Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

Works great here!  This should be an option in the regular non-dev version.  Before 64-bit, there was a lot of pagefile time which was causing stuttering.

AMD Phenom II x4 980

16 gigs of ram

Just regular SATA hard disks

Sapphire RX 480 8gig

The only thing I'm noticing with using the 64 bit exe is that the fan on my PC now works harder, as I can hear it a lot more now, without benchmark tools I've no idea of improvements or not :down:

hello

At the request of severals gamers, i try to port INIDBI2 to 64 bits.

All local tests in Visual code studio are ok but it doesn't work properly with A3 DEV branch 64bits mode.

It seems arma3 doesn't load it, have you got an idea ? Does the entry point change ?

1 hour ago, road runner said:

The only thing I'm noticing with using the 64 bit exe is that the fan on my PC now works harder, as I can hear it a lot more now, without benchmark tools I've no idea of improvements or not :down:

Here you go:

And you should be able to feel the improvements even without a benchmark.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Here you go:

And you should be able to feel the improvements even without a benchmark.

Thanks R3vo, will give this a try and see how it fares

Interesting results, I have 2 different user profiles in ArmA3Sync, one for 32 bit exe , and the other using the new 64 bit exe.

The 32 bit average was 28.9

the 64 bit was 30.1 but it looked somewhat smoother during the peak action and explosions.

thanks again for this.

12 hours ago, slowrider8 said:

Playing around in the editor today without mods, Windows warned me that I was running out of memory. The game was only using around 3gb and I have 6gb of page file and 16gb of physical memory. I also have a 970 with 4gb (or I guess 3.5gb) of VRAM. A few minutes later after trying to play a mission as a character the game instantly closed without warning, though the process remained in task manager reportedly still using memory but not CPU. Also, I am using tbb4malloc_bi_x64

An important note from the RPT file:

Can provide whole RPT if required. 

Symptoms sound like the same as running without page file except just happening slower because you've some. Can you repro it if you set page file 'system managed'?

What the task manager shows is far from what the game actually requires from RAM. 

It's good to make a feedback tracker ticket and upload the rpt and crash files there.

Did anyone else notice that @shacktac_user_interface collides with the 64 bit version? Missions do not stop loading...

I did some tests on heavy benchmark.
The purpose of the test - the load on the CPU, depending on the Hyper-T off / on and allocator system / TBB4.

All_CPU.jpg

On 14/12/2016 at 2:16 PM, ribi said:

this thread serves as a place to collect feedback for Arma 3's new 64-bit executables published on Dev-Branch.

First congratulation to this important step, there is already a nice difference compared to limited 32 bit version.

This should open the door for further improvements, requiring large amount of process virtual address space.

A question/hint though, related to file/data cache implementation:

A closer look reveals, that windows file mapping API is still used, just with a larger section object (~4GB) initially created.

There are still frequently MapViewOfFile/UnmapViewOfFile calls to map 64kb windows in process virtual address space.

While this approach did make sense in 32bit implementation, i would say this is unnecessary complicated (and a wasting of resources),

considering the huge 64bit address space.

If not the caching system should be generally reworked, at least a simple adaption could be done as following:

- replace the initial CreateFileMappingA(...) by a VirtualAlloc(...) with identical size

- replace all related subsequent MapViewOfFile/UnmapViewOfFile(..., FileOffset) calls, by simple pointer arithmetic

Perhaps, to prevent windows from early paging to disc, increase the min/max workingset size, respecting systems physical memory availability.

I wish you all a nice winter holiday :)

• Like 9

I don't post on the forums much but I had to sign in just to say congratulations to the devs for this. It really is a game changer. Amazing how smooth the game is with long view distance. Stuttering has basically been eliminated. Gameplay remained smooth even as FPS dropped into the 30s during heavy combat.

This opens up so many possibilities. Jets and helicopters can now engage at realistic ranges. Jets DLC anyone? Still obviously a WIP but really looking forward to finished product now. 

Now that this "update" is out I am no longer able to play. When I run the game it opens in a black screen and then crashes with the error code of not enough memory and well as another pop up with the code "0x0000DEAD" and I am unable to figure this out. It worked perfectly without a problem on December 13th and now ever since the new and improved oh so amazing update, it no longer works. Please help me resolving this ASAP. Thanks. Also, I am not very tech savvy.....

I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled, no change. I have a decent computer that should be ok my specs are:

I7 core

8gb RAM

64 bit operating system x64 based processor

Edited by blackbird12
More information given

6 hours ago, BIS_Wizard said:

Hello code34,

a) the DLL name must end with _x64 suffix (inidbi2_x64.dll);

b) the name of the exported function in 64-bit extension is simply "RVExtension".

