DancingCorpse

1.66 Audio issue with footsteps

The quality of sounds in my opinion has gone down. Sounds are oversimplified based on the surface you are stepping on, meaning if you for example step over one of those fences made of rocks that sometimes surround houses and have cracks in them, you will hear the same pebble dropping sound as if you are on top of a mountain. Same wood screeching sound on every step in some houses. Same muffled echoing on others, regardless of size of room. 

And about steps, after 2 years it's the first time I don't enjoy playing Arma at all anymore. I was closing in on 3k hours, I can't even get myself to open the game anymore. No sound of enemies whatsoever when you are in a house at a different floor, no sound of steps if there's rain outside (it's not muffled or anything, the rain completely blocks any foot steps) and the ever present sound of your own steps 5 meters behind you. My aim is not great so I rely on sound a lot. And right now it's terrible.

Every patch you have 2-3 good changes and a fuck ton of mishaps, some of them make me wonder if you actually tested any of them.

Are we ever going to get the fix to this pushed to Stable branch?  It HAD been fixed in Dev Branch for the longest time and now people are reporting it's broken in Dev Branch AGAIN.

Dancing, my intrusion in your post now make me confused. 

Are you speaking about ''behind'' positioning of own footsteps, or the absence of footsteps sound in some case? 

Tested just now the dev branch, the ''behind'' issue still seems to be ok, solved. Not problem at all for me in Editor or MP.

Absence of footsteps issue instead still persist.

Ok sorry big news, i just receive the 1.67.139940 dev branch update. 

All the two issues solved in EDITOR!!! I cant be able to test the ''absence'' issue in MP with the Dev Branch, but think and hope is the same. 

I have to UPDATE the ticket!!!

I'm also experiencing severe issues related to sound with the current build. I cannot hear footsteps 2 meters away or someone walking in the same house. I have to keep the game sounds very low since the guns and explosions are deafeningly loud and painful to fire should I try to increase the volume so I could hear footsteps. And no need to give the answer that they should be loud. None of my friends or people I've talked to have this issue and they can hear footsteps so clearly it is an issue that some people have and some don't.

Currently I have plantronic 788 and I have the same issue with my previous headset as well as with Xonar soundcard that I tested in order to try to work around this. As a result I often these days end up listening music while playing arma since I can't get usable audio info from the game.

I went to play today and I noticed that I'm no longer able to tell the direction when people are shooting (even when they are not shooting at me). I checked all of my settings from the game and from windows and they are the same as they should be. This is beyond silly and I'll wait for things to get fixed before playing again. Meanwhile I'll reinstall the game tomorrow with clean settings to see if that helps. It seems quite possible that it is my client that is somehow messed up since no patch came but I just don't know how to fix this. And also all of this started with the new sound engine and this is the only game that is causing problems like this to me.

Edit: To clarify it is as if the depth of sound and direction no longer function. I might hear a sound but that is pretty much all of the information that I get, it sounds like all of the sounds are either right on top of me or a quiet whisper in the wind from far away places.

Edited by Rehtiossi
  • Like 1

Maybe someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. When I download a file to test my surround sound all is good, but when I try to use them on youtube, the sound from the rear speakers comes out of the center channel. This is the case in Arma as well because when I'm playing and there's a succession of bombs going off and I look in all directions, the center, left, right and sub all work great, but when it should be coming from behind me, it's coming from the center and it sounds hollow as if the polarity was reversed on 1 speaker....but obviously there's only 1 center speaker. As I said earlier, when I play a sound file through the VLC player all of the sounds come out how they are supposed to, just not when the sounds are coming from the internet. That's why it's baffling to me! It works fine in one manner but not another.

I'll add that I have a HDMI splitter to give me fiber optic to my stereo because it's an older receiver. it's an "aLLreLi" converter.