortunately we cannot agree to any external mod being made to patch unsung. It has always been a self-contained standalone mod, and will remain so.

That being said, if you would like to send us some improved textures to consider including, we will certainly examine them closely.

Whether they get included or not is completely up to BigStone, who makes all our uniforms with authentic, accurate, period detail.

We are short of support, so if you wish to help out, add me on skype rgraham.ld

I highly doubt he will agree to using my textures in the mod over his own. But I don't why it being a separate mod is a problem, its completely optional if people want to download it and it wouldnt include any UNSUNG assets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethridge said:

I highly doubt he will agree to using my textures in the mod over his own. But I don't why it being a separate mod is a problem, its completely optional if people want to download it and it wouldnt include any UNSUNG assets.

If it doesn't include UNSUNG assets then I don't think much can be said. The mechanics of the ARMA engine allow for changing textures out even without addons.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, sowens said:

If it doesn't include UNSUNG assets then I don't think much can be said. The mechanics of the ARMA engine allow for changing textures out even without addons.

Exactly, the mod would only be configs and textures, and would require UNSUNG. If something was to change in UNSUNG that would break with the mod, then its on me to update it. I see no issue with it. Something along the lines of some of the retexture mods for RHS, IFA3 Lite, and Faces Of War.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ethridge said:

Exactly, the mod would only be configs and textures, and would require UNSUNG. If something was to change in UNSUNG that would break with the mod, then its on me to update it. I see no issue with it.

So, are you depboing some UNSUNG content or creating some textures to be applied on some Unsung classes (just a dependency)?

Creating some textures to be applied on Unsung classes, so UNSUNG is a dependency.

if you make a config using our classes, that is technically reverse engineering. which is prohibited by our license.

Modification: Editing this software is prohibited. By downloading this software you agree that you will not unpack or debinarize the materials in any way. You will not edit, adapt, export or otherwise tamper with the software content. You acknowledge that your right to use this software will be terminated by any act of tampering with the software.

generally we say no to this unless there is a compelling case. you may have noticed there are no mods dependent on unsung. this is the reason. I recently looked at some on steam that seemed to make new units based on ours, but they were just for ALIVE users, so we let it pass.

we're not a complete ivory tower, we do share source models with other teams and they share with us. and we share and exchange knowledge with many community members as well as other mod teams. but allowing potentially confusing third-party addons to be added to our world is not generally gonna happen. basically Unsung mod is a standalone mod, without any dependencies or dependents. people with a healthy approach to modding and teamwork are welcome to join the mod team and contribute this way.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, eggbeast said:

if you make a config using our classes, that is technically reverse engineering. which is prohibited by our license.

generally we say no to this unless there is a compelling case. you may have noticed there are no mods dependent on unsung. this is the reason. I recently looked at some on steam that seemed to make new units based on ours, but they were just for ALIVE users, so we let it pass.

we're not a complete ivory tower, we do share source models with other teams and they share with us. and we share and exchange knowledge with many community members as well as other mod teams. but allowing potentially confusing third-party addons to be added to our world is not generally gonna happen. basically Unsung mod is a standalone mod, without any dependencies or dependents. people with a healthy approach to modding and teamwork are welcome to join the mod team and contribute this way.

I disagree, I dont see how a separate uniform retexture mod is "confusing" considering theres the UNSUNG uniform pack, which is a separate mod, its just made by the team. And the mod would be completely optional, if you dont want to download it, you dont have to. There would be nothing confusing about it. So what exactly is the reason for this rule in your license? Allowing the community to make things for your mod and edit your mod (with full credit and editing within reason) is what prolongs it past what the team itself can work on, hence providing a much more expansive and open mod community. Now, I have these ideas for textures I think are better than whats currently in the mod. How could I show you an example of my edited textures if I'm "not allowed" to edit them. Lets say I join the team, do you think BigStone will take mine over his? hell no, hes going to use his own. Stomping out some creativity for personal gain, which is usually what these restrictions come down to. It usually has nothing to do with protecting authors content or rights, but to make sure nobody can make something that the community might think is better, because your insecure about it. I used to have real faith in this team, that it wouldnt be as closed down and self-righteous as some other teams. I will be making this retexture mod by the way, despite your ridiculous rules, I just wont be releasing it publicly. Its on my computer, and I can De-pbo it if I want to and theres nothing you can do about it. The A3 modding community has really gotten narcissistic lately. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

