Gunter Severloh

You've played to much Arma when:

You know you've played to much Arma when your slim, trim, jacked and ripped,

all those hours you clocked in have to account for something 😄

7yox9x47ozh71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

On 7/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, jarrad96 said:

I’m no longer in serious danger, started slowly trying to walk again and on the way to a several month recovery now just with a bunch of new impressive scars everywhere and some other longer term complications but wanted to share what’s now my biggest ‘You’ve Played Too Much Arma’ moment. 

Its good to read that you're on the mend, and I don't think your 'You’ve Played Too Much Arma’ moment will be beaten (not that its a competition, but if it was I am fairly confident you'd win 😄).

I don't know you personally but as a fellow member of the "ArmA Family" I wish you all the best in your recovery.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, jarrad96 said:

I’m in hospital at the moment, multiple internal organs failed and I was rushed to hospital, and when they had me on the harder drugs in Emergency/ICU on life support I was having Arma based vivid hallucinations while still awake, and trying to write to the nurses about CSAT Pacific (I was intubated but aware, so unable to speak) which was terrifying at the time but almost absurd in hindsight that I was hallucinating this game I’ve put over six thousand hours into by this point.

I’m no longer in serious danger, started slowly trying to walk again and on the way to a several month recovery now just with a bunch of new impressive scars everywhere and some other longer term complications but wanted to share what’s now my biggest ‘You’ve Played Too Much Arma’ moment. 

That's quite a high price to pay for such an experience. How was your framerate?

PS, Get well soon.

I wrote my last comment here while high out of my mind, I'm now out of hospital and looking at 6 months to a year to recover. I can walk again now but not longer distances and am still in pain daily, but it's alot better than I was then. Here's a single post to recap but but I don't want to go offtopic in any more posts. 

It turns out multiple internal organs not working was really really bad, and it’s basically piled on top of some childhood complications I have as well to worsen my situation. My intestines knotted themselves, causing myself to start vomiting blood and clots, so I immediately went to hospital via ambulance. In triage they attempted to get a camera down my throat 6 times but I was vomiting so much blood at the time it was not possible, so I went into ICU and was also given extra blood via IV.

Surgery was much more complicated due to previous surgery and scarring I'd had as a child, so they had to operate two times and removed 65 centimetres of my small intestine and totally disconnected/disabled my large intestine. It turns out having several surgeries in short succession and the scarring from that is incredibly, incredibly painful even though I was unable to move at all at this point. One of the areas operated on developed a sepsis infection, and the intestines being removed there actually meant my lung then collapsed as nothing was supporting underneath it and it deflated/failed on impact and got sepsis as well.

I spent 16 days on emergency oxygen, was intubated 3 separate times and on various masks/devices but eventually I was able to breathe again without external oxygen and my lungs have since fully recovered from their failure, should hopefully be no permanent damage. While intubated I was apparently of great interest to the medical team as I was aware/awake and able to communicate via writing on my phone rather than being a complete wreck or doped out of their mind like most intubated people apparently are normally. This high pain tolerance/resistance to knockout drugs meant I woke up mid-operation while they were stapling a monitoring device into the veins of my arm, as well as me being awake while they pulled all the surgical staples from my chest. I would highly NOT recommend experiencing either if you can. All this was, to think positively, an excellent weight loss program, as I dropped to 49 Kilograms / 108 pounds in body weight very quickly. Here's a photo of me from around that time-

image0.jpg

I was first put on morphine but it eventually the pain was so severe I lost all sensation in my lower body so was upped to Hydromorphone, 7 times as strong as regular morphine, for a considerable amount of the worst of my visit. Eventually I dropped from the hydromorphone, as they were really worried about addiction, to opiates, which were my primary painkiller while trying to walk again and using a wheelchair, then walker. The internal damage and scarring to my intestines was particularly bad and the main cause of pain, and I had a stoma which was not functioning fully properly so was loosing from 1.6 up to 6.7 litres of fluids a day which was totally unsustainable. Eventually I was able to walk again, but it can still be difficult, and I was (and still am) in regular pain from my intestines re-arranging themselves and pressing against the scars, which has been forcing stitches underneath to move around and in a few cases force their way out of my skin. Not fun. 

