Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

3 minutes ago, x3kj said:

"on a budget" has a very relevant time stamp on it I also put mine together on a budget. Except when A3 was released. That means 2GB less GPU memory in direct comparison for example.

Effective memory usage gets worse over time too, so if you just play 2h in a small infantry mission and then close the game, its a different matter entirely compared to playing 6h on some warfare server utilising the whole map with modded units, or many different missions on different terrains and different units. In dslyexci's videos for example he occasionally had to leave and come back because he ran out of memory.

Is this one of the reasons why closing down all unnecessary background tasks is actually quite important? 

I use razor cortex to do this, other than that, I've no idea why I've never been plagued by the 3FPS, stuttering, and crashes, all I know is that as much as I wanted 64 bit to be like some sort of magic genie, it didn't do anything for me visually, apart from lose 10% in FPS.

Is this one of the reasons why closing down all unnecessary background tasks is actually quite important? 

Not really. Its 2 problems. Arma can keep some stuff in memory it doesnt really need and that accumulates over time. When that happens the app itself (or other apps externally) need to flush used memory and reload all data. Or you restart the app yourself. And in some cases the stuff in memory it needs to keep (fast changes in scenery, or large view distances) is too much for 32bit application -> constant replacement  of data in memory necessary -> lot of streaming from data drive -> stuttering because of slow load times when using HDD. In OFP days the engine constantly streamed most stuff from HDD because ram was limited and HDD was fast enough. Now its a different matter. Data required is too large for constant streaming, memory (64bit app) is in plenty supply. Idk how much legacy "HDD streaming" is in A3. I'm certain this area has not been left alone for more then a decade...

Closing background processses just frees up a small amount of additional processing capacity on cpu, which you need because arma is mostly single threaded so most is happening on a single core. After loading times from HDD, CPU is the second largest bottleneck in Arma.

• Like 2

I was like everyone else with the hype of the 64 bit, but I was a little bit disappointed with the drop in FPS, nothing had changed in the hardware, it could possibly have been a GPU upgrade, but I'm not into the technical aspects of the game, I'm all about the death and destruction. 

Thank you for your explanations.

btw - how the game can tank fps when loading stuff into the game can be shown very easily for the extreme case of spawning a single model ingame that has not been binarized (compressed). The whole game will freeze for several seconds until it is loaded. The same thing happens for all normal (binarized) models that have to be newly loaded (or re-reloaded) into memory, just with much less impact. When it becomes too many models however, or at a too high frequency, you will get noticeable frame dips. So if the game has limited memory and has to "kick out" stuff to be able to stay below the limit cosntanly, only for it to reload it back after a short time - then you will get continuous frame drops and "chugging".

• Like 1

On 31.01.2017 at 0:47 AM, rezss said:

x64:

x64_52fps.png

x64_rivatuner.png

x86:

x86_49fps.png

x86_rivatuner.png

Specs:

i7 7700k @5Ghz

DDR4 18-19-19-39 16GB @3866MHz

Geforce 1080

850 EVO 1TB

Resolution 3440x1440

Fullscreen Window Mode (Windows Insider Bug :/)

FPS not changed, but smaller Frametime is even more important factor for smoother gameplay thats a deal

• Like 1

Land Huron in water so it damages the engine and x64.exe will crash with the memory error.  Only happens with the Huron.

piQFnGZ.jpg

• Like 1

If you were so kind and provided us with a crash dump then maybe we'll be able to do something about it ;)

• Like 3

On 2017-02-16 at 7:32 PM, kridian said:

Land Huron in water so it damages the engine and x64.exe will crash with the memory error.  Only happens with the Huron.

I've been having that error constantly in RC at completely random times. I'll have to see if it continues and I'll post my memory dumps in the RC thread if it does.

On the earlier topic of "unplayability", I feel it really depends on what one's definition of "unplayable" is. The way I see it I can enjoy Altis Life life no problem if I avoid conflict. Hell, I can get 70fps solid in certain parts of Altis. But if I were to attempt to play King of the Hill or Wasteland competitively 32-bit is "unplayable". The instant that anyone shoots at me I'm completely crippled as my game essentially locks up and leaves me unable to return fire. I don't think any of the previous posts were hyperbole, just mis-worded to not properly explain the situation. Like that one guy that said he was getting 40fps and the game was "unplayable" was probably getting 40fps walking or driving around and then getting 0.2fps when flying over a town or under heavy fire.