I suspected you might react like that. shame bud. we like team players. Stone's a very cool guy, and he'd be happy to look at other work to include. he has literally no ego. but you seem to have judged him without even offering to speak to him in skype. and that answers my initial thought, that you are not the kind of person to work with us. glad you made your mind up. Our license is what it is. most people just accept it and work with it. the mod has been going since 2004, and is in a good place right now, though we could use some more members with reasonable experience and skills. but absolutely critical to any new member is their ability to behave reasonably, and work in a team, without ego.

reacting to a perceived knockback with a storm of swearing and abuse is typical of a lot of people who "offer to help us out" and this is why we police our license so hard.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, eggbeast said:

I suspected you might react like that. shame bud. we like team players. Stone's a very cool guy, and he'd be happy to look at other work to include. he has literally no ego. but you seem to have judged him without even offering to speak to him in skype. and that answers my initial thought, that you are not the kind of person to work with us. glad you made your mind up. Our license is what it is. most people just accept it and work with it. the mod has been going since 2004, and is in a good place right now, though we could use some more members with reasonable experience and skills. but absolutely critical to any new member is their ability to behave reasonably, and work in a team, without ego.

reacting to a perceived knockback with a storm of swearing and abuse is typical of a lot of people who "offer to help us out" and this is why we police our license so hard.

I didnt realise "hell" was a swear word, or that there was any "abuse" in that post. I am a team player, a team player for modding, not just the UNSUNG team. If everyone in the team really is so "without ego", explain your rules. Because your rules certainly dont have anything to do with screening out new team members. I never said Stone was a bad guy, or that I disliked him at all. But its a 99% chance that he wouldnt accept some random person's edited versions of his textures to include in the mod. I would like to know if he would. If you suspect people to react this way when confronted with your narrow-minded rules, then why have the rules in the first place? I can behave reasonably, and work in a team, surely without ego. Depends on rules of the team.  I was really considering becoming part of the team but these completely ridiculous restrictions on what the community gets to do with the mod that they downloaded makes zero sense. And until you can give me clear reasons for why you have these restrictions in place, my position will remain the same.

• Like 1

i know this is no of my business ,but Ethridge  it sounds to me like you have had some bad experiences, teams tend to go what's best for their work, not who is making it. I'm absolutely positive if i made some cool textures of Vietnam  era

(not using unsung configs) if they liked it, they would say so. and i think what there all saying is point blank .(there not looking for any independent moder to make anything that isn't part of unsung) but they welcome good people to join there team. and i don't think there being difficult, I don't know Stone but how do you know what he will think? maybe he would be like wow dude this stuff is awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggbeast said:

though we could use some more members with reasonable experience and skills. but absolutely critical to any new member is their ability to behave reasonably, and work in a team, without ego.

The above quoted text is the crux to joining our team. We take great attitudes over excellent experience. From what I have read in your post, Ethridge, it seems to me you might have some bad experiences and cannot understand where we are coming from. I have spent over 100 hours of my time working on things, learning the code syntax, interfacing with the fellas, while they have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful modification. 

Are we protective of our work? Of course we are. But we also do this for the community, and are willing to help anyone and listen to anyone who has suggestions. All we ask is for people to simply respect our ToS, seek us out for ideas/improvements, and go from there. 

I certainly hope you find the gaming experience you are looking for.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ethridge said:

I didnt realise "hell" was a swear word, or that there was any "abuse" in that post. 

Well it isn't, i think you have misinterpreted the post.

I am a team player, a team player for modding, not just the UNSUNG team. If everyone in the team really is so "without ego", explain your rules. Because your rules certainly dont have anything to do with screening out new team members. I never said Stone was a bad guy, or that I disliked him at all.

All mod teams can have rules if they wish, its up to them how they operate. Rules help to govern and organise a team.

But its a 99% chance that he wouldnt accept some random person's edited versions of his textures to include in the mod. I would like to know if he would.

How do you know this? Have you actually asked?

If you suspect people to react this way when confronted with your narrow-minded rules, then why have the rules in the first place? I can behave reasonably, and work in a team, surely without ego. Depends on rules of the team.  I was really considering becoming part of the team but these completely ridiculous restrictions on what the community gets to do with the mod that they downloaded makes zero sense. And until you can give me clear reasons for why you have these restrictions in place, my position will remain the same.

