Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

4096px Textures ok?

I have some buildings in the works that are very big and have some large surfaces on them, so for textures like _AS and _MC it would be very practical with textures that are 4096x4096px.

I don't ever recall having seen textures that size used before, will this be an issue?

does it work: yes.

does it mip-map correctly - not really

issues is when the game mip-maps that for everyone not using the ultra setting for textures, and the resulted 2k is worse than a directly created textures is. Plus, 4k textures have a tendency of being switched down quite fast by the engine

Ah, for shame. Any other suggestions for this issue then?

Use the multi-shader...eh...shader.  Very powerful if you use it to its full potential, and way, way better than 4096x4096.

Use the multi-shader...eh...shader.  Very powerful if you use it to its full potential, and way, way better than 4096x4096.

Are you talking about the _DT and _MC texture? 

Are you talking about the _DT and _MC texture? 

Silly me, i never read the full post.....

Not meaning to hijack this thread but If anyone would be interested in showing me some examples on how to use _MC and _DT textures im all ear. I´ve always used them as procedural textures. 

if the size is pretty big, the second UV set means the texel density is gonna be pretty low (the one used for ADS and MC and MASk). So there is no relation to using or not multimat (yes, for structures one should always use multimats). In any case, the solution is to use split it into 2 multimats (one more section count, i know - you can get away with using the same 4 textures if really needed, although i would take advantage of the second one and use more textures if possible).

Not meaning to hijack this thread but If anyone would be interested in showing me some examples on how to use _MC and _DT textures im all ear. I´ve always used them as procedural textures.

MC use example:

here it is, for shit and giggles all textures are 512x512 minus the MC that is 2K (to mimic the lack of resolution and the fact that you can have a very crisp MC overlay) - just unzip in your p drive

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/105462541215358976/251864882348032010/mc_example.7z

EDIT:

Question yourself better if it is really worth the filesize/performance impact ect. compared to the detail you can get out with it.

I would rather use multimateral tech on big surfaces.

read above for reasons why it doesn't matter if you are using a single multimat for a very big structure...if you don't know how multimats work then don't post at all

Question yourself better if it is really worth the filesize/performance impact ect. compared to the detail you can get out with it.

I would rather use multimateral tech on big surfaces.

if the size is pretty big, the second UV set means the texel density is gonna be pretty low (the one used for ADS and MC and MASk). So there is no relation to using or not multimat (yes, for structures one should always use multimats). In any case, the solution is to use split it into 2 multimats (one more section count, i know - you can get away with using the same 4 textures if really needed, although i would take advantage of the second one and use more textures if possible).

It doesn't matter much if the texel density is low for the ADS or AO since these maps can usually be down sized once or twice.  The low texel density for MC and MASK is a compromise but if enough attention is paid to the MC and MASK, it's more than worth it.  Like you said, 4096x4096 doesn't mip-map correctly anyways, so even if you use 4096x4096 it's going to look like 512x512, so a person might as well use multi-shader. 

The AO, MC and MASK can be up to 2048x2048 with the multishader and you won't even notice it mipmapping in game even if you have the texture quality set on high.  (For me I need my texture quality set on very high to truly show 2048x2048)

The most important map is the diffuse and normal.  The diffuse and normal has to have a high texel density.  As far as not being able to use normal maps for certain area, i.e. to show a round or smooth edge, you can simply model it with negligible performance lost like they do in Star Citizen.

Of course there's certain parts that have to be highres, like a poster on a wall or a light switch.  These parts can be on a separate texture, probably on a 1024x1024.  Something else too since the multishader has four texture sets you can blend a good idea is to use the last texture set as kind of a decal and adjusting the UV to fit the decal you need, such as flat light switches, electrical outlets .etc.

Also, you can use multi-shader on other large objects besides structures, like ships ;) 

It doesn't matter much if the texel density is low for the ADS or AO since these maps can usually be down sized once or twice.  The low texel density for MC and MASK is a compromise but if enough attention is paid to the MC and MASK, it's more than worth it.  Like you said, 4096x4096 doesn't mip-map correctly anyways, so even if you use 4096x4096 it's going to look like 512x512, so a person might as well use multi-shader. 

The AO, MC and MASK can be up to 2048x2048 with the multishader and you won't even notice it mipmapping in game even if you have the texture quality set on high.  (For me I need my texture quality set on very high to truly show 2048x2048)

The most important map is the diffuse and normal.  The diffuse and normal has to have a high texel density.  As far as not being able to use normal maps for certain area, i.e. to show a round or smooth edge, you can simply model it with negligible performance lost like they do in Star Citizen.

Of course there's certain parts that have to be highres, like a poster on a wall or a light switch.  These parts can be on a separate texture, probably on a 1024x1024.  Something else too since the multishader has four texture sets you can blend a good idea is to use the last texture set as kind of a decal and adjusting the UV to fit the decal you need, such as flat light switches, electrical outlets .etc.

Also, you can use multi-shader on other large objects besides structures, like ships ;)

lol, you are explaining the bible to the preacher. In any case, since the MC and ADS combo works for shadows as well, i can imagine that using a single multimat for an entire building (interior and exterior) like this one  might be a problem for the texel density 

• Like 1

lol i know.  It's more for my benefit than anything else.  It's more of me bouncing my ideas off you looking for any additional advice or suggestions.

MC use example:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/105462541215358976/251864882348032010/mc_example.7z

EDIT:

read above for reasons why it doesn't matter if you are using a single multimat for a very big structure...if you don't know how multimats work then don't post at all

Thanks alot! I was totally unaware you could change UV map withing the rvmat itself, this explained all of my questions regarding the _MC texture. This is really powerfull. 

U got any good examples regarding the _DT texture aswell?