When using the eden editor, if you place an object say a a10 with crew, then press the delete key or go to the side menu and delete the object you get a crash, black screen of death and a status access violation.

Edited by RCANTEC

19 hours ago, Comforse said:

My game crashes as soon as i try to launch it :( 

Hey there, Have you tried to verify the integrity of your game cache with Steam? Maybe there are some corrupt files which cause the trouble.

Any placed object then deleted causes crash BSOD. Total blackout. Status access violation in Eden editor. 

1 minute ago, RCANTEC said:

Any placed object then deleted causes crash BSOD.

unless your computer froze up and could only be restarted by cutting the power, its not a BSOD.

49 minutes ago, RCANTEC said:

I forgot the part about how your looking over my shoulder when it happened, so you know for sure I didn't cut the power... 

How about getting back to the topic. Also no need for multiple posts. You can simply edit your first reply when necessary. Have a nice weekend and chill you all :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCANTEC said:

Clearly I am not, Maybe your brain-dead?

Perhaps I was joking?

You know, for someone new here who is asking for help, you are being a bit of an arse.

• Like 1

Don't be a dickhead yea.

I knew what a BSOD was before you were born.

Obviously neither of you have a valid, intelligent response to my post, which show 2 things, 1 you don't have a remedy for the bug, or issue I am having, and 2 you have no life and want to poke holes in what I am saying. Being a computer engineer I think I know what a fucking BSOD is.

If you claim to be senior and a computer engineer then maybe act like it? Accurate Bug reports with accurate description (BSOD and BkSOD are not the same thing), posting logs, crash dumps, dxdiag log, etc. You did none of that. Instead you throw a fit, spam posts and act real "mature".

• Like 4

@road runner Touched on something (whether intentional or not...) and that was closing down unnecessary background tasks. Going back to my second PC (IBM PS/2) I have always been militant about resource usage. My startup programs are quite sparse. I don't run Discord, Spotify, YouTube or 20 Chrome tabs running in the background. Before each gaming session, my computer gets a fresh boot and I only run those progs that I need. Overkill? Probably, but I don't have >95% of the issues that others complain about. Is this the sole solution? Probably not, but it sure isn't hurting. I had someone say the other day (and I'm obviously paraphrasing here) "But, I have a top spec i7 with all the go fast parts money can buy, I should be able to run EVERYTHING and STILL play A3 on Ultra". My response was "you can try, but don't cry to me when it doesn't work". A3 is far from perfect, but certain tried and true methods "just work". 

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
  • Like 2

The 64bit RC works ok for me, smooth frames, no slowing in cities or with heavy AI action compared to 32 bit.

No parameters set in launcher, as i set some, i got a memory crash, but without parameters it works like a charm for me, 3 hour long sessions are no problem.

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but I've had it since 64bit day 1. I get massive FPS drop while driving/riding in vehicles in 1st person. 3rd person is fine, and I get a general performance increase in everything else over 32 bit, except 1st person vehicles, which makes the game unplayable. Its also accompanied by this static sound coming out of my headphones. it almost feels like a memory leak. I'm running AMD FX-8320, GTX770, 16GB DDR3, Win10 x64

• Like 1

10 hours ago, supercereal4 said:

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but I've had it since 64bit day 1. I get massive FPS drop while driving/riding in vehicles in 1st person. 3rd person is fine, and I get a general performance increase in everything else over 32 bit, except 1st person vehicles, which makes the game unplayable. Its also accompanied by this static sound coming out of my headphones. it almost feels like a memory leak. I'm running AMD FX-8320, GTX770, 16GB DDR3, Win10 x64

Turn Picture in Picture off and re-test.

13 hours ago, supercereal4 said:

Same problem for me, I managed to "fix" this by changing the number of audio channels, from 8 channels into 4 or 2. (if you have a sound card or such settings for headphones)

6 hours ago, vafana said:

Same problem for me, I managed to "fix" this by changing the number of audio channels, from 8 channels into 4 or 2. (if you have a sound card or such settings for headphones)

looks like it was an issue with my Corsair audio driver. I uninstalled it and now it's working fine!