sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0D - Delta Released !!!

17 hours ago, eggbeast said:

use the links on our webpage to work out the best way to get the download

http://armanam.eu/downloads.html

you may prefer to use A3L or torrent to get parts of the mod at a time without it breaking

most of us pay $25/month for unlimited broadband. maybe consider a better ISP.

re steam, it has been answered many many times, just search for it.

Thanks, that's actually where I got the above download.

As Barden said, I'm Australian. I currently pay $85 for my HFC connection (which is now unfortunately considered NBN, compared to the original FTTP rollout) which is the only connection available in my region now. The issue isn't so much my connection (30/10mb/s) but rather the choice of file hosting. The above screenshots are from mega.nz, who have a bandwidth cap on transfers but at least download at a steady 2mb/s, The torrent you provide is not only 2gb larger as it's uncompressed but also did not connect to any seeders, Armaholic's connection speeds to Australia are just a joke (Varying from 30-50 kb/s) unless you're a paying user, while PWS was maxing out at 500~ Kb/s. Which for a 7.9gb file would take around 30-40 hours at a continuous pace, which isn't going to happen even on the greatest connection as it prepares and switches files.

Thanks for answering the question though.

ok well we tested the torrent here and it is working so i'm not sure why you're having problems. we have 3 very fast servers seeding the mod constantly.

you didn't try A3 Launcher yet then? that may be your best solution if the torrent doesn't work for you.

Mega.NZ is not really a solution, as it only allows 1 download per month.

https://armanetpodcast.podbean.com/e/armanet-ep-23-unsung-interview/?token=5f873164b96b4095b9f69a52d4387a54
Here is a 1 hour podcast from the unsung developers - Sgt-savage, Razorback, Tetet and Eggbeast in which they discuss the origins of the mod, what got them into the Vietnam war theme, and what is in store for the forthcoming Echo release.

• Like 3

Enjoyed the Podcast. Great insight into my favorite mod. Thanks guys. 

• Like 2

To all the Unsung creators,

My sincere thanks for all the fun you've provided me with this mod. I'd been looking for something different
to play with using Arma 3 and you've opened a whole new world for me. Being a -real- old Arma 3 player,
Vietnam is the era I grew up in. I'm lovin' it!

The Da Krong map is magnificent, me and my little band of misfits and currently playing "Da Krong Insurgency".

We're havin' a blast with it, but have yet to discover how to save our progress on our server. D'oh!

Best regards,
Oddball

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oddball-47 Ronin said:

To all the Unsung creators,

My sincere thanks for all the fun you've provided me with this mod. I'd been looking for something different
to play with using Arma 3 and you've opened a whole new world for me. Being a -real- old Arma 3 player,
Vietnam is the era I grew up in. I'm lovin' it!

The Da Krong map is magnificent, me and my little band of misfits and currently playing "Da Krong Insurgency".

We're havin' a blast with it, but have yet to discover how to save our progress on our server. D'oh!

Best regards,
Oddball

Glad you like it!  :D

Save progress on a server - as far as I know that can't be done.  You have dedicated servers that in theory will stay on for everything but game updates.  There are ways to make things persistent, by the use of a back-end database server where everything is written.  That's how the DayZ and other stuff like it works.  However for a "normal" game play server I don't know of any way to do that, unfortunately.

Hi Pookie,

I'm not just "liking" it; I'm loving it!
I'm using an Arma3 server I rent from "Fragnet".

Prior to loading up "Unsung" on our server, we were playing a "persistent" world mission called "Antistasi".

In that mission, there was an option for the players to select "Persistent Save" when leaving the server.
  This preserved the current game state, generating a file called something like "server.vars.Arma3Profile.

When next anyone loaded into the server/mission, he would then see everything exactly as it was

for the previous player(s). (If they'd done a "persistent save.)

Shutting down the server, then restarting it, would not matter with regards to the state of the map/mission

when we last left it. The server just read that "persistent save" file and it was just exactly the

same as where we'd left off.