Same as my post above, rules help to govern and organise a team

Also out of interest what addons or mods have you worked with previously? As i haven't seen any of your addons released to the Arma3 community. 

we don't want him. he's too volatile.

as an example of the conversation between bigstone (uniform tsar) and hounddog (new recruit) today about editing some pilot uniforms and helmets (they have never spoken previously):

[07:04:55] bigstone: Yeah this mod been through OFP, Arma, Arma 2, and now Arma 3.
[07:07:58] bigstone: BTW cool helo crew helmets hounddog.  Adds a new atmosphere to the mod.
[07:08:29] hounddog: Thanks bigstone! I appreciate the feedback!
[07:08:43] bigstone: NP (like)
[07:13:02] bigstone: Yeah I was thinking of making a new set of helo pilot uniforms.  Starting with US Army Helo crews.  It will be easy.  Each set for example Pilot WO, CWO, 2nd LT, 1st LT, CPT, Maj , Co-Pilot CWO, 2nd LT, 1st LT , Crew Chief Sgt, and Gunner Spec 4.  1st set will be 1st Cav.
[07:14:29] hounddog: That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of WO uniforms, and I was thinking about giving them a NOMEX uniform with gloves. The powers that be realized the pilots needed fire resistant uniforms, heh.
[07:14:50] bigstone: From there on to the rest of the Division/Brigade Helo Crews that were organic to the Divisions/Brigades.
[07:15:18 | Edited 07:16:23] bigstone: Maybe independent aviation assault company units as well.
[07:15:41] hounddog: Yep, we could use the 229th AV BN and the 174th AHC
[07:15:52] bigstone: Nice if you can do the uniform I can add the small details like rank and unit patches.
[07:16:22] hounddog: I sure can. I can also add the aviator wings for the US Army.
[07:17:09] bigstone: Cool
[07:17:44] hounddog: I can send you a sample in a bit if that is cool?
[07:18:44] bigstone: Alright man send it my way when your ready.

this is how we roll.it helps we're all in our 40s and ex military i guess. we don't spout off at people or disrespect them in the first meet n greet..

we also have new tigerstripe in the works from Gaz, seen here on his SASR units,

the issue with these is that they use the Arma 3 body, not the arma 2 one, so a lot of care needs to be taken regarding the overlapping and clipping of the webbing/ uniforms.

He's having a lot of fun with that (not). As we're in transition from A2 to A3 bodies, the uniform system is going to change at some point.

L5gaOdm.jpg

• Like 10

Ok, I'd like to apologize for my previous outburst. That was not the best way to go about things and I got way too heated writing those posts. I'd be willing to give joining the team a chance. If you wont allow me to join, thats understandable. Its nothing against BigStone that I assumed he wouldnt take my textures over his, this is just how almost all content creators ive spoken to in the A3 community handle things.

• Like 2

ok well thanks for seeing reason. i'm a little worried about your temperament still.

if you wish to contribute add me on skype for a private chat rgraham.ld.

• Like 2

Thanks mate

how did you know it contained unsung? Did you sub it to check? If so could you share a screenies showing the folder path name and some unsung pbos? We can issue a dmca and blacklist the poster

actually don't worry - i did it.

DMCA filed thanks guys for watching our backs. we really appreciate it.

• Like 2

It's disheartening how people disrespect your work by uploading it to steam, wish it wasn't like that...

• Like 2

yeah we are planning to add it to steam at some point ourselves. we just need to set up the system, check the permissions, and then release it.

We had a very productive discussion with Pufu at RHS, Giallustio at FoW, wld427 at PRACS and serjames at 3CB about how they all see the risks to their mod from valves license.

Also some very useful tips from Pufu about managing take-downs and breaches.

As a result, we are now confirming with some materials donors their consent to use Steam workshop in future.

But obviously we don't want loads of uploads on there during these negotiations.

• Like 3

G'day Eggbeast,

No worries. Happy to keep an eye out for people doing the wrong thing. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Irish Mick's vid of last sundays game using Echo BETA - featuring entire unsung dev team and Elite-Warriors beta test team.

In a 13 hour session to complete the mission, many players agreed after that it featured some of the best teamplay we've ever experienced.

20m in, the notorious Hanoi Hannah makes her dreaded appearan

• Like 3