Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

Did some more testing last night. Parameters at default so the EXE can select best ram settings.

Tested this mission from beginning to end with ACE3, Blastcore Edited, Laxmann Dynasound and Environment Effects, and required mods (mainly clothing).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310629400&searchtext=ufo

With 32 bit dev build, I would run out of memory half way into the mission AFTER seeing the Scientist (mission 2) and get terrible LOD errors without textures. It looks like playing Operation Flashpoint on the lowest settings.

Ran it 4 times, same results.

With 64 bit, I finished the mission on the first try with no issues.

Definitely smoother especially when transition between LODs and streaming in assets. You can see it when driving from objective to objective.

System - Win 7 64 Pro, 32 GB 2400 DDR3 RAM, AMD 6970 2 GB unlocked CFX, Game and OS on SSD.

My settings due to my 5+ year old gpu:

Everything on LOW except:

Textures - Ultra

Objects - Standard

Terrain - Standard

Water Shader - Ultra

Particles - High or Very high

Anistropic filtering - Ultra

3800 view distance

3800 object distance

Blur, DOF - OFF

AA - OFF completely including FXAA and SMAA

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have NO SOUND with the 64-bit executable. Sound works fine in 32-bit. I deleted the files under Documents in my user profile and completely removed the game. I then reinstalled it on a different hard drive. 

My system is as follows:

Windows 10 64-bit (fully updated)

Core i7-2600k

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

16GB RAM

ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC

Sound devices I've tried:

ASUS Xonar DSX internal sound card

S.M.S.L. M2 headphone DAC/AMP

Topping MX2 headphone DAC/AMP

I don't know what else I can do to make the sound work in 64-bit.

Edited by john coleman

Freetracknoir (facetrack) and TrackerIR are no longer an option in my controller settings. Its logged by default in my actual control settings under "view". I really hope you can find a work around. Only way I fix it is if I got back to 32

• Like 1

Are there any 64 bit binaries for servers? I tried adding the development branch to my linux server but I do not see any 64 bit binaries.

[steamcmd@removed arma3_01]$ ls -l | grep arma
-rwxrwxr-x  1 steamcmd steamcmd  37163196 Dec 11 20:33 arma3server
-rwxrwxr-x  1 steamcmd steamcmd      3919 Dec  3 22:36 arma3server_readme.txt

[steamcmd@removed arma3_01]$ file arma3server
arma3server: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=188aa4e475d3014e50d189938f7b372a2ac2c0fc, stripped

[steamcmd@removed arma3_01]$ cat ./boot.txt | grep app
app_update 233780  -beta development validate

Unfortunately, 64-bit Linux binaries are not yet ready. We'll try to bring it to you as soon as possible the next year, though :)

• Like 4

This may be a dumb question but is the non-64bit version of tbb4malloc_bi compatible with Arma3_x64.exe?

I am one of the people who has seen a decrease in frames when running the 64bit exe so I was experimenting with different malloc options and strangely I seem to get the best performance when combining Arma3_x64.exe with tbb4malloc_bi instead of tbb4malloc_bi_x64. I guess this could be more unstable though?

System for reference:

i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz

GTX970 4Gb

16Gb RAM @ 3.2GHz

Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Win 10 Home

3.5" floppy drive 

I haven't done extensive testing because although performance seems better in 64-bit, using the dev branch (32- or 64-bit) caused all pulldown menus in the eden editor to stop functioning.  Thus it became impossible to set up trigger activations, etc.

combining Arma3_x64.exe with tbb4malloc_bijust note

you can't combine 32bit allocator with 64bit binary, it will fallback either to the default 64-bit TBB 2017u2 or system one ...

• Like 1

I'm trying to strain my computer with a modded map and a LOT of AI - by a lot, I'm talking about approximately 700, maybe more zombies from "Ryan's Zombies and demons" mod.

I get 5 FPS and my RAM usage is stuck at 2.5GBs (I have 32GBs and in total maxed out at 20% RAM and CPU load). Anyone able to shed a light on why?

Chl36eH.png

Why is this not bumping my RAM usage up at the very least? Yes, I chose the 64-bit client from Arma 3 Tools version of dev branch, run as administrator.

Is it because the mods were made on the old 32 bit architecture? Is there any way anyone can suggest to really push my RAM/CPU to its limits?

EDIT:

Even with an insane amount of smoke with very high Attribute settings:

yFIIazb.png

7OJnQPn.png

RAM usage still lacklustre even with no mods.

Loading terrain data uses RAM, not loading AI. AI will mostly use CPU and what you are seeing is likely a core or two going 100% and the rest isn't doing as much. Switch to the performance tap, click cpu, right click the graph and show logical processors. There you'll have a better view on whats going on CPU wise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Loading terrain data uses RAM, not loading AI. AI will mostly use CPU and what you are seeing is likely a core or two going 100% and the rest isn't doing as much. Switch to the performance tap, click cpu, right click the graph and show logical processors. There you'll have a better view on whats going on CPU wise.

RRIz6gP.png

I'm not seeing flat-out usage with the smoke, but 5fps.

The 2 spikes were when I turned to look at the smoke and stayed looking for about a minute. Barely any usage going on here unless I'm missing something?

Because memory usage doesn't work that way. What you are saying is "I have this movie in my hard drive, I open it up in 50 media player windows and play it at the same time, it's still taking up the same amount of room on my hard drive".