I'm server-illiterate, as proof of which I offer that it took me three days to figure out how to

get the capability to play "Unsung" on our server. (Man, was I -thrilled- when I could actually connect

and not get thrown back to the mission selection screen immediately.)
  Anyway, my thrust is that it seems that saving progress on a server is possible, at least in the case of
"Antistasi"; the caveat being that perhaps it has to be coded into the mission itself?

So, am I correct in assuming that the "Da Krong Insurgency" mission is meant to be completed

in a single day/night of continuous play?

Or... is there perhaps something I can insert in the server.cfg file or the basic.cfg file which would

"force" Da Krong Insurgency to become "persistent". ie: always running whether there was anyone

on the server or not.

I remain,

A Pinhead Without Portfolio

20 minutes ago, Oddball-47 Ronin said:

So, am I correct in assuming that the "Da Krong Insurgency" mission is meant to be completed in a single day/night of continuous play?

As long as the server remains online, you should be able to revisit it... e.g. come back over the weekends.

The config save idea sounds interesting.  I'd love to see that work :) 

I guess it's not the server which saves the players' data, just because this could be too much data for an hypothetical come back for anyone.

On the other hand, you probably can use some EH like "handleDisconnect" to save some position, loadouts in profileNameSpace. Then, call back this variable(s) when connected back in this mission.

my evo carries on for 2 weeks sometimes. we just use persistent =1 in the config

however the game slowly eats server cpu and ram over time and needs a regular refresh, meaning a game restart every 3 days is a must really.

Hi guys,

I read up on it this evening and think I've figured out what I need to do. 

1. Edit the server.cfg, telling it to add specifically (and only) Da Krong Insurgency

using this:

class Missions
{
	class DaKrong-Insurgency // name for the mission, can be anything
	{
		template = [CO22]%20Evolution%20Vietnam%20(Da%20Krong).DaKrong; // omit the .pbo suffix
		cadetMode = 0; // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet

};

2. (Sorry for the formatting)

Edit the server.cfg with the following:
persistent             = 1;    // If 1, missions still runs on even after the last player disconnected.

But that's on tomorrow's list of "stuff to do". I just spent 4 glorious hours in the boonies of Da Krong

hunting for the elusive "cave complex" which I "know" is somewhere in between "Three Canyons" and
"Long Vinh". (no spoilers, please!)

Stuff I LOVE about this mission and map:
  The map itself is absolutely magnificent, and the jungle so dense in most of it that the relatively

"open" areas around rivers/creeks feels like the open expanses of Nebraska. You can almost hear

yourself breath a sigh of relief that you can see further than 30 or 40 yards.

Moving through "the bush", it becomes an imperative that you keep your eyeballs on your point

man constantly. (While of course watching your flanks as well.) It is VERY easy to lose track of him.

And once the proverbial $#it hits the fan, you've gotta know exactly where he is relative to your

position; moving to him while maintaining (or attempting to) cover for yourself. (Huge difference

between "cover" and "concealment" becomes obvious early on.)
  The adrenaline rush of seeing tracers, hearing the impacts close to you and "feeling" the snaps

of the rounds whizzing over your head is some righteous stuff !

Frags, lots of frags. Oh, and bring a blooper or a thumper with you as well!

Oh, I got to try out a HALO jump this evening as well. What a trip! I'd never "jumped" before in

Arma except for a couple of times several years ago. I'd forgotten what a head rush it is,

especially on this map where open terrain is tough to come by. (I managed to auger/kill myself

several times coming down into dense jungle.
  The ability to "respawn" is a godsend. Many, many missions I've downloaded and played since
the original "Arma" first came out so many years ago, simply terminate the mission, forcing you

to start from scratch. I've personally always found this annoying and extremely disruptive to the

enjoyment to be had from Arma. Which, when all is said and done is a -game- and as such is

to be enjoyed. So, my thanks for including the multi-option/multi-base spawn!
  Oh, I almost forgot. Populating the bases with "AI guys". GREAT addition and helps

a lot with the immersion factor. (Mission makers take note.)

