Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

21 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I had a GTX 760-changed to a 980 and it did not make a massive difference. It just meant i could up some of the fancier settings like PIP and clouds etc. If you plan on updating one of those components-I would choose the CPU. Biggest thing I did for performance improvements was get an SSD

Completely agreed - one of my mates runs a 980 and an i5, standard clocks on both. I run a 760 and an i7, both decently overclocked; otherwise our setups are identical. My i7 is 1.1GHz faster than his i5 and in nearly every multiplayer mission I get around twenty FPS more than he does despite the fact that my graphics settings are higher.

Quick edit to discourage beako from going to an i7 solely for ArmA: Unless things have changed incredibly since 2014, what hyperthreading does for ArmA is not worth a hundred dollars. As long as I've been playing this game, double digit FPS increases have come from clockspeed increases.

• Like 1

Exactly. Anyway-we have strayed a little offtopic-so we'll get back to talking about the 64bit exe now :D

17 minutes ago, colonelhartigan said:

Completely agreed - one of my mates runs a 980 and an i5, standard clocks on both. I run a 760 and an i7, both decently overclocked; otherwise our setups are identical. My i7 is 1.1GHz faster than his i5 and in nearly every multiplayer mission I get around twenty FPS more than he does despite the fact that my graphics settings are higher.

Quick edit to discourage beako from going to an i7 solely for ArmA: Unless things have changed incredibly since 2014, what hyperthreading does for ArmA is not worth a hundred dollars. As long as I've been playing this game, double digit FPS increases have come from clockspeed increases.

Thanks folks,

I "YAABed" my build and got 27 fps on 64 bit, with Ultra and 3000 view distance. At 6000 view distance I got 26 fps. 

2 hours ago, ibanez89 said:

May I ask how is this relevant to 64 bit executable?

EDIT: Maybe you do have virus on your PC? Mine scans clean https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/448260cf83963ade86cd13d4b807c959047ecf767a48a248c2f04fa030fd9144/analysis/1483494417/

Edited by killzone_kid
link

7 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

May I ask how is this relevant to 64 bit executable?

EDIT: Maybe you do have virus on your PC? Mine scans clean https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/448260cf83963ade86cd13d4b807c959047ecf767a48a248c2f04fa030fd9144/analysis/1483494417/

because is the yesterday update of the dev. branch? sorry if i have made a mistake, if you know, pleae tell me the right section to post this problm

RE EDIT: if you can, you can send the arma3.exe to virustotal or simply post the arma3.exe SHA256? tx for the help

Hello,

On my main rig (5960x @4ghz, 3 Way 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 and 32 gb of 3200Mhz DDR 4) i feel that the game run smoother on 64 bits version for both Tanoa and Altis.

Is there any Arma 3 benchmark that i could run to see it with numbers ?

57 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

tx for the help, i have redownloaded the game and i have the same your arma3.exe, i thik was only a false positive of corrupted data, my system result virus free... Tx for the help. I will continue to test the 64bit version of arma 3

2 hours ago, er1c said:

Hello,

On my main rig (5960x @4ghz, 3 Way 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 and 32 gb of 3200Mhz DDR 4) i feel that the game run smoother on 64 bits version for both Tanoa and Altis.

Is there any Arma 3 benchmark that i could run to see it with numbers ?

YAAB (Yet Another Arma Benchmark)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418

Great thanks ! Is it 64bit compatable ? I will try this evening.

1 hour ago, er1c said:

Great thanks ! Is it 64bit compatable ? I will try this evening.

AFAIK all missions are 64-bit compatible. Only a minority of mods (ACE3, ACRE2) are incompatible and a few peripherals (TrackIR, joysticks).

3 hours ago, domokun said:

AFAIK all missions are 64-bit compatible. Only a minority of mods (ACE3, ACRE2) are incompatible and a few peripherals (TrackIR, joysticks).

Actually check out this page for an unofficial ACE3 x64 version. 

Hi

Back despite a shitload of RL issues (and narrowly avoiding an RD issue) I thought I could do something useful by bughunting the 64-bit dev exe.

I have never run dev branch before. I cannot do so now. Despite being logged in to my STEAMing-pile-of **** account and successfullly launcing AMA3 tools on the Steaming-pile-of ****, I keep getting this error:

Logging in user XXXX_xxxxxxx to Steam Public... Login Password Failure: Invalid Password

Login failure: Invalid Steam Password, please retry.

