Sign in to follow this  
HuBBa

Cpp questions

Since the issue of ballistics have been one of great controversity and many people have their own interpretation (read guesses) on what areas in the CPP does what i thought i'd put the question here.

First i'll state what i've figured out so far (if im correct or not is another matter smile.gif

cfgAmmo:

hit=10; - Damage

indirectHit=5; - Indirect damage

indirectHitRange=0.100000; - Range ( distance from the hit where the indirect damage is applied)

minRange=1; - Min range an Ai would engage with this ammo.

minRangeProbab=0.100000; - What probability is it for the ai to engage (or is it hit) at this range.

midRange=1; - Mid range an Ai would engage with this ammo.

midRangeProbab=0.100000; - What probability is it for the ai to engage (or is it hit) at this range.

maxRange=1000; - Max range an Ai would engage with this ammo.

maxRangeProbab=0.100000; - What probability is it for the ai to engage (or is it hit) at this range.

cost=8; - Weight of the projectile

CfgWeapons

opticsZoomMin=0.012000; - how much zoom do we have at the MAXIMUM zoom factor (i assume this is in game terms, the FOV value)

opticsZoomMax=0.120000; - how much zoom do we have at the MINIMUM zoom factor (and again, this is probably a FOV value since higher values = less zoom)

distanceZoomMin=1200; - what distance is zeroed at the first zoom factor. (the opticsZoomMin)

distanceZoomMax=400; - what distance is zeroed at the second zoom factor (the opticsZoomMax)

initSpeed=760; - Muzzle velocity in mps

maxLeadspeed=900; - Max range in m (speed is a misnomer here if it's correct)

dispersion=0.0000100; - Barrel accuracy of the weapon.

K. have i misunderstood anything, have i forgotten anything? I've been trying to model a long range gun (M99 & V94) but haven't gotten 100% on the ballistics.

Please someone of the BIS Illuminati (hehehe) answer this tounge.gif

Have fun,

HuBBa

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">maxLeadspeed=900; - Max range in m (speed is a misnomer here if it's correct)

<span id='postcolor'>

You misunderstoot this. This is the max. assumed speed of target when "leading" the target - also known as deflection shooting.

ahh.. so it's in m/s then. oki

But what do we use to determine the ballistic trajectory then? InitSpeed and cost?

If for example we are to fire a .50 round from a barret, the maximum range for that bullet to retain kinetic energy is 6500 meters (according to the instruction video from the USMC Scout/Sniper patrols). But the muzzle velocity is only 2700 fps (860 something mps). So i assume we have to increase the cost factor a bit then since the trajectory should be flatter than firing a smaller bullet that far (which can be done theoretically given enough powder smile.gif

Your thoughts?

/HuBBa

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what do we use to determine the ballistic trajectory then? InitSpeed and cost? <span id='postcolor'>

- initSpeed from CfgWeapons class

- sideAirFriction from CfgAmmo class

"cost" have no relation to balistics. It is in US dollars and it is used when AI is selecting appropriate ammo against targets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ April 30 2002,12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"cost" have no relation to balistics. It is in US dollars and it is used when AI is selecting appropriate ammo against targets.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL

It's like in "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man"

When the guy is reloading his six-shooter

"two dollars, four dollars, 6 dollars, 8 dollars, 10 dollars, 12 dollars.........

sideAirFriction.. ahaaaaaaa.... what ranges do we have on those btw? 1-xxxx, 0.1-0.000000x?

smaller ammount == straight path, higher ammount = steeper trajectory? (ie. bullet drops quickly)

Btw. thanx for all the answers smile.gif This has been bugging me for several weeks now tounge.gif

/HuBBa

I think sideairfriction is mainly used for ... sideair.

Not so much general bulletdrop.

So wind IS affecting the bullets in OFP? I was under the impression that wind did not affect bullets.

IF it does, it would be VERY VERY VERY (add abotu 2000 more very =) nice to have a command that lets us know the wind strength plus a way to adjust the optics accordingly.

Suma or the other Illuminati bosses, we would love your comments here.

/HuBBa

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">smaller ammount == straight path, higher ammount = steeper trajectory? (ie. bullet drops quickly<span id='postcolor'>

It is air friction coeficient and it is used only for missiles. The higher, the less missile drops because of lateral air friction.

Only for missiles. ok. so if im to understand this correct now, there isn't any ballistic coefficient for a bullet defining what range the bullet will have? it's all based on the initSpeed?

/HuBBa

Hey Hubba! I made a tutorial about that quite some time ago..

You can find the full one here

But here's the basic:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-> 1. Lets take a look at the

scopeWeapon=2;

scopeMagazine=2;

The scopeWeapon command makes sure wether the weapon is a rifle (and displayed as such in the briefing) or a magazine.

The value "0" means it can't be displayed as weapon/magazine, the value "2" means it can.

-> 2. The magazine count

count=45;

You declare here how many bullets are in the magazine.

-> 3. The muzzle velocity

initSpeed=2000;

The initSpeed seems to be the muzzle velocity of the bullet. Normal values are around 900. Why do I choose 2000 for the G11? Because this seemed to improve accuracy in the burst mode..

The value units seems to be 'meter per second' (m/s)

-> 4. The range with full speed

maxLeadSpeed=1000;

MaxLeadSpeed seems to declare how far the bullet flies with full speed (the one from the muzzle velocity). The OFP engine calculates the projectiles flight curve out of the values InitSpeed and MaxLeadSpeed. For axample grenade launchers have only about "15" I think.

The value units seem to be 'meter'

-> 5. The ammunition type

ammo="BulletSingleW";

Here you declare what ammo type to use. If you need special ammunition make sure you created it in the CfgAmmo section

(I may release a tutorial on that, too)

-> 6. The shots being fired

burst=1;

This declares how many rounds are fired in this mode. Only in the burst mode declaration you write "3" there.

-> 7. The dispersion

dispersion=0.000100;

This declares what dispersion the bullet has. Generally the higher this value is, the less precise is the weapon.

I'm not sure wether the value unit type has something to do with 1moa (Minute Of Angle = 2,908....cm at 100m)

-> 8. The reload speed in the fire mode

reloadTime=0.150000;

This is the speed of the fire mode. Basically it's the cyclic rate /Rounds per minute.

You can calculate it this way: 60/rpm - means 60 seconds divided by the value for the rounds per miniute. Exemple?

RPM=800, then 60/800 = 0.075000

-> 9. don't know really

ffCount=1;

This must be the same value as the burst value

-> 10. The recoil

recoil="riffleBurst3";

This is the value for the recoil. I'll make a tutorial on this later..

-> 11. Automatic fire??

autoFire=1;

Declares wether this is an automatic fire mode or not. Unit type value is either "0" (no) or "1"(yes)

-> 12. AI rate of fire

aiRateOfFire=5.000000;

This declares how many bullets the AI (the computer controled soldiers) will fire with the weapon in the choosen fire mode.

-> 13. AI fire range

aiRateOfFireDistance=500;

Here you can declare on what range the AI will use the weapon. Default value is "500" - unity type seems to be meters.

However, when making an SMG you may want this value lower, like 50 or 100 meters to add more realism.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yep. already read it. It contains the same miscomprehension i had.

maxLeadspeed is the speed of the target that you LEAD with the sight. Not the metal lead that we use for bullets smile.gif

What i've seen so far is that only the initSpeed seems to affect how far the bullet goes.

going to check some more though =)

/HuBBa