Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

I am getting this without Alive.

Definitely a huge overall improvement here from 1.66. No hard fps figures, as I really haven`t felt the need to check. Running the altis/stratis benchmarks nets me around 3 extra fps with my settings over the previous stable build.

Overall, the performance is definitely much smoother. No stuttering at all loading in textures or geometry. Much more slick in entering/exiting vehicles. Scope and focus/zoom no longer causes the initial horrendous laggy stutter it used to. Even the slow loading of the map textures while zooming out in briefings, etc is gone. I`ve also been able to increase my view distance by a fair old amount for no penalty, so I certainly can`t complain. No sign *yet* of the 3fps plague either, although I`m sure it isn`t fixed, just pushed back by a good few hours (which is a start at least).

Very happy overall with the 64-bit release. I wasn`t expecting miracles at all, and it hasn`t delivered any. It has however made the game feel much less clunky and unoptimised in a lot of areas which is never going to be a bad thing :)

7 hours ago, darkfurby1 said:

You guys running Arma on a laptop?

No, i'm not. I have a not-great computer (Phenom II x6, gtx 770, 8gb ram) But I didn't get this sound glitching/lag thing for like a year, as soon as 64 bit came in I'm getting it again.

The overall performance seems to be fine if not better but as soon as I lag i'm getting the super glitchy sound thing.

You guys running Arma on a laptop?

Yes I am, I had this same problem but managed to fix it. Went into NVDIA graphics settings and re-added arma as a program (make sure its the right one by launching arma in 64bit, then selecting from recent programs) and changed it from default, which had been integrated, to the actual NVDIA card. Back to my normal fps i used to have with 32bit, if not better

• Like 1

This video from some other guy shows the same issue that I have, once my FPS starts to dip, I get this problem:

Video

I stopped getting this maybe about a year ago or something, it was seemingly fixed but now with 64 bit I am getting it again.

My sound is on 48khz and 24 bit. Im using an audio interface ( not a "gaming" sound card) but I did not have this problem for a long time until this 64 bit update. Dwarden said this issue had been fixed a long time ago I believe, but I am getting it again.

Edit: I was playing again and didnt seem to get the issue any further, not sure what fixed but it seems to be gone so far.

Reveal hidden contents

I posted else where about this, but this is probably more suited here, i know the update wasnt guaranteed  more fps it was more to do with stutter etc, now...i do get way more fps on occasion after the update (100+ fps), but it goes up and down (mostly down) -25 fps

this is on standard arma and modded (i know mods will decrease performance)

In the campaigns i was getting an average of 50fps now i get 15-20 on average

my system 

-i7 6700k 4.1ghz

-16gb corsair dominator 2666hz

-rx480 nitro oc 1450/2222hz

-500gb samsung evo ssd

not the best setup in the world but should definitly being getting more than 15fps average even with armas optimization issues.

Can you look something up for me please: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

i couldn't find this setting in the amd radeon software anywhere and i couldn't detect my intel display adaptor via device manager so i could manually disable it, i will have a look in the bios and see if i can turn off automatic gpu switching or something.

i did notice though, now this didnt work all the time but it did most of the time, when im on the standard arma campaign (drawdown - for testing) i get 15-25fps but iv noticed if i hit esc to the pause screen wait a few seconds and my fps shoots up to 100+fps and then i hit esc again back into the game and my frames stay 100+ for a good bit then they drop back down to 15-25 and then i just repeat the same thing over and over (low fps, hit pause, high fps, then low fps, hit pause....), i can hear my fans ramping up to (specifically my cpu fans) i thought at first i was hitting a thermal throttle, but iv monitored the temps/frequencies and highest temps are 56'C at 4.1ghz (35% cpu usage), i could see where the frames went up each time on the temp/freq monitor, so now im thinking its something wrong with either my chip or as stated its just the update?

i have also tested switching to 32bit but in 32bit i dont get above 25fps in any scenario just stays really low.

i will try and disable my on-board graphics to rule that out now

...again i got on average 40-50 before the update.

UPDATE!

nope it was exactly what you said (the on-board gpu), disabled gpu from bios and now im getting a steady 90-190fps.....in arma terms this is amazing!!, hopefully thats my problems sorted, gona test some more, thanks for your advice man!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyingpig said:

Definitely a huge overall improvement here from 1.66. No hard fps figures, as I really haven`t felt the need to check. Running the altis/stratis benchmarks nets me around 3 extra fps with my settings over the previous stable build.

Overall, the performance is definitely much smoother. No stuttering at all loading in textures or geometry. Much more slick in entering/exiting vehicles. Scope and focus/zoom no longer causes the initial horrendous laggy stutter it used to. Even the slow loading of the map textures while zooming out in briefings, etc is gone. I`ve also been able to increase my view distance by a fair old amount for no penalty, so I certainly can`t complain. No sign *yet* of the 3fps plague either, although I`m sure it isn`t fixed, just pushed back by a good few hours (which is a start at least).

Very happy overall with the 64-bit release. I wasn`t expecting miracles at all, and it hasn`t delivered any. It has however made the game feel much less clunky and unoptimised in a lot of areas which is never going to be a bad thing :)

I agree with you! Today I received the update 1. 68 and was pleasantly surprised)

I just ran YAAB on 1.68 x64 and got under 30 fps and it never used more than 4GB ram despite having 16GB, i5 3570K, GTX970, SSD. Was hoping for moar... /sadface

As usual the AMD FX are completely out of question.

How is possible that the 64 bits extensions created by AMD dont have any perfomance improvement in this game?

I think that the combo NVIDIA PHYSX+ NVIDIA GAMEWORKS is like a "toxic device" to this game and the devs cant do nothing to fix this.

@djotaconyou do realize that those 64-bit extensions do exist on both Intel and AMD right ? (x86-64)

Greetings.