WTF?

Gahh, earlier today I used a shoddy piece of garbage called the ArmA 3 launcher - it proceeded to RE-download all the CUP material I had let the Steaming-pile-of **** update yesterday. Caught it before ir blew all my monthly bandwidth and a fuckofaloadmore. (i rarely swear on public fora, but this shit seems to have hit a number of people -  including the inestimable Foxhound - and all  BIS do is bleat the equivalent of  'it's nothing to do with us guv, call the Gas Board.' *

Can anyone advise me how to download firstly the game updater and then (only!) the 64-bit client (only!)?

TIA

Orc

* Older Brits may recall this phrase from a sketch on a very funny BBC TV comedy show called " Not the Nine O'Clock News". with Pamela Stevenson and a grotesque set of stick on teeth playing Esther Rantzen.

Crash to a read memory error (you know the ones) after flying/driving/shooting on Tanoa for about ~40 minutes. (No mods)  x64_crash_dumps_01-04-17.zip

Looked through the .RPT and found lots of bone errors. ie:

Error: Bone weapon doesn't exist in skeleton Turtle_F
Error: Bone launcher doesn't exist in skeleton Turtle_F
Error: Bone rightarm doesn't exist in skeleton Turtle_F
Error: Bone righthand doesn't exist in skeleton Turtle_F

5 hours ago, orcinus said:

Hi

Back despite a shitload of RL issues (and narrowly avoiding an RD issue) I thought I could do something useful by bughunting the 64-bit dev exe.

I have never run dev branch before. I cannot do so now. Despite being logged in to my STEAMing-pile-of **** account and successfullly launcing AMA3 tools on the Steaming-pile-of ****, I keep getting this error:

WTF?

Gahh, earlier today I used a shoddy piece of garbage called the ArmA 3 launcher - it proceeded to RE-download all the CUP material I had let the Steaming-pile-of **** update yesterday. Caught it before ir blew all my monthly bandwidth and a fuckofaloadmore. (i rarely swear on public fora, but this shit seems to have hit a number of people -  including the inestimable Foxhound - and all  BIS do is bleat the equivalent of  'it's nothing to do with us guv, call the Gas Board.' *

Can anyone advise me how to download firstly the game updater and then (only!) the 64-bit client (only!)?

TIA

Orc

* Older Brits may recall this phrase from a sketch on a very funny BBC TV comedy show called " Not the Nine O'Clock News". with Pamela Stevenson and a grotesque set of stick on teeth playing Esther Rantzen.

You need to keep the profanity down, and chill out too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kridian said:

Crash to a read memory error (you know the ones) after flying/driving/shooting on Tanoa for about ~40 minutes. (No mods)  x64_crash_dumps_01-04-17.zip

Sadly the Bone errors are quite common also in the normal build, both server and client side. Dose your game always crash after about 40 minutes? If it is a returning problem then try to play the game without "-hugePages".

I finally got my Arma 3 x64 Server running yesterday and i was on it for a few hours without a problem. I will post some more numbers later for both Client and Server performance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, orcinus said:

Man this quote system is horrible in mobile...

You need to download the Arma 3 Tools. Then launch the Arma 3 Tools or find the Game Updater exe. I suggest trying both ways if there's some problem. Set-up branch, path and when you set-up your login details, you also NEED the Steam Guard key. It's either sent in your email or you get it easily in phone app. If Steam doesn't send you a new one I suggest you trigger that like login Steam in your browser.

I warn you, the Game Updater downloads the whole game in the first time, so it's over 20GB download but that's the only good way to have both main and dev branch in your PC. Other option is to replace your main branch with dev branch through Steam beta tab in Arma 3 and if you want to play the main again,  you need to opt out of the dev and download the main one again. Doing it once could be bit smaller download, but doing it multiple times or having it on for couple of days and Game Updater is 100% better way. Dev branch is updated daily, and the daily download can be many GBs. With Game Updater you can decide when to update, so it's safer for you that way.

There's no way to have some kind of small 64-bit client only download.

Oh also if you download the game through Game Updater, the game is launched where the installation folder is. Use the launcer that's there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kridian said:

As GanX said, this spam is in the vanilla 32-bit game and has been for years. I really wish they would clean whatever that's causing that up.

15 hours ago, road runner said:

You need to keep the profanity down, and chill out too.

You're right, ofc. It was an exceptionally annoying day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Man this quote system is horrible in mobile...