We've noted a couple of odd behaviors within the context of Da Krong Insurgency.

First is that recruiting an AI guy functions, with the caveat that said "AI guy" seems to

ignore any/all orders that you give him. I'd call them "retards", but that would probably

be considered "un PC". Oh wait, I just did; too late. ;)

When last I saw mine, he as wandering off to some obscure area of the base after I'd

told him to "regroup" or "move there" more than a half dozen times. I then said "screw it"

and moved out into the boonies on my own... only to almost light him up when he spooked

me thirty minutes later, wandering into my line of sight/fire.

The only other "problem" we've come across is the helicopter transport option.
(For you guys unaware of it, hitting the "0" (zero) key at the top of your keyboard

brings up a list of options. Listed under "supports" is the option to call in the helo for

transporting you to .... well...)

We had twice designated a wide expanse of open terrain East of Three Canyons,

but both times, the helo insisted on dropping us right on top of the small hamlet

designated as "Three Canyons" on the map. We died. It was not pretty. Heheheee!

Anyway, it's entirely possible this is anomalous behavior, but I thought it would

be of benefit to point these two items out in order to provide some feedback on

my experience as a player of the mission.

In closing, my sincere thanks once again to all the makers of the Unsung mod,

as well as the Da Krong Insurgency and Evolution missions. I'm guessing that

a combined thousands of total hours of dedication and perseverance, probably

combined with unhealthy does of obsession and frustration went into bringing

this mod and missions to fruition.

Mod and mission makers have been at the core of a LOT of the fun I've had

with PC games over more than two decades. We are all in their debt.

Best regards,

Odd

• Like 2

UNSUNG TEAM RECRUITING

In order to continue producing this mod at a high level of quality and quantity for the Arma community

we are currently looking for the following people to boost our team productivity:

2 x model porters
- porting models from arma 2 to arma 3 (e.g. motorbike, bicycle, helicopter, tank)

- you need to have basic knowledge of Arma Tools (object builder)

- we can teach you the rest, you just need to be willing to follow our guidance.

- These posts allow people the ability to grow and develop their knowledge in model development.

2 x building artists

- high level of ability to make new scale models from scratch in whatever program you use

- uv mapping and texturing models

- we can import to p3d / rig / animate / and config

- The buildings are for a new urban map based in Hue 1968 that our world-builder artists are developing.

- Your creative input to that map would become legendary!

To be part of our team you will need

- about 6-10 hours a week for no pay, except being part of a supportive 14 year-old modding team

- open-minded and teamworking mind-set

- skype account for group-chat

- tortoise svn (we can teach you how to use that)

Interested? please send me a PM

• Like 1

When i play with six,i cant get this to work,start ,zeus play right? I havent played with six before,do I have to wait until it`s downloaded zeus or something?  Got nothing when I press y,cant get any other mods to work either,thanks for you`re time.

Thanks for this great mod.

I have some problems with the uh1D (slick) and waypoints. It wont fly full speed though i have set it in the editor, it also wont unload cargo on and unload transport waypoint, it just stops at the end of the waypoint hovering. It also ignores flyinheight script commands.

Anyone having the same problems?? 

yeah it's probably the most reported issue in the mod, the whole unsung threads are covered in them. fixed for echo.

wow, I finally installed this mod, and hell.. I cant believe the work . the air plane's are the best ive seen. (I friggin love it).

I was just in the editor for like 2 hours just toying around.

the only question I have is are you planning on evening the air for all side's?

also I guess 3 questions, were can I find missions and were can I load missions?

I have a air dm (originally made by cly) I edited it for ifa3 and would love to do one for the unsung mod. 

opps never mined I see link for missions.

2 minutes ago, dr death jm said:

wow, I finally installed this mod, and hell.. I cant believe the work . the air plane's are the best ive seen. (I friggin love it).

I was just in the editor for like 2 hours just toying around.

the only question I have is are you planning on evening the air for all side's?

also I guess 3 questions, were can I find missions and were can I load missions?