Think of RAM as incredibly fast storage, game stores things into that storage so it can access it faster without having to talk to really slow storage that is SSD's and HDD's. The RAM usage is "stuck" because there is nothing else to load in there, fly around that same island, and you'll see RAM usage skyrocket. Increase your viewdistance, and so on.

More RAM isn't gonna do anything in the cases which you are describing because it's like saying more seats in the car equals to faster max speed.

A single smoke particle takes up a negligible amount of RAM, so does a thousand of them, however performance impact comes from having to show them on your screen, determine how they overlap, and so on.

• Like 3

Hi,

Quick testing for me - 12k VD as I'm a huge flyer (not OVD, I keep that at the default of 1.9k), the game feels WAY smoother, on either Tanoa or Altis. Zooming in is much smoother too. Framerate doesn't really seem to be different, but I was getting good frames to start with (35-40fps in Kavala in the campaign mission "Signal Lost" for example, 1440p, MSAA 8X) so that is OK. The improvement in terms of asset streaming/loading is really amazing.

The game sucked up my 16GB of RAM in no time though, dunno if that's a leak (bad) or if it's intended that it uses as much RAM as possible (good). It didn't crash, but I noticed some pagefile usage. To be fair, I do have some stuff in the background, RAM usage is about 3.5GB without the game running.

Hope a way can be found to make TrackIR or FreeTrack work again ASAP though, can't live without it anymore.

(I'm still on Windows 7, things could be a little different on Windows 10 but I'm too lazy to set it up for now)

6 hours ago, BenitoWBAT said:

is there a way to install only the 64 bit version? i dont have enough space for both on my ssd

Switch to the Dev branch. The latest release on Dev branch offers both the 32- and 64-bit binaries.

You can you choose between the 2 binaries via the Parameters tab of the A3 Launcher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kalstoon said:

Hope a way can be found to make TrackIR or FreeTrack work again ASAP though, can't live without it anymore.

On 12/18/2016 at 2:53 PM, Lionclaw1 said:

Freetracknoir (facetrack) and TrackerIR are no longer an option in my controller settings. Its logged by default in my actual control settings under "view". I really hope you can find a work around. Only way I fix it is if I got back to 32

TrackIR needs to update their game definitions to pick up the 64bit .exe and load the 64bit .dll's so it can work again. This have been repeated a couple times on this thread. :P

• Like 2

Well I have an EDtracker and I'm using Opentrack to emulate Freetrack or TrackIR so I couldn't care less about what TrackIR does with their software :p I did try forcing a manual profile with the x64.exe but no luck so far. Arma still picks up my EDtracker but it feels clunky without TrackIR/Freetrack emulation.

I'm using FreeTrack and know the issues with NP TrackIR, but someone can tell me If the same questions about need of changes in TiR software are also needed in FreeTrack or BIS can support FreeTrack use in ArmA3 64 bits without changes in FreeTrack software itself?

Spent some more time with the x64 and noticed that A3 crashes every time memory usage reaches about ~3.9 GB (as seen Private Working Set in Taskmanager). Easiest way to reproduce it is to load Altis with Very High/Ultra settings and VD 12K OD 12 and fly around in a heli until it reaches the ~3.9 GB limit.

Now I try with -maxmem=3500 and it haven't crashed yet, will try more tomorrow. Funny thing is that when using -maxmem=3500 I noticed memory usage in TM reached +4.2 GB and it did not crash?

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

i7 6700K @ 4.5 GHz

nVidia GTX 980 4 GB VRAM

16 GB RAM

8 GB Swapfile

Default malloc

Hope you will enjoy the holidays!

/KC

13 hours ago, domokun said:

Switch to the Dev branch. The latest release on Dev branch offers both the 32- and 64-bit binaries.

You can you choose between the 2 binaries via the Parameters tab of the A3 Launcher.

i know that, my question was if it was possible to download only the 64bit version, without the 32bit version

30 minutes ago, BenitoWBAT said:

i know that, my question was if it was possible to download only the 64bit version, without the 32bit version

When you switch branches, Steam updates your game to the dev version which contains the both executables. The total size is pretty much the same as it was before.

• Like 1

Tried the Dev branch lately, and just wanted to congratulate Bohemia teams for this major improvement.

With a quite solid PC (i7 4790K, 16G DDR3, GTX1070, non SSD HD. Im used to play with all graphic settings maxed except view and objects distance, equally set at 2000 meters on foot and 3500 in air), the stuttering that was tied to the textures or objects loading, when zooming or switching to scope mode, with weapons or binoculars for example, has almost completely disappeared. In terms of gameplay it's way smoother and more stable, improving the gameplay experience and allowing the player to extend the visibility distance settings.

Also tried with Alive mod enabled through client and SP scenarios in the editor, and really, i'm wondering if switching to 64 bits has no beneficial effect on IA calculations. There is clearly less stuttering when they are spawning, and more of that, their reactions are quicker in combat or when they move. Maybe just like when we're using a headless client, to picture the things. Not an expert about CPU or RAM usage by the game for sure, but after comparing between stable and dev branch, in the same scenario, This clearly doesn't look like a simple placebo effect.

Really eager to try that with more than 8G of RAM enabled.

After "what", "why" and "how", the only remaining question is when.

Great job guys :) 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

When you switch branches, Steam updates your game to the dev version which contains the both executables. The total size is pretty much the same as it was before.

rly? cuz my update was 15gb and i had to delete my mods to be able to install the 64bit version...

7 minutes ago, BenitoWBAT said:

rly? cuz my update was 15gb and i had to delete my mods to be able to install the 64bit version...

The dev branch adds more than just the 64-bits executable.