I know freetrack question has been mentioned here ten times already, and I have read it all.

Since this update  mentions that 64-bit exe now supports 64-bit FreeTrack dll. 

(but is there a 64-bit FreeTrack dll?)

Freetrack has not been updated since 2008. I can get it to work with Arma 3 32-bit exe, but not 64-bit.

Is the problem on my side?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwarden said:

@djotaconyou do realize that those 64-bit extensions do exist on both Intel and AMD right ? (x86-64)

That's I dont understand why in the AMD the benefits are nearly zero ( I'm speaking about fps).

One of my theories is based in the PHYSX + NVIDIA GAMEWORKS based in the sudden fps drops when there's explosions but is only a theory.

6 minutes ago, djotacon said:

That's I dont understand why in the AMD the benefits are nearly zero.

One of my theories is based in the PHYSX + NVIDIA GAMEWORKS based in the sudden fps drops when there's explosions but is only a theory.

It has nothing to do with AMD vs. Intel or Nvidia physx/gameworks.

The reason the FX doesn't work well in Arma is it's poor single threaded performance. The FX is best in embarrasingly parallel tasks. In Arma, you are better off with a cheap dual core with strong single threaded performance.

I just updated ArmA 3 and I just come here to say Thank you SO much BI game performance overwhelmingly improved for me in 64bit update.

:eyeheart:

5 hours ago, Brisse said:

It has nothing to do with AMD vs. Intel or Nvidia physx/gameworks.

The reason the FX doesn't work well in Arma is it's poor single threaded performance. The FX is best in embarrasingly parallel tasks. In Arma, you are better off with a cheap dual core with strong single threaded performance.

I think we're talking about different things.

I'm not speaking about the IPC in a FX, I'm speaking about 32 vs 64 on AMD FX or I dont see the difference in the fps or there's another type of benefit that I can a make a bench. this properly.

But now in fps the impact of change the code ( 32 to 64 ) have nearly 0 benefits (I'm using YAAB test)

1 hour ago, djotacon said:

I think we're talking about different things.

I'm not speaking about the IPC in a FX, I'm speaking about 32 vs 64 on AMD FX or I dont see the difference in the fps or there's another type of benefit that I can a make a bench. this properly.

But now in fps the impact of change the code ( 32 to 64 ) have nearly 0 benefits (I'm using YAAB test)

If you read the the few 64 bit threads that are around. You'll notice you're not the only one getting no fps improvments on yaabb. Intel /amd / nvidia it don't matter. 

Personally from missions I played on. It was smoother. Better view distances. 

54 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

If you read the the few 64 bit threads that are around. You'll notice you're not the only one getting no fps improvments on yaabb. Intel /amd / nvidia it don't matter. 

Personally from missions I played on. It was smoother. Better view distances. 

I read comments from the entire world, - not only in  this forum - and there's mixed reviews, some people report a massive increase of fps and all are saying that 64 bits gives to them worse fps that 32bits over the INTEL PLATFORM.

But I can't see any post over the world with more fps inside the AMD platform, even worse the If the reports are true even on the RYZEN platform - reading the RYZEN thread in this forum - the increase of fps is very poor with a processor with a 50% better IPC (RYZEN vs FX), thats why I have the theory there's a black hand ( NVIDIA + INTEL agreement ) and the Arma 3 game is showing this.

Based on my own setup and after make a huge amount of test I dont see any benefits (fps speaking) using 64 bits right.

Obviously 64bits conversion is a new main exe and probably will be better across the time but right now...

Switching between 32bit and 63bit using YAAB - I'm getting 20.5fps on 32bit, and 23.1 on 64bit.

with no mods and most settings on Very High.

• Like 2

Guys can u please share your max ram usage during gameplay? Mine will never go above 5.5 GB using the 64 bit executable.

I have noticed very bad lag and sound cracking/popping when getting into and trying to fly helicopters. First I thought it would be all air vehicles but so far only happens in helicopters. Everything else about the game is smooth in 64bit.

You guys MUST KIDDING ME.... I have i7 x64... And for me, as well as for thousands of others, the update broke the game..https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123784

The thing is, after I literarly tried EVERYTHING - even windows reinstallation, NOTHING HELPED and I am unable to play arma 3 for 3 days now... How can even a company release and force an update which ruins thegame for the plenty of active players?! Seriously this is fcking insane.... I am about to claim back the purchased game, addons and dlcs... 

28 minutes ago, Att Kaz said:

You guys MUST KIDDING ME.... I have i7 x64... And for me, as well as for thousands of others, the update broke the game..https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123784

The thing is, after I literarly tried EVERYTHING - even windows reinstallation, NOTHING HELPED and I am unable to play arma 3 for 3 days now... How can even a company release and force an update which ruins thegame for the plenty of active players?! Seriously this is fcking insane.... I am about to claim back the purchased game, addons and dlcs... 

https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00064

A Legacy Build Steam branch is available for advanced users. It contains the previous significant main branch version (1.66). It can be used to compare specific changes between major releases. The access code for this branch is: Arma3Legacy166

Can you try running the previous version of the game? It may help up to a fix for the stable version.

To access it :

• right click on "Arma 3" in your Steam library
  • properties
  • Beta tab
  • in the text field, paste "Arma3Legacy166"
  • check code
  • select "legacy build 1.66" in the list above the text field.

(labels names may differ, I translated it on the go)

Aside of it, I totally understand that you're irritated, but this kind of aggressiveness is generally not enjoyed on this forum.

x64 works beautifully. Great performance increase, love it! 

i7 4770

GTX 760

16gb DDR3 RAM

3 hours ago, Att Kaz said:

Try updating. Or reinstalling below  32 bit and the 64. Try both.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632 from here.