thirith

Anyone using Tobii 4C?

Last week I got a Tobii 4C - a combination eye/head tracker that doesn't require any additional sensors (like TrackIR). It's already running well in Arma II/Operation Arrowhead, but at present I'm struggling to get it to work as well with Arma III.

Has anyone else here got any experience with the 4C? How have you got it set up, and what settings work well for you? Have you got Tobii Eyetracking or FreeTrack enabled in the game?

P.S.: I'm asking less for tech support and more for player experiences. If I don't manage to get it to work well with A3, I'll obviously contact Tobii.

Hi, I have the tobii eyeX one year or so.

It isn´t really helpful in A3 for me. I made it as slow as possible to track me but evene then it gives me a sick feeling after few minutes.

Also i minimized the horizontal range alot but I still used the "alt" key to look around.

To me A3 is a keyboard and mouse game.

If it was only the eye tracking, I'd probably agree with you, but it's the head tracking that got me interested in this. In Arma 2 at least, this feels at least equal to if not better than TrackIR, and since my favourite part of Arma is flying helicopters, some sort of headtracking is a vast improvement over looking around using the Alt key. When I play infantry units, I tend to deactivate the head tracking.

I'm mainly surprised that I got Arma 2 to work well with minimal fiddling, but Arma 3 with tracking seems a more complicated beast.

Hi, I got a Tobii 4C a few days ago :)

Gaze and head tracking works with the Tobii Infinite Screen Extension (version 2.0.2.574) enabled, default settings.

I would like to use only the head tracking feature, without gaze tracking.

And I still try to configure it over the Tobii Infinite Screen Extension:

Section "Gaze tracking settings"

- Gaze tracking mode: Extended View

- Responsiveness 40% (default)

- Sensitivity

Speed 1.50 (default)

Exponent: 2.00 (default)

Inflection point: 0.80 (default)

Start point: 0.95 (default is 0.00)

End point: 1.00 (default)

As said: still trying ... ;)

I must say, I'm finding the gaze tracking - in moderation, and as a complement to the head tracking - quite useful. I'll still have to tune my settings, for both kinds of settings, but I am definitely positively surprised by how well it already works.

AFAIK the head tracking isnt implemented yet...

And about the Eyex, i've bought it on a whim last year for Arma and E:D but it never satisfied me and im currently selling it on ebay, all in all my TrackIR does everything i need.

9 minutes ago, maffa said:

It definitely is; I've been using it. I think it wasn't in the first version of the software, but it's been in there for at least two weeks.

Oh ok, then either im remembering it bad or the site isnt updated yet. 

On 20/12/2016 at 11:18 AM, maffa said:

And about the Eyex, i've bought it on a whim last year for Arma and E:D but it never satisfied me and im currently selling it on ebay, all in all my TrackIR does everything i need.

On 20/12/2016 at 11:28 AM, thirith said:

It definitely is; I've been using it. I think it wasn't in the first version of the software, but it's been in there for at least two weeks.

There are a few notable differences between the older EyeX and the newer 4C.....

https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/212814329-What-s-the-difference-between-Tobii-Eye-Tracker-4C-and-Tobii-EyeX-

I have since ~3 months a Tobii Eyetracker 4C and must say it works amazing well.

I did not really change anything in configuration and left it on default, after a few weeks I got used with the tracking.

With new 64bit update the tracking is very smooth.

I'll keep this short to cover my disappointment....it's a piece of crap that will be getting sold on at a loss to me, the only decent thing that came in the box was a "free" code for Wildlands. 

Oh my trusty TrackIR....why did I ever doubt you? :face_palm:

I did tweak arround in the settings and found quite a very useful one for arma3.

So if there is anyone interested here my settings:

Section "Gaze tracking settings"

- Gaze tracking mode: Extended View

- Responsiveness 40% (default)

- Sensitivity

Speed 2.50

Exponent: 2.00 (default)

Inflection point: 0.80 (default)

Start point: 0.10

Section "Head tracking settings"

- Head tracking mode: Direct

- Responsiveness 100% (default)

- Sensitivity

Speed 7.50 (default)

Exponent 1.25 (default)

Inflection point: 0.50 (default)

Start point: 0.02 (default)

Section "Control features"

Enable/Disable key: Toggle, Oem102

Center view key: Mouse Right

I assigned the right mouse key to center view so that each time I do zoom in, the view remains centered.

Works very well for me. :smile_o:

Thanks for the tip about using Mouse Right as the center view key! I've not played around with my 4c all that much, but that makes great sense. I'll still have to find a good balance between head tracking and eye tracking (which I quite like for finer adjustments, but it doesn't feel natural yet), but I definitely enjoy what the 4c brings to helicopter flying especially. I should really take a couple of hours to just fly around and get used to the Hummingbird (I'm still used to A2/OA's helicopters) and to the 4c.

If the eye gaze is too nervous for you try to reduce the responsiveness to ~30% or increase the start point slightly.

But for my taste this makes the gaze too slow specially reducing responsiveness, better would be increasing start point.

The 4C needs a very disciplined eye movement, the more you use it the faster you will get used. :smile_o:

• Like 1

Quick follow-up: the control options I've set up in Tobii's Infinite Screen Extension (including Mouse Right as the center view key) don't seem to work. Do I have to launch the ISE as an admin for it to work, or is there some other trick?

Yup, I've got those. It might be the case that I launched the Infinite Screen Extension after launching the game; I'll have to test that.

Infinite Screen Extension needs to run and be started before the game

Nope, it doesn't work for me with the latest version of the software, with ISE running before the game. I've now sent a message to Tobii in the hope that they can help me.

Still, I've tried your other settings, maquez, and after a bit of getting used to they work well when I fly helicopters. That's also when I want head/eye tracking the most; it makes such a huge difference to be able to look at the horizon or the ground regardless of whether the nose of your helicopter is pointing up or down.

Sorry you need to explain you more clearly ...

What does not work, the controll features or the whole tracking ?

To set the controll features left click once the blue square then the desired key (in this case the right mouse button).

Do not forget to save all settings afterwards (button for that top right corner of ISE).

Should look like this if all is set correct:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gWUNu0kwK1eUJNWFppU0pqVXc/view?usp=sharing

The tracking works fine; it's just the keys (enable/disable and center view) that don't for some reason. I've set them, I've saved the settings, it's all there like in your screenshot, but the keys don't work.

Okay, quick update: the Steam A3 shortcut launches the A3 Launcher, and when I use that one, the extra keys don't work. If I launch arma3.exe or arma3_x64.exe directly, though, they work. Which is weird and kinda annoying, as I find the launcher pretty useful, but at least now I know how to get around the problem.

I use always the arma3 launcher but not with use of a shortcut, I do start the launcher instead direct from the steam client window (library).

Try this should work too.

Quick update 2: I was running the A3 launcher as admin, which for some reason meant that the keystrokes weren't passed on to the Infinite Screen Extender. I've now switched "Run as admin" off and it works as it should. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Do you guys find the "Tobii 4C" under Options/Controlls/Controller? Or is only the "Tobii EyeX" displayed even tho you use the later 4C controller like I do?

For me only Tobii EyeX controller is displayed and I wounder if thats why I have some issues. 

-And what about the head tracking? Is that implemented yet or not? Dosnt work for me, even tho I use ISE...

• Like 1