You need to download the Arma 3 Tools. Then launch the Arma 3 Tools or find the Game Updater exe. I suggest trying both ways if there's some problem. Set-up branch, path and when you set-up your login details, you also NEED the Steam Guard key. It's either sent in your email or you get it easily in phone app. If Steam doesn't send you a new one I suggest you trigger that like login Steam in your browser.

I warn you, the Game Updater downloads the whole game in the first time, so it's over 20GB download but that's the only good way to have both main and dev branch in your PC. Other option is to replace your main branch with dev branch through Steam beta tab in Arma 3 and if you want to play the main again,  you need to opt out of the dev and download the main one again. Doing it once could be bit smaller download, but doing it multiple times or having it on for couple of days and Game Updater is 100% better way. Dev branch is updated daily, and the daily download can be many GBs. With Game Updater you can decide when to update, so it's safer for you that way.

There's no way to have some kind of small 64-bit client only download.

Oh also if you download the game through Game Updater, the game is launched where the installation folder is. Use the launcer that's there.

It's horrible even on a PC, I wouldn't dream of logging on here with my Blackberry.

I have ArmA tools installed, & having read relevant Wiki pages first I tried to run Game Updater from the ArmA tools launched from Steam.I got an error window telling me "Login failure: Invalid Steam Password, please retry" which is nonsense. The text behind it was

Spoiler

[05/01/2017 04:53:28] GameUpdater ready
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Monitor started
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Prepare update
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->username:='orca_orcinus'
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->userpass:={STRING}
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->guard:=''
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->game->installdir:='D:\Arma3dev'
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->game->appid:='107410'
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->game->branch:='Development'
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Steam->game->validate:='True'
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Parameters validated
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] stdout ready
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Delegate to the subsystem
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] New ProcessThread
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] ProcessThread.id is 3708
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] ProcessThread.state = Running
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] ProcessThread.priority = 8
[05/01/2017 04:53:28] Update started at 16:53
[05/01/2017 04:53:30] Game Updater (c) Bohemia Interactive
[05/01/2017 04:53:30] Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
[05/01/2017 04:53:30] Loading Steam API...OK.
[05/01/2017 04:53:35] Logging in user 'orca_orcinus' to Steam Public...Login Failure: Invalid Password
[05/01/2017 04:53:36] 0
[05/01/2017 04:53:36] End of task
[05/01/2017 04:58:43] FAILED with result code 5
[05/01/2017 04:58:54] ERROR! Failed to request AppInfo update, not online or not logged in to Steam.

The username & password were correct, copied & pasted from my password safe just as for Steam itself. Closing the error box produced another list of possible errors, none of which seemed to apply. I did all again from scratch with the same result. The system still had not installed Game Updater (though there are plenty of files includin the exes in the subdirectory in ArmA 3 Tools (which is up-to-date and was verified yesterday).

OK so I tried again. Now it's installing both the 32-bit and the 64-bit in the Arma3Dev directory - about 25GB thus far - so I guess it must have been a system glitch at one or both ends.

Thanks very much for the advice, especially the warning about the Steam autoupdating - that was the reason I never installed dev branch, on mobile BB the costs could be bankrupting :eek:

Cheers

Orc

Edit: you could expand your message a little & repost it as a hopefully stickied mini guide; perhaps adding a caution about possible password limitations in GU, see R3vo's post.

O,

Edited by orcinus
Additional comment

12 hours ago, GanX said:

Does your game always crash after about 40 minutes? If it is a returning problem then try to play the game without "-hugePages".

Let's just say that every version of the x64.exe so far has crashed with a "memory cannot be read" error.  I tried it without the "-hugePages" parameter but no joy. Now I'll test the other memory allocators.

1 hour ago, kridian said:

Let's just say that every version of the x64.exe so far has crashed with a "memory cannot be read" error.  I tried it without the "-hugePages" parameter but no joy. Now I'll test the other memory allocators.

I have actually not had an error like that yet. Can you provide some details about your hardware like CPU,GPU,Memory?

1 hour ago, GanX said:

I have actually not had an error like that yet. Can you provide some details about your hardware like CPU,GPU,Memory?

Computer specs are at the bottom of my sig. GTX 980 Ti • Intel i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz • Samsung SSD • 32GB G.Skill 2400Mhz DDR3 RAM • Win7 x64

Might try it without my overclock later. Never know.

NoPOW, yes my pagefile is enabled.