I have a air dm (originally made by cly) I edited it for ifa3 and would love to do one for the unsung mod. 

You can find details in our road map in the WIP Thread specifically for enemy air but in short answer: An-2, MiG-15, MiG-21 looking to be for next update with possibly a MiG-17 and MiG-19 to follow.

Missions can be found on steam workshop, Eggbeast has a lot of them there in his favourited ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/GITSeggbeast/myworkshopfiles/?browsesort=myfavorites&browsefilter=myfavorites&p=1 ) but I guarantee there will be more if you search for them. Where you load them depends on whether it's a single player scenario of you host a lan server to play sp/mp missions that aren't in scenarios or are meant to be played COOP.

• Like 1

ok , quick question , I'm I allowed to put this mod on my dedicated server, or ?

1 minute ago, dr death jm said:

ok , quick question , I'm I allowed to put this mod on my dedicated server, or ?

I don't see why not :) ? The only requirements we really have other than things specifically detailed in the license is that it's not to be distributed over steam workshop, so if you're chucking it up on your dedicated to maybe make it an easier download through ArmA 3 sync I believe we give people permission to do that! Unless of course you're specifically asking whether or not you're allowed to chuck it on your server to actually play with, I believe that's why we made the mod for ;) but be warned that using it along side a lot of other mods there is a high chance that some compatibility stuff may go wonky. I don't believe anything serious but I would test it out before committing.

• Like 1

yeah , was hoping to run with a few but , worst off if RHS or CUP , id be more than happy, when you say  don't distributed over steam workshop, are you referring to? like posting missions? I'm having a real dumb moment. sorry 

2 minutes ago, dr death jm said:

yeah , was hoping to run with a few but , worst off if RHS or CUP , id be more than happy, when you say  don't distributed over steam workshop, are you referring to? like posting missions? I'm having a real dumb moment. sorry 

No no, we encourage missions to be shared amongst the steam workshop, but due to conflict between our license and steam's license we will not be uploading our mod or allowing others to do so on the steam workshop until the license is changed basically.

• Like 1

Just now, Barden said:

No no, we encourage missions to be shared amongst the steam workshop, but due to conflict between our license and steam's license we will not be uploading our mod or allowing others to do so on the steam workshop until the license is changed basically.

ok, gotcha. thanks for the info.. few days ill have a plane rage dm  with your mod . :O)

• Like 2

cba, errors with this mod? or is it me.

[XEH]: Man does not support Extended Event Handlers! Addon: heli
No class uns_Mo_cluster_AP
No ammo class uns_Mo_cluster_AP

Great mod guys, very well done, thanks for the work.  Very authentic feel of being in sh*t -- walking out of the dense jungle, elephant grass, thick brush into the open sunlight of an LZ - feels like you're there.  Then the crack of a PPSH or AK wakes you up and reminds you to get back into the bush!

Anyhow, I'm an SP player and I noticed Eggbeast has some good Steam mission favs but seem many I want to try are for the Bravo/Charlie release.  Do those still work with the Delta release?  I'm going to try a few tomorrow after work, but figured I'd ask here first.  Also, any good Steam Unsung campaigns for SP in Steam anybody can point me to?  

Thanks again for the fantastic mod.  

Good day,

DrDetroit

ok welcome to the suck man.

anything after alpha is forward compatible. alpha was a glitch in the classname system, so any old (like 18 months+) missions made for it need recovering and converting.

anything made for bravo onwards will work with the current (delta) release and any future releases we make in A3.

the easy way to know if you have an alpha mission is if your mission has any assets in it starting NAM_xx like NAM_m16 or NAM_URAL as these were replaced in bravo

charlie onwards uses Apex foliage in several key maps. delta has 7 non-apex maps added

a lot of mp missions can be played in sp, just don't expect to complete them in your game time-frame.

also, check out the atmosphere in a good MP game with a solid unit - well worth a try.

• Like 2