graemeshute

Take over squad leadership role from AI Squad leader-3Den mission.

Hi there

I have tried for two days to ascertain how does one play a "low ranked" human controlled Rifleman in a Squad of AI controlled units on a search and destroy mission. And then half way through said Eden mission. The AI Squad leader grants you control of his 6 man Squad, with you now being able to control the units. I am part of the squad grouped. I cant find the working syntax for is Leader of or set leader. I also doubt a way point on me of Join will work as I am already part of the unit from the start. Unless said unit is disbanded only to join and lead later. I know there is a Mission in the original Cold war crises in Red hammer. You play half way through and are given squad level command.

Also unit swapping via playable also is not what I want.

2 hours ago, theend3r said:

Do you know about the wiki? Did you try to search for leader?

I believe its something to do with set Leader or is Leader. But I just cant get it to work.

7 minutes ago, mrcurry said:

I don't think I was maybe as clear as I could have been, but that would have added to this already long winded post.

"I cant find the working syntax for is Leader of or set leader."

Basically I cant get that command to work. I looked for additional tutorials on setting up of the actual system. And I cant get it to work

2 hours ago, graemeshute said:

I don't think I was maybe as clear as I could have been, but that would have added to this already long winded post.

"I cant find the working syntax for is Leader of or set leader."

Basically I cant get that command to work. I looked for additional tutorials on setting up of the actual system. And I cant get it to work

Syntax is at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/selectLeader, under syntax. :tounge_o:

Maybe you wanted to say that you don't know how scripting works in arma? In that case copy the first example from the wiki page to on actiavtion window in a trigger. I just tried it to change my 99% certainty to 100% and it works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theend3r said:

Syntax is at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/selectLeader, under syntax. :tounge_o:

Maybe you wanted to say that you don't know how scripting works in arma? In that case copy the first example from the wiki page to on actiavtion window in a trigger. I just tried it to change my 99% certainty to 100% and it works.

Sir...in my most patient voice if I could have done as you so politely pointed out like abracadabra decipher below

Example 1:

group player selectLeader player;

Example 2:

Make unit a leader from server:[group _unit, _unit] remoteExec ["selectLeader", groupOwner group _unit];

I wouldn't be here now would I? I tried placing this group player selectLeader player; in a trigger. Guess what it didn't work. Group? What group? Group ID? Tried that. Give a group a name tried that. Gave myself a name. Tried that. There is no other supplied info.

The issue is people like me have with these forums. There is no simple point for point step one. Create a playable character called John. Give john a way point of Move. In Move way point add this text (COPY THIS) in the initialization.

So pointing me to things I can Google myself is not much help no offense.

3 hours ago, graemeshute said:

Sir...in my most patient voice if I could have done as you so politely pointed out like abracadabra decipher below

Example 1:

group player selectLeader player;

Example 2:

Make unit a leader from server:[group _unit, _unit] remoteExec ["selectLeader", groupOwner group _unit];

I wouldn't be here now would I? I tried placing this group player selectLeader player; in a trigger. Guess what it didn't work. Group? What group? Group ID? Tried that. Give a group a name tried that. Gave myself a name. Tried that. There is no other supplied info.

The issue is people like me have with these forums. There is no simple point for point step one. Create a playable character called John. Give john a way point of Move. In Move way point add this text (COPY THIS) in the initialization.

So pointing me to things I can Google myself is not much help no offense.

OK, sorry for the smartass responses. How I tested the command:

1. put two units in the editor:

a high ranking unit

low ranking player and group him to the other unit

2. Start the mission, player is not the leader of the group

3. Use the debug console to execute (group player) selectLeader player

4. Player becomes the leader, the command works

Your problem therefore isn't the command or syntax, it's in the trigger, which probably isn't firing for some reason. Maybe it's an MP mission and then using player may not work, so try naming the player unit, eg. unit1, and try executing (group unit1) selectLeader unit1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theend3r said:

OK, sorry for the smartass responses. How I tested the command:

1. put two units in the editor:

a high ranking unit

low ranking player and group him to the other unit

2. Start the mission, player is not the leader of the group

3. Use the debug console to execute (group player) selectLeader player

4. Player becomes the leader, the command works

Your problem therefore isn't the command or syntax, it's in the trigger, which probably isn't firing for some reason. Maybe it's an MP mission and then using player may not work, so try naming the player unit, eg. unit1, and try executing (group unit1) selectLeader unit1.

Thanks for the reply. I will test now. I enjoy the witty replies. But genuinely my skills is average on these matters and it gets a bit frustrating because it was done in OFP so in theory it should be doable in Arma 3. Especially working on a mission for a week now and being stumped by just this one thing. Perseverance hey?

I doubt its because its multiplayer. i often mainly set my missions up to be single player. That is even as far as setting AI units to not playable. Reading your Code you used brackets (group unit1) selectLeader unit1.. BIS Code is group player selectLeader player;

However i tested this on remote exec. You right it works. But on a trigger...Nothing. Said Trigger is set to activate on OPFOR-my  group faction, unit named unit1. i am corporal and team leader is Sargent. I have included in activation hint"IT WORKS" so it will display the text if it fires. Again must be the Trigger.

Success:)

I recreated a clean test mission in Virtual. Set a trigger. Copied text from forum and pasted it. It didn't fire. Then recreated a new trigger and now it worked. I am on Dev build and I have occasionally noticed triggers sometimes don't work and then with the exact same code creating a new trigger it works flawlessly. So thanks theend3r

• Like 1

Way to stick it out guys.  Lesser men would have got pissed off and walked away.  :)