Thank you for your fast and efficient answer, it works now :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, code34 said:

>b) the name of the exported function in 64-bit extension is simply "RVExtension".

I would like to point this out, even though Jiri already mentioned it. You do not need to do this, VS will do this for you. Extension needs to be exported for x64 platform and the name should be xxxx_x64.dll, this is all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fred41 said:

(...)

Good to see you're still lurking these forums... ;)

Am I right that, as a 64-bit application, ArmA would even benefit more from the use of large-page memory regions?

48 minutes ago, blackbird12 said:

Now that this "update" is out I am no longer able to play. When I run the game it opens in a black screen and then crashes with the error code of not enough memory and well as another pop up with the code "0x0000DEAD" and I am unable to figure this out. It worked perfectly without a problem on December 13th and now ever since the new and improved oh so amazing update, it no longer works. Please help me resolving this ASAP. Thanks. Also, I am not very tech savvy.....

I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled, no change. I have a decent computer that should be ok my specs are:

I7 core

8gb RAM

64 bit operating system x64 based processor

You've got a really strange way of asking for help with your very first post, after it sounds like you've  slagged off the update by making the claim you can no longer play and this "ever since the new and improved oh so amazing update" ??

The only difference the latest update did was to introduce the 64 bit.exe, as the default setting in the "all parameters" of the launcher. which YOU then have to do all the rest., did you select the 64 bit tbb4maloc in the
memory allocator? 

what limit did you set the memory to?

4 minutes ago, road runner said:

You've got a really strange way of asking for help with your very first post, after it sounds like you've  slagged off the update by making the claim you can no longer play and this "ever since the new and improved oh so amazing update" ??

The only difference the latest update did was to introduce the 64 bit.exe, as the default setting in the "all parameters" of the launcher. which YOU then have to do all the rest., did you select the 64 bit tbb4maloc in the
memory allocator? 

what limit did you set the memory to?

I most definitely do have a strange way, can't go mainstream now can we? I have not done anything that you are explaining, I opened the launcher and selected the "tbb4malloc_bi" which is set to the default. I also do not see the 64bit.exe in the launcher, and it always runs in 32 bit still. And as for the memory, I didn't know that we can select the memory. Would you mind running me through the process on these?

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, blackbird12 said:

I most definitely do have a strange way, can't go mainstream now can we? I have not done anything that you are explaining, I opened the launcher and selected the "tbb4malloc_bi" which is set to the default. I also do not see the 64bit.exe in the launcher, and it always runs in 32 bit still. And as for the memory, I didn't know that we can select the memory. Would you mind running me through the process on these?

Thanks 

Are you on the Dev Build?

I am just in the Arma 3 launcher and then parameters/advanced, I don't know what the Dev Builder is. I apologize, I am not deep in the weeds for these kind of things.

4 minutes ago, road runner said:

Are you on the Dev Build?

I am just in the Arma 3 launcher and then parameters/advanced, I don't know what the Dev Builder is. I apologize, I am not deep in the weeds for these kind of things.

3 minutes ago, blackbird12 said:

If you've not got the dev build loaded, then you're in the wrong thread, you need to be in the general troubleshooting forum, this is for 64 bit exe feedback, which it sounds like you don't have, if you don't know what Dev Branch/build is.

1 hour ago, NoPOW said:

Good to see you're still lurking these forums... ;)

Am I right that, as a 64-bit application, ArmA would even benefit more from the use of large-page memory regions?

@NoPOW ... lurking, of course, especially if waked up by 64bit announcements ;)

While modern cpu's, like 'skylake', are equipped with larger TLB (translation lookaside buffers) and hence reducing the number of costly TLB misses,

the TLB's are still a bottleneck and even more for 64 bit applications, because they usually have to access more memory pages.

So yes, large page usage for code and data (in this order) will still help arma to run better.

BTW: If you remember the good old 'GMF tweak', a totaly free and very efficient way to improve memory performance,

this thing seems to work perfectly with the 64bit arma binarys again, without any executable patches.

Just the 'Lock Pages in Memory' privilege and the registry entry adapted to 'arma3_x64.exe' works flawless for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, road runner said:

If you've not got the dev build loaded, then you're in the wrong thread, you need to be in the general troubleshooting forum, this is for 64 bit exe feedback, which it sounds like you don't have, if you don't know what Dev Branch/build is.

Ah ok, thank you for your help, ill change threads!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fred41 said:

BTW: If you remember the good old 'GMF tweak', a totaly free and very efficient way to improve memory performance,

this thing seems to work perfectly with the 64bit arma binarys again, without any executable patches.

Just the 'Lock Pages in Memory' privilege and the registry entry adapted to 'arma3_x64.exe' works flawless for me.

I'll give it a try!

For those unfamiliar with this tweak:

• Like 2