seriously

Arma 3 Concealment on Tanoa

Here is my latest video on concealment - 

What do you guys think about concealment? Is it a practical knowledge to apply? 

What do you all think about Bohemia's latest Tanoa ghillie? Personally I really like it.

I do think Bohemia should release rifle skins that are shaded better than the current ones.
  • Like 7

I'd say Yes. Concealment is something that can become very handy. Your concealment can mean the difference between surviving 60 minutes and surviving 5 minutes. 
The ghillies in the game are amazing, i use them all the time and especially with Tanoa and those big hills i can easily set up a vantage point from almost anywhere :) 
What i do for sniper rifles is that i hide within bushes and nearby trees, that way i can blend in and hide my weapon as good as possible!

Nice vid, what do you guys think about silenced rifles in general as a form of "concealment"?

I mean, if the enemy can't hear you shooting that's a big advantage for you, they get hit and drop, and their mates look round wondering "Where the hell did that come from?"

Problem is the silencer reduces muzzle velocity which gives the bullets a less-accurate rainbow trajectory and lower kinetic hitting power, so silenced rifles have a shorter effective range, what do you think?

I guess the effort and level of concealment depends on whether playing with AI or on multiplayer, or whether looking to squeeze out more realism from Arma 3.

Certainly agree with pooroldspike, silencers and non-tracer ammunition will help keep a concealed position concealed, even through diminishing muzzle flash at night.

One thing to take into account (imo), concealment will depend on distance and other player's settings. Arma strips away vegetation at certain distances and players can adjust their own view distances, so while you may think you're crawling across a grass filled field, bad guys will just see some guy crawling across the field in certain circumstances.

Nice vid!

On 18/12/2016 at 10:02 AM, pooroldspike said:

Problem is the silencer reduces muzzle velocity which gives the bullets a less-accurate rainbow trajectory and lower kinetic hitting power, so silenced rifles have a shorter effective range, what do you think?

Modern silencers don't reduce muzzle velocity, either in real life or in the game. The very early silencers from WW2 did but that style hasn't been used for decades.

Silencers can actually increase the muzzle velocity because they extend the barrel.

On 20/12/2016 at 4:32 PM, GBee2 said:

Modern silencers don't reduce muzzle velocity, either in real life or in the game. The very early silencers from WW2 did but that style hasn't been used for decades.

Silencers can actually increase the muzzle velocity because they extend the barrel.

In that case why aren't all modern rifles fitted with silencers if there's nothing to lose and everything to gain?

I believe there are a few disadvantages from what I've read, though I'm not an expert:

• Cost - they aren't cheap enough to issue routinely.
  • Limited lifespan - While they don't wear out as quickly as the earliest examples - some were only good for a single shot, they still aren't suitable for prolonged use. They are particularly susceptible to overheating issues.
  • Limited manoeuvrability - They increase the weight of the weapon at the point furthest from the pivot point, making it harder to aim, increasing weapon sway etc. They significantly lengthen the barrel of rifles making the weapon harder to use in tight spaces (including around vegetation etc)
  • Cleaning - They can be affected adversely by dust and dirt, requiring more regular cleaning of the weapon.
  • Like 1

Also, many times you want it loud and intimidating! Shock and awe goes a long way, especially when you consider professional soldiers are trained to run towards fire and not away, as is the basic human instinct ;)

• Like 1

Incidentally, returning to the concealment topic, I just ran some Ghillie suit tests in the 'Weapon Tests' sticky thread in my post titled- 

'Ghillies provide thermal concealment'.

One thing that struck me from the video, is where it recommends that you crawl a lot, which you do, but it has a disadvantage which is obvious in the video and which isn't mentioned - it crushes the grass and other plants creating a wide trail which can be followed by the enemy.

Now I don't actually know if the flattened grass is visible to others in multiplayer, but if it was ...