At this point they gave me two weeks to live and moved to much more drastic measures, upping my medications to 74 a day, 6 injections a day and IV fluids via picc line (plastic tube into my veins) which was enough to stabilise me better in addition to high amounts of electrolyte replacements, injections diet changes and medications that I'm still currently on months later, but it's dropped to 64 a day instead of the 70's and no IV anymore. I was at extremely high risk of dehydration still after all this, but then a minor COVID outbreak happened so I was discharged after about 2 months in hospital. The night before I was discharged the person next to me died, to give an idea of the kind of ward I was in.

I've been back to emergency twice since, once due to complications with my intestines and a few days ago, when the extended picc line I had running into my heart developed an infection and threated that organ but ER got the line pulled before the infection managed to spread that far. I'm currently able to walk without a wheelchair or walker, but not longer distances and basically taking it day by day with the pain, but hey, I'm alive. On the positive side I found out that I had graduated from University while I was attempting to learn to walk again, which, along with trying to spite the doctor who gave me two weeks when I'm in my 20's, helped motivate me to keep going-my family also visited regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dam Jarrad!

Thats alot to take on, thats pretty messed up, happy at least your back home and on the path to recovery.

If your interested in something to help heal and repair the intestinal aspect of your health issues, theres a couple you should look into

those are L-Glutimine and Lion's Mane which is a mushroom known to rebuild nerves functions, reverse alzeimers, parkisons, and heal and repair intestinal issues.

Theres alot of things you can do naturally to speed up the recovery but for the Glutamine take a look at this page it talks about various things that glutimine can repair and heal

which includes those things you talked about https://www.centerforinternalmed.com/blog/can-your-leaky-gut-benefit-from-glutamine

Happy at least the real danger is out of the way, i would hate to have to say goodbye to another Arma brother and visit your memorial ingame, 😄

Keep us posted on how things are going though, and hope your able to get back to this beloved game of ours too.

On top of what Gunther suggested I myself, my dad and my buddy in a wheelchair (that in itself causes major gut issues) have had miraculous success with an herb called Slippery Elm. It also helps revitalize the intestines corrected the mucous membranes among other things. My dad had bleeding ulcers for years and I used to have really bad nausea which would send me to the ER couple times a year. Slippery elm powder 3x day saved each of our issues

anyways I’m not a doc and don’t want to act like I have the answer - just a suggestion. Wish you all the best on your health and recovery amigo

~frogs

• Like 1

When you realize you've hit the 20 year mark

<<<<<<<<< I can't believe it has been this long

• Like 4

You've played to much Arma when you talk about the game to everyone in almost every situation 😄

34ym3y8ndfq71.jpg?width=640&height=640&c

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've played to much Arma when you know every scene in the YAAB benchmark inside and out.

• Like 3

To be truthful, health is what will stop quite a few from playing, probably dexterity issues.

I think on the whole players are probably at the older end of the gaming scale. So those that played ofp and each version beyond that, who perhaps were in their 20/30/40's when it came out, are pushing anywhere between 40-60+ yrs old now.

I'm at the top end of that scale and age helps very few of us, dexterity wise.

• Like 1

For me it has gone to the point where I spend time in the editor instead of playing the actual missions 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalle M. said:

For me it has gone to the point where I spend time in the editor instead of playing the actual missions 😄

I spend more time in Object Builder (which I still call O2) and Buldozer than I do even booting up the actual game...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great comments but ... title of the thread is ..." You've played to much Arma when"  keep the poetic vibe going.

• Like 3

I don't have time to play. I'm in charge of BLUFOR fighting against OPFOR. No retirement!

• Like 4

You know youve played too much Arma when you spent the last year and a half away,spent it modding maps for a completely different game as if it was a fulltime job,checked timeplayed on steam and realise  Arma still has 2000+ hours more than anything else.

• Like 4

You've played to much Arma when you recognize camouflage patterns from the game

Altian Forces base anyone?

80ij9chpiog81.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You've played to much Arma

When your part of the Red Cross and you've played to much Arma

and take it a bit to seriously that you start thinking up stupid shit like this

kpeov0euahn81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Haha 2

You know you've played to much Arma when you can make the engine do what you want through code.

This one goes out to all you master Arma coders! Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know when you've played to much Arma when you own an MX rifle for home defense 😂

You know you've played to much Arma when you see characters from the game in real life

qjn3enohka4a1.jpg

• Haha 2